February 9th

JerryGN

My Wife and I started on 2/9/15. This is something we've talked about doing for a while now, meaning a life style change. We have two young children and we want to be the best role models we can be from them! This will be hard especially for me, but defiantly something that we are committed on doing.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, a thanks to ladyshanny for the tough love response. SO, officially, I am starting over, with DAY ONE being tomorrow, the 11th which, like day one of the program beginning two days ago, includes a lunch out that I cannot miss. This time I am in a restaurant and will ask many questions, or just order a plain salad. Truthfully, my early mistakes so far have just been from a lack of total focus...using pesto, not checking about the marinade in the take out from the grocery...I am much happier with the results of this program than I am with the process of having to be so vigilant...I even LOVE doing all the veggie prep, etc. that I did last weekend to prepare...well, dusting off those shoes again and stepping up to the starting line. Hope you all don't mind if I stay in this forum, even if I am 2 days behind. The link on Do I Have To Start Over was really helpful.

Keep it up. Fellow voyagers! we can do it!

Hi All!

I just started on the 9th as well. Days 1 and 2 went alright. I've realized that I don't struggle as much with what types of food to eat as much as how much. I just find myself a bit hungry as I'm also trying to watch calories during my Whole30. Are you guys watching (and struggling) with portion control as well? 

2 down, 28 to go!

Day 3 - Yippee!  Doing well!  3 meals, no snacks, protein and veggies at every meal.  No hunger except at bedtime, but not intense and easily ignored.  Might be feeling a little clearer and lighter today - or maybe I just got an hour more sleep :0)  I also "feel" thinner.  LOL.  Going to do my Ripped in 30 DVD again today.  Usually I alternate days, but I'm not in gym mode and it's too cold out to walk or run.  My goal is to advance a level every week so that I've completed all 4 by the end of the 30 days.

I think since I've been getting less sleep than I want lately, I have a low expectation of energy throughout the day.  I've also got a mentality of nap if possible and go to bed as early as possilbe.  This matches up with the DW30 recommendations - so naps for all today!

Day 3 is going well even though I have come down with a bad head cold (no throat lozenges). I have a nice crock pot recipe cooking which will supply me with a few meals so there will be a healthy option in the refrigerator. I have found, like many others here, planning and preparing meals definitely sets you up for successful. Anticipating triggers of unhealthy eating patterns and developing a plan to overcome these obstacles is also really important. Yesterday I was working on my SMART goals worksheet and have written the goals into my calendar to help me stay on track with the Whole 30 and other healthy lifestyle changes I would like to incorporate into my life on this W30 journey. I would enjoy reading other people's goals for this challenge....

Good Luck everyone!!!

Marvar - sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Did you subscribe to the emails from Whole 30? Today's email had several links and discussion to dealing with a cold.

I also agree that I have to have things prepped and ready to go or I am going to derail. I have been up until 11 the last two nights prepping meals. I hope to do this on Sundays in the future, but was out of town for work this weekend and missed a prep day. Last night I made chocolate chili and the night prior I made pork carnitas - both recipes from theclothesmakethegirl.com. I have tried the pork - we are eating that for dinner tonight - it was great, haven't tried the chili. I also grilled salmon and tuna and have had it around to grab for meals. I also made roasted root vegetables and brussell sprouts with naked bacon to have as sides along with a steamed green vegetable such as broccoli or green beans. I have been hungry in the afternoons in the 3-5 time frame. Today I added a handful of cashews to my lunch and that has worked great so far. 

I don't feel the hangover yet and am worried about that setting in. I have felt good so far today except for being a little more tired than usual. How is everyone else faring today?

Almost through day 4.  Yesterday was the hardest day.  I had a lunch appointment and I don't think I ate enough so later in the afternoon a weird headache set in, I was tired and feeling hungry.  I went to my co-worker/friend/coach and she suggested that eat some protein (I had brought some with me to work) and then maybe a piece of fruit afterwards.  That worked.  However, I was asleep before 8:30pm last night.  Between regular life stress of three kiddos and work and this diet change, I was checked out.  But I woke up this morning feeling motivated and ready to take on day 4!  The daily newsletters are helping feel like what I'm experiencing is expected and normal and the best part is, I can feel the difference.  Less puffy in my face and around my tummy.  It's encouragement enough for me to keep on keepin' on!  Good luck everyone.  Love to hear how everyone is getting through the changes.  

