Need Advice...Am I eating too much? Bad habits but good food

AliElmer1

Hello!

I need some advice or a swift kick in the behind :-) I am on Day 12! Woo hoo! I have been feeling good, following the program and have been dedicated in my approach.

The last few days though I felt old, bad habits creeping in- and I didn't go off the Whole 30 but felt I was over eating- even if it was good food. 

I am doing the Whole 30, besides to lose some weight, to understand how food affects my body and to break the stress eating I typically do.

Here is a log of what I have been eating so far: 

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24426-whole-30-start-1122015-day-one/ 

Any suggestions or thoughts- as I go into Week 3 I want to change anything that looks like bad habits. My 4th week of Whole 30 I will be traveling for work 3 days so I really want to arm myself with good habits,

Thanks so much! This is a great community and has really been so helpful!

• Administrators

Hey AliElmer,

I just went and looked at your food log, you're definitely not eating too much, in fact I would say you aren't eating enough.  

The first thing that popped out at me is your Meal 1 breakfast, "monkey salad" is not an awesome way to start your day, it will leave you seeking carbs all day, snacking, feeling hungry before you should be.  Go for a template meal for breakfast.  If you think about it, you're waking up after a night of good (hopefully) sleep and the first thing you are giving your body is sugar and starch.  Not a great way to start.

Some of the protein in your meals is pretty light (the applegate sandwich meat for one) and they could use more veggies overall. You also note that you workout but you don't show eating a pre or post workout meal...so either you are underfeeding or your workouts aren't overly intense?

I think you might be feeling that "old habits, off the rails" feelings because you aren't getting enough to eat at your meals, thereby allowing snacky/cravings to sneak in.  If you have to eat between meals, make it protein and fat at least, ideally also veggies.

Hey AliElmer,

I just went and looked at your food log, you're definitely not eating too much, in fact I would say you aren't eating enough.  

The first thing that popped out at me is your Meal 1 breakfast, "monkey salad" is not an awesome way to start your day, it will leave you seeking carbs all day, snacking, feeling hungry before you should be.  Go for a template meal for breakfast.  If you think about it, you're waking up after a night of good (hopefully) sleep and the first thing you are giving your body is sugar and starch.  Not a great way to start.

Some of the protein in your meals is pretty light (the applegate sandwich meat for one) and they could use more veggies overall. You also note that you workout but you don't show eating a pre or post workout meal...so either you are underfeeding or your workouts aren't overly intense?

I think you might be feeling that "old habits, off the rails" feelings because you aren't getting enough to eat at your meals, thereby allowing snacky/cravings to sneak in.  If you have to eat between meals, make it protein and fat at least, ideally also veggies.

Thank you!!! That is really helpful! My last two work outs I did do Post WO - 1/2 chicken breast. And I know the Monkey Salad is not the best- but I was tired of eggs or meat.

Thanks so much! This is helpful!!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you find the food log? I am wondering the same thing, am I eating too much and how much salt is too much?

Folks can opt to keep individual food logs in the Your Whole30 Log section. 

If you haven't kept a log here yet, and want to get feedback on whether or not you're eating too much, post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section and request feedback. 

• Moderators

Where do you find the food log? I am wondering the same thing, am I eating too much and how much salt is too much?

You can start a food log in this section of the forum to record what you're eating. Base your meals on the meal template, and you'll be fine. Salt to taste. I doubt you'll end up using too much. 

• Administrators

Hi Cheryl,

You can create a food log in the Your Whole30 Log portion of our forum.  If you aren't interested in using a log but want to know if you're on teh right track, please post a new thread in our Troubleshooting forum with a few typical days of food including quantities eaten, fluids, sleep, stress, exercise and anything else we might benefit by knowing and we can take a look.  

Salting your food is fine, the body needs sodium, unless your food is unpalatable, you're probably fine. 

Ali - everyone gets tired of eggs - or almost everyone.  Just because eggs are considered "breakfast food"  doesn't mean you should feel limited to having only eggs for breakfast!

Monkey Salad - really good way to be hungry later on in the day, and crave sugar.  At some point you have to say enough to feeding the sugar cravings.

There are tons (and tons) of ideas to eat for breakfast other than eggs. Just google whole 30 breakfasts and you should have plenty of options that you can choose from.

In the beginning this was my go to:

You could mix the eggs up - ie: make a giant casserole during the weekend including eggs, pumpkin, sausage (make your own sausage if you can't find a compliant one) onions and kale.  Cut it up in squares and eat during the week.

Now this breakfast is what I eat nearly every single day. 

Morning scrambler - in a frying pan with some fat add: handful of ground beef (already cooked & seasoned on the weekend), some pre-cooked cubed sweet potatoes, a couple of good handfuls of spinach (cook until wilted), 2 whisked eggs.  Serve with a dollop of homemade mayo. Because I pre cook the ground meat and the sweet potatoes during the weekend this meal comes together in less than 10 minutes.,

Have some soup with shredded chicken

Archived