Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Nights around 8pm are toughest, when I'm exhausted with headaches. But need to do some more work, so I usually have a seltzer with berries or a few cashews to get my second wind.

I have a cup of coffee after lunch which seems to help me get through the afternoon cravings, but im hoping to drop that soon.

Looking for ....

Looking ahead to the weekend, give me your "fancy" recipes, and your easy work week recipes.

Can't find compliant sausage and would love some!

Make sure you're drinking enough water throughout the day to try & fend off those headaches - a half an ounce per pound of body weight is the recommendation, so if you weight 140lbs you want to be drinking 70oz water daily. A fist sized serving of starchy veg per day can also help with the transition from the old diet to the new and in turn help with the headaches, as can fat - fat & protein will stave off your cravings too so something else worth considering when you build your meals.

My absolute quickest, easiest meal suggestion is to throw a large chicken in a slow cooker without browning - put about a third of a can of coconut milk in a mason jar (or something with a lid), add some spices of your choosing (ginger, chilli & cumin work well here), give the jar a shake, pour the contents over your chicken, cook on low for approx 8hrs and there you have some prepped protein to keep you going for a few days.

Bonus: if you allow the chicken to cook a litle longer the bones start to breakdown, the meat literally falls off them, and if you strain the liquid you have a good tasty base for a soup/stew/casserole....  (you can do this with the liquid of pretty much anything you cook in the slow cooker)

Happy Day 3 everyone!  So far so good here.  I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts and also appreciate the support of the mods popping in too.  The only minor issue I've been having is with sleep, and I've noticed this trend in the other W30s I've done.  I'm finding that I'm waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes to go to the bathroom (need to cut off water after a certain time in the evening!), and sometimes for no reason.  Needless to say, I've been tired and grumpy all week.  I've heard that eating starchy carbs later in the day can help with sleep.  I do think some of my insomnia has to do with decreasing my carbs when I eat cleaner, because I've definitely had this happen in the past.  I'm going to try adding some sweet potato to dinner and see if that helps.  

Yup. Fact.

You could also add in a magnesium supplement which will help.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting fed up with eggs for breakfast - usually eat berries with muesli and kefir...today I made up a dish, pan fried sweet potatoes wth zucchini, a splash of tomato sauce, wilted spinach and poach egg on top. It was delicious. Can't wait to make it again on day 4! Glad everyone is doing well.

Have you tried the bangers and mash? I made it with a side of spinach sautéed in clarified butter. It's really good and may help you break up the eggs. I pre made mine monday and it's holding up well in the fridge

Okay I have to admit I'm having a hard time with fat. Before I started whole 30 I was working with a trainer who had me eating 1300 calories a day (I tracked on myfitnesspal). I was working out an hour a day (kettlebells/cardio) and also cycling a lot outside. It was super low fat, high protein, low carb. I lost inches but I felt weird about eating all that greek yogurt and protein shakes/bars (I've been GF for years). I have hashimotos so I know I needed to eat paleo. That brought me to Whole30. So I come from recording everything I eat and low fat to this. It is messing with my brain. I know it's only day 3 but I've been easing into whole30 since the beginning of August.

I guess my point is, I feel fat and I worry that the only way I can lose weight (I don't need to lose a lot) is to eat that crappy way I did before.

Pre-workout meal-hardboiled egg, coffee

Post workout-eggwhite and sweet potato

M1-3 egg omelet/spinich/mushrooms, aidells sausage, a few leftover hasbrowns and snap peas.

M2-Steak salad, spinach, tomatoes, peppers and cilantro lime mayo

M3-half banana and hardboiled egg

M4-ground turkey with tomato sauce, zoodles. (Should I add something else?)

Oh I figured out I can make the green/passion tea from starbucks at home and that has been great around 8pm. I used to have a glass of wine at that time. :(

Things, overall, look ok.  

- Were you hungry at M3?  (i.e., was that the reason for the mini-meal of banana and hard-boiled egg?)

- Where was the fat at M4?

Yes, Whole30 is different way of thinking.  It's not calorie counting that brings success here: it's nourishing your health and getting into proper hormonal balance. 

When you say you "feel fat," do you feel bloated?  How much plain water are you drinking daily?

Okay I have to admit I'm having a hard time with fat. Before I started whole 30 I was working with a trainer who had me eating 1300 calories a day (I tracked on myfitnesspal). I was working out an hour a day (kettlebells/cardio) and also cycling a lot outside. It was super low fat, high protein, low carb. I lost inches but I felt weird about eating all that greek yogurt and protein shakes/bars (I've been GF for years). I have hashimotos so I know I needed to eat paleo. That brought me to Whole30. So I come from recording everything I eat and low fat to this. It is messing with my brain. I know it's only day 3 but I've been easing into whole30 since the beginning of August.

