Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Today was really good....again it was hard to push food on other people and not nibble every once in a while but I did it!!! I am struggling with meal 1 as I am up so early for my commute and work. I did not eat until 3 hours after I was up

But it kept me from snacking at work!

I feel really energized and have not fallen asleep on the sofa after work. I love reading everyone's meal ideas and knowing I am not the only one struggling. It's great having a support system.

M1 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 HB eggs whites only ( I can only eat so many yolks) 1/2 avocado 1 cup cherry tomatoes

M2 2 cups steamed ban green beans 4 roasted fingerling potatoes, 1 chicken thigh ( obviously from a monster chicken. That thing was huge!) a peach

M3 shredded sweet potato hash, 3 cups spinach wilted 1 cup homemade spicy pork sausage crumbles ( it was delicious and filling!!)

Thanks again

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I was soooo sleepy!  Since all the protein in the house was frozen I pressure cooked chicken thighs to take to work for lunch and started a pork roast in the crock pot.  And ran out of time to make coffee.  But, I rode my bike to work so got in a little over an hour of exercise.

M1: grapes and almonds and close to half a gallon of water - super thirsty this morning

M2: monster bowl of greens with chicken thighs and sprouted pumpkin seeds, EVOO and ACV

M3: a small bowl of kim chi - hot hot hot

M4: pork roast and broccoli - couldn't eat much, still full from lunch?

Going to bed early - good night!

Day 2: My headache finally went away late this afternoon. But also in the afternoon, I had a small exacerbation of my tinnitus - thankfully, nothing like last night's and I think/hope it's getting better.

M1: chicken, cauliflower, spinach, olive oil

M2: salmon, mayo, spinach, carrots, beets

M3: chicken, mushrooms, onions, spinach, carrots, olive oil, 1 1/2 bananas

Probably should have just had 1 banana, since it's hours after dinner and I still feel full.

I may join some people at a museum followed by eating at Olive Garden. Anyone eat there on Whole 30? Everything seems to have cheese or butter and who knows what kind of oil they cook with. Maybe the salmon and ask them to make it with olive oil and ask for plain steamed vegetables...

Hi all.. end of day 3 here in au. Just finished a huge plate of roast chicken and veg. Delish.

So far so so good today, yesterday however i feel i skipped the first stages of the timeline and went straight to 'kill all the things!!' My poor husband copped it.

Feeling pretty good this morning (day 3), and looking forward to last night's leftovers for breakfast, plus celery and almond butter, for breakfast. The celery/almond butter combo is now a favorite, and will be my go-to snack, I think. Never thought I'd see the day when celery would be near the top of my list for a snack!

Good luck, everyone--we can do this!

Checking in on the morning of Day 3! My Day 2 food was good but it was the first day of my cycle and I was exhausted, with really awful cramps. Normally I would take 2 Aleve and be done, but I can't take Tylenol and so had to tough it out with a heating pad and a 9pm bed time. :/ I was zapped, way more than I normally would be.

Food yesterday:

M1: Shredded cabbage, leftover grilled chicken breast, avocado, salsa

M2: Steamed kale, 1.5 Applegate farms frozen turkey patties (found these at the back of the fridge - I prefer fresh protein but these are compliant and easy, so using them up); olive oil, cherry tomatoes, local nectarine.

M3: Spaghetti squash, grassfed ground beef with compliant marinara (Bove's brand, for anyone looking), half a small sweet potato, 1/4 of an apple

I do incorporate fruit into meals - I don't let them push veggies off my plate, and I do eat them with other foods. In my first Whole30 I found that small amounts of fruit didn't sabotage me and helped my energy levels, so I'm ok with doing that.

Work time! I hope everyone has a good day!

Getting fed up with eggs for breakfast - usually eat berries with muesli and kefir...today I made up a dish, pan fried sweet potatoes wth zucchini, a splash of tomato sauce, wilted spinach and poach egg on top. It was delicious. Can't wait to make it again on day 4! Glad everyone is doing well.

