Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 46

Had to log my miles for Feb with the virtual "race"/challenge I am doing. 193 miles for the month! (Oh, if only I had gotten out there yesterday, I could have broken 200!). That makes a total of 338 miles for the year! Wow!

Work today. Not too busy and finally got my self eval completed (I hate those things). The ridiculous thing about them is that it doesn't matter if you meet or exceed expectations - there is no compensation. We haven't had a raise in over six years and last year they decreased our pay. So, why bust your tail "looking good" on a piece of paper when it doesn't mean anything.....

Enough whining.

I was actually feeling better today - a little more energy but still not quite myself. We have another storm rolling through starting in the morning. More snow with freezing rain and ice. Oh joy.

M1: 2eggs and a small pumpkin custard. I usually don't eat before work, but woke hungry so grabbed a couple things from the fridge.
M2: chicken thigh, 1 cup sautéed onions, a whole can of green beans
M3: pork carnitas over shredded lettuce, fresh pick de gallo, 1/2 avocado and squirt of lime juice
M4: banana, sunbutter and 3 prunes (no picture - realized as I was licking the sunbutter out of the bowl :rolleyes: that I had forgotten)

post-43981-0-62767300-1425176690_thumb.j

post-43981-0-36135000-1425176710_thumb.j

post-43981-0-31329400-1425176722_thumb.j

Day 47

Another work day.

This was my excitement for today: I was sitting in the break room with a couple of my coworkers and I get a text from DS that reads, "Do we have anything I could improvise a flamethrower with?"

Mind you, I was TRAPPED at work. Could not leave...... I had visions of my house burning down.

Apparently, he was taking my chore list a little bit too UN-literally. I had told him to shovel the walkway and driveway if it SNOWED. Well, it didn't snow, it iced. He was trying to shovel ice. *sigh* By the time in the conversation when he asked me, "How much heat does an aerosol deodorant produce with it burns?" - I was ready to run home, job be d***d. :blink:

In the end, he was (fortunately for him) kidding with me - yes, he has a horrible sense of humor - and I got home to a glassy smooth ice rink on my walkway. Thankfully, it is supposed to get up to 46 tomorrow so it will melt soon enough.

I have been looking forward to wednesday - supposed to be in the upper 50s - and have been planning over the last couple of days to go on an extended hike that day. However, just announced today - 90% chance of rain on wednesday. My plans (and hopes, and good feelings...) were dashed. :( Only 2 more weeks of winter.... only two more weeks of winter..... only two more weeks of winter.....

So, I have made it home from work and am already sitting in bed as I type this. My eyes are heavy and burning and it is not even 9pm. Crazy. On a positive note, after having a few days rest (slept all day friday, only work on sat and sunday), three days with no exercise and bumping up my food amounts (and the carbs) a bit, I can say that some of my "peppiness" is returning (not sure why I called it peppiness since I really am never "peppy", but whatever it is, Im glad is on the return). I really can't say that my foul mood has been because of too little food (carbs), too much exercise, too little sleep etc, because I have had a nagging "uncomfortable" (not sore) throat for a couple of days and woke today with the roof of my mouth feeling raw (kinda like one huge cold sore covering the whole roof of my mouth). It has gotten a bit better during the day. My best guess is that I have been fighting off something but due to w30, it never got bad enough to be called a cold, or the flu, or whatever. I love w30 :wub:

M1: 3 eggs, pumpkin custard with shaved toasted coconut (yesterdays picture - just add and egg in your imagination!)
M2: salad (that I bought from the grocery store salad bar a few days back), roasted chicken thigh, tessamaes ranch dressing
M3: slo cooked pork carnitas over shredded lettuce, cherry tomatos and guac.
M4: (feeling peckish) mixed nuts with raisins, banana

I am going to start trying to watch those carbs again tomorrow - trying to limit them to once a day. See what happens.