I guess my point is, I feel fat and I worry that the only way I can lose weight (I don't need to lose a lot) is to eat that crappy way I did before.

M1-3 egg omelet/spinich/mushrooms, aidells sausage, a few leftover hasbrowns and snap peas.

Oh I figured out I can make the green/passion tea from starbucks at home and that has been great around 8pm. I used to have a glass of wine at that time. :(

You have to eat (good) fat to lose fat.

And honestly, it's pretty hard to go over-board. I have pretty much two fat sources in every meal - I don't count the fat in egg yolks, I don't care if it's a fatty cut of meat, and I don't use a tsp to measure anything. I mean a teaspoon? Seriously...?

You NEED the fat for energy, and for brain function, and you will feel SO much better if you embrace it, really.

And this is coming from someone who eats this way (pretty much) every day & continues to change body composition by doing so.

Things, overall, look ok.  

- Were you hungry at M3?  (i.e., was that the reason for the mini-meal of banana and hard-boiled egg?)

- Where was the fat at M4?

Yes, Whole30 is different way of thinking.  It's not calorie counting that brings success here: it's nourishing your health and getting into proper hormonal balance. 

When you say you "feel fat," do you feel bloated?  How much plain water are you drinking daily?

I haven't eaten 3 or 4 yet but I have to take my daughter the dr after work so I won't be able to eat dinner until later. I might not have M3 if I'm not hungry after work (maybe just grab some snap peas. is that okay?). I'll probably cook the turkey in coconut oil. I drink at least 64oz of water at work and then at least another at home. I'm a water drinker.

I haven't eaten 3 or 4 yet but I have to take my daughter the dr after work so I won't be able to eat dinner until later. I might not have M3 if I'm not hungry after work (maybe just grab some snap peas. is that okay?). I'll probably cook the turkey in coconut oil. I drink at least 64oz of water at work and then at least another at home. I'm a water drinker.

We only want you to eat between meals if you are genuinely hungry in between (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli).  Take an egg and snap peas with you if you think you'll be delayed enough between meals that you get hungry. 

Also, note that much of the cooking oil stays behind in the pan, so you may have to compensate with more fat after cooking.

@crimsann  Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!  Nearly made me cry again lol.  It feels good to have a community of people that can relate to me.  I truly appreciate all of the insight!  I've stayed compliant (even after my spaghetti squash nightmare) and am very excited to move forward.

I put a pork loin in the crockpot tonight with the random veggies, water and spices. Looking forward to NO cooking and moving past last night's fiasco :)

Hi everyone!

Also started on the first but haven't been able to post until today. This is my third Whole30 but will be a new experience since I'm 11 weeks today with my first! Excited to see so many great posts! Looking forward to a successful month, morning sickness and all

Hello, I have been reading through these posts and learning lots! What a good group here. I have been completely on track except wonder if I am not eating enough vegetables. I am going to have to take out shares in some of the markets with the amount I am buying but still not eating 9 cups a day--I do have a huge salad at lunch and a heaping dinner plate of mixed veg at night, sadly lacking veg at breakfast. That will have to be sorted.

I facilitated a big meeting with catered lunch, so I had to work hard while everyone ate their sandwiches and dessert, avoided them, didn't get cranky, and make my delicious salad of leftover grilled chicken, leftover coleslaw, spinach, corn, sesame seeds and olive oil/vinegar.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but corn is out on a Whole30 as stated in the rules. No grains.http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Day 3 done! (Food-wise, anyway.) I'm feeling better than I thought I would at this point. I expected more withdrawal discomfort. But I'm definitely ok without it!  :P  Today is one of those days I could have come home from work and just eaten a HUGE bowl of air-popped popcorn for dinner. Instead, I defrosted some chicken and made what has been my favorite meal so far! Chicken, sauteed in clarified butter, with a good sized pile of mashed cauliflower with clarified butter and coconut milk. SO good. And yes, I tipped every drop of that chicken-flavored butter out of that pan on top of my faux-tatoes. So what would have turned into a carb-fest has become a totally W30 compliant meal that was my favorite one yet. And instead of being in a carb-coma, I'm ready to tackle some stuff around the house. 

