Hospital - Need a Juice & Toast replacement

I'm about to go into hospital and they're recommending juice and toast as the last thing I eat before surgery (later, nil by mouth).

I'm not on a W30 right now, so just trying to do the best I can to prep for surgery and recovery.

I know plenty of paleo and whole30 breakfasts, but in this case I'm looking for something that's also quick to digest, high energy and light (possibly lower fat?) as one of the reasons for this recommendation is an empty stomach for the general anesthetic/operation (lowers risks).

Although I don't normally have it, juice I am fine with (going with blood orange juice), but not the toast part. 

Would a banana be at all suitable? It's all fruit then, but I know it won't be a template meal.

I have some paleo granola (Paleo Forage) but not sure it will be digested enough as it's got plenty of nuts and seeds.

Potato?

I'm a bit stumped, I my brain is struggling to think outside the template now :)

• Administrators

WHen people are sick we recommend plain chicken breast and sweet potato, I can't imagine a few bites of that would hurt? Toast is fine...I guess....if you're alright with it. If it was me that would be a no-go or I'd be going into surgery with a major stomach ache. Can you ask what they would recommend for someone who cannot eat bread? You can't be the first person that they have come across that doesn't eat wheat products?

• Moderators

You might just drink water. As a fat-adapted person, you can go longer without eating than a sugar-burner. Juice and toast are not really nourishing, so you would not be missing anything meaningful by staying with water. 

Whenever the babies and children are sick in my family...in the family tradition, we give them mashed potatoes for their stomach.  My suggestion is baked potatoes and water before you go in....I wouldn't eat the skins.   I can't think of why sugary juice would help you but I know that having mashed or baked potatoes in your belly may prevent nausea on the other end of surgery.

Archived