Hi all! I woke up a little achey this morning but otherwise felt great. It was a rough day at work today. A portion of our grant funding got trimmed and a coworker is losing her job. All of my co-workers were turning to chocolate therapy and encouraging me to join them, but I stay strong and stuck with the program. Win! The day added more stress and I am really craving a glass of wine but will stay strong and find other ways to unwind. Glad everyone is doing well! Keep it up!

• Administrators

Hi all! I woke up a little achey this morning but otherwise felt great. It was a rough day at work today. A portion of our grant funding got trimmed and a coworker is losing her job. All of my co-workers were turning to chocolate therapy and encouraging me to join them, but I stay strong and stuck with the program. Win! The day added more stress and I am really craving a glass of wine but will stay strong and find other ways to unwind. Glad everyone is doing well! Keep it up!

Good job!  Chocolate and wine won't change the sad fact that your friend got let go.  All it would do is make you feel guilty for giving up on your goals.  Stay strong!!!!  Unwind ideas: bath, make a cup of tea, paint toenails, go for a nice slow stroll, lay on/in your bed in your jammies and read a book, lay on/in your bed in your jammies and watch tv.  Any or all as needed!

Doing pretty well over here. Feeling pretty good so far, enjoying everything that I am eating. Pretty sure I am on the right track with meals, portions and balance. I don't seem to feel as tired, but I have been going to bed earlier. Having an easier time falling asleep and don't seem to be as tired first thing in the morning.

Keeping track of my food log, which I think is helpful to see everything laid out in one place. Anticipating more snow, once again here in Boston and I am dreading it, but staying positive. =)

Hey group, I am bugging out on you and resetting for the 16th..made another goofy mistake today and realize I need to get MORE focused. I actually don't like being that focused on food nd what is in it, but I guess that is part of what we are supposed to be learning. So, I am going back to the books and starting over on the 16th.goos luck to everyone...make it all they way and show me it can be done!!

So I hope day 3 has ended successfully for everyone! I just had a moment of EXTREME willpower I figured I would share, as a gluten free pizza from California Pizza Kitchen was brought home for me by one of my roomates... Literally took every bit of strength not to give in!!!! Glad to hear everyone else is with holding from the chocolate cravings as well! Let's keep it up!!

• Administrators

Hey group, I am bugging out on you and resetting for the 16th..made another goofy mistake today and realize I need to get MORE focused. I actually don't like being that focused on food nd what is in it, but I guess that is part of what we are supposed to be learning. So, I am going back to the books and starting over on the 16th.goos luck to everyone...make it all they way and show me it can be done!!

Solid, respectable choice! We'll still be here when you're ready! :)

Hi Rkrzywda, 

Good job staying strong and not having opted for chocolate/wine therapy! I had a rough day at work, too, yesterday, but I fixed it with a good night sleep. 

I have come to the forum to say that whoa! my sleep improved - thing that didn't happen to me during my first Whole 30. I am working in research actually, and sleep if kind of my most recent field :-).

Re. grants: I feel your pain: us in research are always dependent on these grants, and I will have to submit a proposal for a new one very soon. But we have to hold up to good habits! Wine tastes nice, but is not fixing anything.

Day 4 - Ready to go!  Doing great.  Energy definitely picked up yesterday as well as mental clarity.  A little hungry about 2 hours before lunch and dinner.  Drinking water solved the problem.  Felt a little unsatisfied after dinner (salad, compliant dressing, ground turkey, olives) so I had 2 tsp Artisana Coconut Butter.  That did the trick and I also noticed that I wasn't at all hungry at bedtime. 

Have a successful day, everyone!

Day 4 folks. Hows its all going? Day 1 was okay because we had ribeye steak for tea, it was soon good. Day 2 was blah, I just felt so tired. But yesterday I went shopping. The sugar dragon was on my shoulder the whole way round. I'm also pretty certain they pump bakery sugary smells into the air vents to make you have sugar. Well I didn't give in to the Dragon and I'm pleased to say I'm still going strong. Also I'm starting to enjoy my breakfast (meal one) even if it is meatloaf!! 

