Drinking water

I've done a couple whole 30s and now basically eat whole30 with the exception of maybe a few things on occasion- going out to eat or a random indulgence. However I've noticed from the beginning of my first whole 30 and continuing on how thirsty I always am. I do drink plenty of water - about four liters a day and typically a La Croix as well somewhere in the day, oh and a cup of coffee, but it seems like during or after every meal I need a couple of big glasses of water to really quench my thirst. I read somewhere a while back it was because of the meat and how difficult it is to break that down in your body. I know some people criticize whole30 for the meat content but the book rationalizes the offset with the large amounts of plant based food.

I guess I'm just wondering if other people feel this thirsty all the time- maybe it's just not feeding my body the other crap that I used to that this is what my body needs to do to keep itself hydrated?

Thirst can often be a indication of low sodium which I know sounds counter-productive.... Are you salting your food?

You could also add in a digestive enzyme to break down the animal proteins if you were eating them in smaller volume pre Whole30. I'd have thought that your gut would have adjusted by now, but it's possible you just need some additional help.

I do salt my food, pretty generously actually.  Could I be over doing the salt?  I just do a 'heavy' shake on my eggs, on my salad greens for lunch and maybe a shake on my veggies for dinner.

Hmmm. You *could* be over-salting - I guess the only way to know would be to cut back.

Are you finding an increased need for the loo too along with the thirst?

Have you gone very low carb?

• Administrators

Four litres of water seems like a lot but it's really not that excessive. When the noise of an inflammatory diet is reduced we can sometimes hear our body signals better. It may not be that you are more thirsty now than you were but that you are hearing your body's signal for what it is. Perhaps previously instead of drinking water you were snacking?

On the other hand, excessive thirst that is not relieved can be a sign of certain medical conditions so if you are worried you should always consult a doctor.

I'm not super concerned about a medical issue because it doesn't seem the thirst isn't 'relieved' per se, just that I feel thirsty and want to quench that.  I think ladyshanny might be right that I probably used to snack and now I 'can't' reach for that so I reach for my water bottle instead!  I will say that my urine is nice and clear!

Also - the exercise is probably a culprit and I didn't think of that - I do work out regularly, usually outside running for about 45 min to an hour, I guess if you factor that in and my body weight is about 130, I'm probably right at the normal amount of water to be drinking.... it just seems like a lot because it's more than I used to drink... and also I used to drink diet soda, so replacing that with actual water is a good thing :)

Thanks everyone!

Question about the low-carb thing though... why would that factor in for thirst?  I don't think I'm too low carb.  I do at least one serving (typically 2) of starchy veggies everyday (usually sweet potatoes, butternut squash or red potatoes) and also do a serving of fruit (blueberries typically) with breakfast.  My workouts are decent and I don't feel low energy, so I think my carbs are high enough.

I eat lunch right after my workout so I've never done a post-WO meal, just increased my meal two size, but yes I do have starchy carbs at this meal.  Question about ketosis- I do notice my urine is fairly odd smelling despite being pale/clear - is that a symptom of ketosis?

Question about ketosis- I do notice my urine is fairly odd smelling despite being pale/clear - is that a symptom of ketosis?

Yes. it's been described as fruity, sickly sweet, or just "different" and smelly, but yes, it is a symptom.

Ok, so yeah I'm definitely in ketosis, wow, I really thought I ate quite a bit of starchy carbs to offset this.... ketosis is not great long term, right?  Anything besides starchy carbs and fruit to fix this?

Yep, your body would have a requirement for starchy carbs postWO anyways, so if this is the only starchy veg it's getting then that's not enough. I'm no keto expert but I believe sweet potato is your best bet - try adding some in to at least another meal over the next few days.

Will do, I LOVE sweet potatoes anyways (my daughter recently filled out a survey at school and listed them as my favorite food, haha, all the other moms had ice cream or pizza listed and I had sweet potatoes, love it!).... so it's no problem to up the quantity of them :)

Archived