Red Wine Vinegar in Sauce

AUWingsFan

Hi! In the rules I read that red wine vinegar is fine as long as it doesn't contain sugar. My question is about red wine vinegar used as an ingredient in a spaghetti sauce.

I purchased two sauces from Trader Joe's today; one is their "roasted garlic spaghetti sauce" and the other a marinara. Both seem to be compliant, but I worry about the red wine vinegar listed in the roasted garlic sauce. If the vinegar used contained sugar, would they have to list sugar on the label? If not, will it be safe to assume the the red wine vinegar didn't have sugar so the sauce is compliant? I'm attaching the label in case any of you pros can help me know whether or not it was a good buy. Thanks!

post-72350-0-01926900-1434847365_thumb.j

• Moderators

The problem is added sulphites in vinegars, not sugar. Sulphites are a strong gut irritant that are often included in cheaper products. While a product like spaghetti sauce might include a vinegar that includes added sulphites, we don't pursue things that far. You do not need to contact the manufacturer to learn about the ingredients of the vinegar. The sauce of the label you included in fine for a Whole30. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I have a recipe that calls for some red wine vinegar. I bought a bottle of organic rao's red wine vinegar and the ingredient list is red wine vinegar, contains sulfites naturally occurring from raw materials. Is this ok?

Yes. As long as the sulfites are naturally occurring, it's fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Mrs Marks, we hesitate to recommend brands on the forum because formulations can change from region to region and even from one week to the next if the manufacturer changes their suppliers.  Check out the red wine vinegars in your store, I can nearly guarantee you'll be able to find one.

Archived