Chez Julie Post-Whole30 Log

chezjulie

I want to use this post to reflect a little on traveling on the Whole30, although my experience was made trying by being sick.

• The Krave Pork Jerky was really good, as was the bison Epic bar.
  • It was especially helpful to have the jerky & bison bar, mixed nuts, and dried fruit on hand.
  • The hotel breakfast worked out great except for being super expensive, and the dinner worked out well, too.
  •  If you are somewhere hippy-ish like Austin or California, it's pretty easy to find Kombucha and salads.
  • There is apparently no situation in which I'm going to look at a package of tuna fish in my hotel room and want to eat it.
  • I definitely was able to bypass free offerings like muffins and ice cream due to my Whole30 mental resistance muscles.
  • Trying to eat Whole30 on the road introduces an additional stressor on a trip, and I spent energy worryng about what to eat and the expenses I was incurring.
  • I looked forward to getting back to a fridge full of chicken sausage, veggies, and sweet potatoes. (Not that I actually have that, LOL! I have to go to the store and restock).

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W4D25M1   turkey slice, roasted brussels sprouts, bran muffin, coffee w/coconut milk 

W4D25M2   3 turkey slices, roasted brussels sprouts, mixed mushrooms w/EVOO, S&P

W4D25S1    Gala apple, Justin's Maple Almond Butter, Justin's Peanut Butter, 5 chocolate coins

W4D25M3   3 1/2 eggs, roasted potatoes w/EVOO, rosemary & garlic, roasted bell peppers & onions in EVOO

W4D25S2    banana, Justin's peanut butter, prunes

Food:   I know this was not exactly a textbook day with the two snacks and all the nut butter, but compared to the car crash of the previous 36 hours, I'll take it!

W4D26M1   ground beef, roasted potatoes, bell peppers, & onions in EVOO, ketchup, 100 Calorie pkg. of cashews, coffee w/coconut milk
W4D26M2   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, heap of TJ's Cruciferous Crunch (kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts) w//EVOO & balsamic vinegar, TJ's 21 Spice Salute, small handful of plantain chips, mango, papaya, & pineapple spears
W4D26M3   ground beef, egg, roasted potatoes, bell peppers, & onions in EVOO, 1/2 avocado

W4D26S1    toasted coconut chips, Justin's Maple Almond Butter, trail mix

Food:   Great meals today, but some serious noshing at bedtime! I hopefully only have a couple more days on Prednisone and then my appetite will go back to normal.

W4D27M1   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, butternut squash, coffee w/milk, 3 Hershey's nuggets (This is like the Sesame Street game, "Which of these things is not like the others?")

W4D27M2   2 turkey sticks, 1 hard boiled egg, small apple, 100 Calorie Almonds package

W4D27S1   2 turkey sticks, 1 hard boiled egg white (while stuck in traffic for an hour during storm)

W4D27M4   1 1/2 Chili Lime Chicken Burger, refried black beans, spring mix w/shredded carrots, EVOO & balsamic, 1/4 large avocado, small serving butternut squash

W4D27S2   small serving butternut squash, green olives

W4D27S3   Justin's Maple Almond Butter

Food:   I have become someone who thinks cold butternut squash and green olives sounds like a good snack! Also... OMG, I'm so hungry! Can't wait to get off these pills. I am noshing my way through the leftover trip snacks.

With my cholesterol levels on the other hand, there were noticeable improvements. Both my total cholesterol and my triglycerides dropped about 30 points, moving me from borderline high to normal. Woot woot! I should note that this is with being on cholesterol medication, so there's still room for improvement. But I'm very pleased because I was worried that all the meat and eggs might raise my cholesterol.

My doctor said, "You are definitely on the right track. Keep following the low sugar, low carb diet and working on your weight. I think we will see the numbers improve..."

This is such GREAT news!  Keep up the good work!

