Going hiking...what would do well on a hot day?

mccat97

Hello Fellow W30 friends!

I am going to be going on a hike during my last week of the July W30, and was wondering what I could pack for a meal when we stop for lunch.  I live in New England, so the chances are high that temperatures will be in the 80's. Everything I eat on W30 seems very fragile (because of its freshness), so I'm stumped as to what might travel well. Thank you!

Guest Andria

Are you able to pack an insulated lunch bag?  You really have plenty of options: olives or nuts for fat (I am not a fan of nuts as a fat source on a regular basis, but in this situation they would work), tinned fish or chicken (or foil packs as mentioned above), Epic bar (check ingredients, some contain sugar) or ChompSticks (i.e., compliant jerky), raw veggies (carrot sticks, radish, cherry tomatoes), cold roasted sweet potato, salt.

Tougher veggies like raw carrots, radish, and broccoli or cooked veggies like green beans or asparagus should be able to hold up to the heat. Whole fruits like apples, oranges, or anything else whole and in its peel should also be fine. In terms of produce, the only thing I would really worry about with the heat is salad greens.

If packed where it won't be squished, an avocado should also be good to go for your hike. As for protein, I think the above folks have given some good suggestions. If you have an insulated lunch bag then the sky is really the limit as to what you can pack. Well, the sky and available bag space, that is.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Are you doing the Whites?  Jealous - I'm near the ADKs, but the Whites are so much nicer!

I'm a pretty avid hiker.  Paleo wise I always bring a block of good, raw cheddar, but that is out for W30.  Too bad - its tasty :)

W30 wise... for a day trip I usually bring the following kinds of things:

baked sweet potato, cooked chicken sausage, snap peas, cooked hamburger patty, apples, oranges, baby carrots, dried fruit, coconut butter, bananas - really just the kind of food I eat normally I guess :)  

I just did Greylock in MA - it was 13 mi RT I think with about 3k elevation.  Took me 5 hrs.  I ate breakfast before going.  I carried a bag of baby carrots (maybe 8 oz, whatever was left in my 24 oz bag in the fridge), 2 apples, 2 left over hamburgers (4 oz patties, raw), a scoop of coconut butter.  I salted the heck out of the hamburger patties since on W30 sodium is kinda low.  I was hungry when I finished but felt energized for the whole hike.  

If I were really concerned about the heat I'd freeze a plastic water bottle and then pack my food in a plastic bag or two around the water bottle.  For a normal day trip I wouldn't be worried about the heat - nothing will go that bad in just a few hours.  

Archived