Mexican Food recipe recs?

Boxedwine

Hi there,

I'm on Day 8 and haven't really experienced too many cravings, one thing that I'm desperately missing is Mexican food (and pho, but that's a whole other topic). There is a taco truck near my house that I used to frequent at least once a week. While I don't want to continue the habit when I get off the Whole30, but will likely keep it as an occasional indulgence, I'm looking for any recommendations of recipes for any of the following:

Tamales (chicken or pork) 

Burritos (without all the good stuff - has anyone found anything that comes close? This one might be a lost cause.)

Chicken Mole (I found one slow cooker recipe - any others?)

Any other ideas to satisfy the craving? Something I can put sauce on? 

I'm also not a great chef. Part of the reason I like the Whole30 is that I don't have to be. I can just saute up some veggies and cook meat like I always have and don't have to worry about the rest. 

Thanks!

There's really not anything that can come close to the real thing without heading into Burrito SWYPO-Land. These foods appear to be triggers, so run away from them and close the recipe books.  For others it's Italian or Chinese.   Just let these items ride for 22 more days.  Then you can go back to the Taco Truck.  If you make a facsimile, you'll still be hankering for the Taco Truck. I'd probably run down the street and lick the tires for the wonderful aromas.

I don't think there is anything that will come close to a good, authentic, tamale!  That's definitely a lost cause.  I used romaine as a base for shredded pork, topped with kraut and avocado, with some diced onion, it was delicious.  You can easily recreate flavors with the right spice blends and add that to your veggie/meat stir fry.  You can top meat with diced tomatillo, chile, onion and cilantro for a fiesta feeling.  Fresh lime as well.  Don't think of it as trying to recreate it in a compliant format, but think about what is it that you love about the food, what flavor combinations speak to you, and experiment with creating something new that visits those flavor profiles....unless what you love about it is the cheese, then just wait  ;)

By the way, I love your name, every time I see it pop up I giggle 

The chicken mole recipe I have is paleo, but isn't whole30 compliant as it has chocolate in it but it would be okay I guess for post whole30, and it's easy to make.

That said, I was reading the thread on the chocolate chilli and one of the posters (sorry, I can't recall who...) said that it was reminiscant of chicken mole so that might be worth a try for now? I plan on trying it out this weekend - linky below....  B)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3133-well-feds-chocolate-chili/

• Administrators

The chicken mole recipe I have is paleo, but isn't whole30 compliant as it has chocolate in it but it would be okay I guess for post whole30, and it's easy to make.

That said, I was reading the thread on the chocolate chilli and one of the posters (sorry, I can't recall who...) said that it was reminiscant of chicken mole so that might be worth a try for now? I plan on trying it out this weekend - linky below....  B)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3133-well-feds-chocolate-chili/

Straight cocoa isn't outlawed on Whole30 if you are using it as a spice.  So if your chicken mole recipe has cocoa in it as the only ingredient in question, it could be alright. Do you have a link to that recipe?

Straight cocoa isn't outlawed on Whole30 if you are using it as a spice.  So if your chicken mole recipe has cocoa in it as the only ingredient in question, it could be alright. Do you have a link to that recipe?

Yeah, but the recipe I have has *actual* chocolate in it :( 

Mind you, while goggling to see where it originated from (I have it typed out in 'notes' on my iPad) I found this one which looks similar but compliant.... (Personally I'd probably leave out the cabbage & serve with something else, but that's just me)

http://paleomg.com/paleo-chicken-mole/

• Moderators

When I crave Mexican I grill flank steak seasoned with chili powder, garlic, lime, plenty of cumin, and eat it sliced over crisp greens, jicama, red onion with some homemade guac and maybe some salsa or pico de gallo. It's better for this native Texan than a burrito or anything I could get in a restaurant around these parts.

And here's a recipe for compliant faux pho.

Archived