Kmlynne's Whole 30: 2015

Kmlynne

Day 106/52

Slept 8 hours last night - I literally fell into bed almost as soon as I got home from church.  I was up at 0630 to make DD her requested omelet (onion/mushroom/cheese), then I went back to bed.  Was planning on just laying there until about 730 or 8 (truly, I had to crawl back under the electric blanket to warm up) - next thing I knew, it was 10am.  Guess I needed that sleep.

After breakfast, I went out for a walk.  Used the ankle weights again - again only making it 7 miles before having to take them off.   I was going to wear them for the entire walk, but when I couldn't pick up my feet enough to keep from falling over the minuscule crack in the sidewalk....  well, they got carried the last mile  :rolleyes:

Once home, I had great plans....  clean out the closet (I keep pulling out my "favorite" clothes - shorts, skirts, jeans, etc - that keep falling off my hips when I wear them.  Need to rearrange the drawers and put the "fat" clothes in the bottom drawers and the "almost skinny" clothes in the top drawers), study, balance the checkbook and pay the bills.  Well, not much got done.  Started on the checkbook and couldn't get it to balance (was missing money).  After several hours, and after taking a break, I finally found the math error....  *sigh*.  

Dinner made - then eaten sitting out on the back deck.  Between dinner time and my walk this afternoon, my freshly peeled shoulders are once again burned....

Church service this evening.  

Now, for bed :)  Am thinking about a long hike tomorrow - 10 miles if I can get out the door early enough  :blink:

M1:  4 eggs scrambled, roasted broccoli, banana

M2:  2 chicken thighs (Chicken with Onion-Mustard Sauce from Paleoleap.com) - so yummy!, roasted carrots and cauliflower

M3:  chicken leg, 2 eggs, pumpkin

Activity - 9 miles

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 107/53

Slept 8 hours last night.  Still woke up a bit tired, but after getting DD off to school (with her requested pumpkin smoothie - I am trying to get her to eat healthier - guess its better than poptarts) I decided to get in the closet and purge out all the clothes that no longer fit.  Then, I cracked open the books and got to studying.  Took a break this afternoon to go and get a haircut, then back to studying.  Church this evening.  Now heading for bed.

I didn't get a walk in today because I was feeling guilty about missing time with the books - and because my feet were really hurting this morning when I got out of bed.  Had a couple of areas of point tenderness, especially when I weight bore.  Fortunately, they must have just been "kinks" since they got better during the day.

Had a strange moment this afternoon.  I had packed a meal to take with me  (went from haircut right to church to study before service).  However, as I was passing the Chick-Fil-A, I really, really, really (I mean really) wanted to turn in and get a chicken sandwich and fries.  Even tried to justify getting it.  I had to do some fast talking to myself to keep from turning in.  I realized that one of the main things I was trying to justify was to save the meal I packed for later so that I wouldn't have to cook.  Maybe I am just tired today, and maybe its because I haven't taken the time for a big cook day to put food in the fridge.  I realized that I am just tired of cooking.  I don't want to take the time to wait for veggies to roast, for chicken to cook.  I want the ease of driving through and picking up ready to eat food.  Humph.

Instead, I pulled up my big girl panties and reminded myself of what I have accomplished (and of the pile of clothes on the floor of my closet that no longer fit me).   :P

M1:  3 eggs fried, guac, roasted broccoli

M2:  chicken thigh (leftover from m2 yesterday) with roasted carrots and cauliflower

M3:  2 hamburger patties, 1 large sliced sautéed onion, guac, pumpkin

Activity:  all mental  :blink:   (Tomorrow, I will go for a hike)

It happens.  The brain longs for its old grooves and wants to return to the favorite pleasure center with rewards. The brain is like a dog waiting for any treat.  You can feed your dog the best dogfood on the market and they'll still go out into the yard and eat a worm or big bug.  You think to yourself...why would you do that?!

My brain turned into a Tennessee Mule for awhile. It wanted to lay down in the middle of the trail and let me go home without it.  My brain wanted to take a vacay without me and make me forget why I was working so hard.  I believe it's complete rebellion and throes of giving up the comfort of food rewards.

