Severe gagging and nausea

I'm on Day 4 of my first ever Whole30.  I do NOT want to give up!!  That's why I'm here asking for help/advice.  I have never been one to eat many cooked veggies.  I would normally eat them raw, and my gag reflex is able to handle them that way.  It appears that eating them cooked is preferred.  That causes a big problem for me.  Cooking them changes the texture (and even the taste), and then I start having severe gagging issues.  Sometimes to the point of throwing up.  This leads to me feeling extremely nauseated all the time, and I can barely gag down foods I normally love.  I also know I'm not eating nearly enough because of this. Is there something I can do to help this problem?  Is is okay to eat most of my veggies raw if that is what keeps me from getting sick?  Please help!!

• Moderators

Eating veggies raw often causes digestive distress AND keeps you from eating a large enough volume of food to supply the nutrition you need. You can eat raw veggies, but understand that eating adequate volumes of raw veggies may create other problems. 

I don't have any ideas about how to overcome your issues with cooked veggies, but others may have some thoughts. 

To follow on from what Tom said I'd ask how you're cooking your veggies, and what types specifically, just to see if we can't come up with something new for you taste/texture-wise?

A lot of people *think* they don't like something until they try it cooked another way...

Guest Andria

This seems like a psychological issue. Can you recall anything in your childhood that might have triggered this type of reaction?  By trying to get the root/cause of this issue may help you get over it.  

With that said, try roasting your vegetables.  Roasting gives them a unique flavor that you definitely do not get from steaming or sautéing.  Marinade the vegetables before roasting in balsamic vinegar/evoo mixture imparts a nice, mildly sweet flavor.

Chopping the veggies into smaller pieces before sautéing may help as well.  Would including them in sauce based recipes help?  Making marina sauce, chili, curries and, as Chris said, soups, are all good ways to disguise vegetables.  

Although, I would encourage you to get used to eating veggies without having to always hide them in something.  As an adult, it is probably time to break this impediment to eating vegetables. ;)

• Moderators

Kudos on your resolve to stick with it despite your challenges.

I second the soup (pureed veggies) and roasting (don't skimp on the fat - I adore coconut oil and ghee; salt them; cut into smaller pieces).

My very favorite Whole30 recipe OF ALL TIME is Melissa Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash. You can also sub sweet potatoes or a combo of bnut squash and sweet potatoes (my favorite way). EVERYONE loves it from kids to veggie haters, so give it a try.

You can do this!!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25171-whole-30-food-is-gross/#entry265125

Here's another thread with very similar problems and the  Whole 30 template.  You might find some answers here. 

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

"I'm only on Day 7, and while I've miraculously managed to avoid most of the negative physical side effects I was expecting (like headaches and fatigue), my main problem is that I just don't like any of this food I'm eating. It all tastes like cardboard. I've never liked vegetables, and I'm having such a hard time forcing myself to eat them. Even the few Whole 30-approved foods that I like (certain meats and fruits) are starting to taste terrible. Since Day 1, I've been having to force-feed myself and choke it all down, and after almost every meal, I feel like I'm going to throw up. I thought maybe it would get better, but I'm a week in, and it's just getting worse.

I know I'm not eating enough, but I'd rather be hungry than eat food that tastes terrible. Last night, I just lay in bed for hours, unable to sleep because my stomach was growling and I was crying at the thought of waking up in the morning and having to eat disgusting food again. I'm forcing myself to eat 3 small meals, but my taste buds and stomach really hate Whole 30 food."

Today and tomorrow I am really switching up how I'm cooking things.  I do like roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli, so I may just end up eating a lot of them until my stomach settles down.  I will have to look into some of the soup ideas too.  I can't really do many sauces because I'm doing the AIP version of Whole30.  I have several autoimmune issues I'm dealing with.  I'm not eating nuts, dried fruit, etc.  I have been eating raw veggies today because that is all my stomach is handling. I will work tonight on getting stuff prepped again so I have some options.  Thanks for the help.  I really want to see this through!

Archived