Simply Fruit Orange Marmalade/ Easter Dinner

allimcc912

I am making Easter dinner for my family, and found an excellent recipe made with fresh ham (no sneaky brown sugar there!). For those who want to check it out: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Roasted-Fresh-Ham-with-Orange-Glaze-21031525

The recipe itself doesn't have any added sugar, but it does call for orange marmalade. I know that orange marmalade typically has a ton of sugar, but Smucker's offers a "Simply Fruit" variety that doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or sugar in their ingredients list:

FRUIT SYRUP, ORANGE PEEL, ORANGE JUICE, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, FRUIT PECTIN, NATURAL ORANGE FLAVOR.

Source: https://www.smuckers.com/products/fruit-spreads/simply-fruit/simply-fruit-orange-marmalade-spreadable-fruit-88

Are all of these ingredients compliant? I'm not quite sure what "fruit syrup" means, but I think everything else looks alright. Additionally, since this is a glaze going on a ham, I don't feel like this is SWYPO—I'm not planning on eating the marmalade as a sweet treat or anything. 

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks!

Hmm, I'm definitely intrigued because as far as I know all traditional Easter hams are cured and/or injected with lots of non compliant additions. Does the the-meathook actually cure their ham without using any sugar? Because that would be awesome and incredibly rare.

FYI - some interesting reading about holiday hams and how to shop for one courtesy the fine folks at serious eats.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-food-lab-how-to-pick-and-cook-a-holiday-h.html

The Meat Hook is pretty much the best. If you're ever in NYC, you should wander over the Williamsburg and see what they do—it's pretty remarkable.

They offer two types of ham for the holidays: their house ham, which is made in a brine that contains brown sugar and two or three other ingredients, and a fresh ham, which is just a big ol' slab of pork. If I weren't in the middle of my Whole30, I would likely buy the house ham, because I really trust my butchers, but I am getting the fresh ham and preparing it from scratch using the Saveur recipe at the very top. (When you preorder, they even warn you that the meat hasn't been prepared in any way, which is exactly what I want!)

I'm also going to make the orange marmalade from scratch and use compliant apple juice as a sweetener. I like surmounting culinary challenges.  :D

"Fresh ham" indicates the cut of meat that would become ham, but has not yet been cured or smoked. It's still a completely raw hunk of meat and comes as a bit of a shock to folks who aren't familar with the term "fresh ham."

• Administrators

As far as I'm concerned this is a pretty gray area.  Fruit juice concentrates are, of course, highly concentrated fruit juice that are used to sweeten things.  Can you use actual fruit juice to sweeten a salad dressing?  Yes.  Would the Whole30 police come to your house if you scooped a bit of frozen orange juice concentrate off the container in the freezer because you didn't have fresh OJ? Probably not.

Based on reading the recipe, it would appear that the marmelade is definitely just a glaze and not a dipping sauce or a side dish so I would say she could probably make this dish with the product she found online and reasonably expect it to be Whole30 compliant.  If the marmalade is being spread on apple slices or eaten from the jar with a spoon, I would say absolutely not.

Any other mod is free to override me on this one....it's pretty gray as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that the recipe could be a gray area, but now we're talking two different questions: regarding compliance of the recipe and of the marmalade.

Even the marmalade package says "Sweetened with..." so I personally wouldn't call it "unsweetened". And googling "fruit syrup" nets this: "Fruit syrups or fruit molasses are concentrated fruit juices used as sweeteners". To me, fruit syrup=fruit juice concentrate.

As for the recipe and using the marmalade in it, I wouldn't do it but that's just me :) and I won't show up at your house if you do. Promise. :)

• Administrators

I agree that the recipe could be a gray area, but now we're talking two different questions: regarding compliance of the recipe and of the marmalade.

Sort of.  If the marmalade is deemed non compliant then anything that was made with it would be so as well.

I also personally would not toe this line during a Whole30.  :)

It is a bit of a gray area, which, I know if I choose to use it, would have me hemming and hawing for days afterwards about if I really should've eaten it or not.

You could always save it for after whole30 for a nice Sunday dinner and then find a different way to prepare a fresh ham or choose a different main meat dish. My in-laws cook really nice steaks for almost every holiday, no complaints from me on that.

Thanks for all of your feedback; I definitely appreciate it. I am going to go ahead and make this recipe—I'm purposefully cooking Easter dinner for my family this year in my tiny New York apartment so that I can create a fully-compliant meal for myself. I know it's a grey area, but it's one I'm willing to toe in favor of family and feasibility.  :)

Archived