So I asked the mule if it would get back up.  You don't order a mule to do anything.  With some coaxing, the brain is back in business.   It's a sketchy time because those who've been doing this as long as we have call it hitting the wall.  It's another crossroads where the lure of rewards becomes strong but the pain of rebound weight gain outweighs the immediate gratification of food rewards.

You made it through it.   Thank God.

Day 108/54

Slept almost 8 hours last night. Up with DD and once she was out the door, I headed out to the gym. Had to get my workout in early as I had a friend coming over for the afternoon. Home by 1130 for a shower and quick lunch before she came. We headed out to the mall together and ended up in Macy's. Now, I don't usually shop there ($), but I saw a dress I really liked on a clearance rack. I grabbed my usual size (3x) and was swimming in it. Tried the 2x and it was a little loose. Then I saw the price tag and put it away! But, it got me thinking. I found a skirt, a shirt and a dress in a 1x and went to try them on. The skirt - no way. The shirt fit nicely. I almost bought the dress. It was just a bit too snug, although I really liked it. I think I might have to go back closer to the end of summer and see if it is on clearance by then :)

After shopping, we went to a burger place for an early dinner. Then we went to the movies to see Kingsman. Good flick :)

M1: 3 eggs scrambled, 1/2 banana, clementine

M2: last chicken thigh with onion mustard sauce (had a bunch of mushrooms and onions left

M3: 1/2 lb hamburger patty topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, sauteed onion, sauteed mushrooms, guacamole. It was HUGE!

Activity: 10 miles today! 9 at the gym, another mile around the store. Actually, I was at 22900 steps when I was getting ready for bed. I just had to walk around my bedroom until I hit 23000 :). I know, I'm nuts!

Day 109/55

Up to get DD off to school after sleeping 7 or 8 hours (I forget what time I turned off the light last night...).  

Last night I had called my parents - we were planning a hike for today, but the weather forecast was calling for rain.  We decided to put the hike off till next week, however, when I got up, it wasn't raining and the weather forecast had changed for the better.  We decided to go ahead and hike, risking getting rained on.  In the scramble to get out of the house, I had water boiling and pulled the eggs out of the fridgie to make some for breakfast and lunch and the carton felt aweful light....  DS had been getting into the eggs and there was only two left.  Plans changed, and I ended up stopping at the grocery store to get something together to take on the hike with me.  I also had to stop to get gas, and then stopped at Walmart to get a jacket since I somehow left mine at home and it was cold outside.  Can you believe that since it is "summer", there were no jackets in Walmart?  So, when I got to Mom and Dad's, I asked dad if he had a light jacket or sweatshirt I could wear - something that was too big for him.  Usually, nothing he has fits me.....  Today, he handed me a shirt that he said just fit him and I pulled it on - not only did it fit, but it fit comfortable :)  

Our hike today was a 6.5 mile up a mountain, then back down.  Dad had taken me on this hike a couple of years ago.  I really struggled back then, even coming really close to crying during the last mile up.  Going back down the mountain wasn't much better because right at the end there is a .5 mile steep uphill section that was very hard on tired legs.  Today, although the hike wasn't a "walk in the park" by any means, it was a good walk.  My legs felt pleasantly tired and sore by the end.  I didn't stop to "rest" on any of the uphills.  I enjoyed myself.  This was especially gratifying since I was walking on legs that had a lot of miles put on them this week.  Feeling Fabulous!

After getting home, I threw some dinner in the oven, then went to DD's high school to watch their play performance of "Into the Woods".  It was quite good and the hard work that the students put in really showed.  The only thing was that after sitting in an auditorium seat for 2.5 hours, my hips really stiffened up and it was hard to get moving again :)

M1:  2 aidells chicken apple sausage, banana

M2:  2 aidells chicken apple sausage, green beans, nuts, 2 clementines (eating in small amounts over the course of the hike)

M3:  2 chicken thighs, roasted carrots, nuts

Activity:  13 mile hike

I woke up this morning and you were on my heart.  If abby normal food cravings try to sneak up on you when you're unaware or you're truly hungry...eat something satisfying with a good amount of protein and a nice dollop of fat.  I did this 3 X last week.  Not something teeny tiny but an actual meal.  It's my backup strategy.  I rarely eat out but it was part of mind's reboot.

