Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Happy day 4 everyone. Day 3 went well, I had a mild headache when I went to bed, but that might've been due to the all the drunks I was around last night! ( My husband might be enjoying my being designated driver a little too much) Seltzer for me last night, so much so I had to get up twice during the night....

Today is starting out great! I'm not saying "cause and effect" yet, but I played the best tennis ever this morning! True, my mixed doubles partner and I lost. But we should've been beaten handily. We lost 1–6, 6–3, 7–5. That first set we took was soooo much fun. I am the happiest loser ever!!!! Enjoying my post workout snack of hard-boiled egg and sweet potato. Have lots to do today, no time to think about killing things, but all seems to be going well this time around. Wishing everyone in the United States a happy Labor Day weekend, and our team friends from other countries a lovely weekend as well. Stay true to the plan, let's keep this train rolling all the way!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Vozelle...my goal is in constant revision, but the overarching goal of getting in some daily yoga is happening!  I decided to focus on that, given the first day when I realized that the timing was not in my favor for doing the full hour practice I really wanted in the morning.  In my math there is always enough time to get things done in the morning no matter when I get up, but in reality...not so much.  I may have to shuffle this to evenings sometimes, and while I can do yoga and then sleep...the step count part was not as sleep friendly.  So while I'm still walking...of course, and getting a step count of some kind each day I'm not going to try and put specific goals on that and instead focus on daily yoga in some form!  So I pulled out all of my old videos and some new ones and came up with a number of different combinations/lengths to try and account for all scenarios.

Here is a recap:

Day 1 - Hour morning session with a beginner practice, was waaay too slow and didn't push me at all.  I became frustrated with the detailed explanations of basic poses and the length of time I felt I was just standing there waiting to do something.  

Day 2 - Hour morning session with an old favorite, much better pacing and challenge. 

Day 3 - Realized "much better pacing and challenge" was now translated into OUCH!  What the heck, that didn't hurt at all while I was doing it!  Ran through a series of sun salutations to stretch out in the morning but kept it very low impact.  Did a half hour PM session last night.

Day 4 - Full disclosure it was a total Namast-ay in bed morning.  Plan is to do the hour challenge session tonight and see how I do on an evening practice and bedtime when I can sleep in the next day if it keeps me too juiced to sleep.  The half hour last night didn't seem to bother me but it was also a far gentler practice and I want to push that a bit more.  I don't mind ramping up to it, but I don't want to settle for a nightly practice that is so gentle it's not really doing anything to further my goals.

Trying to stay focused on my meal plan today, but I got some exciting news yesterday.  I'm going to be free this year to participate in Extra Life, it's a charity event that sponsors your choice of Children's Hospitals.  Those of you who did June with me may remember I'm a bit of a gamer, so understand this isn't like your usual walkathon where people sponsor you to walk or run and the money goes to a charity.  So what I'm about to say is really NOT a Whole30 type event, LOL!  Extra Life is a 24-hour video (or traditional) game marathon where sponsors pledge to support you for each hour you play.  I guess this could be Whole30 if you did 24 hours on a Wii maybe?!  I personally accept donations in both cash or coffee because I like to think in the end this is just as physically demanding as a 5K walk at least.  ;)   I haven't been able to do one for years because they always hold them on the weekend that the time changes and that's inventory season for me.  (I work for a hospital and my department runs the system end of inventories and reports the financials, I usually work with the auditors to explain the process and help them navigate the departments...not quite as boring as counting, but even more weekend hours!)

All I want to do today is work on my fundraising plans, thankfully we have a long weekend so I can hash out a meal plan and a bake sale and be back to focused by Tuesday! 

Sharing this recipe which I may be doing for Meal 1 next week, it's not an egg-free option but it might be a little something different for those of you looking for inspiration.  http://grokgrub.com/2013/06/10/recipe-sweet-potato-quiche/  I've not made it before, so can't review, but it sounds good!

Day 6 here and feeling good. Someone talked about dreaming....mine have been crazy! Eating ice cream cones I've stolen from children!

