Jenny Brown Whole30 Log_Started July 1st

Jenny B

Hey, Jenny - another vote for Kombucha. So far I like every variety of GT's that I've tried. Like it so much I'm starting to brew my own to save some $$. At $4.00/bottle buying is is no longer cost effective. Don't be scared of fermented foods. They're a wonderful source for natural probiotics. If the yeast particles squeeb you out, you can always strain it into a glass.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 17!  WOO HOO!  I am really struggling right now. I need some variety in my breakfast for sure.  I am going to make something else over the weekend to eat for Meal 1. I don't think I am quite ready to jump into the whole steak with grilled veggies for Meal 1, but definitely need to figure out something. I had eggs again this morning and I actually could not get them all down. I love eggs, but I need a break from every morning.  I will figure something out. 

Meal #1: Maybe 2 1/2 eggs with onions and jalapenos, tomatoes and some strawberries

Meal#2: Grilled chicken with grilled veggies (squash, zuchinni, red potatoes, onions and peppers). Watermelon

Meal#3: Taco Salad

Day 17!  WOO HOO!  I am really struggling right now. I need some variety in my breakfast for sure.  I am going to make something else over the weekend to eat for Meal 1. I don't think I am quite ready to jump into the whole steak with grilled veggies for Meal 1, but definitely need to figure out something. I had eggs again this morning and I actually could not get them all down. I love eggs, but I need a break from every morning.  I will figure something out. 

Meal #1: Maybe 2 1/2 eggs with onions and jalapenos, tomatoes and some strawberries

Meal#2: Grilled chicken with grilled veggies (squash, zuchinni, red potatoes, onions and peppers). Watermelon

Meal#3: Taco Salad

Do you like curries? A nice chicken curry with lots of veg (I like cauliflower and potato) is very comforting in the morning. And a very nice break from eggs.  This is when food boredom starts to hit for sure, so good on you for recognizing it!

Do you like curries? A nice chicken curry with lots of veg (I like cauliflower and potato) is very comforting in the morning. And a very nice break from eggs.  This is when food boredom starts to hit for sure, so good on you for recognizing it!

Thanks, Jen!  Unfortunately I do not like curry flavoring.  I will figure it out I am sure!  LOL!

I made scotch eggs from The Clothes Make The Girl, they are hard boiled eggs wrapped in ground meat - usually pork. I used pork per the recipe but you could do ground chicken or turkey even. We had them for breakfast this morning and will be for the rest of the week. One, plus my veg and a bit of sweet potato filled me up. They were easy to make, and are great because they are quick and portable.

I made scotch eggs from The Clothes Make The Girl, they are hard boiled eggs wrapped in ground meat - usually pork. I used pork per the recipe but you could do ground chicken or turkey even. We had them for breakfast this morning and will be for the rest of the week. One, plus my veg and a bit of sweet potato filled me up. They were easy to make, and are great because they are quick and portable.

Thanks!  I will look this up.  I made a frittata over the weekend.  It isn't wonderful, but definitely something a little different.

Day 20! WOW!  I am pretty proud of myself so far.  I had a great weekend.  My grumpiness went a way.  Day 15/16 just were not good for me. That is okay, I feel good now and renewed.  I got out of the house and had lunch out on Saturday. I have not ventured out to eat, because I just don't want to eat something that is non-compliant.  So, my mom and I went to Jason's Deli.  I got a side salad and some fruit.  I asked about their grilled chicken breast. The manager came over and said she didn't know if it contained sugar because they do not make them there.  She could grab the box. I said no, if they are shipped in I probably don't want them anyway. So got a nice salad loaded with veggies and some egg for protein!  It was so good. What is it about salad that tastes so much better when someone else chops everything?  LOL!  It was nice just to get out.  I prepped yesterday.  I made Mexican chicken soup, beef stew, and 2 whole chickens in my roaster!  YUMMY! I have to say on Saturday morning I was not going to have an egg.  So, I shredded a potato and squeezed all the water out.  I put those in some bacon grease on the stove top.  I had potatoes with green onions, bacon, tomatoes and some strawberries.  Not the best meal but it was tasty and compliant!

Meal#1: Frittata, with jalapenos, onions, sweet peppers, bacon, potatoes

Meal#2: Beef Stew and watermelon

Meal#3: I don't know yet, maybe chicken and a salad.

I am the same way about salads! Other people's salads are amazing! Mine? Not so much. For your protein in the morning what about ground turkey with sausage spices mixed in? It's not heavy and meaty and it's not eggs. I made some into patties but you don't even have to do that. Google, skinnytaste.com homemade sausage and the recipe should come up. I left out a couple of non compliant ingredients and they were still great.

