Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Day 92/39

Not much going on today.  Made it through my last shift in this stretch - now off for a day and a half, then back to work for my last shift of the week.  :)  Slept from 8am-1pm, then up.  Have been spending most of the afternoon working on a project.  If the tech would work the way I think it should, I would have been done with it by now :)  A quick afternoon grocery run.  Had a contractor come over to take measurements and pictures to give me an estimate of replacing the shower with a tub/shower combo.  Beagle snuck out into the yard this afternoon and dug under the fence, despite the shock collar.  The company is going to come back out on friday to increase the strength of the shock on her collar.  Silly beagle.  I am going hiking with mom and dad tomorrow so have decided to not go to the gym this evening so as to save my legs :)

M1:  4 sb eggs, 18 spears asparagus, 3 slices of bacon

M2:  roasted chicken thigh, roasted carrots and broccoli

M3:  sweet potato, pulled pork, green beans

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 93/40

I didn't sleep well last night (not unusual after several nights in a row). I think I may have gotten about 4 1/2 hours.

I was up early because I had a date with my parents to go hiking. Note to self, do not do a strenuous hike after working 8shifts in a row, last 3 nights, and not sleeping. I so badly wanted to show how good I was doing. This probably led me to start out too string and fast so I really struggled on the uphill (seriously didn't think I was going to finish that last uphill mile. However, once we got to the top and headed back down, my energy recovered. Dad even told me that I was "much improved since Scotland" - which is super high praise from him :).

I made it back in town just in time for my pedicure (which was superb after a long day hiking) and headed right to church. I realized that in my rush this morning, I hadn't packed a dinner. I figured I could make it through church and go home for dinner but I really started feeling bad (week, slightly shaky). So, I went across the street and grabbed a meal (my budget isn't happy about me doing this twice in a week). Felt much better after eating :)

M1: 4 eggs scrambled, banana

M2: (spread out over the course of our 5 hr hike) 2chicken apple sausages, 2 apples, can green beans, 6 mini dill pickles, 2 handfuls of dried fruit and nuts

M3: steamed chicken and shrimp with mixed veggies, guacamole

Activity: 9 mile hike

Just spent 45 min in the kitchen with DD while we both made breakfast and lunch for ourselves for tomorrow. Drawback: going to bed much later than planned. Spending time with my daughter talking about nothing important: Priceless.

Day 94/41

8 glorious hours of sleep. Good day at work. Hard evening at home and by phone so I escaped to the gym. Didn't work out too hard, just walked and stretched out my legs. Kinda don't want to go home...... Lots to do tomorrow and I want a good workout in there somewhere so I guess I will head home and to my bed.

M1: 4 egg egg salad, banana

M2: 2 chicken thighs, roasted carrots, can green beans

M3: 2 burger patties, sautéed onions and mushrooms, potato

Activity: 4 miles

My 30 day check in (well, should have been on day 90, but I kinda forgot!)

I was feeling a little bit frustrated, thinking I had hit another plateau on the weight loss. Pants were alternately looser, then tighter. Not feeling any drastic changes. The I did a scale check this am - 7 pounds down! Wow! I truly didn't believe it. I changed the batteries in the scale and tried again - same thing. That is 12.1% (got to claim that .1) down since the beginning? :D

Activity: 629 miles this year!

Day 96/42

Missed posting yesterday, but this is how it went:  To bed about midnight and up at 630 to see DD off to work.  Ran to the grocery store to pick up a couple chickens (added some turkey legs too) and took them home and set them all up to brine.  I am taking them to my parents to be smoked.  Then I got started on my badly neglected church work.  The Invisible Fence guy came by about noon to increase the shock on the beagles collar.  After he left, I called my massage therapist and was able to be worked in this afternoon.  I spent a little time cleaning up the back yard pulling up dead flowers/plants and cleaning out the garden.  I added some compost to it and turned it all over.  A quick shower then a quick run to the post office to send off some returns to Amazon and I headed to my appointment.  She worked on my hips (the muscles that start burning and fatigue the fastest and stripped my IT bands.  Hard to explain how pain actually feels good :).  From there to the gym for a couple hour workout.  To the church for my meeting with the finance committee and then home quickly to pick up the kids.  Little did DS know that the dinner invitation also included a very badly needed haircut (what is it with teenagers and not wanted to cut their hair?).  Late dinner meant that i didn't get home and to bed until after 11pm.

