What the heck is cooking fat????

Hello,

I keep seeing in the recipes "cooking fat" as an ingredient. I've been using olive oil. Is this considered "cooking fat" or is ghee "cooking fat"? Also, if this is ghee that is being referenced, I picked some up at Trader Joe's (Clarified Butter - Ghee) and it clearly lists milk as an ingredient. Is that normal? I was under the impression that ghee didn't have milk so I haven't used it yet. Thanks as always for your help.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Cooking fat is fat you cook with. Olive oil is generally not recommended as a cooking fat since it has a low smoke point. Coconut oil (unrefined if you like the flavor of coconut; refined if you prefer a neutral flavor); ghee or clarified butter (made from milk, yes, but the milk proteins have been removed so this is fine for Whole30); avocado oil, macadamia oil, tallow, schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), duck fat, lard (not the commercial stuff but homemade or properly sourced), etc.

Basically, if it's fat and you are cooking with it, it's cooking fat. We talk about it like this to distinguish it from the fat you use to compose your meals. As part of composing a meal, we ask that you do this:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat

3. 1-3 cups veggies

Notice that as part of composing a meal we ask that you eat fat (think drizzle of olive oil, handful of olives, half an avocado, etc. here). We do not include cooking fat as part of this fat serving, because most of the fat you cook with stays in the pan.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions, and hang out here for support and information throughout your Whole30.

Ghee is made from milk but has the casein & the lactose removed, hence the reference to milk.

Re: the cooking fat thing my guess would be that they're using that term so you can use the cooking fat of your choice... ghee, lard, duck fat, bacon fat, coconut oil - most people have a preference.

• 3 weeks later...

I was so glad to read this about refined cooking oil vs. unrefined. Thanks, AmyS.! I was wondering why I had enjoyed cooking with the Spectrum coconut oil, but found the one I got at Trader Joe's to be overly pungent and off putting. I will stick with Spectrum from now on, and I guess demote my TJ's to skin cream. :P  

I was so glad to read this about refined cooking oil vs. unrefined. Thanks, AmyS.! I was wondering why I had enjoyed cooking with the Spectrum coconut oil, but found the one I got at Trader Joe's to be overly pungent and off putting. I will stick with Spectrum from now on, and I guess demote my TJ's to skin cream. :P  

Spectrum also makes an unrefined coconut oil. The key is not the brand, but the word refined. Refined = no smell or taste.

Archived