W4D28M1   2 Kalua chicken thighs, butternut squash, blueberries, handful of nuts, coffee w/milk

W4D28M2   Bangkok Burrito: tofu, brown rice, spinach, cucumbers, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, peanut sauce, large tortilla

W4D28M3   4 Kalua chicken thighs, sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon, spinach w/EVOO & TJ's 21 Spice, melon slices & blueberries

W4D28M4   Kalua chicken thigh, 1/2 avocado

Food:   Late for work so bought a burrito that included tofu and brown rice. So carby! It looks like they offer "green burritos" (wrapped in some kind of lettuce leaf) which would be a better option next time. This is how I often ate before the Whole30 - lots of carbs and lower on the food chain. I do want to reincorporate tofu occasionally, but not both brown rice and a tortilla on the same day. I think it's fine though, really... I plan to have a template-style meal for dinner.

W5D29M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, butternut squash, heap of TJ's Cruciferous Crunch (kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts) w//EVOO & balsamic vinegar, Amaya Roasting Company Temporado coffee w/milk

W5D29M2   herb roasted salmon, steamed carrots, green beans, & broccoli, kale salad w/cranberries, almonds, & dressing, 1/2 Gingerberry Kombucha, 5 Hershey's minis

W5D29M3   pork belly (fat trimmed), 2 sweet potatoes w/ghee & cinnamon, grilled cauliflower

W5D29S1   100 Calorie cashews package, peanut butter

Food:   Pretty good day except for the chocolate. 

W5D30S1    Starbucks Venti Iced Soy Latte w/1/2 pkg. of raw sugar, sample of cinnamon bun

W5D30M1   2 Kalua chicken thighs, Applegate hot dog w/mustard, heap of TJ's Cruciferous Crunch (kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts) & cauliflower sauteed in EVOO

W5D30S2    green olives, baby carrots, 2 100 Calorie almond/cashew pkgs.

W5D30M2   lamb pop, goat cheese on flatbread, seared scallops, mushroom cauliflower "risotto", bites of grassfed steak, chocolate avocado mousse, bites of bread pudding & tres leches, coffee w/cream

W5D30S3    2 100 Calorie almond pkgs.

Food:   Went to a very nice paleo restaurant for dinner to celebrate my, my husband's, and my brother's birthday, which are all within 2 weeks of each other. It was fun to have an upscale meal that was totally paleo except for a bite of appetizer and a few bites of other people's desserts. Of course as my brother pointed out, my chocolate avocado mousse would not be considered Whole30 because of the sugar (it was very sweet), but it didn't have any flour, dairy, or other non-paleo ingredients.

Feelings:   I stepped back on the scale this morning to see the damage, and I've gained back 4 of the 7 pounds I lost during my Whole30 through inactivity and steroid-fueled appetite. I think the weight should start coming back off though once I get past the birthday celebration and am back to eating WholeJulie and exercising.

W5D31M1   2/3 of a 3 egg omelette w/chopped beef, onions, chives, mushrooms, green peppers, & picante sauce, hash browns w/ketchup, small serving of frijoles, coffee w/milk  

W5D31M2   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs w/spicy mustard, heap of cooked spinach w/EVOO & TJ's 21 Spice

W5D31M3   meatloaf w/tomato sauce, steamed broccoli, okra, wheat roll w/butter, coffee w/cream, navel orange

W5D31S1    2 turkey sticks, strawberries

Food:   A few non-paleo things at restaurants... about 1/2 cup of frijoles with breakfast and then a roll with butter at dinner.

Of course as my brother pointed out, my chocolate avocado mousse would not be considered Whole30 because of the sugar (it was very sweet), but it didn't have any flour, dairy, or other non-paleo ingredients.

Actually that avo-choc mousse is normally sweetened with dates rather than sugar so still Whole30 compliant, just SWYPO which isn't nearly so bad...  ;) 

**It is good though and one of my 'go to' recipes served along-side a rather decadent paleo chocolate cake when entertaining friends...!

**ETA: When I'm not doing Whole30 obviously!!

KABOOM! On Friday things went all to hell, and I'm just starting to pull it all back together. I left the first conference and hotel and traveled to my second conference and hotel. As I've mentioned before, I'm currently taking Prednisone for the residual effects of this sinus infection and asthma flareup. It can cause some really unpleasant side effects, including insomnia and anxiety. The latter is something I have an underlying issue with already, and Prednisone usually affects my mood negatively towards the end of an 8-day course. I was hoping that I would be able to begin tapering down while on my trip, but I didn't feel like my symptoms were under control enough to do so. By Friday mid-morning I was feeling irritable and down, and once I checked into my tiny windowless hotel room I began feeling very anxious and isolated away from my colleagues in a strange city, and had a panic attack. I decided to change my flight and go home that night instead of staying on for the second conference. It was a very expensive decision but I think it was the right one. I spent all day yesterday napping and reading with my cats. 

