chezjulie

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Post Whole30 Round 2 Reintroductions:

LEGUMES

D1S1    plantain chips, hummus

D1M1   3 chicken apple sausage links, small serving egg whites, roasted fingerling potatoes, fruit cup, coffee w/almond milk

D1M2   salmon, hard boiled egg, lettuce, green beans, hummus, capers, vinaigrette

D1M3   3 Balsamic & Kale sausage, broccoli etc. slaw in coconut oil, roasted peanuts, pineapple chunks, Cosmic Cranberry Kombucha 

Food:   It was exciting to be able to eat a few new things (hummus and peanuts) and to pick up some prepared food now that I can allow a smidgen of added sugar back in.

Woke up to some serious tummy gas. It might have been due to the reintroduction of legumes. Or it could have been a response to overeating yesterday, or to specific foods like plantain chips and broccoli slaw. I have also been having some bloating lately, so it could be related to that. Hard to say! 

As described in ISWF:

Because some of the short-chain carbohydrates (sugars) found in legumes aren’t properly absorbed in the small intestine, they can then act as food for bacteria living in both the small and large intestines. The bacteria then “ferment” (digest) these carbohydrates (called galactans), which can create many unpleasant symptoms, including gas and bloating.

I might do a legumes day again at the end of reintroductions to see if I get similar results.

D2M1   2 Balsamic & Kale chicken sausage w/mustard, broccoli/cauliflower w/EVOO, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pss, coffee w/coconut milk

D2M2   tuna fish, herb mix, portabella mushrooms, avocado, EVOO & bv

D2M3   pot roast (w/potatoes, carrots, onions, celery), broccoli/cauliflower, almond butter, Gingerberry Kombucha

D2M1   2 Hot Italian sausage, sauerkraut, sweet potato w/ghee & pss

D2M2   tuna fish, celery sticks, Honeycrisp apple, Justin's Honey Almond Butter

D2M3   Acapulco omelet (seasoned taco meat, onions, peppers, chives, & mushrooms), hash browns, fruit

NON-GLUTEN GRAINS

D3M1   Hot Italian Sausage w/mustard, egg, sauerkraut, (gluten free) oatmeal w/strawberries & coconut milk, coffee w/coconut milk

D3M2   pot roast (w/potatoes, carrots, onions, celery)

D3M3   2 yellowtail sushi, 2 shrimp sushi, California roll w/wasabi & coconut aminos, 1/2 serving of (gluten free) oatmeal w/strawberries & coconut milk, Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   I enjoyed eating oatmeal and sushi for a change, but it definitely "pushed vegetables off my plate," as they say.

Function:   Felt annoyingly gassy on the way to the sushi restaurant, and momentarily nauseous after. But I kind of feel like I have more gassiness in general when I'm doing a Whole30. I have no idea why. 

D4M1   4 turkey sausage, potatoes & peppers, honeydew melon, almond slivers & EVOO

D4M2   Acapulco omelet (seasoned taco meat, onions, peppers, chives, & mushrooms), hash browns, banana slices

D4M3   grilled chicken, lettuce, roma tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and sprouts, roasted red pepper dressing, Gingerberry Kombucha

D5M1   lemon turkey (ground), pumpkin, sugar snap peas, 2/3 large Honeycrisp apple w/almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

D5M2   lemon turkey (ground), pumpkin, sugar snap peas, 1/3 large Honeycrisp apple

D5M3   chopped turkey breast, baked potato, BBQ sauce, broccoli slaw w/EVOO & bv

Food:   Didn't realize I ate turkey for every meal today! It wasn't my intention to have a starch with every meal either, but around suppertime I got a yen to pick up some local barbecue, and a plain potato is the only vegetable that's even close to compliant. I added a few handfuls of broccoli slaw to give my meal some green.

I'm planning to do another one in January, too.  :) Might as well do it while the rest of the world is working on their New Year's Resolutions! I agree that the holiday season would be really hard, although I do hope to select particular days and events at which I want to enjoy special foods, and not just treat Thanksgiving through New Year's as a competitive eating event!  :D

I am doing fine with eating right now - just too busy and tired to manage posting.

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely got off track between November 8th and today (December 1st) due to some medication issues and just falling into old habits. So about 3 weeks of not-so-Whole30-ish eating.

I am planning to start tracking again, because I always do better when I'm tracking. Here are my other considerations:

• I'm having a check-up and blood work in a couple of weeks, and I want it to go okay.
  • I will be eating some special holiday treats at parties and actual holiday days like Christmas, so I want to be on track the rest of the time.
  • It shouldn't be that difficult as I'm going to keep some foods like oatmeal, beans, and milk in my diet.

I have also started going to weekly yoga class again, which I think will be good for my overall health. I love my yoga teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Britt! I ended up feeling rotten for much of November/December due to some health and medication issues, and the healthy eating was just not happening. I'm starting to feel better now, and I was just thinking today that I want to get back to eating right the weekend after Christmas. (To me, that would be eating mostly Whole30 structured meals, but allowing milk in my coffee for convenience, and occasional oatmeal or beans). I plan to start my next Whole30 in mid-January after I get back from a business trip to Boston. (I just don't want to do the business trip Whole30 thing again!)

Thanks for checking on me.  :)

Archived