M1:  4 eggs scrambled, pumpkin

m2:  watermelon (I really meant to have something else with this, but honestly forgot to eat)

M3:  prime rib, sweet potato, salad (no cheese/no croutons/ no dressing)

Activity:  couple hours at the gym (mostly treadmill)

Today:

Last night as I headed for bed, I knew that I had a 5K this morning and just wasn't feeling it.  I decided that I wouldn't set the alarm and just see how I felt in the am.  Well, I woke up at 6, not having to leave the house until 8, so I went to the race.  Still wasn't feeling it.  The course was mostly uphill and the legs were feeling weak and achy.  But, I started.  As I began jogging, my calf cramped up and I slowed down to a walk.  My feet hurt.  Before I finished the first mile, I was already being lapped by the "real" runners.  But about a mile and a half into it, I started feeling better - looser.  I started jogging the flat and downhill sections (very few) and speed walking when I wasn't jogging.  I finished in good time (47 min) all things considered.  

From there, home for a shower and some more training time with the beagle and the fence.  I got some things together to take to my parents and now I am just waiting for DD to get home so we can go.  DS is staying home to do some homework and joining us later in the evening for dinner.  

M1:  banana, 4 eggs scrambled

M2:  prime rib (leftover), orange

M3:  (planned) lamb, roasted carrots/parsnips/potatoes, caramelized brussels and shallots (the rest of the family is also having peas.  I might have to have a very small spoonful of mint sauce with my lamb......

Activity:  5K race, then when I get to my parents town, I will be dropping off my car and for an oil change and walking the 2 miles to their house.

Day 97/43

Sunday - a day of rest.  

I didn't sleep well last night.  Woke at 3 am, 4am, 530am, 6 am, finally getting up at 730.  Haven't had this happen in a long time.  Hope it doesn't stay with me.

Up for church this morning.  Opted to come home for lunch (especially since the budget says no to going out twice in one weekend).  After a quick lunch, I started studying.  I took a half hour break in the middle of the afternoon for a quick trip to Target to get a new notebook.  Old study habits came back with a vengeance.  As I shopped, I was hoping (praying) to find a bag of Twizzlers to snack on while I studied.  I didn't actively search for them, but was hoping they would just "appear" in front of me.  It didn't.  Once I got home, I thought I would just nibble on some of the nuts in my backpack - just to find out the beagle found my stash and ate them.  The universe conspiring against me :).  All it really was is the habit of slowly snacking on candies/popcorn/chips/nuts while studying.  

I ended up studying until bedtime.  The thought of how much I have to get through is daunting :)

M1:  4 egg omelet with sautéed onion/mushrooms, topped with salsa and 1/2 avocado

M2:  lamb slices, zoodles topped with tessamaes dressing

M3:  smoked turkey leg, leftover brussels, roasted carrots/parsnips/potatoes

**** My Dad's most awesome smoker made quick work of the chickens and turkey legs :)  I hope to do this more often this summer :)

Day 98/44

Slept fairly well last night.  Up with DD to get her off to school, then I studied for several hours.  I took a break about mid-day to go to the gym.  Once home again, I had lunch and then I hit the books.  However, I moved outside to the back deck.  Sitting in the sun overlooking the woods.  Cant ask for a better place to study.  Have to admit that I took a half hour nap sitting out there :)  Finally moved back inside just in time for the thunderstorms to hit.  Dinner cooked and eaten while catching up on Amazing Race.  I still have a horrible desire to snack while I was studying - especially when I started getting tired.  I am beginning to see where my bad habits truly started (college).

M1:  sliced ham, pumpkin

M2:  smoked chicken thigh, fermented carrots and green beans

M3:  2 hamburger patties, sauteed onion, homemade mayo, roasted brussels and carrots

Activity:  7 1/2 miles at the gym today

Karen, I am so impressed with your progress, as always.  I've been thinking of you a lot lately, re: what is your plan for when you are done with this stretch of Whole 30?  Maybe take some time to sit down and think about it, maybe even write it out to yourself.  

