Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

I absolutely love the unsweet green tea from starbucks- I think it must have a little mint oil in it because it is soooo refreshing. If you find out there is a way to make at home let me know... the $4.50 cents for the Trenti's will take away from my Farmers Market Fund :0 Missing the vino a little too but one thing would definitely lead to a bowl of chips or cheese and bread...

They use Tazo tea so I just bought the green and passion at target and brewed it myself. I can't tell the difference. I'm going to buy a big cup with a straw and bring it to work for that 2pm tired time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!  Everyone's doing so great!

I wasn't as hungry today and not quite as tired as yesterday.  It looked like rain this morning and I slept late so I drove to work so no exercise other than taking the stairs multiple times to the 5th floor.  Heading to bed early again after I finish typing this.

M1: 2 bananas and almonds.  Hopefully this weekend I can come up with some non-egg (allergy) breakfasts that sound appealing.  (I know I'm supposed to consider it M1, but I'm just not in the mood for a heavy meal in the morning.)

M2: Huge salad, chicken thighs, sprouted pumpkin seeds, EVOO & ACV.  Couldn't finish the salad today.

M3: Pork roast lettuce wraps.

Wanted to stop at the grocery tonight on my way home but needed a bathroom so went straight home.  I'm surprised as I would've thought it wouldn't be an issue after my 3 week produce challenge at work but apparently my body's adjusting to something.  Sorry if that's TMI!

Day 3 going well for husband and I on our first Whole 30

Husband: He goes to work in an office all day and says that his lunch wasn't enough which was a large salad with an entire chicken breast, tomatoes, broccoli with the balsamic vinaigrette (from the book) and 2 apples. Any tips for packing enough for a lunch for him?

Add more FAT, which will keep him satiated longer (avocado, mayo, olives, nuts, coconut flakes, etc). Yes, you would add the extra fat in ADDITION to the oil that is already in the salad dressing. Also consider adding some starchy veggies (yam, parsnip, potato, etc.... great to do a big cook-up of roasted root veggies, then throw them in salads and other dishes all week long).

It looks like Olive Garden uses soybean oil in their cooking, per their allergen menu

As such, unless they can confirm with you that they have 100% olive oil available (and not an olive/soybean oil mix), I would request that they dry-grill your salmon, chicken or shrimp with only salt and pepper for seasonings, along with either steamed vegetables or a dry compliant salad, and you bring your own dressing.

Thanks a lot, GFChris! This is really helpful!

I haven't been having much salad lately because dental issues make it difficult for me to chew raw vegetables well. But it occurred to me that a salad that takes me a long time to eat could be a great thing to have at Olive Garden - and I'll bring my own salad dressing.

I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE MY MAYO BACK!! Now I can do egg salad, chicken salad and delicious wraps again, yay hooray....

Vozelle, I'm so happy that you can have mayo again! Your note reminded me of how happy I was the first time I tried making mayo with pasteurized egg whites and found they really worked! Actually, I'm happy every time I make mayo.

Just curious, is it really white without the yolk?

Ladyshanny, mayo with just egg whites is actually pretty much like the color of regular mayo. Even without the yolk, it gets color from the olive oil. Also, from the mustard. And I usually make it with apple cider vinegar and that probably adds a little color too.

I have had tinnitus for years and notice it's worse since I started Whole30. Any explanation for this?

Tinnitus has so many causes, it's really hard to figure out what's going on. Mine's been going up and down since I started Whole30 - a bad exacerbation the first day, a small one the next, another one today that's pretty loud but maybe not as bad as the first day. I'm telling myself that I'm detoxing and I'm hoping that after some more time on Whole30, it's going to get better.

Also, when I clean up my food, my stomach shrinks and gets really sensitive to food quantity and sometimes I feel full before I've eaten very much. At that time, if I try to keep eating, the tinnitus gets worse.

Day 3: Started off with my computer screens going black a few minutes after booting up and a call to tech support. I had breakfast before I called because I knew I could be on the phone for a long time. The tech guy got the video back, then tackled the audio problem I was having, then looked into a couple of other problems. Four hours later, I got off the phone and it was time for lunch. And then I finally started working and ended up working late tonight.

Several times today I wanted snacks but resisted because of the accountability of this forum. I did put some extra food in dinner - and stretched dinner out a lot to encompass the fruit I kept wanting to satisfy my sweet tooth - and I think I'm paying for it now with a very loud exacerbation of my tinnitus.