End of day 3 here.  So far I've escaped the carb-flu hangover.  It was baaaaad the first time I did W30, so this is nice.  Wasn't looking forward to feeling sick and taking care of a 2-year-old all day.  Hopefully I won't feel like killing all the things tomorrow, because my toddler is going through a very naughty stage.

Going to bootcamp tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes.

Hope day 3 goes as well for everyone else.

Day three checking in. Doing good. Hubby is asking about my food. He eats all the things he really shouldn't. Interesting conversations trying to explain the program to him as best I can. Showing all the things I can eat and not focusing on things not allowed. Oy!

So thanks to GFChris for helpful advice. No fruit at breakfast and upped my protein and veggies and fat. I have a feeling that I won't be hungry in an hour!

M1 was 3 eggs, 1 pork patty (made yesterday), 1 c mushrooms, 1 c spinach, scallions on top. All sautéed in 1 TB clarified butter. 12 oz black coffee. My coffee is what I hanker for in the morning and typically that was my breakfast prior to W30. Now I wait to have my coffee until after my first few bites of real breakfast, as suggested on the program. It feels like a luxury now.

And a VERY interesting thing: I lost my sense of smell a few years ago and suffer from chronic sinusitis. Figured the loss of smell was just something I'd have to live with. I could not savor food and worse, I could not smell coffee brewing in the morning (or smell a gas leak or spoiled food--it's an annoying thing to live with). Yesterday, while making the pork patties, I could smell the spices I used!! I used sage, rosemary and thyme. I had to taste one and could actually taste it! Today I'm stuffed up again, but hopefully the elimination of dairy and sugar might be the "miracle" to get my sense of smell back?!

Have a great day everyone. I'm cheering us on with good energy vibes at least once every hour that I think about W30 and this great support group.

End of day 3 here.  So far I've escaped the carb-flu hangover.  It was baaaaad the first time I did W30, so this is nice.  Wasn't looking forward to feeling sick and taking care of a 2-year-old all day.  Hopefully I won't feel like killing all the things tomorrow, because my toddler is going through a very naughty stage.

Going to bootcamp tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes.

Hope day 3 goes as well for everyone else.

Hi, hope I'm replying to this correctly! I just wondered what is the carb-flu hangover? I've heard that mentioned a few times. Thx.

Hi - I started on Sept 1st (my first W30) but only just joined the forum. Day 1 was fine but I started to get a headache early evening which stayed with me when I woke up on Day 2.  I drank lots of water and it was gone by 1-2 pm.

Today I feel fine - the constant cooking / prepping is going to get annoying (I work full time) so I am going for simple meals (chicken and steamed veg rather than some amazing stew or casserole with complicated ingredients) to begin with.  I am also probably eating too much fruit but I live in Thailand so the local produce is very fruit based - I can't afford so much imported veg (I buy a little - sweet potatoes etc).

Anyway, just want to say hi.  :)

Feeling pretty good this morning (day 3), and looking forward to last night's leftovers for breakfast, plus celery and almond butter, for breakfast. The celery/almond butter combo is now a favorite, and will be my go-to snack, I think. Never thought I'd see the day when celery would be near the top of my list for a snack!

Good luck, everyone--we can do this!

Hi Nancy

I'd suggest you proceed with caution re the celery & nut butter - nuts/nut butters are notoriously hard on the digestive system & our recommendation would be that they are eaten in moderation , ie. only every few days. Nut butter can also become a FWOB for some - and the fact that you're saying it'll be your 'go to' snack rings alarm bells for me. Try & build your meals so that you keep you satiated for 4-5hrs as per the recommendation & remove the need for snacking at all...

@ art-school-girl - the carb flu is a name for the flu like feeling some suffer in the early days from refined sugar/carb withdrawal. If you've not had it consider yourself lucky!

• Administrators

Around 4:00 today I was really hungry so I had the hard boiled egg. It held me over until dinner which was around 7:30. The same thing happened yesterday. I'm wondering if I should split up my lunch or make it bigger??.