Roasted some poblano a the other day and then dumped them in the crock pot with a chuck roast. OMG! Put that over green beans....hello happiness. Slowly beginning to tell friends and coworkers about this new journey. Some are happy for me, others disdainful or dismissive. Hmmm guess I know which ones to weed out

Stopped at Chino farms on the wY home from work and bought some amazing heirloom tomatoes they must weigh 1 1/2 pounds each and were yummy

Yesterday's menu

M1 up at 4:15 work at 5 am so choked down a breakfast egg muffin

M2 crockpot poblano beef over massive plate of green beans with diced tomatoes and a peach

M3 ribeye steak huge plate of broccoli those heirloom tomatoes with avocado mayo

Feeling a bit off kilter today but this mornings breakfast will right that......heirloom tomato slices, shredded sweet potato hash browns, leftover ribeye and one fried egg. Yum!,

Keep going everyone. We can do this

For those with tinnitus : I did some reading. All the foods that we are eating should help and the foods that we are giving up are some of the biggest problems that exacerbate tinnitus. The only thing I read was that salt could also be a problem. We don't get much salt from our whole foods, but if you're adding a lot of extra salt maybe think about that. The main nonfood problem I can see is stress. Stress is both a cause of tinnitus and can make existing tinnitus worse. Taking on the challenge such as a Whole 30 is certainly a bit of a stressor. So that might be the cause of a little bit of a worsening problem here. Perhaps the further we go, the stress will start to melt away!

Of course there are many other causes of tinnitus besides foods and stress. So anyone with a new or sudden worsening of the problem that doesn't go away should probably get this checked out by a doctor.

Okay. Day 4 and I feel really sick. My stomach was crampy and gassy this morning. I feel sweaty. Only manage a 55 slow walk for my workout. I feel a bit nauseous.

I feel like my diet was not that bad before. I am shocked I feel so sick.

Is this a normal response?

Female 5"4 168 lbs 40 years. Pretty active.

Speaking of Dreams:  I had one that I ate a big ol' cinnamon roll smothered in icing!  And then realized it was not Whole 30 but said the hell with it and then drank a soda??  I can understand the cinnamon roll, since it is a weakness, but the coke, silly dreams!  Sugar IS a Drug!  

Thanks for the tips on adding more FAT!  I had clarified butter in my coffee this morning (is that allowed?)  I figured since both things are, why not together!  And in addition to leftover chocolate chili from dinner last night, my husband took a potato with clarified butter in his lunch today.  We will see how that does with getting him full.

I haven't figured out how to reply to a reply...

@vozelle : on the weekdays my husband and I usually wake up separately and prepare our own breakfasts.  I think his M1 yesterday was egg whites.  And this morning he ate a sweet bell pepper with his eggs said he felt good and full.  Weekend breakfasts we make large omelets and hash browns together.

Biggest bummer from last night is when my husband was snacking on cashews.  1.  Since he hasn't read the book, he was disappointed to hear the no snacking rule. 2. I realized the other ingredient other than cashews was peanut oil!!! Really?  Pissed me off that I didn't catch it! 

@ Prime - From what I've read it's normal to not being doing your personal best in your sport/activity/exercise in the beginning of the Whole 30.  Don't fret and don't push yourself too hard.  Give your body time to heal and figure out what's going on.  Plus, not sure where you live, but its HOT in the Midwest right now, so take it easy.  Stomach issues are normal too.

Good morning!  

Last night was such a huge win for me.  We had a last minute invite to a pre-season football party and I was excited to go because I knew I could make it through!  The only thing I'm NOT excited about is people making comments or judging me on my choices.  It's always bothered me so it's nice to have a comeback explaining WHY I'm doing this.

Anyway, big cookout with everything you can think of-- grilled hot dogs, carne asada, chicken, chips, dip, soda, etc.  Luckily, my crockpot meal was prepped yesterday morning and I ate before heading to the party.  I really wasn't hungry when I arrived.  I drank water and that was it.  I told my BF that the old me would've overindulged in chips and dip and "treated" myself to a soda or two.  It felt SO, SO amazing to say no...even to a macadamia nut cookie!!  Such a turnaround from my big breakdown the night before.  

Today is day four for me and I feel really great.  I've been having vivid dreams as well but not about food...I had one about my dog, another about running around to host a party at my house and another about work.  Really weird lol.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing recipes!  I'm making the mayo tonight for some chicken salad "wraps" (in lettuce) with another friend who is also doing the Whole30.  We are gonna make sweet potato chips again, too :)  Very exciting!!  

I haven't figured out how to reply to a reply...

Click Quote in the lower right of the post you want to reply to.  That will bring up the entire post in a box.  Edit the contents of the box as necessary to "quote" the relevant part of the post you're replying to. Then, type your response outside of the box and click on "Post."