What I'm saying is:  I have always felt GREAT during my Whole 30's... like I could take on the world, you know?  Like "Hey, I am going to eat this way forever!"

But that's never how it goes.

I think, as difficult as a Whole 30 can be -- that life post-Whole 30 can be much more difficult.  The once clear-cut lines begin to blur.  Before you know it, you're up at 1:41 am drinking wine all by yourself!  hahahaha  (But seriously.)  ;)

Kirkor sent me a PM tonight, just to check on me and see how I am doing.   I responded and told him I am doing okay, just trying to find my new normal.  Not following any particular "plan".  (Just carbs at night, whenever I am going to have them.)  

But the truth is...  If I really think about it...  I could be better.   I read your posts and you are so clear-headed and doing SO well, and I am SO happy for you and SO proud of you... but that is not where I am at right now.

I want you to continue to do so well.   I HATE when you disappear for a stretch of time and I have that bad feeling that you have gone off the rails on the crazy train.

So, I am here to give you some advice that I wish I could have given myself:  Write out all the things that you love about how you feel right now.  And make a promise to yourself:  That you will read it each and every morning when you get up after this Whole whatever-the-number-is.  Just like you read your bible, or whatever your daily routine is -- stick it inside your bible, if that will help.  Please remind yourself daily that YOU are worth feeling this good, and NO food is worth feeling crappy.

Love,   :wub:   Your friend who is struggling a bit.

• Moderators

That's really great advice, Brewer, and I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I think it's normal to have these ebbs and flows, so to speak, and the trick is, in time, to maximize the flows and minimize the ebbs. I'm in a slight funk, myself, and struggling valiantly to find my groove again. The thing is it's not all or nothing no matter how much we think it is. I keep trying to remind myself of that and to learn, always learn, from the process, even--or perhaps especially--from the struggle.

Brewer5

Oh, I hate to hear that you are struggling right now.   You are right that being off W30 is so much harder.  "Just a bite" of something so quickly leads to "just one serving" and then to "more than once in a while".  I have to admit that I seriously thought about cheating once in a while.  Especially at my moms when everyone else was eating apple pie and ice cream.  After all, I had done so well, I deserved it :)  But then I thought about logging a "failure" and I just could't do it.

I don't know how long this w30 is going to last.  At first, my goal was w143, taking me to June 5.  This is the end of the Biggest Loser competition at work.  The thing is that it is not about the weight for me.  (Although it is a nice side benefit!)  I do feel good.  I don't want to not feel good.  I do well with boundaries.  Now I am thinking about continuing until my trip to Sedona in October.  I don't know.

Its interesting.  One of the things that I find myself doing when I am thinking of "quitting" is looking back at my previous logs and successes.  Somehow, it helps.

What about you?  What is it about w30 that you liked?  What keeps you coming back?  What do you love about yourself?

Every morning I log onto the forum to see if you have been here :)  You are an inspiration to me!  Thanks for being my friend!   :wub:  

Day 99/45

Glorious sleep!  9.5 hours :)  Once awake, I just lazed in the bed for a bit before getting up and having breakfast.  I spent a little time cleaning up the house, then realized I forgot to run by the bank yesterday.  Did that then returned home for some major study time.  I sat out on the back deck again to study and ended up with a little sunburn  :rolleyes: .  Four hours of studying warranted a break for a walk.  It was a beautiful day but it still took me over 3 miles to even feel like walking.  By the time I finished 7 miles, I was finally feeling "in the mood".  Had to quit so I would have time for a couple more hours of study this evening.  Once home, I decided to get caught up here, on emails, and on FB while I contemplate what to have for dinner.

M1:  chicken salad (w/homemade mayo), banana

M2:  mixed green salad with asparagus, carrot, lamb and tessamaes dressing

M3:  ????

Activity:  7 mile easy walk

M3:  finally decided to have ham,mushroom,onion omelette (4 eggs) topped with salsa and 1/2 avocado

Day 100/46

Slept 9 hours, then spent the rest of the morning in the bed being lazy since I am trying to turn my body back around to night shifts. Got a call from my manager at 2 to see if I would come in (4hrs) early. A quick cook up and I was out the door. Work isn't bad today, just busy. No outside activity.