I got a call from my 80 year old mom this morning. She had to take my dad to the doctor, and they were stopping at our favorite pizza place, which is just a few blocks from my office, for lunch. She said, "I know you can't eat pizza, but I thought you might like to come visit with us during lunch anyway if it wouldn't be too hard for you." Gotta love having support from family! I did visit, and drank a lot of water. Then I went back to the office and had my compliant chili with avocado. It was a nice opportunity to visit with my folks and my sister, who also works nearby. And it was hardly painful at all!  :D

Enjoy your evening, everyone!

Day 3 done! (Food-wise, anyway.) I'm feeling better than I thought I would at this point. I expected more withdrawal discomfort. But I'm definitely ok without it!  :P  Today is one of those days I could have come home from work and just eaten a HUGE bowl of air-popped popcorn for dinner. Instead, I defrosted some chicken and made what has been my favorite meal so far! Chicken, sauteed in clarified butter, with a good sized pile of mashed cauliflower with clarified butter and coconut milk. SO good. And yes, I tipped every drop of that chicken-flavored butter out of that pan on top of my faux-tatoes. So what would have turned into a carb-fest has become a totally W30 compliant meal that was my favorite one yet. And instead of being in a carb-coma, I'm ready to tackle some stuff around the house. 

I got a call from my 80 year old mom this morning. She had to take my dad to the doctor, and they were stopping at our favorite pizza place, which is just a few blocks from my office, for lunch. She said, "I know you can't eat pizza, but I thought you might like to come visit with us during lunch anyway if it wouldn't be too hard for you." Gotta love having support from family! I did visit, and drank a lot of water. Then I went back to the office and had my compliant chili with avocado. It was a nice opportunity to visit with my folks and my sister, who also works nearby. And it was hardly painful at all!  :D

Enjoy your evening, everyone!

Me too with the popcorn. I would have added a beer, too! One of those days. But I didn't. 

And good for you visiting with pizza present. That's tough. I haven't had pizza in ages-gluten and dairy trigger a whole range of health issues with me. 

Me too with the popcorn. I would have added a beer, too! One of those days. But I didn't. 

And good for you visiting with pizza present. That's tough. I haven't had pizza in ages-gluten and dairy trigger a whole range of health issues with me. 

@kplake I did have a hankering for a beer during lunch. My dad had one and it smelled SO good! Good for you for having one of those days but not giving in!!

Hi everyone! Day 7 almost done! Today was a bit tough. I feel very snacky but not interested in eating a meal, so I fought through that. I also felt very down in the dumps today, which has been a disappointing side effect. I went for a 2 mile run and had major digestion trying to happen, not good. Bad news.

I ate a lot today, so who knows why I still just feel the need to snack. Is it all psychological??? I am eating more veg and fat than I ever have in my life, including my previous W30!

M1: homemade sausage, cauliflower rice, coffee with coconut milk, peppers, 3 eggs, cashews

M2: chili with spaghetti squash, avocado, grapes

M3: raw veggies, venison jerky

M4: chicken thigh, large lettuce and tomato salad, homemade dressing, sweet potato

That is a LOT of food. There's this little part of my brain that is telling me that there's no way I'm going to lose body fat eating that many calories.... Old thoughts linger I suppose.

Who ever posted the idea about the whole chicken in the crock pot, thank you! I will be doing that this weekend!

Michelle

Middle of day 3 going well.

My husband cooked me an awesome meal of fried eggs (I'm the reheated egg averse forum member!), hashbrowns made from leftover potatoes last night, and sautéed spinach. It was delish and helped me start off the day right

I facilitated a big meeting with catered lunch, so I had to work hard while everyone ate their sandwiches and dessert, avoided them, didn't get cranky, and make my delicious salad of leftover grilled chicken, leftover coleslaw, spinach, corn, sesame seeds and olive oil/vinegar. My first work temptation win!!

My struggles are:

I need sauces asap!! But haven't had time to retry the mayo or make anything in bulk. I loved the red pepper sauce, but need a dressing. I know what I'm doing this weekend, but other tips would be great.

My husband is going to the store every night for me, because this is so hard to plan.

Nights around 8pm are toughest, when I'm exhausted with headaches. But need to do some more work, so I usually have a seltzer with berries or a few cashews to get my second wind.

I have a cup of coffee after lunch which seems to help me get through the afternoon cravings, but im hoping to drop that soon.

Looking for ....

Looking ahead to the weekend, give me your "fancy" recipes, and your easy work week recipes.

Middle of day 3 going well.

