Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Had a good day 2. Last night I dreamed I was being offered blueberry muffins, not bakery muffins but the nasty Little Debby, at every turn but I refused them all and woke up feeling victorious. I've never eaten those muffins so I have no idea why I dreamed about them. I made my first may today using the stick blender method. I couldn't believe how fast it came together and how delicious it is. And I didn't think I could ever make it.

I've had a slight headache all day so took some compliant OTC pain reliever and its just about gone.

M1: Compliant Chicken Apple Sausage, 2 eggs, potato with onion

M2: Tuna Salad with Mayo and green onion and diced celery; grape tomatoes, celery sticks, baby carrots, half a small pear

M3: Pulled Pork, Sweet Potato with Ghee and Green Beans

I am full. No cravings so far and no desire to snack and afternoons were horrible for junk food.

I so appreciate all your posts. They are very inspiring and teaching me a lot,.

Susan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 here! So HUNGRY today.

Pre-workout meal-Hardboiled egg and coffee

PWOM-Didn't have time to grab anything.

Meal 1-3 egg omelet with mushrooms and spinich, blueberries

Meal 2-Leftover Grilled shrimp with cilantro lime mayo, cauliflower rice and mashed sweet potatoes

snack-ate some nuts while running errands after work when I was HANGRY

Meal 3-Aidell's chicken apple sausage, hashbrowns, spinach with mushrooms and kombucha.

Am I eating enough? Probably didn't help that I missed my post workout meal. :( Also, I'm allergic to avocados which is a huge PITA.

Day 1 in the books, off to day 2....I have a turkey curry simmering (ground turkey, can of tomatoes, Red Boat Fish Sauce, black pepper) that we're eating over steamed and riced cauliflower and broccoli (there was NO frozen cauliflower at my store the day I went shopping, whoever is scamming on all my cauliflower had better cut it out). Usually one of my meals is a portion of whatever we had for dinner....I work night shift so I'm all backwards and turned around in case what I post makes no sense with the day. I started tapering off a bit a few days before I started with dairy and I cannot believe how only two days dairy free makes me feel less bloated, my stomach feels light and I notice a difference in how tightly I can do 'crunches' in my yoga program. I just feel cleaner. Hard to explain. 

Day 2 went pretty well.  Had the same breakfast as yesterday and then leftovers from dinner last night for lunch.  So it was an easy start to the day.  Made Artichoke Leek Potato soup for dinner following this recipe:  http://pretenditsadonut.com/2015/03/12/artichoke-leek-potato-soup/

I subbed homemade Chicken stock for veggie stock.  I also had watermelon and almonds with dinner.  

Feeling pretty accomplished today as there were about a gazillion times my  mind told me to give up and have some bread or crackers but I didn't give in (even as I was making said things for my kids!)!  

I am getting some recipe ideas by going through the forum posts! Food I didn't think about pairing together before sounds good now. I treated myself to a refreshing seltzer water with lime today instead of my regular water with lemon. Felt like I was cheating. 

I have for a long time done all my cooking on the weekend so I have an easier time getting my dinner together after a long day of work. Plus it allows me time to get in a walk after work. Still there are times I open my fridge and think nothing sounds good. Those are the times I can make the wrong choices. This week I have been planning ahead for dinner and then changing a side or adding something so I will continue to make the right choices. Tonight I added a salad made of cukes, tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil and olive oil to my chicken burger. Simple, easy and delicious. I might have to have it again in the morning! 

Meal 2-Leftover Grilled shrimp with cilantro lime mayo, cauliflower rice and mashed sweet potatoes

Meal 3-Aidell's chicken apple sausage, hashbrowns, spinach with mushrooms and kombucha.

Am I eating enough? Probably didn't help that I missed my post workout meal. :( Also, I'm allergic to avocados which is a huge PITA.

Looks like you could add some more fat to meals 1 & 3... that will keep you satiated longer. And maybe more bulky green veggies in general... broccoli, green beans, brussels sprouts, zucchini, chard, kale, bok choy, etc.? (spinach cooks down so much, hard to get enough!)

You're doing great! Good for you! keep going strong!!

looking for non-egg breakfasts.

Start thinking about breakfast as meal 1. Anything you eat at other meals of the day, you can have at breakfast.

Non-egg breakfasts have been discussed extensively in the past on the forum. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfasts to get links to past discussions.

You may also like this thread of non-traditional breakfasts: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

3. First day was great but M3 portions were large. Bought pricey NY strip steak and I ate what my kids didn't finish because the thought of tossing it seemed wasteful. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking "It's compliant so it's okay."

Leftover steak for breakfast!! B)

Day 2.... Check!

Been battling a headache all day, but took some ibuprofen to help. I also added some starches, which I read helps.

M1: ground beef, onions, spinach,potatoes made in olive oil and two eggs made with ghee. Couple stawberries n blueberries.

M2: baked chicken with roasted potatoes and onions in olive oil. (Probably should have had more veggies)

M3: hb egg

M4: steak, sautéed mushrooms and onions in olive oil and grilled yellow squash.

Around 4:00 today I was really hungry so I had the hard boiled egg. It held me over until dinner which was around 7:30. The same thing happened yesterday. I'm wondering if I should split up my lunch or make it bigger??.

