substitute suggestions for rice

etstreiff

• Moderators

I use wilted greens with stir-fry dishes. Mounds of fresh kale, spinach, beet greens, turnip greens, etc. wilt nicely and go well with stir-fried onions, ground meat, diced meat, etc., peppers... Strong greens like kale and turnip greens need a splash of vinegar to brighten them up. I use apple cider vinegar most of the time, but also use champagne or rice vinegar. I also add dried cranberries to wilted greens when I can find them sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar. 

• Administrators

I usually do a bed of sauteed cabbage for stir fries. I will usually make sure my stirfry is a bit spicier when I use cabbage as the base as slow cooked cabbage can caramalize a bit and get slightly sweet tasting.

I've also used cauli rice and mashed cauli (mashed when I'm feeling lazy or pressed for time).

• 2 weeks later...

I also like cauli-rice a lot (my son actually thought it was cous cous!) and have recently discovered that cabbage cut into longish strips and lightly steamed is a wonderful substitute for noodles (with spaghetti sauce, etc.) - it would probably be good with stir-fry too.

• Administrators

I also like cauli-rice a lot (my son actually thought it was cous cous!) and have recently discovered that cabbage cut into longish strips and lightly steamed is a wonderful substitute for noodles (with spaghetti sauce, etc.) - it would probably be good with stir-fry too.

We do this a lot with cabbage. Sliced red cabbage and the green beans from Costco, sauteed and then tossed in sesame oil topped with ground pork in Sunshine Sauce is a favourite "stirfry" around our house!

• 2 weeks later...

I love love love love brocoslaw- its shredded carrots and broccoli that when you steam then fry up is a lot like yakisoba noodles. Be careful with this not to add any more broccoli because it is easy to "stink up". I add a lot of green onions and bean sprouts for texture too.

Archived