Starting tomorrow! Should I eliminate fruit?

sineaddg

Hi,

I'm a nineteen year old girl starting the whole 30 tomorrow. I'm already lean, but I'd like to get rid of some nasty sugar cravings I have almost daily. Even though I no longer eat refined sugar I'm still drawn to fruit of all types, especially dried fruit and often overeat it. This usually happens later in the day, making me anxious, restless and leaving me with a throbbing headache.

Just wondering if I should cut fruit all together as some other whole 30 poster's have said that the fructose in fruit is very addictive. I certainly find it addictive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Sinead

P.S.

I can't find any grassfed meat in my area. Will hormone and antibiotic free suffice?

Just read you post and I don't what the whole30 people feel but a few months ago my daughter who is your age gave up all sugar

Like you, she ate what she thought was a healthy diet and all she really cut out was juice and tomato sauce

She researched and found there was sugar in lots of things ...like pasta sauce

Anyway for about six weeks she cut everything out

What I have been reading on sugar supports that.they suggest cutting out fruit too for about a month then slowly start fruit

Anyway she feels fantastic

Her skin is clearer and her moods are great.....said by her mother

good luck

• Moderators

It sounds like you have found fruit to be difficult to eat in moderation, so cutting it out completely during your Whole30 sounds like a good idea. There is nothing in fruit that you can't get more of in veggies, so you don't suffer nutritionally to cut fruit. Eliminate fruit and enjoy better health this coming month!

Have you heard of the 21 day sugar detox that the Balanced Bites lady does? Doing something like that (or incorporating that concept into your Whole30) might be really beneficial for you. It involves removing almost all sugar - even that in fruit and starchy vegetables.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I'm so glad it's working for your daughter, Sarah G. Years ago, when I stopped comsuming white sugar/honey etc., I was able to rid myself of the most intense cravings for sugar. So I'm much better now than I was years ago. I still have a ways to go though.

I will take you all up on your suggestions and fully eliminate fruit and starchy vegetables this month. I've had a few day ones in a row because each day I try I've allowed myself fruit and go completely overboard. So let tomorrow be the day!

Again, thank you.

-Sinead

Good luck

I gave up sugar including fruit about two months before I started the whole30

I didn't find it too had but I did eat a lot of bread and crackers and nuts so when I then started the whole 30 and gave up all grains I struggled

It only lasted about a week and then I started to feel fantastic

• 1 month later...

I cut out sweet potatoes for 3 years on the Paleo Diet before doing the Whole 30. I have actually added them back in during my Whole 30.

I had a transition week before I started my Whole 30 where I began to cut out snacks and caffeine and stevia and Truvia. The day I started my Whole 30, I was able to go to 3-4 meals a day and no snacks or sweeteners or caffeine. I exercise most days and time my meals around my workouts. I love fruit, and have eliminated it for up to 3 weeks in the past. I find I become really constipated when I don't eat fruit, so I allow myself 2 servings per day with meals, usually before 2 pm. When I think about eating more fruit, I plan what I get to have tomorrow and move on to something else. By staying off stevia, Truvia, and honey, I am not activating the pleasure center in my brain to crave sweets and it's working well for me.

Seemed like such a small and simple thing but getting rid of the one teeny tiny packet of stevia in my morning coffee has made the biggest difference of all. I still crave it, it's only been just over two weeks, but it has changed the rest of my day.

Archived