Dutch Oven

RoseMeg451

Lodge is a great brand I think...my cast iron skillets are lodge. I got my dutch oven from Target when we registered for our wedding and it was a little less expensive than lodge I think (though this was 6.5 years ago). The brand is colorcast and it has been great. 

Lodge all the way. I received my dutch oven as a wedding gift and it's one of the most used items in my kitchen. I can do a roast in it, braise lamb chops, make soup or chili, or just saute a ridiculous amount of food. I love it! It also survived a tumble down our apartment stairs when I slipped on some icy steps. (Thankfully it was only the dutch oven and not me that tumbled!)

Follow question, regarding size. I have a young family of 5, and we are hoping to expand our family. I read somewhere that 6qt is good for cooking for 2-4. Have y'all seen this to be accurate? I know I am overthinking this, but I don't want to get one that is too small and then need to upgrade in a couple years, or get one that is just too big.

I have this 5-quart Calphalon model (and love it); it easily holds a batch of soup or chili that would serve four to six. If you're looking for a long-term investment, I'd probably go with the 7-quart in your circumstances. (I have Lodge skillets that are great - I just haven't tried their Dutch oven. But I'd be pretty confident about that brand as well.)

http://store.calphalon.com/simply-calphalon-enamel-cast-iron-5-qt-dutch-oven-blue/407356

http://store.calphalon.com/simply-calphalon-enamel-cast-iron-7-qt-dutch-oven-blue/414573

I thought tomato (or is that citric acid?) was bad for cast iron?

You wouldn't want to let something acidic sit in a plain cast iron piece of cookware, but normal cooking shouldn't breakdown the cast iron and if your cookware is enameled (like the Lodge dutch oven) then the enamel protects the cast iron. Just try to avoid using metal utensils or you'll wear down the enamel.

Regarding size, I don't think there's such a thing as "too big" in regard to dutch ovens just as long as you have the storage space. They're meant for big tasks like whole chickens, roasts, or high volume dishes like soup and chili. Worst case scenario, your make a huge batch of something and then either have leftovers for the next day's lunch or you can feed the freezer.

I have a 7 qt oval , a 5 qt round, and a 3 qt round all enameled and a pretty generic name brand so they came at a great price, I bought a whole set for what you pay for one Le Creuset.  I use them all the time and love them, they are so versatile in their usages. If you are looking to expand your family or just like leftovers like my family of 2 then I would get the 7 qt oval.  I bake chicken, make soups and stews, a nice piece of beef for sandwiches, before my whole30 I used them for cooking my dry beans in the oven, there are so many usages.  But if I had to choose and could only have one french oven then it would be my 7 qt because I can cook as little as I like in it or as much as I like in it.  

Archived