My husband cooked me an awesome meal of fried eggs (I'm the reheated egg averse forum member!), hashbrowns made from leftover potatoes last night, and sautéed spinach. It was delish and helped me start off the day right

I facilitated a big meeting with catered lunch, so I had to work hard while everyone ate their sandwiches and dessert, avoided them, didn't get cranky, and make my delicious salad of leftover grilled chicken, leftover coleslaw, spinach, corn, sesame seeds and olive oil/vinegar. My first work temptation win!!

My struggles are:

I need sauces asap!! But haven't had time to retry the mayo or make anything in bulk. I loved the red pepper sauce, but need a dressing. I know what I'm doing this weekend, but other tips would be great.

My husband is going to the store every night for me, because this is so hard to plan.

Looking for ....

Today's supper was last minute, quick and easy, grilled chicken thighs (Well Fed cookbook technique), lettuce and tomato salad with homemade ranch dressing, also out of the same cookbook.

Go to crockpot meal is beef roast with root veggies.... I also do spinach, apples, pecans, red onion tossed with oil and vinegar and rotisserie chicken for a super quick meal. Or spinach, tuna, kalamata olives and mayo for a throw together lunch. I need good oils and vinegars for me to be able to throw last minute stuff together. Maybe invest I. Some of those?

Day 3 almost down.  I'm feeling overall quite positive about this way of eating.  No real withdraw symptoms that I can think of so that is a good thing.  I'm finding that I'm quite full after most meals and not looking to snack - something that is different for me since I seem to need to snack after eating meals with breads. The only temptation to snack is out of habit not hunger so I'm dealing with that....

M1 - More of my sweet potato and pork hash with peppers and eggs (cooked in ghee)

M2 - Leftover chili from the other night along with an apple sprinkled with cinnamon 

M3 - Chicken meatballs with spaghetti squash and tomato sauce. Cucumber. Pistachios. Tea. Apple.

Feeling optimistic heading into the holiday weekend when I should have a bit more time to prep.

Tomorrow I'll finish up my batch of hash for breakfast and have leftover artichoke leek potato soup and only have to cook one meal :-)

For those of you with headaches and awful crankiness: during my first Whole30 I was about to give up one night until I pulled out a small sweet potato and nuked it.  I was pretty much crying and it made all the difference.  Also, great side to chocolate chili on.  (I highly recommend a little homemade guacamole on top of the chili...you will be FULL)

And I know everyone has already said it...but...yeah, include the fat, don't skimp.  My first attempt at a Whole30 was thwarted by hunger...not enough veg, not enough fat.  Now, if I didn't get enough fat with my meal I always make sure to add a little something: a slice of apple with nut butter, a spoonful of coconut butter, a handful of nuts, some avocado....

Another side benefit for me was how much sweeter everything tasted after a while.  A tomato was like candy. 

Michellemahi: Your post could have been mine today.

Worst run I've had in a decade. GI issues brought me to a walk. (Perhaps this is Whole30 related? I remember reading that it can disrupt even a longstanding exercise program.)

Frustration and a negative midday exchange contributed to an afternoon of grazing and snacking. It was all compliant - but I know not what the Hardwicks intended for the program.

I'm determined to define tomorrow by three meals. Thanks to this forum. I'm feeling empowered for a better tomorrow.

Day 3 going well for husband and I on our first Whole 30

Husband:  He goes to work in an office all day and says that his lunch wasn't enough which was a large salad with an entire chicken breast, tomatoes, broccoli with the balsamic vinaigrette (from the book) and 2 apples.  Any tips for packing enough for a lunch for him?

Me:  I stay at home with our daughter who just turned 1 last week.  I'm a nursing momma who loves to ride my bike, do just about anything outdoors and I also like to quilt. I'm starting to feel a bit more independence with my little one eating more solids and going to sleep without me at night!!!  (watch out, I may have just cursed myself).  My goal for this Whole 30 is to feel better, not succumb to my sweet tooth, which has been happening during pregnancy and beyond.  I also would like to be in better health when the next pregnancy occurs down the road.

I went for a mountain bike ride with a friend today who is on her 2nd whole 30 and she has also done a 60 day paleo challenge.  Her tips have been a blessing and an encouragement to dive into this challenge along side another local friend who has almost completed her 30 days.  I thought I would have a problem with the heat and exercise this morning, but drank plenty of water before, during and after.  I had a good breakfast of scrambled eggs with onion, avocado and flax meal.  My pre-work out snack was a couple handfuls of almonds and a half hard boiled egg which I downed before hitting the trail.  After the hour and half bike ride I ate more almonds, 1 1/2 hard boiled eggs, half a clementine and a couple of olives.  I think my saving grace today was having enough things in the fridge and then just packing my cooler to go.  This may be the way I survive this challenge.  Plus, keeping busy with a reasonable amount of down time to rest will keep me focused.