post-43981-0-31592200-1425260389_thumb.j

Day 48

Well, I was off to bed early - and then laid there awake for about four hours. Last time I looked at the clock was 1145pm. Slept well until 830, then putzed around the house until 11 when I had to leave. I had another Apple workshop today - wish I had done this one a long time ago (workshop on Numbers). Would have made life a lot easier. Still, I do learn about a program by just using it. From there I went to the gym. I would have rather have gone home and back to bed but my days of laziness had to come to an end! I made 7.5 miles in two hours. I started out strong but was fighting myself to stay walking by the end of the two hours. Amazing how a few days off can deplete you. A quick stop at the grocery store then to home to pack a couple of meals for work tonight. Truthfully, I am ready for bed instead of work. :)

M1: 3 boiled eggs, pumpkin custard with toasted coconut (yes, the picture is short and egg.... and is the same one I have used for days!)

M2: 2 chicken apple sausages, small salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, strawberries and kiwi, banana

(M2 was kind of a mish-mash. I didn't have much in the house to pack but knew there was a Wegmans right next to the Apple store. I figured I could get a salad. Hit the salad bar and found that the only compliant things were lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms and olives. Everything else was pre-made salad (chicken, beet, etc) with noncompliant ingredients. Even went to the hot food bar for the veggies and found they all had butter, breadcrumbs or cheese on them. So, I made a small salad and opted to "flesh" it out with fruit. I ate my lunch on the way to the gym, saving one sausage and the banana as my post work out snack.

M3: 2 chicken thighs, mashed rutabaga, sauteed mushrooms and asparagus

post-43981-0-20010900-1425352140_thumb.j

post-43981-0-29143000-1425352154_thumb.j

post-43981-0-71311500-1425352166_thumb.j

Day 49 (just realized I have less than 100 days to go!)

Off work and home in bed by 8am. Didn't wake until 4pm. Had great plans to go to the gym this afternoon, but when I woke late and the kids were home, I changed my plans to stay home with them and cook up some meat I had thawed out a couple days ago. It was a good decision.

I have been on the computer today, planning out the hikes that I want to take in the mountains as soon as the weather turns. Next week it is supposed to be in the 50s all week with no rain!!!!!! I. can't. wait. :P

M1: pork carnita over iceberg lettuce with pico de gallo and guacamole

M2: pork carnita over iceberg lettuce with pico de gallo and guacamole (I didn't realize I was eating the same thing until I was half way through)

M3: nomnompaleos cracklin chicken with asparagus and mushrooms cooked in the "drippings" and pumpkin custard. (I took the picture after I had eaten over half the veg - oops).

post-43981-0-20713900-1425461020_thumb.j

• Moderators

NomNom's cracklin chicken is like crack to me. So good. Too good. I rarely make it, actually, because it sets off my fried chicken bells and whistles or something. 

Congrats on less than 100 days to go!

Day 50 and 51

Well, was supposed to be off work yesterday, but there was a call-out and I wasn't able to say no.  I did have time in the afternoon to get to the gym (6miles) and to church (where I was able to get a little bit of work done.  The night was long - especially since it was my fifth shift in a row.

I drove home in the rain, and as I was sleeping, the snow moved in.   DS left for work in the morning when it was still raining and then called me to come and get him when he was done working.  Unfortunately, this meant waking up to scrape 6 inches of snow off the car and then driving (sliding) through the worst of the storm to go get him.  Normally a 10 min drive - 30 minutes.  But, I made it there and back without problem.  Then I hunkered down in front of the TV with DD for the rest of the day.  (Bless her, DD shoveled out the driveway while I was gone to get DS).

I had an appointment for a massage today that got cancelled until tomorrow - I am looking forward to it!  I think I am going to try to get to the gym before the massage so that I can come home and relax afterward :)

Yesterday:

M1:  mashed rutabaga with marinara meat sauce

M2:  salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, prosecution, izze fruit drink (splurge), dill pickles

M3;  two chicken thighs, mixed steamed veggies, guacamole

Today

M1:  handful of mixed nuts and dried fruit

M2:  mashed rutabaga, marinara meat sauce, 1 egg

M3:  slo cooked pork, can of green beans, pumpkin custard

Snack:  mixed nuts and dried fruit (I have got to stop buying this)

Karen, I don't know what this is or where you found it -- but it does NOT sound Whole 30 approved!

