Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Thanks for the message.  I am participating in the Whole30 for Lent group - but I never considered it a sacrifice on my part - it was more of a nice timing issue and hoping I could stick with it since Lent was ongoing. I was raised Lutheran, so did not get the whole Lent insistence on sacrifice.  I appreciate your reflection on this.  Our church has also encouraged us to 'do something for Lent' instead of giving things up.  From one introvert to another - it is draining to be around people at times.  You have reached out to me - you can count me as one of your reachout cases... :) Thanks for the inspiration!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 38

In bed last night with lights out by 1130 and then slept until 9 am! (Up once for BR at 0430). It was so nice :)

Took the boy to get a laptop (one for myself to) that I had promised home for college (yeah, so I'm a bunch of months late). Then I headed to the gym. Broke 300 miles for the year today! Yeah me!

Home to cook dinner to take to work. Tonight doesn't look too bad, just wishing I had taken a nap this afternoon. But I'll make it through and then I will be off for the weekend.

M1: 2 SB eggs, marinara sauce

M2: salmon salad made with homemade mayo and dill pickle relish

M3: shrimp snd zoodles sauteed in ghee and garlic, kiwi, orange

Day 39

Home from work at 830 this am.  I canceled the Apple workshop I was going to due to the weather.  I woke up about 2pm and we already had an inch or so of snow on the ground.  I putz around for a while, not wanting to drive to the gym since the snow was supposed to turn to freezing rain.  So, I finally got on the treadmill in the basement and got 5 miles in.  Then I cleaned the house and rearranged the furniture in the living room.  I realized how late it was and figured I better make dinner, but since cleaning the house meant cleaning out the fridge, I didn't have much to choose from.  (It didn't help that I wasn't hungry so couldn't decide what I wanted.)  Ended up with my standby - sweet potato hash.  However, I burned the sweet potato and had to start over with a regular potato (which was quite green - hope it doesn't upset my tummy).  The bright spot is that I found some of my dads homemade venison breakfast sausage in the freezer!  :wub:   So, I made enough for tonight, breakfast tomorrow and there are a few more patties in the fridge for later in the week.

M1:  chicken thigh, mashed rutabaga

M2:  chicken thigh, banana

M3:  potato hash with mushrooms and onions cooked in cider.  venison sausage, 3 eggs fried

When I was cooking dinner, I suddenly thought how much better it would be with milk gravy - esp my grandmas milk gravy.  (sausage and bacon grease, white flour and milk).  Soooooo NOT compliant.  It was just a passing thought, but as I was eating, it came back.  It really would have been better with the gravy!

I love that you are keeping track of your miles for the year! I haven't done much walking or running so far in 2015 but I'd love to start keeping track once I do! 

Enjoyed your thoughts about Lent, I was raised in an independent Baptist church so it really wasn't a part of my church experience but I have been thinking about it more recently and just found a study (an app even!) that I can do leading up to Lent. 

Congratulations on finishing your first 30 days, you have accomplished so much already this year.

I love that you are keeping track of your miles for the year! 

Abbyn,

The reason that I am tracking my miles for the year is that I am participating in the 2015 in 2015 virtual challenge.  Goal:  to walk/run (or crawl) 2,015 miles during the year.  That's an average of 5.5 miles a day.  I started a week and a half late but have managed to catch up and am even a tiny bit ahead of goal for the month.  

Day 40

Sunday (church day)

Started with breakfast at my desk as I was trying to get some church work done (that I was behind on).  Ate about 1/2 of what I had packed - kept forgetting it was sitting there since I wasn't hungry.  For lunch we went out to eat.  I had ordered a burger (no cheese, no bun) with smoked pulled pork (no sauce).  Unfortunately, it was so dry that I couldn't eat it and sent it back.  By the time church had finished for the evening, I was so hungry.  DD really wanted Chinese and I couldn't see having to wait to get home and cook - so picked up Chinese for me too. 

Wasn't feeling the gym today, even though I had my bag packed and in the car.  Guess I will go tomorrow.

M1:  1 1/2 eggs, small amount potato/mushroom/onion hash, venison sausage patty

M2:  side salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato - no dressing), baked potato (dry), a couple bites of burger and smoked pork

M3:  steamed veggies and chicken that I flavored with sesame oil and mirin

Have you found a compliant mirin? I thought they all contain sugar in some shape or form.

