Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moody teenagers...yes, I have one also...I always try to remind myself that whenever we do something together, he is mentally in the same state as I am -"Oh great, moody mom...!"  :D I was a moody teenager once and I am being repaid over and over!!

Sorry for work troubles.  Maybe she is being brought into your life for her to learn from you....?  Stay strong.

There's always someone that gives us a pinch in our family or work.  You're working so hard but with your determination, you can accomplish anything you've set your heart out to do.   May you have favor and plead your case out there on the trail.  You have an Advocate....He's the best ever on your behalf.

Day 71/18

I want to start my day's log by first thanking all of you for you love, support and encouragement.  I think that for the last few days I have been in a "mood" (as my children put it) and this log has become a "safe place" for me to vent.  I read back over a few of my recent posts and realized how whiney I was getting.  I am not negating stress by any means.  It pulls us down and makes us feel even worse.  However, I like to think that I am usually a fairly even keeled person.  God has blessed so many ways that I really have no room to complain.  Thank you for listening and helping me look at the blessings in my life :)

Home from work a little bit late this morning, but in bed by 830.  Slept until 2pm.  Today is my best friends birthday, so first on my list of "things to do today" was to get her gift to her :)  I caught up to her as she was headed out for the afternoon and visited for a few minutes, then I was off to the gym.  I was going to do a "light" workout today since my hip has been bothering me, but felt so good once I warmed up, I cranked up the incline on the treadmill to 11.5%!  One and a half hours at 3.5 mph and I thought I was done.  I looked at the mileage and realized I only needed one more mile to reach 500 miles for the year.  I just couldn't let that mile go.  So, I changed it up and did an 8:20 mile on the elliptical!  Loved it - even though it almost killed me!   :P

After my workout and a quick hair cut, I went to see my friend at the rehab center.  When I got there, there were a lot of people already visiting, but they quickly went on there way and my friend and I had about 20 minutes of time, just the two of us.  I went there to minister to her - I left and she had ministered to me.  She is an amazing woman of God (and I aspire to be like her when I grow up :wub: ).  

M1:  barbacoa over romaine, sliced radishes and 1/2 avocado

M2:  tex mex casserole

M3:  2 chicken apple sausage, squeeze bag sweet potato (baby food), banana, dill pickles

In my rush to get moving this afternoon, I grabbed the casserole to eat in the car, and the M3 stuff to have after my workout.  I was planning on getting my "third" meal when I got home before going back to bed.  Was almost feeling a little "rushed" to try to get all three of my meals in from 2pm till 9pm.  It wasn't until after I had eaten M3 post workout that I realized that it WAS my third meal of the day - the first being before I went to sleep this morning.  Now, I am not hungry in the least, but I am still feeling like I am "missing" a meal.  Oh, the joys of night shift  :rolleyes: .

Day 72/19

Kind of a strange day. I got up early to meet a friend up north to walk together. I wasn't feeling bad this morning, but really wasn't feeling good either - mostly just tired. We walked the mall for about 5 miles then she took me to a local Whole Foods for lunch. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of things on the food bars to eat and had a really good lunch. I also found some more compliant bacon (they were not carrying the Pederson Farms brand anymore, but had one that had "Paleo Approved" stamped all over - I still double checked the ingredients :P ). On the way home (1 hour drive), I had to stop twice to go to the BR - don't know if it was something I ate (doubt it was lunch since I had literally just eaten) or something else. Despite this, I made it home in time to take a 1.5 hour nap before my manicure appointment. I almost called to cancel it, but had things to do after. Another trip to the bathroom (oh, I was hoping this wasn't the beginnings of a stomach bug) and I was on my way again. By the end of my manicure, my tummy was still tender and I was exhausted so I skipped my further errands and headed back home. I contempted calling out of work but as I was contempating, I passed my last chance call out time. So, I took another nap before work and headed in. Fortunately, I was feeling much better by time work rolled around. Have no idea what it was, but I am learning to listen to my body and do what it is asking for (even if it means 2 naps in one day!) - after all, the errands will still be there tomorrow.