I've been eating breakfast around 7:30, lunch around 12-12:30 and then dinner is usually around 7-7:30.

I know the hb egg on its own probably wasn't the best, but it was the best I could do at the time.

I'm hungry by noonish so I don't really want to push that meal back further. Any suggestions?

When you have a run of 6-7 hours between meals, you are more than free to eat something. A hard boiled egg is actually a great choice! We recommend that the mini meal be protein veggies and fat but if you can't manage all three, have at least two. The egg counts as protien and fat for these purposes. :)

• Administrators

Checking in on the morning of Day 3! My Day 2 food was good but it was the first day of my cycle and I was exhausted, with really awful cramps. Normally I would take 2 Aleve and be done, but I can't take Tylenol and so had to tough it out with a heating pad and a 9pm bed time. :/ I was zapped, way more than I normally would be.

You can take whatever pain medication you need during this time. We do not expect you to suffer. I can't take tylenol either so generally take ibuprofen. Take the Aleve if you need them.

Good morning and Day 3 for me. Planning today's meals, I am so pleased to have so many choices right there in the fridge - hard to decide! Last year day 3 was my carb flu, very mild - I just had medium grade headache, and no desire to do much but lay around. Someone asked about carb flu - it is actual withdrawal symptoms from not eating simple carbs, sugars, and varies with each person. And it will go away after a day or so... I think I might breeze through this year since I have already given up most gluten after last year's Whole30 (cleared my sinuses). Yesterday I felt a little sluggish when I got to the tennis court but I totally rocked (with my doubles partner) the 3rd set! Fully following the pre and post workout meals this year - as a reminder for some Pre = Protein + Fat, Post = Protein + Carb (e.g.sweet potato).

I think the first meal of the day is soooo important, encouraging all to stick with the template make it a good one!

One goal for today is to plan out the next 4 days, having company for the weekend and invites or eating out next 4 nights. But I did fine last year so know I can do it again....I research the restaurants ahead of time and call if I need to, and my friends whose homes I am visiting are quite supportive. Throwing an American holiday weekend into our schedule early is a challenge, but we can do it!! Have a great day team....

Hi Nancy

I'd suggest you proceed with caution re the celery & nut butter - nuts/nut butters are notoriously hard on the digestive system & our recommendation would be that they are eaten in moderation , ie. only every few days. Nut butter can also become a FWOB for some - and the fact that you're saying it'll be your 'go to' snack rings alarm bells for me. Try & build your meals so that you keep you satiated for 4-5hrs as per the recommendation & remove the need for snacking at all...

Thanks for the input, jmcbn! I don't mean snack as in between meals. But as I work toward learning how much to have to keep me satiated, I can use it to extend my meal if I need to. If I get a sense that it will be FWOB, out it goes! But nut butter has never been one of  those things for me--especially unsweetened, and on a non-sweet food. Might be a problem if I ate it on an apple, so I will stay away from that.

This is why I love this forum--I'm glad that people are paying attention and trying to help!

You can take whatever pain medication you need during this time. We do not expect you to suffer. I can't take tylenol either so generally take ibuprofen. Take the Aleve if you need them.

Thanks! I should have clarified that I've stopped taking NSAIDs as a response to recent research regarding their effects on the heart and on ovulation. It's not really a Whole30 decision - more like an extension of me wanting to try managing somethings in a more "natural" way and less running to a pill to make myself feel better. Personal decision - I know it's not a W30 rule or even (I don't think) recommendation!

Hi all!

Everyone is really doing great here.... I love everyone's creativity!

For those that are struggling with all of the meal prep, planning, etc, it gets sooooo much easier. My hubby has been eating this way for about a year and a half and by about the 6 week mark, it didn't really require any thought. If fact, the template is just the perfect framework for us. Protein, fat, veggies. If we've got all of that, we make a meal out of it.

Some of the things that keep him in check and on plan have been the homemade mayo made into a million different types of veggie dips, seltzer water, the freshest eggs possible, and high quality (and sadly therefore more expensive) vinegars and olive oils. If we have those things in house we can usually figure stuff out. Oh, and kombucha and ghee too!

