loose skin vs belly fat, anyone know?

baltomom86

Loose skin is caused by constant dieting and rebound weight gain.   Dieting away/regaining the same 10 lbs over the course of a lifetime will cause more belly fat and loose skin than a Shar-pei dog.

Everytime 10 is lost in 30 days time and regained over the next 30 days, those pounds come back as fat and not lean muscle mass.   This is why the Whole 30 moderators tell everyone to take it slowly.   If you don't edge your way down slowly, you'll be left with loose skin.   The skin only has so much elasticity.   When someone with WLS (weight loss surgery) loses 100 lbs in a year's time, there's an incredible amount of loose skin that requires plastic surgery.   

The only way to avoid loose skin is to quit dieting altogether.    Losing quickly removes 2/10ths fat and about 8/10ths lean muscle mass when you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks time.  Quick fix weight loss leaves an individual with skinny fat.

Strength training, using weights and building up the muscles underneath the skin as you go...is the only way to stop  the Shar-pei dog effect.   Not only are you preserving the elasticity of your belly but on your face, arms, legs, neck and hiney. 

I'd also add that eating whole30 is probably the best way to improve the elasticity of your skin to prevent the whole loose skin thing. Avocadoes, oily fish, fruit & veg high in antioxidants & vitamin A, green tea, and plenty of water all work towards improving your skin & overall complexion.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you've been pregnant, you're likely to have some loose skin. (I was pregnant with twins, so LOOSE SKIN.) Pregnancy can also cause the abs to separate, and the only fix for that is surgery.

Most of us, if we're over like 12 years old and have actually lived our lives rather than starving ourselves, don't have flat bellies. And once we've been pregnant, the kind of flat belly the media tells us we should have is absolutely unrealistic for about 98 1/2% of us. That doesn't mean we have unhealthy fat around our intestines or something like that, it just means we've been alive on the planet for longer than two minutes and we've given birth to more people who are now alive on the planet.

It's a good thing.

Yes. I have two kids, aged 4 and 2. I have lost some weight on W30 but I have this just jelly like/cellulite stuff around my abs that just won't budge. People tell me to lose weight when I mention it, but I already don't weigh all that much -5"5, 132 lbs. Obviously I could lose weight without it being dangerous but I feel like it will require me bring OCD about exercise and doing a W60, which isn't really something I'm interested in at present.

Who knows... I am zen about the bod pretty much, but once in awhile I mentally copy and paste Janet Jackson's abs on my body and sigh. Lol.

My kids are eleven and I'm a classical singer (think really strong abs). I have cellulite, jelly, stretch marks, etc.

Janet Jackson ain't done nothin' for you lately.

You're absolutely fine, and completely normal, and your belly looks beautiful, and your weight is fantastic.

Really.

Ps i have never yo-yoed in weight and I didn't gain that much with either pregnancy (about 25 lbs). I also don't have rectus diastus.

Okey Dokey, so we're not talking with someone who's released 50-100 lbs.   My comment does not apply to you but maybe someone who is in the process of edging their way down slowly.   Diet is a four-letter word.

Ok, if this is your issue (and we all have one!) then the only thing you can do is work on changing your body fat composition, and remember that abs are made in the kitchen (think 'whole30'!!)..... Work on building muscle - you don't have to be obsessive, you just have to knock the cardio on the head and focus on strength training. Muscle has a faster resting metabolic rate than fat, and so the more you have of it the more fat you will burn.

You might not get the six pack, but it will start to look less 'jelly like'  :)

It should be noted that women naturally hold on to a little more fat round their middle to protect their reproductive organs (particularly the older you get so as to try & prolong your reproductive years) so it's much harder for a women to get that *really* toned look - and I'd comment that the women (fitness competitors) that I know that have a (temporary) six pack all have a miserable diet, and they are *very* prone to rebound weight - it's not a good way to be.

Everything that's been said already I agree with. As a group fitness instructor I know the real struggle here. But I will say the women I know who have figure competitor bodies have to do some very serious work in the kitchen and gym to maintain those bodies and not all of it is healthy. I'm still a bit overweight myself but as I've consistently cleaned up my food and worked on strength training I see things starting to firm up. Will I ever have a flat belly? Possibly not. Can I lift a heavy weight above my head, squat a heavy bar, and hold a plank for a reasonable amount of time for a woman my weight? Absolutely. I think chasing fitness goals like that will improve the look of your body without you even having to think about it. 

The notion that women need flat bellies to be beautiful is a complete lie. The notion that women need flat bellies to demonstrate health and fitness is a complete lie.

Unless you are pre-pubescent and you picked your parents very carefully, if you are a woman, you won't have a flat belly.

It's a lie. Don't ever ever believe it is A Thing Women Should/Could Have.

Archived