White Wine Vinegar - Legal?

lbres

On your list of approved foods I see "red wine vinegar"... curious since no wine is allowed on the Whole30 program, but perhaps it's not really made from red wine?

So, is white wine vinegar also okay?

Thanks! Day 2.5-er  :)

• Moderators

Go back and read the rules of the Whole30 Program again. The answer to your question is answered specifically.

http://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

For additional Can I Have? questions, review http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

• 8 months later...

Sometimes people are shopping and its easier to type
"can I have <wtf ever it is here> whole30" and search rather than scrolling around  a PDF file, on a small phone.
If you don't want to answer questions I am confused on why you're here, as a mod no less.

From their rules: Most forms of vinegar, including white , balsamic, apple cider, red white and rice, are allowed during your whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegar with added sugar, or malt vinegar which generally contains gluten

vinegar.jpg

• Moderators

On your list of approved foods I see "red wine vinegar"... curious since no wine is allowed on the Whole30 program, but perhaps it's not really made from red wine?

So, is white wine vinegar also okay?

Thanks! Day 2.5-er  :)

The alcohol in vinegar is consumed by the fermentation process and therefore is not actually 'wine', which is why it's okay on the program.

As the link Tom posted mentioned, vinegars are okay as long as there is no added sugar or sulfites and malt vinegar is out as it generally contains gluten.

No need to get so snarky with the moderator. If you read the pinned post to google before you ask and the rules of the program, you wouldn't have to ask these questions. Moderators are very helpful to all of us and should be thanked for the hours they put into helping us, not chastised.

• Moderators

i can't find a balsamic vinegar that doesn't have sugar.  checked all of them at whole foods...  anyone know of one?  thanks!!   :)

Added sugar, in the ingredients list? Or grams of sugar in the nutrition info? If it's just grams of sugar in the nutrition info, but the ingredients list doesn't contain anything off plan, you're good -- many, many foods have naturally occurring sugars, and those are fine for Whole30 purposes.

Aside from that, I typically buy my vinegar at my local grocery store. I opt for an organic one, just because my understanding is that those cannot have added sulfites, only naturally occurring ones, and they seem less likely to contain caramel color (which is a sugar). There's typically a couple of different organic ones to pick from at my grocery store. 

Archived