M1: 4 eggs scrambled in ghee, last of the fruit from church sunday (4 grapes, 2 chunks canteloupe, 3 chunks pineapple, one slice mango)

M2: 2 curry baked eggs, small piece catfish with cajun spices, cucumber, pineapple and strawberries, beets, asparagus, snow peas. I treated myself to a bag of compliant potato chips but saved them for after I had eaten everything else - I ended up only eating about a third of the bag. And an Izze.

M3: smoked chicken leg quarter, pan roasted carrots (avocado oil), caramelized brussels sprouts with lime and crispy shallots recipe (stupideasypaleo.com) - these were soooooo good!

I am actually looking forward to a good night at work tonight and its going to rain tomorrow (makes for great sleeping) :D

post-43981-0-36389000-1427337089_thumb.j

Day 73/20

Home from work at 830, slept until 1pm but stayed in bed until almost 3pm.  Finally figured that I ought to get something done today!  Decided that since I got my summer haircut on Tuesday, that it was time for the dog.  I do most of her grooming myself (self taught) and over the last couple of years have been getting better and better, but it does take me a long time.  Wash dog, then blow dry and brush out.  Then the body gets clipped and then I work on the head and feet with scissors.  Usually takes 2-3 hours.  Then, we (both dogs and I) head to the groomer at petsmart to get nails and ears done, and the little one that I groomed gets a 15 minutes "feet and face" to fix what I messed up :)  

After that chore was finished, I made dinner, watched some "Third Rock from the Sun" with DS who was also home this evening.  Now I am tired and its time to go back to bed :)  In the back of my head I was planning to go on a hike tomorrow (the only day this week I could because of work) but now the weather guys are calling for rain and 40s.  So, I don't think I am going to.  I will sleep in tomorrow and see how I feel in the am.  

M1:  barbacoa over romaine and sliced radish

M2:  smoked chicken, dill pickles, banana

M3:  huge pile of caramelized brussels (stupideasypaleo.com) - but I added a couple slices of bacon to it today, 2 lg pan roasted carrots, smoked chicken, handful of pistachios, handful of raisins

Day 74/21

Slept in til 930 this morning, but it took me until 1030 to get out of bed (I'm really liking lazy mornings). Had a couple hours worth of work to do at the church and then headed for the gym. A short work out today and I headed out to run some errands. Back home to meet with the invisible fence people. I am resorting to running the invisible fence along the fence line to try to keep the beagle from digging under the fence. (Last week she got out four days in a row). Afterwards, headed back into town to see my friend in rehab - she is going home on Monday! Dr wants 6 weeks of healing, then radiation will be starting. Home for dinner and an early night in bed since I work days tomorrow.

M1: Barbacoa over shredded lettuce and radishes

M2: smoked chicken salad, banana, dill pickles

M3: venison sausage, sweet potato, 4 eggs

Day 75/22

Day shift work day.  Didn't sleep well last night.  DS had a friend over.  They weren't being noisy - just not quiet.  Think I last looked at the clock around 130am.....  Anyway, day shift went pretty quickly and I go back to work tomorrow.  So, earlyish night tonight :)

M1:  2 eggs scrambled with green pepper, onion, and mushrooms, turkey sausage, bowl of mixed fresh fruit

M2:  beef stroganoff, green beans

M3:  smoked chicken salad, banana, dill pickles

Day 76/23

Day shift work day today.  Good day at work for a change :)