Day 3 is over and I'm loving this. I was tired and had a headache early afternoon so I went and laid down and slept for 30 minutes, got up and took m7 second shower of the day and noticed my headache was gone and I felt refreshed. This evening I have a quilting bee meeting and I enjoyed a bottle of water while the others had some sort of tort thing with fruit on the top. Since I have celiac and have to be gluten free it didn't bother me a bit to pass it up.

M1: Scrambled Eggs, Spinach sautéed in ghee, blackberries

M2: Hugh salad with chicken breast, banana

M3: Steamed Shrimp, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, more ghee, creamy cucumbers from the book

It was all quite satisfying but I think I'll leave bananas out for now for they taste too sweet.

We can do this!

Woah, what an active group! I'm a day behind you all, but joining in. This is my second round. Did my first in may and June and dropped 16 lbs, reduced the frequency of my migraines, evened out my moods, and got rid of my daily nausea. I've kept certain foods totally out of my diet since then and am lookin to tighten up my diet where I've let a few things back in, ahem, sugar. My head is pounding today and I have body aches. Looking forward going to bed and starting fresh tomorrow.

OK so today was kind of rock and roll, shake and bake kind of a day... I quick did the pulled pork and got it in the crock pot before running out the door at 8:10 am for school drop and early 8:30 meeting.  Planned another meeting at one of my customers, and one of my new favorite lunch spots Chive.  I can basically build my salad and Lou the owner is a buddy so he tells me how everything has been prepped and they only use clarified butter, yeah because it has a higher smoke point.  Can't do this every day but it is a great back up when I need to run out of the house and do not have time to pack my lunch.

Ok you can just call me repeat girl AGAIN because my meals were very similar... :unsure: But enjoyed every bit of each and every one of them.

Note to self- Farmers market Saturday am for MORE VEGGIES.

M1- 3 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 cup of potatoes and 1 cup of homemade salsa

M2- BIG PROTEIN SALAD at Chive with Pulled Pork, tomato, cuc, olives, avocado, onions

M3- My pulled pork (Lou's was better because he has a kickin smoker) with salsa, Big green salad and balsamic vinegrette- I repeated my favorite romaine wrappers for the pork too...

Did not get to run today (think my legs needed a breather) but did get in one of Marcos kick butt boot camp tennis clinics tonight after work.

(0 Minutes in Peak :angry: which I seriously find hard to believe by the way I was breathing , 23 in Cardio, and 3 hrs and 12 minutes in fat burn and 11,021 steps- considering my day I will take it ^_^ ).  I have many many posts to read tonight, everyone is Kickin it!!!  We are rockin and rollin. Hope everyone is starting to get over the worst of the Carb detox flu.

Day 3 going well. I feel bad cause my hubby, who I talked into doing this with me, is experiencing all kinds of side effects: gas, headaches, groggy, etc. I've been fine except for a mild round of headaches in the afternoon of Day 1. Hoping it clears up for him. And hoping it stays this way for me! We ate pretty healthy to start - and I've been reducing our sugar intake slowly over the course of the last 6 months so that helped.

We initially planned to have our 3-year old go through this with us (with some modifications), but realized that it wasn't going to work this morning for breakfast. So he's off plan for breakfast, but will stay in compliance the other meals of the day. He doesn't do eggs - and I know there are other options for breakfast, but he's a picky toddler, and we've really struggled to find something that he'll eat.

Here is a trick- my daughter would never eat eggs... so we bought this cute little non-stick pan.  She would crack the eggs, put salt and pepper in them... she is not a big cheese eater... and then on her little steppy stole with my husband or I right next to her she would cook her eggs.  Low and behold she at every single speck of them.  Same concept at the farmer market- would give her $20 to pick out her own fruits and vegetables that she wanted...  Also when we got home she would wash the fruit an veggies before we put in fridge with her specially veggie brush (what kid doesn't like to mess around with water).   She has been making homemade salsa since she was five and eating a huge variety of veggies thanks to our awesome farmers market.  Now she is ten and eating mostly Whole 30 compliant... but Rome was not built in a day bjaneg!  But if they feel like they are the ones doin the choosin, well you got a shot :)

I absolutely love the unsweet green tea from starbucks- I think it must have a little mint oil in it because it is soooo refreshing.  If you find out there is a way to make at home let me know... the $4.50 cents for the Trenti's will take away from my Farmers Market Fund :0  Missing the vino a little too but one thing would definitely lead to a bowl of chips or cheese and bread...

Archived