I've been eating breakfast around 7:30, lunch around 12-12:30 and then dinner is usually around 7-7:30.

I know the hb egg on its own probably wasn't the best, but it was the best I could do at the time.

I'm hungry by noonish so I don't really want to push that meal back further. Any suggestions?

4. My vinegars have sulfites even though there's nothing non-compliant in the ingredient list. I know vinegars (not malt) are approved. Any answers?

Naturally occuring sulfites are ok. It's *added* sulfites that are off-plan which, if present, would be in the ingredients list.

Having a great time on this forum, thanks everyone.

My son did it, he made it through last nights sugar cravings. I am so proud of him. Day two went great for both of us. M1 fried (coconut oil) apples with ginger, cicmomon and 4 eggs with solid coconut milk.

M2 spehgetti squash with hamburger, mushrooms, basil, garlic and tomatoes.

M3 steak, sweet potatoes with pecans, apples, cranberries with coconut milk, mixed veggies and jicama. Beverage is water and black tea.

Also watch the movie Fed Up. Yea, perfect title.

@milonac

Definitely eat more! The veggies will help you stay full, as well as some more fat! Avocados are great and stick with you. I would try to increase the food at each meal--try it for a day and drink tons of water; you may find that works for you. If you do need to add a fourth meal, try a mini template meal rather than just one macro nutrient...

OK so it is Day 5 for me.  My plan to move my booty more is in full swing.  I got up and sautéed a little chicken breast (about 3 onces) in clarified butter before I went for run/walk.  Timed my first two mile loop and then ran and walked the next three miles.  (6 min peak 38 cardio and 3 hrs 48 minutes in fat burn- I love my fit bit :rolleyes: what can I say).  Ok tried to get more veggies in today I think I did a little better.  I was a little repetitive in some of my proteins and veggies today- did not want the chicken breast I cooked Sunday to go bad so...

PWO- Chicken breast warmed up in a little clarified butter (was hoping that fit the lean protein and fat combo needed before workout)

M1- Sautéed Chicken Breast, red, yellow, orange bell peppers in Romaine Leaves

M2- Chicken Breast sautéed in clarified butter, grape tomato, cucumber, salad, over baby arugula and an orange 

M3- Sautéed ground meat with Mexican seasonings (chipotle pepper, oregano, cumin, and paprika) with sautéed pepper trio, fresh homemade salsa, and fresh cilantro and because they were so darn good at lunch ate in the Romaine leaves, again.

OK so now that I am looking at it a lot of repetition in my day today... My daughter helped me prepare dinner- cut up the peppers and made the herb mixture.  I have to say she nailed it.  She devoured the "healthy tacos" we were calling them.  Avocado would have been great with dinner but still hard as rocks... I really felt fine and no real cravings tonight after dinner.  This used to be my worst time... snacking, watching a little tv.... vegetating and staying up too late.  A vicious cycle.  I really try to make it a point to go to bed no later than 10:30 so I can get my 8 hours of sleep in too.  I think I am going to try to do the crock pot pulled pork tomorrow as I have all the ingredients.  I do have Spagetti squash, Brussels sprounts, yammers, zucchini and butternut squash on hand... just haven't gotten around to tackling those yet- think I will give it a shot tomorrow. B)  Typing it out you really do see the wholes in the template so I think for a little while I will keep doing that.  I have enjoyed reading everyones updates throughout the day during my breaks... :D

How much veggies and fat did you have at each of your meals?

Did you have only one sausage at meal 3?

Avoid having nuts by themselves as a snack. The recommended snack when hungry between meals is a mini meal of protein, carb and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

How much water are you drinking? Aim for 1/2 oz water per pound of body weight, daily.

1. Thank you for posting your favorite recipes with hyperlinks. That's awesome!

2. I will not be buying nuts. They are a slippery slope for me.

3. First day was great but M3 portions were large. Bought pricey NY strip steak and I ate what my kids didn't finish because the thought of tossing it seemed wasteful. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking "It's compliant so it's okay."

4. My vinegars have sulfites even though there's nothing non-compliant in the ingredient list. I know vinegars (not malt) are approved. Any answers?

The naturally occurring sulfites are ok... all my vinegars have them too.

How much veggies and fat did you have at each of your meals?

Did you have only one sausage at meal 3?

Avoid having nuts by themselves as a snack. The recommended snack when hungry between meals is a mini meal of protein, carb and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

How much water are you drinking? Aim for 1/2 oz water per pound of body weight, daily.

I try to eat a lot of veggies at each meal and yes, I usually have one sausage. Is it okay to snack on veg if you're hungry or should you have a "mini meal"? I've been eating a lot of the snap peas from costco. I drink A LOT of water, and have been for years. I try to follow the meal template when eating. I do think missing my post workout meal was a bad move.

I try to eat a lot of veggies at each meal and yes, I usually have one sausage. Is it okay to snack on veg if you're hungry or should you have a "mini meal"? I've been eating a lot of the snap peas from costco. I drink A LOT of water, and have been for years. I try to follow the meal template when eating. I do think missing my post workout meal was a bad move.

What's "a lot" of veggies? We recommend 1-3 cups per meal.

Consider upping to two sausages: the recommendation is 1-2 palm-sized amounts of protein per meal.

Again, the ideal mini meal is protein, carb and fat. If you can't have all three components, have at least two.

Archived