M1:  tex/mex casserole with 2 eggs over easy on top

M3:  barbacoa over shredded romaine and radishes with 1/2 avocado

M3:  smoked chicken leg quarter, clementine

Day 77/24

Transition day from Day shift to Night shift.  I slept until 9am when I was wakened by a phone call.  I was able to doze off and on until noon when I got up and cooked and packed my meals for the day.  M1 eaten.  Then I went back to bed.  I really wasn't feeling life today :)  Finally got myself moving and headed to the gym and hour later than I had wanted to.  I decided to change my workout up a little bit - ran/walked a 5K in 42 minutes, then hit the incline (12% today) for another 30 minutes, then headed to work.  I wanted to get there a little bit early because my ex-FIL had been admitted and I dropped by to see him for a few minutes.  (I may not talk to my ex very much (i.e. as little as possible) but still have a good relationship with my in-laws).  Work started out slow, but looks like its going to be an explosive end :)

I did not plan my meals very well.  I ate at home, then packed two meals.  Somehow my brain processed the meal at home as meal 2 when it was really meal one.  So, that means, I am good for today but don't have my breakfast for the morning.  Hopefully I will be awake enough when I get off to at least scramble some eggs :)

M1:  2 eggs + 2 egg whites, scrambled, banana, dill pickles

M2:  2 hamburger patties, sauteed mushrooms and onions, with mayo and 1/2 avocado, roasted carrots, roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon

M3:  tex mex casserole, 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs

I did get an email from the company that we are using to hike in the Grand Canyon in October.  They sent a "training schedule" and information sheet to make sure that I am physically able to do the hike.  Makes me kind of nervous.  But I am in better shape than I was and still have 6 month to get ready.   :blink: Somehow that just doesn't seem like long enough......

Karen, very cool about the Grand Canyon!  I believe in you.  :)

Just a thought -- take it or leave it, as always -- but maybe consider wearing some ankle weights during your walks & especially your hikes outdoors.  You could start really small, just one pound per ankle, and work your way up.  (I know they sell them adjustable, I think up to 10 pounds).

You know I am big on building muscle.  I know your focus is on racking up those miles right now for your contest.  But I do feel like adding some resistance training would benefit you greatly, in so many ways, and definitely for hiking the Grand Canyon.  

Another option would be to start wearing a backpack with some extra weight in it.  Add a can of soup here, a can of veggies there, gradually increase your weight.  Or take some light weights with you and do bicep curls while you are walking on the treadmill.  Lots of possibilities!

• Moderators

You'll get there, Karen! I am astounded at the miles you put on every day. It's wonderful, and I have no doubt you'll be ready for that hike.

I keep seeing that tex-mex casserole on your menu, and it makes me a little sad that you don't like it very much. You must have made a boatload of the stuff!

Good luck putting together a decent breakfast. . . . 

Day 78/25

Wow - what a day (night - whatever).  

I had typed up yesterdays log and then got called out to a delivery - and another and another.....  somewhere along the way my log got posted later than I wrote it - and it wasn't edited.  Basically, I never got around to eating M3.  So, I should have eaten it for M1 today when I got home from work, but I was so tired, I just couldn't face it.  I went to bed without eating.  

I slept like the dead - literally.  DD woke me when she came home from school at 3pm.   (Even the 11 text messages and several email alerts didn't wake me).  When I woke up, I felt like I wanted to be dead.  Everything hurt.  Horrible headache, every muscle and joint ached, my mouth felt like cotton and my eyes were burning.   Ugh.  But, as I started moving, and ate something and had a huge glass of water, the headache went away and the muscle aches turned into that "good sore" you get when you work muscles harder than they are used to (the run yesterday?  or the increased incline? - crazy thing is the worst of it is in my back ribcage area.  I did use a new sports bra yesterday that is snugger than my others - maybe that was it?).  So, I spent some time with DD and then decided to get in a workout.  Unfortunately, it was close to dinner time (for the kids anyway) so I made them dinner first and put mine in the fridge for later.  