I also ATE ALL THE THINGS. I don't think there is much point in "tracking" but I'll mention what I ate from Friday night through early Sunday morning: a chocolate bar, a curried chicken sandwich, a cole slaw salad, a Larabar, 4 large slices of spinach deep dish pizza, a brownie, a donut. 

Julie, I'm so sorry your trip had to end that way.  Just bad timing having to be on the meds.  It's a new day and I hope you can chill out with the kitties and get back to feeling well.  Best wishes!

W5D32M1   1 1/2 slices turkey, roasted brussels sprouts, apple w/hearty amount of cashew butter, coffee w/milk

W5D32M2   1 1/2 slices turkey, roasted brussels sprouts w/EVOO, butternut squash w/cinnamon, Gingerberry Kombucha, 2 squares dark chocolate

W5D32M3   meatballs, French bread slice, baby potatoes w/mayo, garden salad: lettuce, red onions, cucumbers, cauliflower, sprouts, & carrots w/red pepper vinaigrette

Food:   Saw the ingredients for the plain roast turkey I've been getting at the grocery on Sunday mornings and it's full of artificial crap.  :(

Feelings:   Pleased that a pound has already come back off from my weight gain.

jmcbn, since it was at a restaurant, I don't know what recipe they used or what they sweetened it with. It looks like there are similar recipes that use things like agave nectar. But good to know there is a recipe with dates.

Thank you, Donna! I am feeling much better and had a great Fourth of July weekend.  :D

Britt, it was not even lunch meat! It was thick slices of turkey, like from a cooked turkey breast, in their hot foods case. But it has the same kind of crap that groceries put in their rotisserie chickens. Really eye-opening that not even an innocent piece of turkey breast is plain!

And thanks for the encouragement. I'm seeing some areas that I need to clean up, like snacks and the chocolate that is creeping back in, but I feel like I've been pretty good at sticking with the template model.

W5D33M1   3 eggs, heirloom grape tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, & baby spinach sauteed in pork belly fat

W5D33M2   tuna fish, herb salad greens, heirloom grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, pkg. of cashews

W5D33M3   2 bowls of TJ's Seafood Blend (shrimp, calamari, & scallops) sauteed in coconut oil w/Asian vegetables, coconut milk, & curry powder, Gingerberry Kombucha, 2 new potatoes wghee 

Food:   A super solid day.

W5D34M1   3 large meatballs w/tomato sauce, broccoli & kale slaw w/almonds & cranberries, 2/3 small pretzel roll, coffee w/milk

W5D34M2   TJ's Seafood Blend (shrimp, calamari, & scallops) & mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice

W5D34M3   2 hamburger patties w/ketchup, green beans w/ghee, 3 small beets, a juicy peach, 100 Calorie almond pkg.

W5D34S1    hard-boiled egg white, handful of olives

Food:   I totally forgot that meatloaf and meatballs have breadcrumbs in them! It's not that big a deal since I'm allowed to have wheat on my WholeJulie, but I want to know when I'm doing it! My breakfast had more wheat than I would choose to eat at one meal. 

Almost made it with 3 meals again today, but got hungry late at night.

Flow:   My car has been in the shop so I've had some short walks yesterday and today, which has felt really good.

Feelings:   Very grateful to be healthy again after so long.

W5D35M1   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, baby spinach w/EVOO, small serving green beans, 4 small beets

W5D35M2   2 pkg. (6 oz.) Wild Planet tuna fish, herb salad, heirloom grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, banana

W5D35S1    deli turkey roll-ups, 2 Bite Size Brownies

W4D35M3   shredded chicken, huge green salad, peanut dressing

W4D35M4   shredded chicken, huge green salad, peanut dressing

Food:   I went to a professional meeting after work. I forgot my Epic Bar in the car. Made a good move by taking some tortilla roll-ups and removing the tortilla, but let myself be seduced by a couple of Bite Size Brownies. I need to stay away from these little treats.