M1: chicken salad, banana

M2: 4 SB eggs, green beans, salsa, clementine

M3: chicken thigh, chicken leg, roasted carrots and asparagus, 1/2 avocado

What about you?  What is it about w30 that you liked?  What keeps you coming back?

Well, the only thing really keeping me here right now is checking on you.  :)

I think that Whole 30 eating is really the healthiest way to eat.  Period.  I don't believe that any of us are missing out on anything, nutritionally, by eating this way forever.  

Any foods that I have added back in, when I am not officially doing a Whole 30 -- dairy, corn, rice, dark chocolate, red wine, sugar, maybe even the very occasional (gasp!) gluten exposure...  These are all things that I know can have a negative effect on my health and well-being.  I won't argue that there is any physical "need" for any of them.

However, I have discovered some emotional needs.  It makes me HAPPY to be able to go out to eat with my family, or go on a vacation, and not stress about every little detail of food.  It makes me HAPPY to take an evening off from the kitchen and do something other than cook.

I've had three successful Whole 30's in the past year, but I have told myself I will not do another.  I am working to find a good balance in my life of ALL the things I've learned...  And I think it's important for me to want to be accountable to myself.  I have had the encouragement of you, MeadowLily, and kirkor to keep me going in the past -- and I am thankful for you all -- but what I've discovered is:  That's not real life.

My real life has struggles.  I have good days & bad.  I felt like I had things on a really great track for awhile, and then we went out of town for a few days for a little mini-vacation with the kids, and...  Well, as you said, one thing leads to another.  I have trouble keeping "vacation food" on vacation.  Because, we get home and I've set myself up for all sorts of new and ridiculous cravings, right?   :rolleyes:  That's what happens.

I am doing better now, so no need to worry.  I've had 2 ultra-low-carb days, and I feel like myself again.  I've also cut coffee completely out (!) for the past 2 days. It's been over a year since I started the coffee habit again, and my body was clearly telling me it was time to cycle OFF for awhile.  I've had just green tea, and I have felt great.

Welp.  I'm going through a brain mush phase.  My brain wants to rest on its laurels, just wing it and fling around.  I know from relatives who've had WLS (weight loss surgery) that it's a 'watch for falling rocks ahead' zone.   The brain gets complacent.  Complacency is unaware of what's around the corner and is taken by surprise.  Complacency can cause a train wreck and the undoing of months and months of hard work.   

So I'm pulling from the caboose trying to keep my mountain of momentum going until I reach the station.  As jmcbn said, when we celebrate too early with a quick blow-out...it's never quick.  So I'm working on my brain, trying to make some new grooves and neural pathways.   The old grooves are full of wagon wheel ruts, mud puddles and rocks. 

I've watched several tri and ironman races where the man out in front celebrates too early and gets passed up from someone behind.  Arms raised or falling on the ground and it's all over from celebrating before the finish line.  I keep thinking of a world class gymnast doing a perfect routine but unable to stick the landing....tripping and face planting themselves into the mat. 

It's been like a Lewis and Clark Expedition.  Ten months of winter and two months of summer puts a dent in outdoor exercise plans.  It's not like the "Shining" or anything but cabin fever is for real.   "Here's Johnny".  No, no.  :lol: 

I look forward to Kmlynne's posts...the beagle.  The wild and woolly schedule.  Kmlynne is Bliss A-go A-go.

Day 101/47

Slept about 3 solid hours today, then dozed off and on another 2.  Just not feeling well.  I know it is still just from the sun burn (sun poisoning?).  I have the muscle and joint aches at the sunburn area, chills too.  I am sure the night shift work and lack of sleep isn't helping.  On a good note:  only one night shift next week (I am taking two personal days off work) and then it looks like only one day a week for the next month!  Other good news:  we might be getting a night shift travel nurse over the summer to cover the girl going out on maternity leave - which would mean I would be on all days by June!!!!!  

Another night at work - hopefully it won't get busy at the end of the shift like last night (thus, not getting off until 9am).  