Today is day 7 for me and I'm treating myself to a manicure. Woo hoo! I feel so much better than I did just seven days ago, amen! I haven't been working out too strenuously, but I'd like to add some more workouts in next week. I'd also like to reduce any snacking that I'm doing between my meals.... A nibble of jerky here, a couple of nuts or olives there, I don't think I am truly hungry, just old habits dying hard.

Best wishes to everyone today!

Michelle

I may join some people at a museum followed by eating at Olive Garden. Anyone eat there on Whole 30? Everything seems to have cheese or butter and who knows what kind of oil they cook with. Maybe the salmon and ask them to make it with olive oil and ask for plain steamed vegetables...

It looks like Olive Garden uses soybean oil in their cooking, per their allergen menu

As such, unless they can confirm with you that they have 100% olive oil available (and not an olive/soybean oil mix), I would request that they dry-grill your salmon, chicken or shrimp with only salt and pepper for seasonings, along with either steamed vegetables or a dry compliant salad, and you bring your own dressing.

Hi my name is Alexis, 

I actually started on August 31st.  I am on day 4 right now.  How are you feeling?  I am feeling super tired and my mind is telling me i need sugar in my coffee etc.  Drinking black coffee is not so bad though.  I got this.  This is my 4th attempt at completing a whole 30 and i plan to follow it all the way through this time. 

...I'm not crazy about eating raw eggs these days, so I make it with organic pasteurized egg whites (3 T = 1 egg).

Linda75, thank you SO MUCH for posting this about your homemade mayo recipe! I had been having GI trouble with raw eggs, so I'd given up on mayo altogether (which I love, so it was an entire grieving process)... I saw your post, ran out and bought the pasteurized egg whites, and made a batch last night. No digestive problems, and I was very pleased with the texture and taste. I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE MY MAYO BACK!! Now I can do egg salad, chicken salad and delicious wraps again, yay hooray.... Thank you!! I would never have thought of this on my own. I love this forum!!! : )

• Administrators

Linda75, thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I had been having GI trouble with the raw egg, so I'd given up on mayo altogether (which I love, so it was an entire grieving process)... I saw your post, ran out and bought the pasteurized egg whites, and made a batch last night. No digestive problems, and I was very pleased with the texture and taste. I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE MY MAYO BACK!! Now I can do egg salad, chicken salad and delicious wraps again, yay hooray.... Thank you!! I would never have thought of this on my own. I love this forum!!! : )

Just curious, is it really white without the yolk?

Carb flu is a very unpleasant withdrawal that is surprisingly common. I really didn't think I'd feel bad because I eat a low processed food diet generally, BUT I did! I had three or four miserable days (about day 3-7) on my first W30, and one day (day 3) this time. I am on Day 5 today.

Meal 1 today, 3eggs scrambled in ghee, roasted onions in ghee (I eat onions as a veggie), sauteed spinach, small portion of sweet potato, yellow squash and coffee with coconut milk. I am so full, but I know I have a good start on the day.

Just saw a report on arsenic on rice products. So glad to be eating Whole 30 style! I lived in China for several years, and consumed a massive amount of rice during that time. Most of the local food in the cities is loaded with scary stuff (heavy metals, pesticides, etc) so I am grateful to be able to find relatively clean food in the U.S.

Hallo from NY. 

Meal One today was salmon and a sweet potato and a few grapes. I need to work on adding more green stuff.  

I may make a fritatta for lunch and add some spinach and or kale. and some brussel sprouts on the side. I love them roasted. And since I have discovered coconut aminos I can use that to spinkle on top of the brussels. I used to loathe them as a kid but now I love them

meal three is porkchops with baked apples and a salad. I am going to have a full house so I will make some marinara sauce too..and make spagetti pasta. 

I have been perusing this site and think I may give this a whirl. It would be great to have some meals ready in advance. I have done cooking in advance before and love the convenience and this is whole30 compliant!

Archived