February 9th

JerryGN

It just occurred to me that's it's already day 4! I know we still have many days to go but for me - the toughest days are behind me! I've always struggled in the first few days always saying "I'l start tomorrow.." So now that I've reached day 4, I'm ready to rock it to day 30. I am feeling a little blah today with a mild headache and just lower energy level than normal. But that's okay - I know the tiger blood is coming. 

How's everyone else doing?

ooooh - tiger blood!  Need me some of that :0)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5 - Still doing very well.  Really enjoying the removal of all the cotton from my brain.  It's so much easier to get through my day!  Noticing a little extra pep and was also able to put more into my workout yesterday.  Not pushing it yet though.  Focus on food is #1 right now.

Good Morning!!! I made it to Day 5!!! I was suffering from a bad head cold (thank you Suzrand for your advice) but after keeping to the Whole 30 plan and resting I have woke up feeling new this morning. My head cold is substantially better, I have lots of energy, and slept great. One of my goals with this Whole 30 is to find some consistency in my works outs but like Jezza68 says I think I will focus on eating healthy and listen to my body. Now that I am over my cold maybe I can hit the gym this weekend with some light workouts. I am wishing everyone another successful day!!!

Happy day 5 everyone! One thing i'm already noticing is that I am sleeping like a damn baby!! It feels amazing!

As we're headed in to the weekend, I have to keep my end goals in sight. Weekends are more difficult for me to eat well and stay on track. We get busy, want to do fun things, and I fall off. But not this weekend! Staying strong!

TGIF and Day 5. This has been much easier than I thought it would be. I have been a bit more tired than usual and have had a dull (minor) headache for the past 24 hours, but other than that - good! I suffer from migraines so this slight headache has been nothing. I think the ease has come from meals centered around the protein and veggies and making sure I am eating enough fat. I felt hungry one afternoon but added some nuts to my lunch the next day and it made the hunger that afternoon non existent. I think the two keys for me have been making sure I am prepared and food is prepped the day prior (which has required several nights of cooking later than I would have wished and last night entailed a 9 p.m. trip to the grocery) and club soda. The fizz in the club soda is very satisfying to me.

I kept dreaming last night about sweets and that I had eaten some of them without paying attention and was crushed that I had to start over :).

I am not saying I am out of the woods yet and I could get slammed with the hangover today or tomorrow but I am feeling pretty committed at this point. I plan to spend some time today preparing my food/shopping list for next week, Saturday doing my shopping and Sunday will be cook and prep day. That is the only way this is going to work for me.

I also have to add that I have a wonderful fiancee who is doing this with me and his support has been a big part of us making it to day 5.

How is everyone else doing this morning?

Like my first W30 in July '14, I definitely felt the fatigue associated with the Hangover phase on days 2-3, but yesterday was much better. I am worried about tonight, as I had made plans to grab dinner with a friend I have not seen in months, but because I was distracted by a family emergency last night, I failed to engage in the process of choosing a restaurant. My friend selected an Italian restaurant and has already made a reservation. I have reviewed the menu and I think the house salad (minus the cheese) fits the criteria because the dressing is red wine vinegar and olive oil. Also, the (stupidly named) Diet Chicken appears safe, as it is a grilled chicken breast with tomatoes, spinach, garlic, and olive oil. I know I will have to ask a few more questions about each item when I arrive, but I think I will be OK. I do not want to mess up because I am already seeing some non-scale victories, the most exciting of which is that my work trousers fit much better, especially through the waist, hip, and back areas. :)

I really commend all of you who are already focusing on portion size and pushing workouts. For me, I feel like this first week is dedicated to detoxing from the sugar demon and focusing on why I am having urges to eat ("am I really hungry?")

I am hoping that next week I can focus more on portion size and maybe some exercise. I am also trying to focus on drinking more water. I know that I don't get even close to the water intake that I should.

It's baby steps for me that I ho will lead to more lasting change. I love this forum and enjoy all of your posts. I check it several times a day and it encourages me to know that I am not alone. Great job everyone!

Checking in now since I have an early start tomorrow getting DS to a sporting event.  Doing great.  Felt off this morning, but some gym time and a sauna (!) turned it around.  Ended up eating lunch an hour late because I really wanted to make meatball soup.  No hunger issues at all and got to enjoy some yummy soup.  I've got my breakfast all packed up for the morning, lunch and dinner also ready to go since I know I'll be exhausted from all the driving and volunteering when we get back.

Love yourselves up with some nourishing Whole30 food tomorrow, everyone :wub:

Hey lise-mari, sorry you're feeling tired, trust that this is a common feeling at the beginning.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your cereal concoction, while technically ingredient-compliant, is not at all the trend we would want to see you going.