M1:  chicken salad, banana.  I coworker brought in a "paleo wrap" (made of coconut) for me to try.  Bless her, she even brought it in the packaging to prove that it was w30 compliant!  Not bad - but they are a bit pricy.

M2:  mushroom, onion, spinach frittata made with 3 eggs

M3:  chicken leg quarter, roasted carrots and asparagus, pumpkin

Activity....  I got out of bed - does that count?

• Moderators

I spotted some of those wraps at a specialty grocer and was shocked at the price! I can't imagine they could have been worth it. Very sweet of your colleague to go to the trouble for you, though.

Oh, and for the record, even with all compliant ingredients, wraps are a no on an official Whole30 unless they're lettuce leaves. It's a contentious rule but a rule nevertheless.

Good reminder, Lady M.  

What do you think about Paleo Mug Muffins? :D There are so many variations of Paleo and most of them are loaded to gills with SWYPO's that are nothing but a throwback to snacking endlessly.  An authentic Whole 30 is like rehab for the Paleo SWYPO addiction.  :lol: Do you think it's harder to give up Paleo SWYPO's like Paleo cereal, monkey salad or the boxed kind.  Somedays, I wonder.

• Moderators

Good reminder, Lady M.  

What do you think about Paleo Mug Muffins? :D There are so many variations of Paleo and most of them are loaded to gills with SWYPO's that are nothing but a throwback to snacking endlessly.  An authentic Whole 30 is like rehab for the Paleo SWYPO addiction.  :lol: Do you think it's harder to give up Paleo SWYPO's like Paleo cereal, monkey salad or the boxed kind.  Somedays, I wonder.

At least with all those paleo treats you have to make the effort to make them yourself. But yes, people can easily be paleo and eat all kinds of paleo treats (that are really just glorified junk) and convince themselves they're eating something healthy. A bad habit is a bad habit is a bad habit. And bad habits beget bad habits.

However, for a true once in a while occasion, and while not on a Whole 30, I have made a homemade paleo treat to enjoy and share.

But then again, if it's truly once in a while, as in my own birthday cake once in a while, that merits my favorite airy white cake with buttercream frosting and raspberry filling from a local dutch bakery. But only if I want it. Last year I didn't care about cake.

And that's what Whole 30 can do. Change the patterns that don't truly serve us.

Why no, no I do not require cake to celebrate the day of my birth, thank you very much. There are much better ways to honor myself than that. But this year? This year I might want cake.

Freedom. It's real. Especially with a Whole 9 life.

day 102/48

Just a short update since it is late.....

Lady M:  thank you for the reminder about the wraps - I honestly didn't think about that.  I checked for compliance and just went with it.  Have to admit though that I probably wouldn't buy them myself 1) expense and 2) it just didn't add anything to the meal - They were ok, but it was just as easy to eat the chicken salad with a fork :)

Slept until 2 this afternoon (about 6 hours).  up to the gym for a good workout.  Home for a little bit, then went out to a bar (egads) to listen to a band.  It is a coworkers husbands band.  I haven't had such a good time in quite some while.  I sit here in bed, writing this and my ears are still ringing (because of course we were sitting right in front of the speakers).  But it was good.  I was a bit bummed today thinking about my uncle's funeral this afternoon.  I was unable to go because of work.  I did make a slide show and send that along with my parents.  Got a text this afternoon from a cousin that the video was a hit.  Made me think of not being there even more.  Tonight, the band played one of the songs that was on the video (Ring of Fire).  Made me realize that even though I wasn't there physically, I was still there in spirit.

M1:  chicken salad, banana

M2:  mushroom,onion, spinach frittata (3 eggs)

M3:  chicken thigh and two legs, beets

(I know my meals are a bit short on veggies - I badly need to get to the store but that won't happen until at least Sunday...)