:lol:

:wub:

Silly spell check! It's prosciuttio! One of the few ready to eat, "single" servings of protein I can get at the grocery store near the gym.

Brewer5 - it really blesses my heart to know that you keep reading my logs and help me stay accountable - it's good to have friends :)

Karen, no joke, I talk about you to my family and they all know who I am referring to.  "Karen says they have 6 inches of snow where she lives."  --  "Karen tried to type prosciutto and her spellcheck changed it to prosecution."

LOL.

I have not been around here much lately -- riding my own bike and doing my own thing -- but I ALWAYS check in here each night to see how you are doing.  Always.  :)

I feel blessed to have found you, also.  It was meant to be.   :wub:

Day 53 (yesterday)- my downfall

I don't know if it has been the weather, stress at work, stress at home, or just life in general, but yesterday I fell off the wagon, rolled along the ground for a time and then laid in a face plant for a while.  Today, I pick myself back up, run to catch up to the wagon and jump back on. 

After all was said and done, I was in bed by 745pm and probably asleep by 815.  I woke at 430am and have been biding my time until the gym opens at 7.  I plan on a good workout and then a massage (cancelled yesterday (and the day before) due to the weather).  My house is empty of food, so I need to go to the grocery store as well.  Guess I need to figure out what I am going to cook.....  The off roading last night at least hasn't left me feeling sick and I slept well (just not as long as I had wanted).  Only residual:  I have been very thirsty this morning, already drinking over a liter of water.  

I have had my sights set on hiking tuesday and thursday - but now the weatherman is calling for rain on Tuesday.  I kinda want to cry.  Just a couple more weeks, I keep telling myself.  I NEED to get outside, but I am a wimp and am not going hiking in cold rain.  Even though it is supposed to be in the 50s during the day, it is still down near freezing at night and I am sure the mountains will still have some snow on them.

Good news:  the trip to Sedona on October is in the finalization stages.  I am getting excited.  My dad is worried that I am not going to be able to keep up with the group (shades of Scotland).  I keep telling him that i am in better shape now than I was two years ago but he is not convinced.  They are going to be home in early April and dad want to take me on some mountain hiking.  I guess this is part of why I want to get out there before I go with him.  I want to make sure I can do it!  In my gym workouts, I am slowly increasing my incline.  I know it is not the same - I do tend to hold onto the treadmill (fear of falling off the back) and I know that makes it "easier" - I am just working on my endurance I suppose.  Most of all, the mountain hikes that I have taken in the past help me center myself and bring me peace and energy.  Something about being out in the woods, all on my own - drinking in the beauty and peace and quiet of my surrounding.  Taking off my boots and putting my feet into the stream.  Sitting on a rock and looking over the valley.  That's what it is all about!

So, here is to a new day one.  

Day 54/1

As I said before - I slept well, waking about 430 this morning.  Made it to the gym and did a 7.9 mile workout.  (Didn't get that last tenth in because I had an appointment to get to).  Despite traffic, I made it to my massage in time.  She really worked on my leg and noticed inflammation in my right hip and quads before I even mentioned it.  DEEP tissue massage, lots of water, and ibuprofen.  Its a bit tender this evening but already feeling looser.  I am going back next week to see if a few repeat massages will help this hip.  

I did make it to the store, but couldn't decide what I wanted....  also had no list.  So, I walked out with some chicken and some ground beef.  Ended up making west african chicken stew and cinnamon beef stew (with ground beef instead of stew meat - didn't turn out the same, but it is cheaper).  I was seriously lacking in veggies today, but really not hungry.  Am going to have to bump up my food tomorrow - especially since I am planning on doing a big hike on monday.  (Thanks to a coworker who swapped monday and tuesday with me since there is rain forecast for tuesday).  I am sooooooo excited!!!!  I am not sure if the trails are going to be muddy, or still have snow on them.  I will go prepared for either and see what I find.

