Airplane ear pressure

fmitok

I'll be traveling by airplane during week three of my Whole30.  I'm fine with the food choices on travel, but I suffer from extreme ear pain on flights due to the pressurization. I usually chew gum for both the ascent and descent, but I don't want to have to start my Whole30 again just because I'm traveling. 

Any suggestions on what I might "chew" for 20-30 mins on both ends of the flight?

• Moderators

Yawning and swallowing are both supposed to help relieve pressure. Also, have you ever tried the thing where you hold your nose, but then breathe as if you're trying to force breath through your nose? Does that even make sense?  Ha -- Google is my friend here -- that has a name: Valsalva Maneuver. Who knew? This article describes that, and actually has some other tips you might find helpful.

Yawning and swallowing are both supposed to help relieve pressure. Also, have you ever tried the thing where you hold your nose, but then breathe as if you're trying to force breath through your nose? Does that even make sense?  Ha -- Google is my friend here -- that has a name: Valsalva Maneuver. Who knew? This article describes that, and actually has some other tips you might find helpful.

^This. Works for me every time.

Pick up some  "Ear Planes"  they're funny looking things you put in your ears an hour before you land.. They work for me quite well.. along with the swallowing  and yawning..   Make sure you get the adult ones.. I've not looked for them at CVS or Rite Aid.. I find them at the Airport..

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use Ear Planes and all the other suggestions - all to no avail. My ear problems date back to childhood and are really quite severe. I think I'll try the jerky suggestion - that's one I haven't tried but do know to be chewy.

Thanks, all!

Good luck Fmitok.. I feel for ya.. its a horrible pain.  One time it was like my head was in a watermelon for a week..

HA! That's an excellent description.  :)  I love to travel - and do travel a lot, so doing something out of my normal routine will be interesting, to say the least. But I do love jerky, so this may be a great long-term option for me, too!

Original_5_0c605a91-838a-4878-bdc9-66684

• W30_Original_5_large.jpg?v=1430773525
  • Original_Open_large.jpg?v=1430773525
  • Original_5_0c605a91-838a-4878-bdc9-66684
  • Original_Box_Back_large.jpg?v=1430773548

5ct. Original Flavor Chomps Paleo Snacks$11.25

Product details

If you’re looking for an all-natural way to snack, grab this pack of 5 Original Flavor Chomps Snack Sticks. Made from 100% grass-fed beef, they’re Whole 30 approved, as well as sugar and gluten free. Our Original Flavor Chomps Snack Sticks feature the same savory taste that first made us popular. Slightly smoky, slightly spicy, the flavor is sure to make every snack time a mouthwatering experience.

Unlike most mainstream beef snacks, Chomps Sticks aren’t stuffed with additives that could be found in Frankenstein’s lab - just hearty, familiar, farm-fresh ingredients. That’s right: no artificial nitrates or nitrites, no antibiotics, no synthetics. This makes these paleo-friendly bites ideal additions to any healthy diet.

“The perfect 80 calorie snack…you cannot beat the ingredient list… And the taste? I can so dig it… Filling and Satisfying!” - Fit Bottomed Eats

Ingredients:100% Grass-Fed Beef, Water, Salt, Citric Acid, Celery Juice, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Garlic Powder, Coriander, Stuffed in a Collagen Casing.

• 4 weeks later...

This will come far too late for that particular trip, but maybe you can try it during a future flight. I have the exact same problem, it's called Aerosinusitis, has its own Wikipedia page, and neither ear planes nor chewing help when you're suffering from a severe case. The only thing that helps adjusting to the changed pressure is a widening of the sinus cavities, and for that you can use a very simple nasal spray like you would usually take during a cold. While living in New Zealand I've used Otrivin, and here in Germany one called Nasivin. One is based on sodium chloride and dexpanthenol, the other one on oxymetazolinhydrocholoride and glycerol - both worked perfectly! 

This is what my OH's ENT Dr has suggested for him, he gets prescription strength nasal spray. His problem with his ears flying is so severe that his ear drums burst regularly when flying, especially on short haul flights. 

This will come far too late for that particular trip, but maybe you can try it during a future flight. I have the exact same problem, it's called Aerosinusitis, has its own Wikipedia page, and neither ear planes nor chewing help when you're suffering from a severe case. The only thing that helps adjusting to the changed pressure is a widening of the sinus cavities, and for that you can use a very simple nasal spray like you would usually take during a cold. While living in New Zealand I've used Otrivin, and here in Germany one called Nasivin. One is based on sodium chloride and dexpanthenol, the other one on oxymetazolinhydrocholoride and glycerol - both worked perfectly! 

Archived