Should I quit my daily dose of coffee?

I am addicted to coffee (w/o it I get headaches) and have a cup every day. I just placed an order on Amazon for a new grinder and coffee maker because I thought I should drink better coffee since I'm having it black now (I was drinking nescafe instant coffee for a while). After I place the orders I thought WAIT...why don't I just quit coffee. I realized I only like coffee with milk. I don't even like it black! I read the The Coffee Manifesto article on Whole9. It seems like the cons outweigh the pros.

So does quitting coffee really lead to more stable energy levels? Is it better to quit my daily dose of coffee and to just have it on occasion? 

Thinking about that. I ordered the new coffee machines already and don't want my money wasted if i quit :) but there would still be time to return. 

I mean..do the cons really outweigh the pros? 

It's not what we do some of the time but what we do all of the time.   If one cup is going to lead to a pot, then giving it up is good.  If you can handle some here and there without affecting your hormones, insulin or other bodily functions... just try a tad now and then.  I quit drinking coffee.  Without the coffee, there's no reason to drink heavy cream or any of those nut milks which don't do a thing for me.  I drank a pot aday.  Now, I only drink it when I'm out.  I put my coffee maker away.  I went Cold Turkey at home but when I run to town,  I might have the rare shot of plain espresso.  It's so minute, it's like a single slurp.  coffee2.gif

I ratcheted down from regular to half caf. Then quarter caf. Now, I drink decaf (get the Swiss water processed decaf, the other kind uses chemicals). Try that method. See how it goes.

I like that ratcheting down plan.  

I've just weaned myself off coffee for the second time. First time around I didn't drink it for a couple of years, and I was a serious coffee drinker before that. Is it worth it? Oh yes, absolutely! Less anxiety, stable blood sugar...well you've read the articles so you know.

Once I stopped I didn't miss it, except when I went into certain cafes, eventually the aroma became too tempting, one cup led to another...

Decaf never worked for me, don't know why, but I'm not missing it in the slightest now I'm off it again.

I was forced to give up coffee this week due to a medical condition. It's only been 2 days but I definitely can tell a difference in how I feel. It's really hard but would have been much harder if I had not already been doing whole30.

my anxiety and sleep are a lot better without coffee, even when previously I was just drinking black americano :)

can I just say knowing your anxiety and sleep are doing better makes me very very happy this morning? good to see you here foursimplewords.

can I just say knowing your anxiety and sleep are doing better makes me very very happy this morning? good to see you here foursimplewords.

thankyou what a sweet message  :)

I occasionally drank coffee with that sweetened CoffeeMate stuff but, had a Red Bull, EVERY WEEK DAY.  I replaced my Red Bull (daily) with an 8oz black coffee.  And surprise, surprise, I LOVE plain, black coffee.  I can pick up the notes in it and it helped ease off the caffeine and move into having a cup 2-3 times a week. 

The other half is moving in that direction too!

Schnauzy, what did you decide to do?

I'm always curious about people's experiences quitting coffee. I've been a 1-3 cup/morning coffee drinker for years, but I quit at the beginning of last year because I felt like it was triggering anxiety and making me feel otherwise crappy. I tried to wean myself with some green tea daily but still had headaches for ten days, and slept A LOT during that time. But after that I did get used to it and didn't miss it at all. My energy was more even througout the day than it had been before.

7 months later I was camping with family and someone made a big pot of coffee. I started drinking it again, 1-2 cups/morning. I stopped again when I got pregnant, because one day I woke up and couldn't stand it. Started again a couple months later when one day I woke up and it sounded good again (in hindsight, I was starting to lose the pregnancy) and I've been back on since. Maybe at some point I'll quit again (not now).

I'm curious to hear your experience if you did indeed decide to stop!

Hi TrayS, I decided to quit my daily dose :). I quit b/c some days I did not feel like coffee, and I would need to drink it just to avoid that afternoon headache. And I drank it just to feel "normal." I felt like it was not giving me a healthy psychological/physiological response and since I'm doing the whole30, why not go all the way! 

I drink green or black tea every morning instead. Surprisingly, I had no side effects when I quit my coffee maybe because I still have a little caffeine from the tea and/or because I was drinking 1 tb of nescafe instant coffee which probably doesn't have as high of a dose of caffeine. Though before nescafe, I was drinking coffee from coffee shops. 

I think it'll definitely help if you gradually lower the dosage! Best of luck :) 

Nice decision, Schnauzy.   You'll definitely notice the difference with your appetite first thing in the morning.  Coffee dampens the desire for food that's why people drink it all day long.   Even after a day or two of coffee-less, you'll notice you're hungry when your feet hit the floor.    Quitting coffee in the morning is the best thing I've ever done.

Bulletproof coffee works 4 X stronger as an appetite suppressant than regular coffee.  People are hooked on bulletproof now but the real proof comes at the end of 30 days of a Whole 30 when you've kicked coffee to the curb.  Ahhhhh, kicking coffee really fixes the metabolism...

I recently saw an airline pilot in an interview...he said that coffee made his skin itch from head to toe.   That didn't stop him, he kept on drinking it for over 30 years.   One day,  he stopped.  Cold Turkey.

His skin has stopped being a mess and he no longer itches.   

I wonder if people are more allergic to coffee than they realize.

Archived