M1:  orange, kiwi, 3 eggs scrambled

M2:  avocado, 3 red pepper chicken sausage

M3:  cinnamon beef stew

M4:  (feeling peckish) tin of smoked oysters (since the oyster roast was cancelled tonight)

Don't forget to turn your clocks forward tonight!

Day 55/2

A good day, all in all. I went to bed about 800 last pm and slept until 7am (new time) - so I guess thats 10 hours?..... Anyway, had time for breakfast before heading off to church. After service, we went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. Very crowded and our group was being split up at different tables. A quick peek at the menu and I confirmed that there was nothing for me to eat. The crowd was also making me feel decidedly nervous (minor panic attack?) so DD and I took off. She want Chipotle, so we stopped there for her. No pork carnitas so I didn't get anything. Back to the church to pick up my bag and I decided to go home for the afternoon. Laundry done, a little house cleaning, and suddenly I realized I was hungry and still hadn't eaten lunch. Had dinner and packed my bag for tomorrow.

Oh yes!!!!! I am sooooooo excited about tomorrow! I am going hiking! Hiking - as in the weather is going to be nice so I am heading up to the mountains! I have my food packed in the fridge to carry with me tomorrow. My water bottles are already in my backpack and all my clothes laid out. I am not sure if there is still going to be snow on the ground, or if it will be muddy so it may be a harder trek than normal, but I am ready (including dry clothes for the ride home). I am going to leave as soon as DD heads off to school. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

So, since I am feeling a bit tired, I am going to close this down and head off to bed (yes, its quite early). Good night all!

M1: spinach, WA chicken stew, 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado

M2: large sweet potato, cinnamon beef stew, 1/2 avocado

snack: mixed nuts and dried fruit

post-43981-0-20662600-1425856441_thumb.j

post-43981-0-60323100-1425856453_thumb.j

post-43981-0-99421600-1425856462_thumb.j

Do you mind if I ask about the nuts and dried fruit snacks instead of having a mini-template meal as recommended? Just curious.

Pure laziness. I know better. That's why I need to get them out of my house. Unfortunately, I had bought a big bag and the kids aren't eating them. For me, my biggest binge eating go-to was a bag of chips and sometimes dip. The nuts almost give me that same "satisfaction" as chips. I am eating just a handful, rather than a bag.... But still, I know it's heading down that road. :(

Karen -- HAVE FUN hiking!  :)  I'll be looking forward to hearing about it.  Oh, yes, and -- take some pictures!  I love your pictures.

Today it got up to a sunny but breezy 43 degrees here, and we got out for our first family walk for several months.  1.13 miles -- nothing compared to you, of course, but -- I'll take it!  ;)

Day 56/3

Oh my goodness! Today was just what the doctor ordered! Bright sunshine, warmth, and a hike up a mountain!

This was not an easy climb today. First, the climb in general. Even increasing my ramp on the treadmill didn't help a whole lot! There is nothing like doing actual climbing. On the other hand, all my work in the gym recently has given me more stamina. Last October, when I did this hike, my legs were like jello (and in pain) for the last couple of miles. Today, when I finished, I thought I would be able to walk a couple more miles. I think what was the hardest was the snow. Over the last five days, there have been many many people walking on this trail. It has caused the snow to become packed down. When the temp dropped during the night, it all froze. (It was 34 degrees when I started this am). Because it was still cold this morning, I was trying to hike uphill on ice. By the time I was heading back down, the warmer weather was causing things to melt. This meant I was walking downhill through 4 inches of slush on top of ice. Where the ice had completely melted, it was very muddy. Then there was the added experience of the trail and fire road turning into a stream bed where the ice was melting. Have to say that I have some good boots though - despite all this, my feet were barely damp (could have just been sweat) when I was done.

All in all, it took me 4 hours to get up the mountain and 2 hours to get back down. Now, a small caveat: on the way up I stopped to watch a couple of deer playing with each other. Then I heard something behind me - I spun around and there was a third deer crossing the fire road right behind me. I swear, it was no more than 15-20 feet from me! I stopped on "my rock" - one of the first overlooks - to eat lunch. The last mile, I probably stopped for a few "breathers" as I was getting tired. Once at the top, I sat on the rocks and enjoyed the view for about 20 min (partially to recover, partially to just sit in quiet contemplation) before heading back down. A lot of slipping and sliding. Of course, the one time I slipped and "fell" (only went down on one knee) was when there was a group of 3 college boys literally running down the trail. They all came to a screeching halt, rushing over to see if I was ok..... how embarrassing :rolleyes: .

