So much cooking fat

Schnauzy

It is my first day on the whole30 and I prepped my meal yesterday. I made a pound of roasted veggies and 10 oz of seared chicken - I put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in EACH dish (total of 4 tb). I felt like this was a lot but please correct me if I'm wrong. What is the appropriate amount of cooking fat we should have in one meal? 

Thank you 

Lots.

When I use olive oil I pour freely - I honestly couldn't even guess how many table spoons I use - I lived in Greece for many years where Olive Oil is a food of the Gods  :P 

When I roast veggies in large oven dishes I use a mix of approx two table spoons of ghee, & two table spoons of coconut oil.

If I'm cooking a whole chicken I'll sear it in a heaped table spoon of coconut oil & then usually add a half a tin of coconut milk to the crock pot along with any coconut oil that's left in the pan.

On top of all that fat I'll eat a handful of olives, or a half an avocado with my meal.

Most of the oil you use for cooking will stay in the pan so don't panic, it's hard to over-do it - although this *may* be where one of the mods will come along and tell me otherwise....!!  :o  :blink:

• Administrators

Most of the oil you use for cooking will stay in the pan so don't panic, it's hard to over-do it - although this *may* be where one of the mods will come along and tell me otherwise....!!  :o  :blink:

No, you're right, it's hard to over do it.  Really.

When I roast veggies I free pour the oil into the bowl/bag and give the veggies a toss. When I do sautee in the mornings I use a blop of lard.  Check in with yourself, how the meal tasted, was it too greasy, did it last you about 4-5 hours? 

Your body needs fat.  Go ahead.  

No, you're right, it's hard to over do it.  Really.

When I roast veggies I free pour the oil into the bowl/bag and give the veggies a toss. When I do sautee in the mornings I use a blop of lard.  Check in with yourself, how the meal tasted, was it too greasy, did it last you about 4-5 hours? 

Your body needs fat.  Go ahead.  

oh okay i guess i was just worried about all the calories added from the fat since 1 tablespoon is about 120 calories! If we don't have much fat in the protein or veggies, do we basically add fat by eating nuts or an avocado? 

thanks all for your reply. i really appreciate it 

• Administrators

Don't worry about calories.  Your body processes the caloric load of some good fat mixed with healthy whole protein and a raft of veggies much differently than it does the same caloric load of fat in doritos or a brownie.  

We don't calories here - in fact we out right discourage it.  

You could add homemade mayo, olives, avocado, drizzle with more oil or add some ghee/clarified butter.  Nuts while not discouraged - are not really an ideal fat source as it causing bloating and discomfort for many.  Nuts are something to go easy on - think 1 serving a day.  One serving of nuts is one closed handful.

It is my first day on the whole30 and I prepped my meal yesterday. I made a pound of roasted veggies and 10 oz of seared chicken - I put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in EACH dish (total of 4 tb). I felt like this was a lot but please correct me if I'm wrong. What is the appropriate amount of cooking fat we should have in one meal? 

Thank you 

That sounds about right for that amount of veggies and meat.

The next time you cook, take a look at the skillet or baking sheet after you remove the food. You'll notice all the fat that's been left behind.

Archived