Check out our meal planning template which strongly recommends having protein, veggies and fat at all three meals. Your chia pudding (sorry, it's not really cereal as much as pudding) doesn't fit the template at all. Having a breakfast such as this is going to contribute to you lower energy, sugar cravings, premature hunger between meals etc.

Go for protein, veg and fat for breakfast, a quick google search of Whole30 breakfast will provide you with zillions of ideas! :)

Like my first W30 in July '14, I definitely felt the fatigue associated with the Hangover phase on days 2-3, but yesterday was much better. I am worried about tonight, as I had made plans to grab dinner with a friend I have not seen in months, but because I was distracted by a family emergency last night, I failed to engage in the process of choosing a restaurant. My friend selected an Italian restaurant and has already made a reservation. I have reviewed the menu and I think the house salad (minus the cheese) fits the criteria because the dressing is red wine vinegar and olive oil. Also, the (stupidly named) Diet Chicken appears safe, as it is a grilled chicken breast with tomatoes, spinach, garlic, and olive oil. I know I will have to ask a few more questions about each item when I arrive, but I think I will be OK. I do not want to mess up because I am already seeing some non-scale victories, the most exciting of which is that my work trousers fit much better, especially through the waist, hip, and back areas. :)

[quote name="Rona Morrow" post="267069" timestamp="1423756351"

Id love it if you'd like to share your drinking ideas. I was a diet coke addict so having different drink ideas would be a massive help for me.

Anyhoo I hope your all doing well. Love to hear your experiences :)

Grabbed a roasted chicken today (because I read somewhere this might be seen as a paleo alternative to takeaway), asked the woman at the counter what was in it. She said: "Oil, paprika and salt." I explicitly asked if there was sugar, she said no. I even asked about MSGs (which seemed to be a totally normal question to her), she said, negative. Then she added that there might have been some pepper but that was about it. So I took the bird and took it home, where I shared it with my husband. However, I was still concerned. What if? I didn't eat any skin - in case, but I seem totaly paranoid to myself. There is a fine line between being "that guy" and being really nuts. I am having thoughts abourt restarting - in case, which on one hand is never a bad idea, but on the other hand I'm reluctant to do so because I kind of take it seriously. I do fear starting over, if I make such decision of if a real issue comes along. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Day 7 - wow, it just kind of happened!  I really like this plan.  My blood sugar is like a placid lake - ahhhh - such a relief.  I really have not had a single craving, but I realize that might not last.  For me, it's not usually about any single food.  It's more a case of seeking relief from irritation/frustration.  The "Shrink Yourself" program I did a while back helped me realize that if I let go of "trying to control everything" and accept that I can't be perfect in that particular instance or can't do what *I* want right that minute, the need to seek relief through food ebbs away.  Another trick that has helped this week is that when my brain is ready to dive into a fantasy about some food I just saw or heard discribed in the media - I slide my gaze and/or thoughts right on past that situation.  "Keep it movin'.  Nothing to see here!"

I'm also enjoying my bright smiley face chart I have posted at eye level in front of my food prep area in the kitchen :D and clicking the "I did it" button on my Daily Whole30.

So there's some good news.  To avoid seeming like a Pollyanna, I have to say that I don't feel too super this morning.  I drank less than half my water yesterday do to the "no break' nature of my volunteering yesterday and today I have a bit of a headache and my rings are tight :angry: .  I was also very very fatigued when I got back and still feel a little flattened.  Also, not getting the "sleeping like a baby" effect that others are enjoying.  Ok, actually I'm sleeping like MY baby - HA!

Anyway, on to day 7.  Going to make a giant pot of chili.  Cannot express how essentail it was to have a fridge stocked with compliant ready to eat food yesterday.  I was extremely hungry when I got back and knew that if I needed to I could tear into a chicken leg.  Ended up eating my soup as planned, probably because there was no "food panic".

Would love to hear who is else is on Day 7!  Chime in folks.  I think I will start a log over in that section to avoid another novel length post here in the intro section ;)

I made it to day 7 today!!! Yesterday during the day was not a huge challenge until I went out last night to a beautiful Tango show with an Orchestra, Tango dancers, and a Soprano, what a beautiful show. Glad I went in spite of the snow that is attacking Boston again. The only temptation was afterward, they had a reception with free wine and tapas. No one was there to eat or drink (because the snow kept everyone away) and I always feel bad so I tend to eat because people went through all the trouble to make this beautiful food.... But I stayed strong while my boyfriend was reporting back to me how good the food was. Luckily they were serving sparkling water and a veggie platter, so I wasn't without anything.

