Day 12 and no energy at all

I literally can barely keep my eyes open despite getting about 9 hours of sleep last night. Yesterday I was a bit tired, but today is nuts. Could be a fluke having nothing to do with diet, but I feel like someone drugged me. I'm eating well so I'm not sure what's going on. Is this usually a tough day for people?

It was around day 12 that I felt the need to introduce a preWO meal so I'm guessing that yes, it is normal....

Are you eating enough starchy veg? Can you post a couple of days worth of food/liquids/activities to see if any tweaks can be made to get you back on your feet...?

• Moderators

Let me guess... you are NOT eating starchy veggies as part of your meals. That could explain not having any energy. Or you could be failing to eat enough food in general. Eating too light saps your energy too. If you provide a detailed report of 2-3 days of your meals, we could offer real guidance. 

I do not eat any starchy veggies and really don't want to. I'm eating less than the template because I'm trying to lose weight. Because I have the lap-band, I cannot eat early in the morning because the band is extremely tight after waking up. So I usually have brunch, then a banana around 2pm, then dinner. I'm almost never hungry so I really don't want to eat more. Losing weight is a priority. I'm thinking that my carbs may be down, although the banana should be helping with that.

Brunch: 3 poached eggs, guacamole or half avocado, roasted veggies in EVOO (usually grape tomatoes or peppers)

Snack: banana

Dinner: 8-10 ounces of chicken or strip steak, roasted or sautéed veggies in EVOO (at least a few cups of veggies)

Okay - Just letting you know that you will not necessarily lose weight by avoiding starchy veggies or by eating less then template sized meals.  In fact by eating only twice a day could possibly throw your hormones more out of whack and cause your body to hold onto more fat.

The fact that you are not hungry in the morning makes it clear that your hormones are already out of balance.

Okay - now that we understand that you have a lap-band - which will change things up quite a bit for you - you meals will be smaller but should be big enough to hold you for 3 -4 hours.  The smaller meals should be smaller sized template sized meals (protein, vegetable and fat - fruit is optional).  Fruit should never be eaten on it's own - it will cause you to be hungrier earlier.

I can personally vouch that our bodies need starchy vegetables.  And you can still lose weight by consuming them.  I never limited my consumption of starchy veg, and I was able to lose 35lbs (and keep it off).  So try to incorporate maybe 1 a day.  I promise your energy levels should improve!

• Administrators

I'm eating less than the template because I'm trying to lose weight. 

An adult human should never be eating any less than the template, that is the minimum required for proper body and hormone function.  The lap band may change how much you can eat in one sitting but it does not change your nutritional requirements as a human.

The less you eat, the slower your metabolism so that the small amount you are eating becomes more than you are burning so you have to eat less and then the metabolism slows even more.  Restriction truly is not the way to lose weight.  It's biologically contradictory.

Further, weight loss is not just a calories in vs calories out thing. Healthy and happy (mentally and emotionally) weight loss occurs when your hormones are in balance and your body is feeling safe enough to drop excess fat.  That does not happen if you are not eating within an hour of waking or if you are eating too little food.  

So even if I'm not hungry I should eat more? I don't understand how hormones affect weight loss and don't totally buy that argument, unless you have PCOS. I can add a baked potato every once in a while, and switch out the banana for something else, but I'm not sure I'm undereating. I think my dinners are close to two template meals,so I feel like I'm getting those 3 meals in, just not exactly as whole30 says. Because of 2 medications I'm on that have totally messed up my metabolism, I need to eat close to 1,000 calories a day to lose. I'm not sure if I'm hitting that number now, but I'm really not hungry.

So even if I'm not hungry I should eat more? I don't understand how hormones affect weight loss and don't totally buy that argument, unless you have PCOS. I can add a baked potato every once in a while, and switch out the banana for something else, but I'm not sure I'm undereating. I think my dinners are close to two template meals,so I feel like I'm getting those 3 meals in, just not exactly as whole30 says. Because of 2 medications I'm on that have totally messed up my metabolism, I need to eat close to 1,000 calories a day to lose. I'm not sure if I'm hitting that number now, but I'm really not hungry.

Whole30 asks us to look at our bodies' nutritional and health needs very differently from how we are instructed to see them in mainstream media.