Activity:  2 hours at the gym:  7 miles on the treadmill and 1 mile on the stair master.  Brewer5:  I finally got my ankle weights!  Only 1.5 pounds each, but they did make a difference.  It think that I might have to go up to a higher weight fairly soon, however.  I was surprised - I had gotten the middle sized ones available.  (smaller = 1 pound, largest = 2.5 pounds).  Felt good to have those tired muscles :)

Day 104/50

So, I missed logging yesterday.  Work day.  Don't remember what I ate at each meal, but it was all compliant.  I didn't get much exercise in, either.  I did get to bed about 10pm, hoping to sleep until 8am today.  Instead, I woke at 5am, laid in bed and fell back to sleep about 630 and the alarm went off about 10 minutes later at 815.  I was still tired, but I had to get my day going.  

Church day today.  We started Revival at the morning service today.  We had a visiting pastor give the sermon this morning - amazing.  No afternoon service so I decided to go out for a walk.

This is what I wrote to a friend when I got home this afternoon:

So, I decided to go out and do a hike this afternoon since the weather was so nice.  I headed up to Prince William Forest Park.  At first, I was just going to do six miles or so, but I was feeling so good that I ended up making it 10 miles.  

I don't know if you remember me calling you a couple of years ago, almost crying because I didn't think I was going to make it up the next hill, let alone back to the car.  I remember which part of the trail that hill was at.  I seriously debated heading down that trail.  I remembered that hill being so steep and daunting. But I figured that I should be able to handle it today.  

I started onto that section of trail, just waiting for that steep hill to appear.  Next thing I knew, I was at the end of the trail.  Where did the hill go?  I realized that I had climbed the hill without any problem.  After continueing to practice and train - along with eating well and losing some weight - the hill that was overwhelming in the past wasn't such a hardship anymore.

God made me realize that this is how the trials in our life are supposed to be.  When we come upon that thing that we struggle through, we learn and grow from it.  It makes us stronger.  It prepares us for the next hill.

However, if I had made it up that hill in the beginning, and then had not continued to train, to continue to challenge myself with new hills, to eat healthy food and lose the weight - everything that I had gained from climbing that hill the first time would mean nothing.  I would not have strengthened, I would not have grown.  And then that hill would have been just as challenging as it was the first time I climbed it.

In the same way, when we go through struggles in life we learn and grow from them.  However, if we do not continue to train our faith, to eat from His word and lose our worldly weight - then whatever we learned from the trial will mean nothing.  We would not continued to be strengthened and to grow.  The next time we come to that hill, it would still be challenging.  But when we stay in relationship with Him and nourish ourselves with His word, that same hill will seem smaller and easier to handle.   

That doesn't mean that there won't be new hills in the future - steeper hills, more challenging hills - ones where we will struggle to make it to the top.  But those are there to continue to grow us and make us stronger - as long as we continue to work.

I love when God talks to me on my hikes!

M1:  4 sb eggs, green beans, salsa, 1/2 avocado
M2:  none (I didn't mean to do this.  I realized after I started walking that I hadn't eaten lunch.  However, I still wasn't hungry and felt great all the way through my walk)
M3:  2 hamburger patties, sautéed large sliced onion, guac.  roasted carrots

Activity:  10 mile hike :)

Day 105/51

Slept 9 hours last night :)  Up for a grocery run this morning, then a short cook up today (barbacoa). A couple hours of studying and then this afternoon I headed for the gym for a workout.  Used the weights again and I was really feeling it by mile seven.  I ended up taking them off for the last couple miles.  Two ten mile days in a row!  From the gym, to church for revival service.  Now I am home at 830 and I am ready for bed  :blink:

M1:  chicken breast, roasted carrots, guac

M2:  4 chicken wings, banana, handful of nuts

M3:  roasted broccoli, barbacoa

Activity:  10 miles

I don't know what barbacoa is, but this day does not sound like enough food, lady.   ;)

So glad you are using the ankle weights.  I think that will really be helpful to you.  Carrying around your own body weight will be even more of a breeze when you go without them, you know?

I don't know what barbacoa is, but this day does not sound like enough food, lady.   ;)

So, its all about portions!  For example, the broccoli last night - 2 whole crowns!  I was full!

The barbacoa recipe came from The Frugal Paleo Cookbook - basically it is "pulled" beef in a tomato/onion sauce.   I guess it is something close to the beef from Chipotle's restaurant - but compliant :) 

And yes, I am lacking in some veggies....  it is shopping week :)

Archived