I did pack plenty to eat, and realized that I should probably have eaten every 3 hours while I was hiking. I didn't because I just didn't want to eat the same meal two times in a row. Also, I was already heading back down and didn't want to stop. I suppose I could have eaten while driving home, but then I decided it was too close to "dinner" time.

On the way home, I stopped for a quick haircut, then to the gym to shower (their water is hotter than mine). When I got home, the beagle (going cheap) had emptied out the trash can throughout the house again. There was hardly anything in there, but she did manage to crunch up about a dozen egg shells into the carpet. Cleaned that up, emptied out backpack and gym bag, made meals for work tomorrow, and made dinner. Now, I have eaten, written a couple emails, logged here and am ready to watch "The Bachelor" :P

post-43981-0-17562800-1425946253_thumb.j

post-43981-0-65653300-1425946268_thumb.j

post-43981-0-92000900-1425946279_thumb.j

post-43981-0-77522100-1425946301_thumb.j

Day 57/4

Work day today. Muscles slightly sore from hiking yesterday. Feels good!

M1: egg salad (homemade mayo, dill pickle relish), baby carrots, banana

M2: salad (mixed greens, olives, boiled egg, cucumber, tessamaes dressing), WA chicken stew on bed of spinach

M3: zoodles and seafood mix cooked in ghee and garlic

(The seafood mix was calamari, clams, mussels and shrimp that was precooked and frozen - just needed to be thawed and heated. Not bad.)

Hard evening. I have a friend (good friend, mentor, and so much more) who is having surgery tomorrow. Her son has not told me much about what is going on but from what I have pieced together it is extremely serious and will have a very long recovery. Some of this has hit me hard, and I know that it is selfishness on my part because she has been such an important part of my life. She is a great and awesome lady with a very strong faith (I can only hope to have such strength of faith). if you are so inclined to pray, please offer up a prayer for her, her family and the medical staff who will be caring for her.

Day 58/5

Very long, very emotional day.

I left home at 6 this am and just got home at 830pm.  I went to the hospital where my friend is still undergoing surgery.  It is an hour fortyfive minutes away form me.  While there, the rest of her family went into detail about how extensive the cancer is and how big the surgery.  (She went into surgery at 930 this am and won't be out until around 11pm tonight).  I was shocked and overwhelmed - and feeling guilty for a variety of reasons.  Just emotionally drained.  

Got back into town just in time for an appointment, where I then proceeded to cry in front of a bunch of people (which I really hate to do).  Got a call from DS that he didn't have the new insurance card for his doctors visit (which I had forgotten to give to him - can't get used to kids going on their own to the dr) so had to go out to the other end of town to take care of that.  Didn't have time to get home for supper so I stopped at a burger place.  The burger was ok, but I was starving so I had the fries also.  I checked - they are cooked in canola oil (not ideal, but ok for occasional use).  Something, however, has caused the entire roof of my mouth and tongue to feel raw and slightly swollen.  Ugh.  From there, I went to church, where I once again cried in front of a whole bunch of people (slightly ok since they are all my church family, not strangers).  So now, I sit in bed with a raw mouth and puffy eyes, yes, crying again.  

Tomorrow is a new day and I plan to sleep in and then go for a hike.  The legs are still slightly sore (the good kinda sore) but they have had a two day break (unintentional) and need to stretch out again.  Plus I am going back to the therapeutic massage therapist in the evening to work on that hip some more.  

M1:  eaten on the road - two chicken apple sausages, banana, carrot sticks

M2:  hospital cafeteria - scrambled eggs (tasted like cardboard), fruit juice

M3:  burger with fried egg on top, lettuce and tomato.  French fries cooked in canola oil.  

Archived