OMG!   It was on my shelf with all my "compliant" things....  just looked at the bottle.  Of course it has sugar.....  guess that one goes on a different shelf... :(  This is what happens when you are tired and hungry......

Thought it tasted good :)  

Thanks LadyM!

• Moderators

Mirin was always one of my staples for making dipping and stir-fry sauces. It was a tough one to give up! But regular rice vinegar is OK and you can always add a splash of fresh fruit juice for the balance of a little sweetness.

NON-SCALE VICTORY!!!!!!! 

Pre W30: 
Cholesterol - 239 (I was actually thrilled with this - it used to be near 300) 
LDL - 162 
HDL - 42 
Triglycerides - 292 

Post W30: 
Cholesterol - 196 
LDL - 136 
HDL - 33 
Triglycerides - 179 

Dr. wrote on my results sheet to recheck in a year instead of in 3 months!!!!

He did, however write - "Weight loss and exercise needed"  (as if I didn't know that).  I think I was a little disappointed with that - guess I was expecting stars and smiley faces  :D and fireworks.....  Oh well, I know what I did and its AWESOME!

Day 41

So, today has been a wierd kind of day. I got the lab results in the mail and although I was excited, I was a bit disappointed in the dr office responce. I hit a PR on my 5K, but then quickly got bored on the treadmill and began to focus on my aches and pains and cut my workout short. My attitude is horrible. I jumped on my DS for the state of his room (justifiable, but I could have used a different tact). Working tonight and I just have no patience for anything right now. But, bless his heart, when I left my meals and my ipad sitting on my bed when I went to work, he brought it to me when he got home from school (at 930 at night).

Maybe because it is winter time and I am just feeling cold. Depression gets worse in the winter. All I wanted to do today was hide in the bed under the electric blanket. Somehow, I have to snap out of this funk. Bleh.

On a positive note, I not only got on the treadmill, but I also had a cook day. Brats and onions. Pork chops and sauerkraut. Stir fry chicken and shrimp. I should be set for a couple of days. In the mood for pork carnitias so have been looking at recipes online and will make some when this food is gone. (Wonder why ive been craving pork of all things lately).

So, tonight has 9 more hours left, and tomorrow will be a new day!

M1: 2 eggs, venison sausage, 1/2 apple

M2: salmon salad with dill pickle relish and homemade mayo, cucumber slices

M3: pork chop, 1 brat, sauerkraut, green beans

Karen, I am thinking of you & realize you have not posted today. I hope you are feeling better. I Do. Not. Think. You are eating enough. Your meals sound too scrawny for the busy, stressful, active lifestyle you have. Pictures, please. <insert tough love smiley here >

Day 42

Home at 8, slept until 130pm.  worked on my bible study of an hour or so and then headed to the gym where I did and "easy" 6 miles.  Pushing myself on the 5K yesterday left me feeling pleasantly sore (muscles) so what I really wanted to do today was just loosen up.  From the gym to work.  Thus the late log.....

Brewer5, I don't have pictures for today....  I'll have to get back on that.

M1:  sautéed mixed veg (snowpeas, broccoli, carrot, celery, bell pepper, bok choy) with chicken and shrimp (1/2 chicken thigh and 3 large shrimp).  I sautéed in a mix of sesame and avocado oil and added minced garlic and red pepper flakes

M2:  2 eggs scrambled in sautéed onion, venison sausage patty

M3:  2 brats, sauteed onion (cooked in cider) and green beans.

M4:  still hungry so had chicken wings (baked, no sauce)

Very tired at work tonight.....  hope I stay awake till morning.  Will not get much sleep tomorrow since I have a noon appointment but will be off work until saturday.

How on earth do you get by on so little sleep?

I am not sure - except maybe I am used to it? I have been working night shift for over 18 years. I also find days to "get caught up" - although I am not sure I ever truly do. I know it is a huge part of sometimes not feeling so great and certainly doesn't help depression, but it's life right now.

Day 43

As anticipated, I only got about 3.5 hours of sleep today. As I sit here typing, it is 930 at night. I am catching up on Monday's Bachelor and then I think I will go to bed.....

