Last minute meals

Lizza

Hi everyone! 
I'm fairly new to the whole30 (I'm on day 4!) 

I've been doing pretty well, until today. I slept through my alarm (as most 20-somethings sometimes do) and had to rush around all morning trying to get ready to leave for work. I was able to multi-task like a champ and threw together a quick veggie packed breakfast of my version on an omelet (I have yet to master an actual omelet) But I didn't have time to eat it at home, so I threw it into a container and ate it once I got to work. 

Clearly, not my ideal morning.. 

I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for quick breakfasts? Something I can make (preferably in bulk) ahead of time and throw in the fridge, so on days I over sleep I can just grab it and heat it up (or take right to work with me) 

I appreciate the help! 

actually, I think a veggie-packed omelette is a pretty awesome quick meal. Good job eating on template in a rush!

Personally, the key to quick meals is just having stuff ready to go in the fridge. Like last night, if I had had some roasted sweet potato ready, I would have been really happy with dinner, but applegate hot dogs, frozen harricot vert (both steam sauted) with homemade mayo was ok in a pinch.

• Moderators

On the weekend I often make what I call a veggie egg bake, which is about a dozen eggs beaten together with whatever veggies I have on hand and maybe smoked salmon or compliant sausage, then baked in a greased pyrex dish until done. I slice it into pieces and have them in the fridge for mornings I don't have as much time to cook.

• Administrators

One of my new favourites (thanks Ultrarunner!) is sardines in water and Frank's Red Hot.  A little can of those babies has pulled me out of hot water a couple times!  And it's delicious, so.......win win!

• Moderators

One of my new favourites (thanks Ultrarunner!) is sardines in water and Frank's Red Hot.  A little can of those babies has pulled me out of hot water a couple times!  And it's delicious, so.......win win!

My standby emergency meal is a can of olive oil packed sardines with sauerkraut and sometimes a squirt of mustard. Same idea. And delicious!

Thanks so much everyone! This is great! I'm kind of a picky eater slowly emerging into the foodie world, I don't know if I'm QUITE ready to tackle sardines just yet! hahah! But I really appreciate all the suggestions! 

Today, I woke up early and had breakfast with my Dad (which never happens!) So that was nice to be able to share a Whole30 meal with him! 

This week I'm definitely going to make some pre-made grab and gos! 

I like egg muffins (aka crustless mini quiche) for grab and go food. You can pack them with whatever veggies or meat you like and I think they're as good cold as they are hot. They can be made in bulk and even frozen. Also a great way to use up little bits of leftover meat/veggies. And good with hot sauce. Hot sauce is important.

Lately I've been living on compliant Aidell's sausage for my quick protein. I chop up one link and toss it in a bowl then add a handful of pre-cooked diced sweet potatoes. I toss that in the microwave while I wash and cut up some fruit and that's my breakfast. Not perfectly template, but considering that I've gone from NEVER eating breakfast to consistently having a somewhat balanced meal in the morning, I count it as a win. I also like saurkraut or leftover soup with breakfast. Curry is good first thing in the morning.

Re: sardines. I just recently made the jump to trying them and went with the pan-fried sardine recipe from Well Fed 2. They're delicious! Much more mild than I expected (I was expecting something really fishy.) and now I crave the stupid things.

• Moderators

Re: sardines. I just recently made the jump to trying them and went with the pan-fried sardine recipe from Well Fed 2. They're delicious! Much more mild than I expected (I was expecting something really fishy.) and now I crave the stupid things.

That is definitely a winning recipe. Soon you'll be eating them straight from the can like the rest of us (lazy) pros!

That is definitely a winning recipe. Soon you'll be eating them straight from the can like the rest of us (lazy) pros!

I've attempted this once. I had sardines packed in (compliant) marinara and I tossed them in a bowl with diced avocado, salt, and pepper. They were okay-ish. I wanted a thicker marinara on them.

I totally second egg muffins.  I used this recipe as a starting point:

http://www.lesleywgraham.com/2013/06/whole30-egg-muffins.html

Mix up spices, sauces, herbs, and veggies for endless combinations.  I really love that this recipe calls for sweet potato--it gives the muffins a little sweetness and makes me feel more satisfied.

Archived