I have already noticed that I'm not starving at lunch time which was usual for me. Even if I had had cereal or toast for breakfast. No I felt full and content and was ready for my lunch when I got time to sit and enjoy it at 1pm. 

All that being said, last night I was making one of the people i support his supper. Toast butter & Jam and could of quite easily have put my face in it and ate the lot. But I didn't. Hi 5 to me. 

Id love it if you'd like to share your drinking ideas. I was a diet coke addict so having different drink ideas would be a massive help for me. 

Anyhoo I hope your all doing well. Love to hear your experiences :)

It just occurred to me that's it's already day 4! I know we still have many days to go but for me - the toughest days are behind me! I've always struggled in the first few days always saying "I'l start tomorrow.." So now that I've reached day 4, I'm ready to rock it to day 30. I am feeling a little blah today with a mild headache and just lower energy level than normal. But that's okay - I know the tiger blood is coming. 

How's everyone else doing?

Id love it if you'd like to share your drinking ideas. I was a diet coke addict so having different drink ideas would be a massive help for me. 

Anyhoo I hope your all doing well. Love to hear your experiences :)

Hey Rona! I was a coffee ADDICT until I found out 6 months ago that I was severely allergic to it. I thought my life was over when in fact, I've come to love tea even more than I loved coffee! I have so much fun picking out new teas to try and have tea all throughout the day. Most of them I drink are caffeine free. Also, have you ever tried LaCroix?? There are many different flavors (it's sparking water), a put some fresh fruit in it, and it gives me a little pick-me-up when I need a bit of fizz and flavor!

Hi everyone. I thought of you all yesterday when I started struggling on afternoon of day one. I wanted a diet soda or piece of gum - just something to put in my mouth. I managed to make it through with the help of some Pellegrino. The tough time for me is the later afternoon (3-5 p.m.). I also was feeling very crabby. I am not sure if that was Whole30 or life/work related. I don't feel any hangover yet. Interesting to hear that Kwaller1030 had the hangover phase later than days 2-3. How is day 2 going for everyone in this thread?

Suzrand - I'm feeling a bit of my hangover now today (day 4). ugh! Have you read about the "Kill all the things" stage? Maybe that's what you're experiencing? I have a feeling I'll be approaching that phase in the next couple of days.   :wacko:  Also, have you ever tried LaCroix sparkling water? I have that with some fruit in it every once in a while when i need something more than tea or water! 

How is everyone doing?

Does anyone else have an issue with sugar? I tend to drastically crash when I am without a little bit of sugar. Normally, some fruit, a tiny bit of juice, or a small piece of chocolate gets rid of it. If I ignore it, I get a really bad headache.

For the past few days, I haven't had as such of a sugar "crash" as I've expected, but if also been making sure that I have fruit everyday.

Is this okay to do? I'm kind of confused on how much fruit is allow. I understand the portion size, but what about the occurrence?

For example, this morning I had a few strawberries with breakfast, as a snack later I had a little watermelon and with dinner I had a banana.

I feel like that was over doing it, possibly...but I was also on-the-go all day and didn't have many options.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

How is everyone doing?

Does anyone else have an issue with sugar? I tend to drastically crash when I am without a little bit of sugar. Normally, some fruit, a tiny bit of juice, or a small piece of chocolate gets rid of it. If I ignore it, I get a really bad headache.

For the past few days, I haven't had as such of a sugar "crash" as I've expected, but if also been making sure that I have fruit everyday.

Is this okay to do? I'm kind of confused on how much fruit is allow. I understand the portion size, but what about the occurrence?

For example, this morning I had a few strawberries with breakfast, as a snack later I had a little watermelon and with dinner I had a banana.

I feel like that was over doing it, possibly...but I was also on-the-go all day and didn't have many options.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

The recommendation on fruit is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. Further, the recommendation is to have fruit with or immediately after your main meals only, not as part of a snack. Also, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals, the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.

The recommendation on fruit is 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. Further, the recommendation is to have fruit with or immediately after your main meals only, not as part of a snack. Also, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals, the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.

Great. Thank you! Very helpful. =) 

Day 6 here! I hope you guys don't mind that we, thise who started on February, 8th, post here? We don't have a separate thread, and the majority has opted for starting the program on Monday, not on Sunday :-).

So, I must say that my sleep is way better than it ever was in the past 1.5 years. Me happy.

Archived