Hormones directly affect weight loss and body processes, and eating whole foods according to a human circadian cycle (that is, up in the morning, sleeping when it's dark), promotes hormonal healing and balance. This in turn leads to the body being free to look for/find its natural weight.

Calorie-counting has been discounted for years by folks studying how food really affects bodies. It is used as a tool to oppress people, especially women, in mainstream media. There is nothing that calorie counting will do except tell you that you are inadequate. (Hint: you're more than adequate.)

Restricting carb intake has been linked to a number of ills for women in particular. When we are eating Whole30, we completely eliminate harmful sources of carbs and replace those with nutrition. Our bodies need this nutrition, and this particular form of it. This is absolutely essential, for instance, in the days surrounding our periods, when we truly must eat far more than at other times in our cycle. The fact that the advertising community has seen fit to throw our true needs back at us and call them cravings for chocolate, does not mean we do not need to eat carbs. We do.

If you are on medications that affect your metabolism, then you are an excellent candidate for the benefits of Whole30 eating. While Whole30 cannot claim to alter or reverse strong effects/side effects of medications, Whole30 eating will indeed make your body healthier as it responds to those medications. This may even, in some cases, lead to a reduction in dose of a medication (but do not try this at home, work closely with your medical provider). In turn, this will bring you to optimal results, combining food and medication in a way that truly supports your body.

All of this is to say that the biggest hurdle you will need to cross will be the mental one. Food is food. But it is worth it to take the time to truly understand the science behind Whole30 and to give it a true test in your own experience. You can get a great deal from the Whole30 website, and there are also two books dedicated to these scientific principles: It Starts With Food and The Whole30.

If you would like to truly aim for the way Whole30 asks you to eat, then here is the basic template:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

For folks without bariatric surgeries, we ask that they do this three times a day, the first time within an hour of waking. In your case, you will need to alter your meal sizes to fit your body's situation. But over the course of the day, you will want to eat as much as listed above, and in the proportions listed above times three. Fruit is optional on Whole30 and should not push vegetables off of your plate.

One of the clearest signs that hormones are unbalanced is the inability to conceive of eating breakfast in the morning. This may be, in your case, exacerbated by the effects of the lap band and even, possibly, your medications. So while we do ask you to be gentle with yourself, we also ask you as part of your Whole30 to make a serious, concerted effort to eat breakfast. If you are not able to take more than a few bites within an hour of waking, start there. Fix your meal, eat what you can, put the rest away for later. Next day, eat a bite more. Next day, a bite more. And so on.

Changing your eating is easy. Changing your approach to food and how you use it to fuel your body is the challenge. It's a challenge worth accepting, and I commend you for taking steps here to move in that direction.

• Administrators

Hormones isn't really an argument to buy into as much as it is science.  It's listening and looking at the body as a complete unit rather than pieces seperate from one another.  Hormones are the messengers that carry every single message within your entire body.  Hormones that are out of sync or out of balance are sending messages that are inaccurate or weak.  No human body that feels it is in a precarious situation is going to release weight, it wouldn't make sense.

I sincerely hope that you listen to what Amy said above.  About media, about hormones and about how to give the WHole30 a sincere effort as written (with your mods for lap band as she's described above).  SO much of what we've been taught as women was done either because the institutions that made the recommendations didn't account for the fact that women are unique beings with unique needs or because the marketers wanted to make money off of the self shame that we have simply for existing.

You are worth every second that you spend trying to get your body back in balance because you are a valuable human being.  That is enough right there to discount everything you've ever been told by people trying to get between you and your money and your self worth.

I hear you guys ... thanks for the input. I do realize the connection between hormones and eating, weight loss/gain, and cravings, but eating if I'm not hungry is a tough one for me. In the morning, I'm not only not hungry, but if I try to eat, it doesn't go down. So I wait a few hours, have my warm coffee to loosen up the band, then eat brunch. I'll try to balance things out better. Thanks so much for the help/

Be careful with coffee - coffee is a known appetite suppressant.  So it is better to drink your coffee after your meal rather than before your meal.

Many people have problems with eating first thing in the morning - it is not that usual - however it takes them around 10 days before things switch around and they will wake up with morning hunger.

It is healthiest to eat within an hour of waking.  However since you are not used to it maybe start off slow with a mugful of soup or bone broth. Then work up from there.

Archived