I understand that it might be a "food without brakes" for some but not to everyone. I’ve tried it and the texture is not smooth and velvety, it’s grainy and hard since you have to keep it in the fridge. The taste is actually really rich and pleasant.

Chris, I’m not sure if you have ever seen the TV show called “Chopped”, where the participant gets a basket with mysterious ingredients and they have to cook a meal with all of them ? That’s how I play in my kitchen for each of my meals since I’ve started Paleo 2 years ago. I like working with new ingredients and that would be a good example of the kind of ingredient I love cooking and experimenting with.

When you are cooking with real food, it shouldn't be a chore or be boring, sometime you have think outside the box, be creative, original and especially have fun with it.

If you want to know, I won't be using it for baking or by the spoonful right out of the jar; I will be using it to make a sauce.

Cheer !

Yup, I've seen Chopped.

I never said cooking should be a chore or boring - not sure how you got that from my question?

I will be interested to hear about the sauce you create - enjoy! 

Day 4, here we come! 

I (knock on wood) didn't have any headaches or such yesterday. And today doesn't seem to be "kill all the things" either. I *am* going through "HAVE ALL THE NAPS, PLEASE?" for some reason. I just can't get rested. 

Also, good Lord this is a lot of food. I didn't eat regularly before and having to sit down and purposefully eat three very large (by relative standards) meals is tough. I actually, without a doubt, not. even. hungry. between meals. The urge to snack makes my full tummy scream "No!" 

I don't feel as achy and stiff today. And I no longer have peanut butter glooping through my veins, but I'm still really very tired. Can't wait for the energy to hit!

Have a wonderful Day 4 and enjoy the long weekend!!

Hi, I'm joining you all on sept 1st. So glad to have company. It will be my first whole 30, Yesterday I have done a pantry cleanse and will take your advice to keep meals simple. I did find the 7day plan overwhelming with so many new recipes. My other weakness will be having to do the whole30 while cooking non-whole30 for hubby and 3 kids!!

Good luck.  My husband is also not doing Whole30 so I'm pulling out some frozen preWhole30 freezer leftovers when I don't think he can handle what I'm eating.  We often eat differently so it won't be terrible.  I don't envy your challenge with hubby and kids.  Hopefully, you'll get some great recipe ideas here that will help.

Happy day 4 everyone. Day 3 went well, I had a mild headache when I went to bed, but that might've been due to the all the drunks I was around last night! ( My husband might be enjoying my being designated driver a little too much) Seltzer for me last night, so much so I had to get up twice during the night....

Today is starting out great! I'm not saying "cause and effect" yet, but I played the best tennis ever this morning! True, my mixed doubles partner and I lost. But we should've been beaten handily. We lost 1–6, 6–3, 7–5. That first set we took was soooo much fun. I am the happiest loser ever!!!! Enjoying my post workout snack of hard-boiled egg and sweet potato. Have lots to do today, no time to think about killing things, but all seems to be going well this time around. Wishing everyone in the United States a happy Labor Day weekend, and our team friends from other countries a lovely weekend as well. Stay true to the plan, let's keep this train rolling all the way!

AWESOME on the tennis! I don't get to play a ton (I used to play competitively and a little in college) but I take two clinics a week that are really hard core and I am really feeling the power as of late. Its is amazing. I almost finished a W30 last month and just took one day off... I am at day 6- I am telling you IT GETS EVEN BETTER!

Looks like you guys nearly pulled it off-tight score. Did you watch the Hewitt match last night US Open- He almost pulled it off went 5 sets and a few match points... Happy Labor Weekend!

Okay. Day 4 and I feel really sick. My stomach was crampy and gassy this morning. I feel sweaty. Only manage a 55 slow walk for my workout. I feel a bit nauseous.

I feel like my diet was not that bad before. I am shocked I feel so sick.

Is this a normal response?

Female 5"4 168 lbs 40 years. Pretty active.

Where you feel sweaty, I wonder if you might be coming down with something?

Yes, performance can take a dip in the first couple weeks of a Whole30, as your body shifts to becoming more fat-adapted.

If you like, post the past few days of your food/activity log in the Troubleshooting section. Include portion sizes, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and any exercise. From there, we can see if anything merits tweaking.

So anyone having a strong urge to weigh themselves? I usually weigh myself about once a week, but I'm overly excited to see any scale results. Any ideas on how to look for 'non scale victories'? Thanks.

