Another cycle change question

Alexian28

I've learned my whole life that the luteal phase doesn't really change that much. I started whole30 a month ago to change my eating habits and nourish my body in a healthy way (and lose a few lb!) before we try for our second. A little over a week into my whole30, I started my period 5 days early, giving me a luteal phase of 7 days. This month, same thing, 7 days. Apparently this is my new norm. How am I supposed to believe that doing whole30, a great healthy way of eating, caused me to become infertile?

• Moderators

My cycles were all over the place when I started Whole30. Two years later of sticking with it--strictly doing Wholes throughout, and then off roading somewhat in between them--and they're smooth sailing. I guess what I'm saying is two months does not make forever. I wouldn't say you've been rendered infertile by any means! What's more likely is your body is shifting and changing and will find an optimal place to settle with time and consistent optimal habits.

Also keep in mind that spring has arrived and I don't know why but the arrival of spring always throws my timing off.  I am normally every 26 days like clockwork (never taken BC) but spring will make it always early - think 20 or 21 days.

And every single time I do a whole 30 (I am paleo most of the time - sugar, special meals, and chocolate are allowed) it throws my cycle off by a little bit.  Either 1 - 2 days early or 1 - 2 days late. (Yes - sugar really messes with hormones)

As Lady M states - 2 months does not make your entire lifetime - so do be patient as your body adjusts

How are you tracking ovulation and your luteal phase? For the record, not everyone ovulates on day 14 of their cycle. The 28 day cycle model is not so much a picture of the "average" cycle, but is convenient teaching tool because it divides up the cycle into four weeks and makes it easier to discuss each part of the cycle as its own week. Changes in menstrual cycle length are usually tied to you ovulating earlier or later than expected OR not ovulating at all and experiencing withdrawal bleeding as opposed to a true menstrual period. (A menstrual period is defined as bleeding which occurs after ovulation so if you haven't ovulated, you're experiencing withdrawal or breakthrough bleeding and a not a menstruation. It's not a distinction that most people care about, but it's an important distinction in some contexts.)

You're correct in that changes in your luteal phase are very rare, but they are possible depending on how your hormones have changed. For example, a short luteal phase is caused by insufficient progesterone. If you can correct that, then you might seen the luteal phase lengthen a bit.

My first Whole30, I had a normal cycle and then 2 weeks after I was done, I bled for 8 days straight. I figure it was the results of being on a whole 30. I will tell you that my husband and I tried for 4 years to get pregnant, and we even did 4 iui's, only to be told that a steer had a better chance than my husband getting me pregnant--his count/motility was really low (TMI). Time went on, and 2 years later I had discovered Primal. We did Primal FAITHFULLY for 3 months and boom! we were expecting! after trying for 6 years total. Don't give up, try not to stress (I know--easier said than done) and your body will sort itself out. You could take red clover tea, since it is reported to help with your cycles and ovulation. 

Archived