What exactly is an athlete??

RachelRoberts2

Hello Whole30rs!

I was hoping that someone could help me out on this question. Could someone please clarify what it means to be an athlete? I played collegiate basketball, then professionally for a year overseas, I think I have a slightly tainted idea of what being an athlete means. I now workout (admittedly probably too much) 6-7 days a week for about 60-90 minutes. I love doing crossfit inspired workouts at my gym (I coach college basketball and have a free membership, not going to pay for another one!) as well as running intervals etc. I know long runs are not supported by a large percentage of the Paleo community but I really love doing it! (especially after years of not having control of my own workouts)

I just thought we could come up with a distinct definition almost! I am not out cycling 4 hours a day or training for a MMA fight, but I was wondering if I would be considered an athlete? I would love to join crossfit when I have some extra funds available and would love to train for a marathon! Still, I don't particularly consider myself an athlete, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any and all of your thoughts!

• Administrators

That is a LOT of exercise you're getting! 

Google defines "athlete" as: person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

The dictionary defines "athlete" as: one who participates in physical exercise or sports

One more dictionary definition: a person who is trained in or good at sports, games or exercises that require physical skill and strength

It's all relative and open for interpretation, I think.  If you would like to define yourself as an athlete, you go right ahead!  :)

An athlete doesn't have to be a high school or college pro.   An athlete can be anyone who is able to peform at any level of physical activity  with discipline and dedication.

Individuals in the military, steel workers, your grass-fed cattle ranchers, "deadliest catch" fishermen, carpenters who build your home are athletes.    Hard working men and women are athletes.   The beauty of brawn and true physical strength is in the eye of the beholder.

I am so glad to read this topic.  

I am 44 and have been working out 5 days a week since August.  I work out between and hour and 2 hours each of those days, a spin class each day as well as weight lifting 2 or 3 times a week.  While I am not competing at anything, nor do I consider myself an athlete.. I thought that looking her would help since I do work out consistently.  I wanted to look at the topic because I am on day 10 and eating according to plan BUT I sometimes get hungry a couple hours after a meal.  I don't stuff myself at a meal but I definitely don't limit my intake either.  I eat until I am satisfied.   I eat have added extra fat to meals but it is still happening and I am wondering what else I can do to help this.  

Also, I am feeling a bit weak in my workouts.. is that normal for this stage in the game?

While I am not competing at anything, nor do I consider myself an athlete.. I thought that looking her would help since I do work out consistently. 

To be clear: anyone who is interested is welcome to read and to post in the "whole30 for athletes" forum. We do not evaluate your credentials. You may find some advice is better suited for your personal context than other advice, but that is the same everywhere. welcome.  :)

• Moderators

I am so glad to read this topic.  

I am 44 and have been working out 5 days a week since August.  I work out between and hour and 2 hours each of those days, a spin class each day as well as weight lifting 2 or 3 times a week.  While I am not competing at anything, nor do I consider myself an athlete.. I thought that looking her would help since I do work out consistently.  I wanted to look at the topic because I am on day 10 and eating according to plan BUT I sometimes get hungry a couple hours after a meal.  I don't stuff myself at a meal but I definitely don't limit my intake either.  I eat until I am satisfied.   I eat have added extra fat to meals but it is still happening and I am wondering what else I can do to help this.  

Also, I am feeling a bit weak in my workouts.. is that normal for this stage in the game?

Are you including pre- and/or post-workout meals? A hard workout between 60 and 120 minutes would certainly merit extra food. You must feed the machine!

I'm with MeadowLily: One's athleticism is informed by the context. being an athlete can mean vastly different things for different people. That said, when it comes to posting in the W30 for Athletes forum I generally preface my questions and insights with my activity levels so as to give others the information needed to understand my post.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with MeadowLily: One's athleticism is informed by the context. being an athlete can mean vastly different things for different people. That said, when it comes to posting in the W30 for Athletes forum I generally preface my questions and insights with my activity levels so as to give others the information needed to understand my post.

Great- woot woot! I guess  I will let myself be an athlete again! I will take your advice and preface any and all of my questions in this section of the forum with my activity level! Great idea :)

Thank you all for helping me come to this conclusion. I love that everybody is supportive of the idea that everyone can be an athlete :)

• 4 weeks later...

Rachel, I'd call you an athlete for sure.  I'm playing amateur competetive tennis (8-10 hours per week) and teaching Zumba, and I find I need to eat more like an athlete than not.  I definitely need more that 3 meals.  So far, so good.  Shape is changing, I eat when I'm hungry, and it's been easy.  I finished my first Whole30 yesterday and and have been "treating" myself for Valentine's Day.  Not really a reat, considering the way it makes me feel.  I'll be going back on the plan tomorrow....:-)

Archived