HELP! my mayo is green

Looks like I didn't get the "don't use EVOO" memo with the mayo... lol my mayonnaise is green.

I start my Whole30 tomorrow.  And it is not good.

Anyone ever use grapeseed oil in the mayo?  That's the only other compliant oil I have on hand... I COULD run to the store quick if anyone feels really strongly about another kind.

Help, please!  Feeling like I'm failing already....

• Moderators

Light olive oil is the best choice unless you want to spend extra money on avocado oil or macadamia nut oil. And avocado oil will have a greenish tinge.

Grapeseed oil might taste okay in mayo, but it is high in omega 6 fatty acids and not a good choice in mayo or cooking. I used it years ago before I knew better. 

I've made green mayo before - not good :)  I get Avocado oil at Costco for a reasonable price.  I use half avocado oil and half light tasting olive oil in my mayo and it's yummy.  The Chosen Foods Brand Avocado oil is clear and does not have a strong taste.  It's also good for cooking at temperatures up to 500 degrees.

thank you both so much!  I went back to the grocery store and found a small bottle of light tasting EVOO and my mayo turned out fantastic!  JulieP, thanks for the Costco tip- didnt even think to look there.  I'll be stopping by tonight after work!!  :)

I made olive oil this week with extra virgin olive oil, by itself it tasted very "olivey" but once I mixed it with other ingredients to make my dressings and sauces I didn't notice it as much. I'm still thinking of checking out light olive oil for my next batch though.

My first mayo attempt was a flop.  I had to throw it out along with the ranch dressing I made with it.  Next time I used an immersion blender, light tasting olive oil, made sure my egg was a room temperature and it came out super creamy and delicious.  Good luck.  It gets easier as you go along.  I just completed day 11 and I'm slowly getting in to the groove.

Other than spending extra money (which is fun, lol, jk), the reason to use avocado or macadamia nut oil is that those oils are better choices from a health perspective. Saturated fat would be even better, but it doesn't hold well (goes solid in the fridge). I have found I can do a mixture of 1/2 cup melted coconut oil and 1/2 cup avocado oil and make a fantastic mayo that stays creamy when cold. That's my recommendation, not just because it works and it tastes great, but also because I'm getting the healthiest fat I can get in this format.

ps. My recipe also uses 2 egg yolks and one whole egg (and 1 T acid and 1 t mustard and 1t salt). I'm not sure if the extra egg yolks play a role in keeping it creamy, but they might.

Mine is just one egg, tbls+ apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, granulated garlic 1 cup light olive oil.. I place ingredients in that order in a masson jar and use stick blender.. 

I'm liking the vinegar better than lemon juice

Other than spending extra money (which is fun, lol, jk), the reason to use avocado or macadamia nut oil is that those oils are better choices from a health perspective. Saturated fat would be even better, but it doesn't hold well (goes solid in the fridge). I have found I can do a mixture of 1/2 cup melted coconut oil and 1/2 cup avocado oil and make a fantastic mayo that stays creamy when cold. That's my recommendation, not just because it works and it tastes great, but also because I'm getting the healthiest fat I can get in this format.

ps. My recipe also uses 2 egg yolks and one whole egg (and 1 T acid and 1 t mustard and 1t salt). I'm not sure if the extra egg yolks play a role in keeping it creamy, but they might.

I attmpted a coconut oil/avocado oil blend in the past for mayo and ended up with mayo that was delicious when fresh made, but then broken after refridgeration. I'm assuming the issue was the coconut oil. My mayo only used one whole egg though so maybe the additional yolks are necessary. Maybe something to experiment with.

My current blend for mayo is 1/2 cup avocado oil, 1/2 cup walnut oil, 1 whole egg, tsp prepared mustard, heavy pinch of salt, and pinch of cayenne. I save my tablespoon of vinegar for the end and just stir it in after my mayo is thick and creamy.

Archived