Appointment, then errands this afternoon. Went to church to get some work done and it was one of those days when I was having to trouble shoot just about everything. In other words, didn't get nearly as much done as I needed to. Church service and an intervention from a friend, then to the grocery store to stock up for tomorrows snowstorm. (We are supposed to get 4-6 inches, which means the area will be shut down for days). Fortunately, there is nothing to get up for tomorrow (I can sleep in) and nothing on the calendar to do (I get to stay home). Even the gym closes with bad weather, so there really will be no reason to leave the house :)

Brewer5 - I have pictures! For dinner, I ordered a "double size" - mostly because I could hear you whispering "eat more food!" Thanks!!!!

M1: sauteer veggies with 1/2 chicken thigh and 3 shrimp, 1/2 avocado
M2: 2 brats, sauerkraut, banana
M3: (stop at chinese food rest.) steamed mixed veg with chicken - added drizzle sesame oil at home and 1/2 avocado. I truly didn't realize that it was basically the same as what I had for M1 until I was looking at the pictures..... Oh well :)

Oh - almost forgot!   Since I took longer with my church work than anticipated, I didn't get to grab dinner before church.  I was really hungry so I had a handful of almond/cashew/pistachio mix (no picture of this - eating on the fly)

post-43981-0-02237800-1424918108_thumb.j

post-43981-0-95064100-1424918119_thumb.j

post-43981-0-78572300-1424918133_thumb.j

Day 44

12 hours of sleep last night! Felt so good. Woke to about four inches of snow - and already melting. Guess we didn't get snowed in like I thought we would. Lazed in the bed for an hour before I was up and moving. A quick breakfast, shoveled out the driveway (where in the world was the teenager that lives in my house?), then off to the gym. 5 miles in today - walking at incline of 8 (woohoo). Errands done, but didn't get some of the desk work done so will have to tackle that tomorrow - I am just too tired to deal with it tonight. Once home, got pork in crockpot - new recipe for pork carnitas - and roasted some chicken. Then made some pumpkin custard. I used nomnompaleo's recipe and help the maple syrup (ended up adding extra pumpkin too). Have to admit, I really haven't been hungry today and have had to force myself to eat. I had bought a salad from the grocery store salad bar but just didn't feel it when I got home. It went in the fridge for tomorrow.

M1: sauerkraut and pork chops. I had put jerk seasoning on the pork chops and they were just a little too spicy for me. Glad these were the last ones.

M2: 2brats, sautéed onions, banana

M3: roasted chicken thigh, sautéed onions, Dill gherkin pickles, 1/2 avocado, pumpkin custard

post-43981-0-66298600-1425002218_thumb.j

post-43981-0-44146500-1425002233_thumb.j

post-43981-0-94855000-1425002245_thumb.j

post-43981-0-63731100-1425002259_thumb.j

post-43981-0-93166700-1425002288_thumb.j

• Moderators

So glad you got such a long stretch of good sleep! And 5 miles at an incline of 8 is very impressive. Though I'm with Brewer: your meals are so tiny! I would feel starved if I ate so little. . . . 

Day 45

Just not feeling life today. Not up until 11, ate M1 around 12. Sat up for an hour trying to talk myself into doing "something". Ended up going back to bed. I didn't really sleep this afternoon, although I did doze off and on. Up again at 5 to eat M2. Now it is 730pm and I am seriously contemplating going back to bed again.

The biggest reason that I didn't want to go out and do something: it is cold. I am cold. So, I hid under my electric blanket. I did get my bible study done today so I guess I could say that I accomplish "something" :rolleyes:

M1: 3 eggs, venison sausage patty, pumpkin custard
M2: Pork carnitas "ala chipotles" - I slo-cooked the pork (momgonepaleo.com) and piled it atop shredded iceburg lettuce and fresh pico de gallo with half an avocado.

Oh, yes....  this is my "at home" drink container - I usually drink 2-3 of these :)  Just in case you can't tell, its a 2L mason jar!

post-43981-0-34835600-1425083561_thumb.j

post-43981-0-51179200-1425083577_thumb.j

post-43981-0-97088700-1425083588_thumb.j

Archived