We are still liking the scotch eggs, but the Turkey sausage is better I think.

J9er - I could probably do the ground meat.  I will give that a try. Should be pretty simple to whip that up and keep on hand. 

Day 21. I am still really in awe that I have made it to Day 21. I  usually give up when it comes to changing the way I eat. I feel pretty good.  Last night I ended up eating a salad with chicken. It was so good, since it is 100 degrees here (Dallas area).

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of compliant bacon, shredded potatoes with green onions, and strawberries.  yes, the veggies were lacking this morning.

Meal#2: Taco salad.  Beef with spices, lettuce and homemade pico

Meal#3: Probably chicken with some grilled veggies.

Good morning, Whole30 friends!  Day 22!  WOW!  I am feeling pretty good. I didn't sleep well last night, so I really was not ready to get out of bed and go to work today.  But since they hand me a paycheck twice a month I got out of bed!  LOL!  My husband complimented me this morning.  He said he can notice a difference in my weight, and that he is really proud of me for sticking to this (especially while he chows down on ice cream and Ramen)!  Doesn't gain a pound.  Must be nice!  Ha!

Meal#1: Leftover grilled veggies (zucchini, squash, onions, peppers, red potatoes), 2 eggs, 1 piece of bacon, tomatoes

Meal#2: Mexican Chicken Soup (tomatoes, peppers, carrots, celery, onions, chicken,etc.) side of tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon

Meal#3: Haven't planned this one yet. Thinking it might be a burger. 

WOO HOO DAY 24!!!!!  One week to go!  Super busy at work yesterday, and then life in the evening.  No time to post!  I am feeling pretty good!  I am still not sleeping great. I feel like I have a lot of dreams now. Almost like I am awake but still asleep.  Maybe just too much on my mind, or some weird side affect.  :huh:   I really cannot believe that I only have a week left of the Whole30. While I will not continue on this restrictive I will definitely be keeping most of it in my meal plans. I have always loved to cook, so the cooking in the evening doesn't really bother me. I don't feel like I branched out enough in my vegetables, so I am going to pick some new ones up this weekend. Maybe some butternut squash and brussel sprouts.  I can at least try them and see what I think.  I tried sweet potatoes again, but still not my thing. 

Yesterday's meals

Meal#1: Scrambled egg type hash (potatoes, eggs, bacon, eggs, tomatoes and peppers) strawberries.

Meal#2: Chicken and salad - was rushed at work but it did keep me full (Chicken, 1 piece of compliant bacon, sunflower seed as garnish, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and cucumbers with oil/vinegar)

Meal#3: Pork chops on the grill, roasted potatoes with onions and garlic and a side salad (Tessemae's balsamic vinegar dressing - YUMMY) watermelon

Today:

Meal#: Scrambled egg type hash (potatoes, eggs, bacon, eggs, tomatoes and peppers) strawberries.

Meal#3: Leftover pork chops/potatoes. Side of cucumbers and sweet peppers. Watermelon

Meal#3: Probably leftover hamburgers with grilled onions on top with some sort of veggie.

Been a busy weekend! First chance to post. Day 26 and feeling amazing. I FINALLY went to the gym today. Although I did not prepare a pre or post workout meal. I had meal 2 and then 30 minutes later went to the gym. I was starving later so I had some almonds.  Not the best.  Definitely will work on that!  So, as I think I mentioned earlier in my posts - my mom started the Whole30 2 days after me.  Well, her and my Dad were driving down to Houston today to visit my brother and the grandkids (8 and 5). So, she said she is going to try and stay on plan, but obviously staying at someone's house and they are cooking it might be a little difficult. However, my brother is pretty healthy so hopefully she will be able to stay compliant. But she decided to weigh before she left so she knew what 3 whole weeks have done. She is feeling amazing at 70 years young and she lost 9 lbs. She didn't really have much to lose I didn't think. So she is sitting at 138 and she is 5'4". I am so proud of her. She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years ago. She is not insulin dependent but does take a pill everyday. She has been monitoring her blood sugar and it is doing really well. Hopefully she might be able to get rid of those pills eventually!

I am going to start reading the reintroduction portion of the book again. I don't think I need to reintroduce legumes because I don't eat any type of bean.  Don't like them.  I can make due without peanut butter and soy I think.  I never ate much of it anyway.So I don't think those are a big staple of my diet and have no issues but will read up on it again.