If you don't have time to fix this meal...figure out a go-to place ahead of time, where you can go and get your hands on a great meal when you're tired.  I have a place like this.  I have to drive quite a distance but when I get there, it's sooo worth it.  They know me.  I can get 2 lemony chicken breasts or steak, fresh broccoli, asparagus, a salad with avocado slices, roasted vegetables...whatever they have for the day. 

I eat it there or bring it home.  It's saved me from falling back into highly craved foods.  A backup strategy is my go-to cravings buster.  A Whole 30 Reboot meal.

Day 110/56

A beautiful, gorgeous Saturday!

Up early to make DD breakfast before her SATs today. Then I went back to bed to try to sleep. I couldn't so, finally decided to get up and moving. Grocery shopping day - two grocery stores and the farmers market. Then home for a bit of a cook up. Spent the afternoon (and evening) studying. All in all, a good day :)

M1: Barbacoa, banana

M2: chicken thigh, baby carrots, pistachios

M3: chicken leg quarter, mushrooms and onions

Activity: much needed rest day: 1.5 miles

Day 111/58

Slept about 7 hours last night, and woke up at 630 on the dot.  Willed myself to roll over and go back to sleep since I didn't have to get up until 815.  A surprise text from the Praise Team directed gave me another 30 minutes on top of that!  How nice!

Great day at church today - we had a bluegrass gospel band come to play for our service.  Not my favorite style of music but I still enjoyed it.  

After church, I decided to head out for a short hike.  Well, during the hike, I decided to make it a longer one.  Sad to say that I shouldn't have done that.  About mile 10, my legs were pleasantly sore.  By mile 13, I was hating life.  My hips hurt so badly, and my legs ached even more.  I was never so glad to see my car.  I am trying to figure out what is going on.  After this week, I should have been able to handle 10+ miles.  I even had a rest day yesterday.  I know that I should have taken more water with me.  I had 1.5 L, but had drunk it all about 1/2 way through.  But although it was warm, I wasn't drenched in sweat (like I sometimes get).  (And no, I wasn't to the point of being unable to sweat).   I did drink another 1.5L of water on the way home and have had 2 quarts since being home.

Well, I made it home and took a hot shower.  I packed lunches for myself and for DD for tomorrow (work day), then put on Ben-gay from hips to toes and took some Ibuprofen.  I have crawled in the bed with the electric blanket on (to increase the effects of the Ben-gay).  Now, as I lie here in bed, by feet and calves keep cramping.   I logged my miles for the day and realized that I am only .3miles away from the 750 mile mark for the year!  I am so wishing I could get up and walk around the house to get those last three tenths in - but there is no way I am getting that from these legs tonight....   :( .

M1:  3 eggs scrambled, Sweet and Salty Broccoli (and cauliflower) Salad (Well Fed 2), banana

M2:  chicken leg quarter with onion and mushrooms 

M3:  snack during hiking:  pistachios, 2 clementines

M4:  barbacoa, roasted carrots, dill pickles

Activity:  13 miles

Brewer5:  when you work out, have you ever gotten to that point where the muscles just don't want to give anymore?  How do you push past that?

• Moderators

Karen, i wonder if this isn't a fueling issue catching up with you. It looks like you ate very little yesterday, for example, and in general your meals seem quite small to me.

Karen, i wonder if this isn't a fueling issue catching up with you. It looks like you ate very little yesterday, for example, and in general your meals seem quite small to me.

Hugs and kisses all around.   More protein, roasted green vegetables.....(roasted kale, broccoli, asparagus, spinach)  and more dollops of good fats.   Bone Broth would really help you to prevent hitting the wall.   Give you more stamina.  I wilt spinach with good fat or bone broth...use as the bed for compliant spaghetti sauce with ground beef, other dishes.

