Day 23 and sick twice on the Whole30. What is going on!!??

I was mostly paleo before I started the Whole30 and mostly cutting off dairy and sugar this time around. 

I didn't have the carb flu reactions like most people talk about. And I didn't have that much sugar before hand so not that bad of headaches and really easy out of the gate.

I am SO FRUSTRATED though because I have been sick twice so far on my Whole30! It starts with a tickle at the back of the throat that turns into a weird sinus thing with my ears draining or something. Then it's like the stuff at the back of my throat decides to start floating out and I get a case of the sniffles and my nose is draining NON STOP. I keep sneezing a lot too. My nose is raw from all the tissues right now. TWICE this happened to me. The first time was at the beginning of my Whole30 and also was coordinated with my monthly cycle and now it's towards the end and same thing.. monthly cycle comes in like a punch to the stomach and then SICK instantly as well. 

Does anyone know what is going on? I NEVER got sick before this. I usually eat really healthy with salads and mostly gluten free (ever since I cut out grains I can't really handle eating them anymore). I am a little worried as this is my second time and wondering if I'm doing something to cause this lowering of the immune system. 

It just sucks so much to be sick when you are eating so healthy and then to have such a horrible cycle with massive pains. Anyone else have something like this happen to them? 

It might not be directly related to Whole30. I fell sick myself last week, with much the same symptoms as you. And, like you, I rarely get sick. I don't recall having had as much as a cold in years. Which suggests to me that the bug going around is so potent that it got me -- and maybe you.

If Whole30 has anything to do with it, it may be as you thought: something about the program lowered your immunity. Perhaps inflammation, or the carb flu, or GI issues -- plus the attendant stress -- brought down your defenses, allowing the bug to catch hold. In my case, I had a recurrence of acid reflux prior to getting sick (too much chili), and I think it made me weak enough for the bug to overwhelm me.

Anyway, that's my amateur, armchair diagnosis. If it gets worse, you should, of course, see an actual medical professional.

Hope you get well soon!

The exact same thing happened to me TWICE!! I also eat organic, whole foods. I cut out grains and most sugars so I thought whole 30 would be a breeze. When I tried it last year, I got a mean sinus infection and had to quit at about day 19. Then in January I tried again with the same results, sinus infections that I still can't shake. I made it to day 21 and had to quit. I felt worse than before ever starting. I've done tons of research and could find no one but you who had this issue! I'm wondering if I have leaky gut syndrome or some other gut issue that is causing my immune system to shut down. I have taken lots of antibiotics in the last several years but had been much better since starting my clean eating journey last year. I wish someone could give me answers about this.

• Administrators

That's so strange.  I can't think of any scenario where eating healthy, whole foods would give you a sinus infection...twice.  I can guess, based on a family member who gets the sinus issues, is that if she ever gets a cold or allergies it inevitably ends up in her sinuses as an infection.  It's like that is a weak spot in her body and maybe yours too?  

As Glenn mentioned above, depending on your diet coming into W30 and depending on the time of year (January is a terrible time for dry sinus cavities along with LOTS of bugs floating around) it's possible that it's just a crappy coincidence.

I spent most of my first w30 sick. My eating was ok going into it, but I was dealing with chronic sleep deprivation (daughter didn't sleep more than an hour till she was 18 mos old, I was pretty much agoraphobic and overwhelmed by everything, major adrenal fatigue).

I quit coffee during that whole and I could barely stand up for the first week, then a bad cold or gastro flu, major cramps like I hadn't had for a normal period since high school. I got sick again somewhere in there.

I think maybe it's just your body working through whatever it needs to work through. Not that it has agency but there is a process of crud cleaning.

Leaky gut would definitely apply to me. I have had long stretches of healthy eating in my adult life, but I don't even know how I sustained myself (besides way too much caffeine) when my two non-sleepers were babies.

It's hard when you feel like you should feel great. But sometimes it takes a little longer till you work through the crud.

Archived