Meal#1: Shredded homemade potatoes with green onions, tomatoes, 1 egg, 2 pieces of compliant bacon and some strawberries

Meal#2: Leftover filet from the night before with some grilled veggies

Meal#3: Taco salad.  

What are you most looking forward to reintroducing? Just wondering :-)

Hmm, I don't think there is a particular group that I am looking forward to introducing. Before I was a die hard coke fan. Now I am kind of scared to try it again.  The only thing I really miss is being able to have pizza. LOL!  That has a little bit of everything I can't have!  I have a happy hour on Friday night that is with a bunch of people I use to work with. We try and get together 1 or twice a year.  I will probably have a glass of wine. I am not a big drinker so that won't be an issue either.  I do think Dairy is what has given me issues in the past with constipation and diarrhea.  So, I interested in reintroducing it so see if that is the case.  Although, maybe it is gluten.  LOL! Who knows!  I am excited to see!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Well maybe on Day 30 you can have these for M1.  I saw this recipe a year or so ago and though "blch, no thank you".  But out of desperation and a feeling that I.can.not.eat.any.more.eggs I made them.  Holy delicious.  

My variation (can't eat onions, don't want to open a can of coconut milk for a few tbsp)

20 oz package of 93/7 ground turkey

1.5 cups-ish blueberries (fresh) - maybe 2/3 of a pint

1 tsp dried sage

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried fenugreek (adds a maple flavor, if you've never had it)

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

14 g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

I make 5 mini-loaves out of this (on parchment paper).  I bake it at 375 for 25-30 minutes/temp of 160 or so.  

Well maybe on Day 30 you can have these for M1.  I saw this recipe a year or so ago and though "blch, no thank you".  But out of desperation and a feeling that I.can.not.eat.any.more.eggs I made them.  Holy delicious.  

My variation (can't eat onions, don't want to open a can of coconut milk for a few tbsp)

20 oz package of 93/7 ground turkey

1.5 cups-ish blueberries (fresh) - maybe 2/3 of a pint

1 tsp dried sage

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried fenugreek (adds a maple flavor, if you've never had it)

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

14 g coconut flour (about 2 tbsp)

I make 5 mini-loaves out of this (on parchment paper).  I bake it at 375 for 25-30 minutes/temp of 160 or so.  

Interesting!  I might give it a try!  Thank you!

Dairy is prob what I miss most. I love yogurt and skinny lattes from Starbucks. But I also think it contributes to my issues with constipation. Might be worth it though after 30 days.... :-)

I don't drink coffee, so no worries on the skinny lattes for me!  Sometimes I did smoothies, so it would be nice to have that option. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, gives me issues.

At the beginning of this journey I couldn't wait for all of the bad stuff.  Now, I am like hmm do I really want it! We will see how strong I am !

So my reintroduction schedule will look something like this.  So, I guess I will be doing a Whole31 or Whole32.  LOL!  I would rather go out to breakfast with my husband on Saturday or Sunday.  They have a farmers skillet that I know has butter and some cheese.  So, that is why I am skipping Friday as reintroduction. So is popcorn a Non Gluten Grain? Anyone know the answer to that question?

Saturday:                             Dairy (Butter, Cheese, Yogurt, Ice Cream)

Sunday/Monday:                  Compliant

Tuesday:                              Non Gluten Grains (Corn Tortilla Chips, Corn, Rice. Popcorn??)

Wednesday/Thursday:         Complaint

Friday:                                  Legumes (Peanut Butter, Soy)

Saturday/Sunday:                 Compliant

Monday:                                Gluten Grains (Whole Wheat Bread, Regular Pasta)

Tuesday/Wednesday            Compliant

Sunday:                                Dairy (Butter, Cheese, Yogurt, Ice Cream)

Monday/Tuesday:                 Compliant

Wednesday:                         Non Gluten Grains (Corn Tortilla Chips, Corn, Rice, Popcorn??)

Thursday/Friday:                  Compliant

Saturday:                              Legumes (Peanut Butter, Soy)

Sunday/Monday:                  Compliant

Tuesday:                              Gluten Grains (Whole Wheat Bread, Regular Pasta)

Wednesday/Thursday:         Compliant

Hey! Just wanted to come and cheer you on since you have been so supportive to me! 

You're almost there and it looks like you've been doing awesome. I'll be sending tons of support your way for reintro, that's where I always start to slip up... hoping to have more willpower after this round!

Hey! Just wanted to come and cheer you on since you have been so supportive to me! 

You're almost there and it looks like you've been doing awesome. I'll be sending tons of support your way for reintro, that's where I always start to slip up... hoping to have more willpower after this round!

Thank you !!!

Archived