On the way to the gym, as it was 72 degrees outside, I decided to start my workout with a walk around town.  This was cut short by some very ominous rain clouds and the start of some rain, so I high-tailed it back to the gym.  After reading about the training needed for the Grand Canyon walk, I decided since I was warmed up, I would get on the stair climber just to see what I could do.  The last time I was on that thing I lasted all of 10 minutes before I thought I was going to die.  I didn't have high expectations.  So, I jumped on and turned on my Chris Tomlin Burning Lights video and just started climbing.  Next thing I knew it was 40 minutes later!!!!  I was going to go a little bit longer when I then checked my fitbit to see how many miles I was at (between the walk and the stairs) - it had broken  :( Instead of continuing on (after all, I just lost my whole workout), I cut my workout short and headed to the store to buy a new one.  When I got home to set up the new tracker, I realized the old one had started working again.   The thing is, the case is badly cracked and it still hadn't picked up half of the workout, so I decided it was time to retire it and still go with the new one.  

M1:  4 eggs over easy, roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon, banana

M2:  2 hamburfer patties with homemade mayo, 1/2 avocado and sautéed sliced onion.  roasted carrots and sweet potato seasoned with thyme

workout:  2 miles walk (32 minutes), stair master (42 min, 1350 steps, 82 floors)

I keep seeing that tex-mex casserole on your menu, and it makes me a little sad that you don't like it very much. You must have made a boatload of the stuff!

This is my last serving of the casserole.  It does make quite a lot :)  I probably didn't have a big of serving of it as something that I loved, and I am also the only one eating it.  For some reason, the kids won't eat it.  It's not horrible, just needs way, way more seasoning.  I suppose I was expecting it to taste more like tacos than just ground meat and veg.  :P

Karen, very cool about the Grand Canyon!  I believe in you.   :)

Just a thought -- take it or leave it, as always -- but maybe consider wearing some ankle weights during your walks & especially your hikes outdoors.  You could start really small, just one pound per ankle, and work your way up.  (I know they sell them adjustable, I think up to 10 pounds).

You know I am big on building muscle.  I know your focus is on racking up those miles right now for your contest.  But I do feel like adding some resistance training would benefit you greatly, in so many ways, and definitely for hiking the Grand Canyon.  

Another option would be to start wearing a backpack with some extra weight in it.  Add a can of soup here, a can of veggies there, gradually increase your weight.  Or take some light weights with you and do bicep curls while you are walking on the treadmill.  Lots of possibilities!

You know, as I am walking on that treadmill, I am looking at all the weight equipment thinking that I really should be doing some of that  ;)   I just got to get started!  When I started out with the challenge, it took so much time to get so few miles in.  Now that I am meeting and exceeding daily goals, I might have to make a little time a couple times a week for other things.  Then I got on the stairmaster today and was frustrated at how slowly the miles were adding up.  Go figure  :rolleyes:

I had not thought about using ankle weights.  It certainly would help.  I think I have some in the basement that I am going to have to dig up.   When I go on my long hikes, I do carry my backpack.  For the Grand Canyon hike, I have to carry 3 L of water with me as well as my lunch.  One of my last hikes, I got back and weighed my pack.  With my jacket, food and water it weighed in at 18.5 pounds - and that was with half the food eaten!  I am thinking of adding some extra water since I easily go through 3 L in 5 hours of mountain hiking - without the heat.  I think I am going to need more in the summer.  However, water is heavy to carry......  

The Grand Canyon is just one of the hikes we are doing.  I am going with my parents walking group.  They have met every other year for the last 22 years now.  That all met by accident on an England Coast to coast walk and have just planned their walks together since.  I went with them 2 years ago to Scotland.  (If you are interested, you can read about my adventures on my Blog:  www.kmlynne.com)  I was able to walk about 75% of the West Highland and Great Glen Way.  I was fat, out of shape, and had just had knee surgery 4 months before, so I was quite proud of what I was able to do.  (My lack of being able to do the whole thing is part of what led me to w30)  This year, the group was originally planning to go to Greece, but that was way out of my price range.  When they changed their minds and decided to go to Sedona AZ, I jumped at the chance to go hiking again.   I am so excited to show the group how much better (and thinner) I have gotten :)  No skipping hikes for me!  :D