After this week, I should have been able to handle 10+ miles.

Brewer5:  when you work out, have you ever gotten to that point where the muscles just don't want to give anymore?  How do you push past that?

Karen, first off -- this first sentence stood out to me before I'd even read the rest.  Here's why:  You really need to cut yourself a bit of slack, and realize that these things take time.  There are SO many factors that go into our level of fitness, our recovery, our strength and endurance.  Just because you could do something one day does not automatically mean that you are going to be able to do it every day, or even every other day.  It just doesn't work that way.  The same as our weight loss is not always linear -- we have peaks and valleys, ups and downs -- we do not "get fit" in a linear fashion, either.  

Stress and sleep play a HUGE role in how much our bodies can handle.  Remember that exercise is actually a stressor on your body.  In general, a "good" stressor, yes -- but a stressor all the same.  You are breaking down muscle, you are using up glycogen, you are asking your body to change and adapt, you want it to rebuild stronger for next time.  If you do not get enough rest (and WE don't get to decide how much rest is really needed -- only your body can tell you that), you will not recover as well.  If you have other stressors in your life of any kind -- they all add up to your own, unique, "total load" on your body.

I don't do endurance training like you are doing.  But I do reach "failure" with lifting, when the muscle just literally cannot lift the weight.  In this instance, a brief rest period of 1-2 minutes allows the muscle to recover and be ready for more work.  Did you sit down?  Did you give yourself a little break?  I can see you just pushing on and on and on, thinking you need to keep moving (when this really isn't the case).  If I am wrong, correct me.

I do have some thoughts on your nutrition, if you are going to continue with this type of endurance work.  Are you going to keep pushing yourself for more and more miles each day?  If so...  Look back on where you started, and realize that what you were doing then may not necessarily be what is going to work now.  You are asking an awful lot of your body, ma'am, and you need to fuel accordingly.

Thank you all for your comments - I am completely taking them to heart.  I spent a little bit of time looking back at the beginning of the w30 (whole whatever number I am on).  I have begun to realize that I am eating the same (or even, gasp, maybe, possibly a little less) now than I was a couple of months ago.  I feel like I am eating big portions.  I am not hungry most of the time when I sit down to eat.  I feel full about 1/2 way through a meal - but knowing that I have to fuel, I finish.  Most of all, the biggest thing that I have noticed is that as my activity has increased, my food hasn't.  In fact, yesterday's hike was the first time all week that I had a fourth meal.  

I think that I stopped with the pre/post workout meals when I stopped looking at my hikes as "workouts".  It made sense when I was going to the gym and spending an hour or two working to my max.  When I started going out to hike, I was no longer "breaking a good sweat" - no longer pushing myself every moment.  It became a "hike" and not a "workout".

After I slept last night, I felt great this morning.  If I hadn't had to go to work, I would have probably been back out on the trails.  However, that made me wonder how much walking I actually did last week.  I logged 72 miles in 8 days.  No wonder my legs were tired.

Brewer5:  you are right, I didn't stop.  I think that part of me just wanted to be done, and part of me was fearful that if I did stop, I wouldn't be able to keep going. I even ate my "snack" while I was walking.  I almost hate to admit it, but I used to be an athlete.  I swam competitively (workouts included biking, weights and running as well as swimming), even participating in Junior Olympics.  But I was young back then.  When I look back, I see improvement over the long run and I guess I have forgotten the ups and downs of daily practice.  (I do remember the coach telling me that a day missed in workout took two days to build back up).  I also used to fuel myself with not so healthy foods (did I mention I was young?).  Carb loading with spaghetti the night before a meet, etc.  I don't see myself as an athlete anymore, so I don't think about all those things that go with it (workout routines, feuling, etc).

I guess I am trying to say that my "workout" style is more "balls to the wall".  I push my body until it pushes back.  I forget that I am old(er).  I forget that I need to recover.  

