Grocery manager offering to stock ANYTHING I need or want!

So... We recently received a new Darrenkamps Family own market near my home, however due to funds... We typically shopped at the local Walmart. However, after watching Food, Inc. and halfway through It Starts with Food. I decided to check out the 'more expensive' grocery store. I'm shocked at how much is there local to me. We have been going to Wegmans (30 minutes away) to get some of the items I couldn't find at the walmart for this new Whole 30 adventure. I'm like so excited. I couldn't find Canned or frozen sweet potatoes without syrup and cocunut milk without that preservative, but the general store manager who was helping me stated that ANYTHING that I would like, even if I would be the only one to buy it they will stock. Their meat section allowed me to read all the ingredients list and found some sausage and BACON that I could have! That one small trip there made a huge impression on me on quality vs quantity. 

So my question is... What product can you LIVE without on the Whole 30 diet plan? 

You do mean what we can LIVE without?

I live without

Bananas

Mangos

Dates

Nuts

Dried Fruits

Nut Milks

Nut butters

Larabars

RxBars

All bars

All fruit juices

Bacon is something I WON'T LIVE WITHOUT on WHOLE30.  I use it to flavor all kinds of roasted vegetables, especially Brussels.

Kale

Broccoli

Asparagus

Spinach

Purple potatoes

Blackberries

Butter lettuce

Radishes

Bok choy

Celery

Unsweetened dried cranberries

Pomegranates

Lemons

Limes

Your thread was FUN!  Thanks, I've enjoyed this.   wordthanx.gif

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'm assuming you meant NOT live with out.  Clearly people doing W30 do quite well living without lots of stuff WalMart sells :)

But if you meant products people WANT to buy while on a W30 and based on what people on here often post about not being able to find I'd say...

• Coconut Aminos
  • Compliant fish sauce
  • Compliant full fat coconut milk
  • Grass fed butter
  • Grass fed, grass finished beef
  • Compliant bacon
  • Compliant deli meats (Whole Foods is the only place I know of that sells pre-cooked, sliced chicken and turkey that is compliant), Applegate's Roast Beef is the only other one I know of
  • Compliant sausages
  • Refined coconut oil (Spectrum Organics doesn't taste like coconut and its cold pressed - maybe still a hot topic to use refined though... but it means the stuff you make won't taste like coconut)
  • Coconut flour
  • Kombucha :)

Most of what I stock in my kitchen is Whole30 compliant so I don't have to really shop for special items. I mainly just have to hide my baking items and chocolate. A lot of the things that I can't live without during a Whole30 are non-food items.

• LOTS of storage containers
  • Lots of cutting boards
  • Orange pekoe tea (I drink a lot of iced tea at work and lately they only stock crap with soy)
  • Seltzer
  • More storage containers
  • Mandolin (thin sliced cabbage has become a major staple veggie)
  • Electric whisk (for making mayo)
  • "naked" rotisserie chicken (local grocery store tosses plain chickens in there--no weird oils, no sugar, just deliciousness)

Pork shoulder is becoming another staple item since I'm hooked on Nom Nom Paleo's kalua pork. If I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat off of it, do a big pork shoulder, and then do a beef roast or a couple of pounds of ground beef, then that takes care of most of the protein that the husband and I need for the week. The weeks where I prep that go much more smoothly than the weeks that I don't.

• Moderators

My go to faves for Whole30:

• Spaghetti squash
  • sweet potatoes
  • zucchini
  • organic baby carrots
  • English cucumbers
  • Avocados/guacamole
  • Salsa
  • Rao's or Amy's Family marinara (always read the label!)
  • chicken thighs
  • ground lamb and grassfed beef
  • Aidells or Applegate Farms chicken apple sausages (refrigerated, not frozen, always check your label!)
  • frozen veggies for pan-frying: broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, some mixes of veggies for variety
  • EGGS
  • lemons
  • garlic
  • onion
  • SPICES!! so many: Chinese 5 spice, Ras el Hanout, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, dried herbs ...

I find that my local Walmarts (there are at least 6!) in my area, I have found that the market part is more expensive than the 'higher end' local markets, so that is where I shop--plus it is a far more pleasant shopping experience to be sure! We used to go to Wally World for cleaning and paper products, but we are even finding those are priced the same or just pennies more or less than Walmart, so we don't do much there either. 

For my list I can't live with out--refer tothe above lists pretty much everything there plus english cucumbers, olive oils, avocado oil, plus other salad veggies--can't LIVE with out mushrooms--which is my 4 yr old son's hands down favorite veggie. 

I can't live without:

coconut milk

cabbage -- raw in slaws and roasted in the oven

**homemade mayo**

coconut oil

ghee

white wine vinegar

apple cider vinegar

aleppo pepper

fresh parsley

sweet potatoes or yams

red boat fish sauce