W6D36M1    4 turkey sausage patties, potatoes w/bell peppers & onion, 2 plantains, coffee w/cream

W6D36M2    salmon, sweet teriyaki sauce, 1/2 cup of brown rice, bell peppers, cabbage salad w/vinaigrette, 3 Hershey's minis

W6D36M3    2 hot dogs (Applegate & Hebrew National), large-ish serving of sauerkraut, sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon

W6D36S1     4 chocolate coconut bite-size candies, 1/2 slice cheese pizza, Larabar

Food:   I didn't even want to track today; I was so embarrassed about my choices! I will say that we are completely out of groceries; I picked up my first two meals from Whole Foods prepared section, and they were not composed very well. (Low on veggies, sweet sauce on the salmon). I believe that and being tired led to bad choices. I am also wondering if loosening up on added sugars and bringing some Diet Cokes back into my diet has gotten me eating chocolate occasionally. Instead of crying over spilled candy, I'm going to go make a shopping list for DH so I can get back on track tomorrow.

W6D37M1    Chik-fil-a chicken patty, coleslaw, fruit cup, sunflower seed bagel 

W6D37M2    Freshii Ninja Wrap (steak, spinach, romaine, cabbage, edamame, carrots, cucumbers, cilantro, & Asian sesame dressing in collard green wrap), KIND bar

W6D37M3    cold shrimp w/ketchup & horseradish, sugar snap peas w/mayo, watermelon sticks, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice

Food:   Nothing in the house for breakfast or lunch. The coleslaw was gross, but otherwise breakfast on the run was okay. I was very pleased with my "green wrap" for lunch. I wanted to get some nuts at the campus store, but all they had was giant packages of peanuts and trail mix, which I knew I would polish off by the end of the day, so I just grabbed a KIND bar that was mostly nuts even though it had 9 grams of sugar.

Yay! I'm home now and DH did the grocery shopping. Lots of protein, produce, and seasonal fruit on hand!

W6D38M1   G Whey Protein Bar Chocolate Chip, Starbuck's Grande Iced Soy Latte w/raw sugar

W6D38M2   2 1/2 TJ's chicken apple sausages, sugar snap peas w/mayo, pumpkin w/dollop of coconut milk & cinnamon

W6D38M3   2 hard boiled eggs w/rosemary & garlic, TJ's 21 Spice, 1/2 TJ's chicken apple sausage, handful of green olives, watermelon sticks

W6D38M4   2 ground lamb patties w/ketchup, TJ's mushroom mix w/EVOO & garlic, pumpkin w/dollop of coconut cream

Food:   I overslept for dance class so grabbed my former Saturday on-the-go breakfast, a protein bar. It tasted just like a candy bar! So gross. Basically it's a candy bar with whey protein powder in it. Even when I make a bad choice, I'm trying to use it as feedback for WholeJulie eating. It is evening now and I have to say I think I made a nice recovery after starting off the day with a sugar bomb. OMG, the ground lamb was sooooo good. I seasoned it with some rosemary and garlic spice and broiled it as patties. It was nice to have a different protein for a change.

Flow:   Did 40 minutes of Nia dance today, yay!

Feelings:   I think I will be doing another Whole30 at the end of the summer or early fall. I have more work to do on my sugar monster, and I would like to find out how the program goes when I'm not sick during most of it. It wouldn't be all that much different from how I'm eating now anyway, save chocolate that I'm not supposed to be eating anyway, and convenience choices like milk in my coffee or rice with a prepared lunch.

W6D39M1   2 TJ's chicken apple sausages, 1/2 ground lamb patty, roasted brussels sprouts w/EVOO, Gala apple w/hearty almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

W6D39M2   2 1/2 ground lamb patties, roasted brussels sprouts w/EVOO, TJ's mixed mushrooms w/EVOO

W6D39M3   2 ground lamb patties, sweet potatoes w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, cantaloupe chunks

Archived