Starting Day 7 still feeling motivated to do this thing.... I feel less bloated, moody, and lethargic. My pants fit better last night when I went out, I was singing a song in the morning, and I have had energy to do the things I normally would find an excuse not to. I think focusing on these changes over the last week can keep me going.

Lyolya-- please don't be too hard on yourself. It sounds like you took the proper precautions by enquiring about the ingredients of the roasted chicken, roasted chicken with oo and spices is included in the Whole 30, you didn't get the roasted chicken with honey bbq sauce all over it!!! Be proud of yourself for being conscious of your choices.

Jezza68- I definitely get the swollen fingers and bloated feeling when I don't drink enough water, that is part of one of my SMART goals with this Whole 30 to drink more water during the day. I have a similar situation when I am at work I am on my feet and hardly at my computer except for very quickly... I have a dedicated 1 Liter bottle of water that I plan on drinking before 1200 and refilling to drink before 6pm. So far I am doing a great job at it but the trick is making it a habit. I love your idea of a bright smiley face chart!!!! I might have to make one for myself!

Great job everyone and Good luck!!!

I guess I am counting this as day 7 of my whole 35 since I started over when I ate canned tuna with soy. I feel like this has been somewhat easy because I love to cook and have always had meals in mind or prepared. I have eaten enough/balanced meals and have rarely felt hungry. Haven't had many side effects until today I feel like I have a hangover. the other persistent side effect I have had is low energy and tired. My fiancée has really struggled since day four with the "kill all things" effect. My only worked out twice this week because my energy is so low. I am sore from a workout yesterday which is adding to the hangover feeling. I was taking a lot of fish oil to combat soreness but the capsules I was taking had soy so I haven't taken any in a week. I ordered some compliant fish oil and hope to receive that soon. My plan is to hit the gym more this week since I seem to have the good thing under control. Baby steps. Thinking about you all. Check in and let us know how you are doing.

Hi guys, I'm also super excited. 1 week down, three to go! I definitely agree, preparation is key! Made a big pot of chilli with lots of vegetables which has been so helpful. I'm generally in a better mood but I ascribe this more to excitement for what lays ahead. Have you seen this blog outlining a whole 30/Paleo success story: http://www.maydae.com/food/the-whole-30-paleo-losing-47-lbs/

It blows my mind, I can't believe people can change SO much in one year based largely on the food they eat.

Here's to a great week 2!

Day 8 - whole line of smiley faces and a big chek mark at the end of my Whole30 chart for the week.  I can see that chart full of little faces showing me how far I've come!  Feel pretty good this morning despite somehow being transported to the (delete explitive) - ing arctic.  It.  Had.  Better.  Not.  Snow.  Everyone must get out of my house tomorrow!

lise-mari, I also have a giant pot of chili ready to go in the fridge!  It must be the successful girl's advance prep meal of choice :D.  I've also got boiled eggs, salad and vinaigrette.  Going to roast turkey breast tonight  Have an absurdly huge ( but comforting ) amount of frozen veg too.  

Must admit it is hard not to weigh!  I'm really starting to understand how important this rule is though. 

Good morning Day-8ers! For some reason, yesterday was my Kill-All-Things day. I hadn't experienced any irritability until then and hopefully I won't any more. I'm still having trouble sleeping, but im pretty sure that it's entirely because of this kink in my neck. I should probably see a chiropractor. It's hard not to take ibuprofen. Acetaminophen does nothing for me.

It's funny how people are having dreams about eating forbidden food. It sounds a lot like cigarette dreams after quitting. There would be no lighting up, no conscious decision to smoke. I would just suddenly be smoking! And in my dream I would cry, "Nooooo! What have I done?!" I've never been a habit eater. I'm more like a reward eater. And drinker, I suppose. Cigarettes used to be a reward, so I replaced that reward with other rewards. I had seen a lot of people gain a ton of weight after quitting smoking and I was determined not to use food as a crutch, but I realize now that I did. Not in the habitual way that a lot of people do, but as a reward. A couple beers at the end of the day or nice, rich, guilt-free meal at the end of the week. I really noticed that last Friday when my family was having pizza.

I think the hardest thing for me is not having cheese. I'm a Wisconsinite. I grew up believing that cheese is good for me. I still think it is. A piece of string cheese or a serving of cottage cheese has always been a healthy alternative in my family. It's hard for my brain to make sense of why I can't have it.

Sorry for the autobiography. :) Have a great Day 8 everyone!

Archived