Not all of the walks have been completely planned out.  We are going to stay at one hotel for the first week, then go to the GC for a four day hiking adventure.  Day one hikes into the canyon to Havasu Falls.  We camp at the bottom and days 2 and 3 are spent hiking to other falls in the area at the bottom.  Day four is spent hiking out of the canyon.  Reading everything, it seems it is a 10 mile hike with an elevation loss (then gain) of 2500 feet.  The steepest part is the first 1.5 miles (last leg coming out) where there is a 1000 ft elevation loss/gain.  That is the worrisome part.  However, when I started really looking into the hikes that I am already doing, I seem to be in good shape.  For example, the Cedar Run trail that I walked a couple of weeks ago is a 2450 gain in 4 miles.  

I guess I really won't know what it is going to be like until I get there - in the meantime: train, train, train!

Day 79/26

Well, I fell off the wagon again.  It all started with a piece of cake that the kids left on the kitchen counter.  The cake led to the two pints of Ben and Jerry's that have been languishing in the freezer.  Then I started foraging.  I forget everything that I ate, but I know that it included a box of Little Debbie oatmeal cakes, some ho-hos and some cookie dough (I couldn't wait long enough for it to bake).  Since I still felt ok after eating all that, I decided that I might as well make a day of it.  On the way to the movies for popcorn and candy (don't forget the large soda - regular, thank you), I stopped at Chick Fil A for a chicken sandwich and fries.  Oh, I went to the 21 and up movie theater so that I could have a couple of drinks while I was enjoying the movie.  Dinner was Nacho's smothered in cheese and sour cream for an appetizer.  This was followed by Fetticuinni Alfredo and for dessert a brownie sunday covered with fried ice cream.  

Activity:  I think that I actually made it to 250 steps today - mostly because I couldn't find a close parking space to the movie theater.

Hope tomorrow is a better day.......

Karen, you got me!  Until I got to the part about the drinks at the movie theater.  The lightbulb came on, and I was onto you after that!   :lol:

Thanks.  This is the only joke I've had all day.  ...Or at least... I think so...  

No! I really didn't do this! I was feeling a bit feisty today and was trying to play and April Fool's prank since it is the first of April!

But thanks for being judgement free :D

:lol:                 

I was washing my dishes thinking about it, pinocchio.gif washing my face...thinking about it.   It could happen to anyone but I'm  glad it really didn't happen.  pinocchio.gif

realjudgment.jpg       1a0f92aa068bd8a332316701ce4a1c7c.jpg

Day 79/26 (for real!)

Kind of a mixed up day schedule-wise. I got up with DD this morning, then went back to bed.  I stayed in bed later than I should have (again).  Instead of working out in the afternoon like I seemed to be doing, I decided to wait until after church so that I could have some time with DD.  I stopped by to see my friend at her home (so good to see her there) and then to the grocery store.  The budget is really tight for the next couple of weeks, so I bought everything as cheap as possible, trying to overlook that is isn't "grass-fed/finished, etc".  I did find a bargain on "hormone/antibiotic/cage free" chicken and eggs so bought plenty of those.  I am going to have to dig in the freezer for later in the week.  Anyway, once home, I made and early supper for DD (saving mine for later) and spent time chatting with her.  Church this evening and finally made it to the gym about 920pm.  Realized then (since I really wanted my bed) that it wasn't the best of plans, but time with DD was worth it.  In return, she said that I don't have to get up with her in the am - her lunch and breakfast are already packed and in the fridge for her. :)

M1:  tex mex casserole and 2 poached eggs (this is the last of the casserole - the meal I was going to eat at work the other day)

M2:  4 eggs scrambled, leftover roasted carrots/sweet potato and sautéed onion from last night

M3:  chicken thigh, caramelized brussels with shallots and bacon

Activity:  1.5 hours (5.5 miles) on the dreadmill

Archived