Chicken and Beef Stocks

Katquinn

Hey everyone!

Just double checking my chicken and beef stocks.

Seems the chicken stock is compliant: Chicken Stock, Dehydrated chicken, natural flavoring, Chicken fat

Beef seems more complicated: Water, Beef Stock Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract, Garlic powder, Gelatin (Beef), Torula Yeast, Maltodextrin (Potato)

Also, here are some other ingredients I have been worried about in other items I've purchased: Lactic acid, Sodium Alginate, Calcium chloride, potassium sorbate.

Does anything seem like I should avoid it?

I'm on day 10 and can't fathom messing this up at this point. I was mostly worried about the gelatin in the beef stock. Please let me know, thanks!

gelatin is ok. Actually, I don't see anything here that is off-plan. EDIT: Malodextrin is not permitted.

That said, it does seem like a shame to be consuming this stuff when you can easily make bone broth that is off the charts in nutrition (and so much better tasting as well). Why not give it a try?

• Moderators

Hey everyone!

Just double checking my chicken and beef stocks.

Seems the chicken stock is compliant: Chicken Stock, Dehydrated chicken, natural flavoring, Chicken fat

Beef seems more complicated: Water, Beef Stock Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract, Garlic powder, Gelatin (Beef), Torula Yeast, Maltodextrin (Potato)

Also, here are some other ingredients I have been worried about in other items I've purchased: Lactic acid, Sodium Alginate, Calcium chloride, potassium sorbate.

Does anything seem like I should avoid it?

I'm on day 10 and can't fathom messing this up at this point. I was mostly worried about the gelatin in the beef stock. Please let me know, thanks!

Maltodextrin is not ok. It is a sweetener.

Well natural could have sugar, gluten, soy.. could be many offenders. Best to call the company to find out.

I make my bone broth whenver I can.

Get your crock pot out. Use your favorite recipe for a whole chicken. Bam. Dinner.
Pick off the remaining chicken and store in fridge. Bam. Meals for a couple of days.

Now leave that carcaus in the crockpot, with its juices. Add an onion, celery, carrots and whatever else you want. Fill with water and splash with ACV (helps break down the bone)

I'll leave in the crock pot on lowest setting anywhere from 24 hours to almost 48..lol (kind of reminds me of restarting the dryer if I leave the clothes too long)
ahem anyways.
I then turn off and let cool for a moment and strain.
Take the broth and fill the tall WIDE MOUTH jars. These are best to freeze.
And there you go. Store in fridge or freezer (They freeze well)

Well natural could have sugar, gluten, soy.. could be many offenders. Best to call the company to find out.

I think (don't quote me on this) that manufactors are required to declare sugar/sweeteners and can't hide it under "natural flavoring." Same for gluten and soy. Or if they do hide those under "natural flavors" then there would still have to be the allergen statement of "contains soy" or "contains gluten" and that would be a big red flag to the avoid the product.

• 1 month later...

I am not Miss Mary but, you can take your bones, what ever veggies you would like to add--I like to add yellow/brown onions with the skins still on, carrots, celery, whole garlic cloves, crimini mushrooms and shitaki mushroom stems if I have them, put them in a pot or a crock pot with enough water to cover the bones and veg and add a few glugs of apple cider vinegar. The vinegar is to help leach the minerals out of the bones as the stock cooks. I never taste the vinegar in the finished product. Bring to a boil, skim the foam that rises to the top and then turn down to low/simmer and let it slowly bubble away. You don't want a hard boil, just a few slow bubbles breaking the surface. Chicken can go as long as 24 hours, beef as long as 72, just keep topping off the liquid with additional water (I will heat water before I add to keep the temperature constant). You can also do bone broth in a pressure cooker in 2 hours if you have access to one. 

I do like to brown my bones and veg at 350 for an hour before I make broth to add more flavor and depth to the broth, and I also add a few peppercorns 8-1 tsp depending on how much I am making to the broth after skimming the foam along with a few sprigs of thyme if I am making chicken/turkey bone broth. With beef, you can get knuckles, shanks, leg bone, just make sure it is broken or can be broken so you can get the marrow out. I also like to add some bones with meat still on them for more flavor. Hope that helps~!

The official "miss mary" recipe is similar. I do chicken (bones, a little skin and meat left on is good), a few glugs of apple cider vinegar, cover with water and let that go in the crock pot for at least 24 hours--up to 48. I add veggies for the last 8 hours or so only (usually onions and garlic--skin and all, onions cut into big chunks). I find a longer simmer is great to get the gelatin out of the chicken bones but veggies go bitter if you leave them that long. Play with the veggies you add for different flavor. Carrots add a sweet note, mushrooms would be rich and earthy, etc.

Oh and if you plan on drinking it straight, season it well with sea salt. --just add sea salt bit by bit and keep tasting and adding until it tastes really good. If you want it for recipes you can skip this and season as you cook but I find it really needs salt to be palatable on it's own (and real salt is good for you!)

Archived