I suppose my body just helped me remember  :P

So, today, I tried to add just a little bit more fuel.  We will see how it goes from here!

Day 112/59

Slept great last night - over 8 hours and woke before the alarm.  Finished packing lunch for DD and myself and headed to work.  A pleasant day there - had some time to talk with my manager about goals and expectations over the coming months.  I got talked into applying for a board position  - a 3 year commitment.  Not sure what I am getting myself into  :rolleyes: I think my manager is trying to get me into more leadership type of things.  

My schedule did get rearranged and instead of working 2 half days tomorrow and wednesday, I am now working a full day on thursday.  At the same time, a friend called and wanted to go hiking at a new park tomorrow.  Works out all around!  So, once home this evening, I packed breakfast and lunch, as well as a hiking snack for tomorrow.  It will be a shorter hike (probably no more than 8 miles) tomorrow, so it will be good to see how a day of relative rest and some extra food does for me.

M1:  4 sb eggs, 3 cups sweet and salty broccoli (cauliflower) salad

M2:  chicken thigh, 3 cups zoodles with moroccan dipping sauce (well fed), dill pickles

M3:  chicken thigh cooked with 1 cup mushrooms and onions (mustard sauce), 2 cups roasted carrots, 2 clementines, 1/2 bag potato chips

Activity:  work

• Moderators

Also, I just want to chime in and say we all have "off" days. It's important learning for us. I've learned that I struggle in my workouts the week leading up to my period, even when I increase fuel, especially the starchy veg my body craves during that time. If I don't get at least 8 hours of sleep consistently, my workouts suffer. In fact, I won't work out if I haven't gotten a minimum of 8 hours the night before.

It is difficult to discern when it's appropriate to push and when to rest, but setting the intention to figure that out for yourself will reap great rewards.

I also hope as your fitness continues to increase and you feel comfortable branching out a bit that you consider a bit of cross training. It might help your legs to try a recumbent bike now and again to keep working the muscles but give the joints a little break. I know Brewer has talked about weights--deliberately building muscle in that way is definitely a game changer. And what about your flexibility? Do you stretch?

Don't get me wrong, what you're doing is fantastic, and the last thing I want to do is overwhelm you. But as you keep gaining strength and find you're ready to appropriately push forward, these might be some things to think about.

You're an inspiration, lady!

(I do remember the coach telling me that a day missed in workout took two days to build back up). 

I do find with every missed day, the ground gets colder.  It is starting all over again.  There are months and months with snow on the ground.  When Spring finally comes, it's so different than what I've been doing in the gym.  There's nothing like another mountain to climb.   Thanks for helping me get there.   You spur me to the top.

I am so impressed with your outlook and how far it sounds like you've come.  Do you ever ice your hips?  I have hip bursitis and when I walk too much, it helps to slap an ice pack on the hips for 5-10 mins.  That, with stretching, seems to work wonders for me.  I also roll my feet on frozen water bottles  - helps there too.

Good luck with your hiking!

Day 113/60

The best laid plans of mice and men..... Best laid plans don't always work out and you just have to roll with it.

For the first time in I can't remember how long, I woke at 430 needed to go to the BR. I saw DSs light still on and went to fuss at him only to find him in the living room. He had started having some chest pain yesterday and during the night, it woke him up. He said he couldn't lie flat, had to sit up so he could breathe. So, I took him to the ER. We didn't get home until 0930 - with a diagnosis of pneumonia and prescription of antibiotics.

I medicated him for the continuing pain, ate some breakfast and went to get his prescription filled. Since I didn't get out for my hike, I decided to study so I could stay close to home for DS. I spent most of the dozing instead of studying (lack of sleep last night). :)

So, now it is evening and I still think I am going to sleep well today. Hopefully the weather will be good tomorrow so I can meet my friend to hike!

M1: 4 sb eggs, broccoli/cauliflower salad

M2: roasted chicken thigh, nuts, 2 clementines

M3: 2 brats, sauerkraut, mashed potatos, applesauce

Activity: none. Sleep: 5-6 hours, with several naps during the day

114/61

Woke at 530 this am - what's the deal with the early wakenings?