Yeah, I'm having hard time keeping away from the scale. I'm going to have my husband hide it!

So, I REALLY wish places such as Trader Joe's would start stocking non-sugar cured meats. I would be in hog heaven for some bacon, y'all.

Have you looked for prosciutto?  My local TJ's has compliant prosciutto: ingredients are pork and salt.  That can be a nice substitute for bacon.

Biggest bummer from last night is when my husband was snacking on cashews.  1.  Since he hasn't read the book, he was disappointed to hear the no snacking rule. 2. I realized the other ingredient other than cashews was peanut oil!!! Really?  Pissed me off that I didn't catch it! 

To clarify, no snacking is a recommendation for best results, not a rule.

If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.  Nuts are a fat on a Whole30. 

The need to snack between meals is typically an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough. We recommend building meals that follow the meal template and that satiate you for 4-5 hours, starting the first meal within 1 hour of waking. Also, for intense workouts, we recommend an additional pre workout meal of protein and fat and a post workout meal of protein and optional veg carb.

Hi there! Day 4. Thanks for the postings on mayo a couple days ago. Finally made a batch. Why the heck haven't I ever done this before? Wow! Really yummy. Made a little bit into tartar sauce to have with the no fuss salmon patties yesterday. A keeper in the menu planning! Made chicken salad with it today for lunch! The best chix salad I've had in a long time.

Had the weirdest icky-feeling dream about non compliant food. Last night, while sleeping, I had pancakes and fried chicken and ribs with BBQ sauce. And in my dream I kept saying well, I'll just eat this and not stop the program. Won't tell anyone, etc. gosh, I'm really not a sneaky person and hate (can't) lie! Where the heck did that come from? Was happy when I woke up to realize it was all a big nightmare!

Best news is that I think I have my sense of smell returning!! Could smell the lavender soap in my shower this AM. Absolutely melted into my coffee after the first few bites of pork sausage patties and roasted acorn squash. BTW, success with not eating fruit yesterday morning and this morning and went all the way through lunch with no hunger issues! So, yes, fruit was the culprit for being hungry right after breakfast!

Got cold like and allergy symptoms. Sneezing and runny nose. Blech. And a goal for me is a half hour on stationary bike or walk. I'm a sedentary gal. That has got to change.

I work from home (alone, no kiddos around--I'm a proud gramma now) so have great luxury in preparing meals, etc. I've got to hand it to this of you who are brownbaggers (as mentioned in someone else's previous post) and moms and dads with little ones around. You all rock taking on this program. Wow. I'm impressed.

Proud of all of us. Thanks for this group!

Hey Everyone!  I thought I'd check in today since I've just been reading and not contributing.  I love all of your ideas and the candid comments.  This is Day 6 for me and I certainly went through my rough patch (or should I say my family's rough patch).  I was ornery and soooo tired earlier this week but today it feels like something's changed and I'm in a much better mood and I actually have a small amount of energy.  I hope it's not just because it's Friday and I have a long weekend coming up.  :D  I've added more fats this time and I am staying full longer so that is a plus.  I'm wearing capris today that were a little snug a couple of weeks ago and they are comfy!  Yay!  I'm still a little achy and I'm ready for that to be gone.  I've had vertigo since March and I am really hoping this will help me finally get rid of that.  (I don't think that's in the list of Whole30 miracles though.)  I've taken some of the advice on here and last night when I was exhausted I cooked ground pork in some coconut oil with a bag of the rainbow slaw and some fun seasoning.  It was delicious and so easy.  My mother-in-law gave me some eggplants from her garden and a recipe for eggplant "sausage".  Yum!  I think we picked a great month with all of the fall veggies in season.  Hang in there, Friends!  You are going to want to give up.  Don't.  

Click Quote in the lower right of the post you want to reply to.  That will bring up the entire post in a box.  Edit the contents of the box as necessary to "quote" the relevant part of the post you're replying to. Then, type your response outside of the box and click on "Post."

Thank you!

To clarify, no snacking is a recommendation for best results, not a rule.

If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.  Nuts are a fat on a Whole30. 

The need to snack between meals is typically an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough. We recommend building meals that follow the meal template and that satiate you for 4-5 hours, starting the first meal within 1 hour of waking. Also, for intense workouts, we recommend an additional pre workout meal of protein and fat and a post workout meal of protein and optional veg carb.

Thanks for clarifying on the snack recommendation!  We will build up our meals better!  Thanks!

Archived