Ended up getting up and getting moving since I was meeting a friend at a park about an hour away. Good thing I did because traffic caused me to take almost 2 hours to get there (only an hour to come home, tho).

We had a great 8 mile hike and sat by the falls for lunch.

On the drive home I was feeling a little sleepy, so after I got home and showered I laid down and ended up having a 2 hour nap :)

I went to visit my friend who had surgery a while back. She is in her second week of radiation and is doing very well. Loved the time spent with her - as always I go to minister and she ministered to me.

M1: 4 eggs scrambled, banana

M2: nuts and dried fruit mix

M3: chicken thighs (2), zoodles with Moroccan dressing, roasted carrots, orange juice

M4: chicken thigh, sweet and salty broccoli salad, 2 clementines

Activity: 8 miles

Day 115

Work day today.  We were very busy, very, very busy today.  However, since they decided to make me a postpartum nurse (and not the baby nurse ) for the day, I only had to focus on my own patients and not the whole unit.  In some ways, it made life much simpler.  (This is not to say that I didn't have a very heavy assignment, though).  Felt tired (and keyed up) but overall satisfied with a good days work.

M1: 4 sb eggs, sweet and salty slaw (I took WF's sweet and salty broccoli salad and used a store bought rainbow salad slaw mix for the veggies), banana

M2:  2 brats, mashed potatos, sauerkraut, applesauce

M3:  chicken leg quarter with mushrooms and onions in mustard gravy

It is Nurse's week.  For some reason, this is the week that we are inundated with sweets/food in our break room.  One Dr brought in 5 bags of semisweet chocolate chips for us.  There were 4 dozen "country" donuts, 3 pizza, and 2 boxes (about 3 doz/box) of cookies.  Why can't someone send fruit - or a veggie tray?

Activity:  pedometer showed 5 miles walked today :)  Like I said, busy day!

• Moderators

Day 115

It is Nurse's week.  For some reason, this is the week that we are inundated with sweets/food in our break room.  One Dr brought in 5 bags of semisweet chocolate chips for us.  There were 4 dozen "country" donuts, 3 pizza, and 2 boxes (about 3 doz/box) of cookies.  

This, to me, is an abomination. That the way health care personnel would choose to celebrate their own would be to feed them garbage that causes health problems? Crazy. 

I hope someone chooses to celebrate all your wonderful work in a very different way, Karen. Perhaps one that has nothing at all to do with food!

Also, very happy to see you eating four eggs at M1 :D  Looks like you're making a concerted effort to fuel yourself even better. Good for you!

This, to me, is an abomination. That the way health care personnel would choose to celebrate their own would be to feed them garbage that causes health problems? Crazy. 

It's job security  :P

And thanks (about the eggs ) - I'm trying!

Day 116

Great day today - and the weather was beautiful too.  Started the day with a hike in a new park area around a lake.  Not a lot of hills, but there were a couple of short steep ones.  

Once home and showered, I took a nap until I got called into work.  Worked 6 hours and am finally back home getting ready to eat M3 and head to bed.  I think the nap was from a combination of things: dogs woke me up at 2 am, and again at 5 am, even though I managed to sleep until 7.  So 8 hours of broken sleep.  I have been up early several days this week.   Also, it is warmer outside (I have never been a fan of the heat) and the humidity is rising also (I deal with humidity even less than I do the heat), so being active take a little more out of me.  I am also listening to my body more and if I am tired after a hike, I rest.  :)

M1:  2 chicken thighs, can of green beans, 1/2 jar artichoke hearts, cup of marinated mushrooms

M2:  (snack while walking) - .5L orange juice, 3 clementines - all out of nuts :( 

M3:  4 sb eggs, 3 cups sweet and salty slaw, banana

M4:  chicken leg quarter in mustard gravy with sautéed onion and mushrooms, mashed potatoes

Activity - total 13.5 miles today!

Archived