M1: eggs on spinach, olive oil

M2: salmon with mayo, carrot-ginger soup

M3: chicken with mushrooms and onions, carrot-ginger soup, green beans, olive oil, half a dozen cherries (dried cherries that I had soaked for a long time), half a banana

For the soup, I had slow-cooked chicken legs with an onion and a lot of carrots and water (the SCD Lifestyle chicken soup recipe + the onion). Then I separated the chicken and the broth, pureed the carrots and put the puree into the broth (again per the SCD recipe). There were so many carrots that it pretty much became carrot soup. Today I heated some up with grated fresh ginger and nutmeg and it was delicious. 

Day 3 going well for husband and I on our first Whole 30

Husband:  He goes to work in an office all day and says that his lunch wasn't enough which was a large salad with an entire chicken breast, tomatoes, broccoli with the balsamic vinaigrette (from the book) and 2 apples.  Any tips for packing enough for a lunch for him?

Bear in mind that your husband's hands are bigger than yours so he should be eating more than you. Also bear in mind that the 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein is the minimum recommendation and it's okay to eat more. I'm a 5'2" female weighing around 120-125lbs and I'd easily eat a whole chicken breast myself, probably more. Also a salad needs to be HUGE to be satiating - think serving/mixing bowl rather than individual dish!

My advice would be to up the protein (that's what will give him the staying power) and then increase the size of the entire meal - better to have too much food on hand in the early days than too little. He doesn't have to eat it all, and by seeing what he leaves you'll soon gauge how much food to send.

That said it may actually be that his breakfast wasn't big enough and so he was playing catch up - what was his meal one?

Hi all!  Everyone's doing so great!

I wasn't as hungry today and not quite as tired as yesterday.  It looked like rain this morning and I slept late so I drove to work so no exercise other than taking the stairs multiple times to the 5th floor.  Heading to bed early again after I finish typing this.

M1: 2 bananas and almonds.  Hopefully this weekend I can come up with some non-egg (allergy) breakfasts that sound appealing.  (I know I'm supposed to consider it M1, but I'm just not in the mood for a heavy meal in the morning.)

M2: Huge salad, chicken thighs, sprouted pumpkin seeds, EVOO & ACV.  Couldn't finish the salad today.

M3: Pork roast lettuce wraps.

Wanted to stop at the grocery tonight on my way home but needed a bathroom so went straight home.  I'm surprised as I would've thought it wouldn't be an issue after my 3 week produce challenge at work but apparently my body's adjusting to something.  Sorry if that's TMI!

Yeah, this really doesn't meet the template (no protein, no veggies), and the fact that you're not in the mood for food first thing in the morning is indicative that your hormones are out of whack & so you really need to eat a proper meal to help get them back into whack again.

Take a look at ths thread for some meal one inspiration - things like korma chicken, or coconut curried chowders work well as they have a sweet & mild taste & if batched cooked require nothing more than a little re-heating.

Good morning! Day 4 just starting, and I am feeling a bit "Kill all the things" today. I'm not surprised--other times when I've tried to get sugar out of my diet, day 4 was always a tough one. Only working till 11 today, then heading to my daughter's to spend the weekend watching the dogs while they are in FL. Looking forward to a long weekend of nothing but me and the dogs!

Good morning! Day 4 just starting, and I am feeling a bit "Kill all the things" today. I'm not surprised--other times when I've tried to get sugar out of my diet, day 4 was always a tough one. Only working till 11 today, then heading to my daughter's to spend the weekend watching the dogs while they are in FL. Looking forward to a long weekend of nothing but me and the dogs!

Have fun this weekend Nancy!

Guys, this is SUCH a great group! I appreciate reading all the thoughtful comments and encouragement!

Morning of day 4 for me. Day 2 I was zapped but Day 3 I rebounded, and I'm feeling pretty good right now. My first round of Whole30 back in January I made the mistake (for me) of being too skimpy on the carbs and I'm trying to avoid that this time - aiming for a fist-sized amount at 2 out of 3 meals. That's really helping with my energy, especially as I'm keeping up my exercise routine as much as possible.

Weekdays tend to be easier, but the 3 day weekend coming up is going to be challenging. Tonight is a birthday party for a dear friend, tomorrow is the first day of college football (Go Gators!) and then Sunday and Monday we might go out of town for a day trip, which means restaurant meals. But I'm taking it one meal at a time!

Have a great day, everyone!

Hope you have fun this weekend Nacy!

Good morning, today is day 4!  Today, I have lots of errands to run in the morning so that will keep me busy.  I realized that when I'm home I get bored easily and that is when the cravings attack.  I will post my meals at the end of the day...wishing everyone a great day!

YEY Day 4!!

Hope everyone is doing well today.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this cooking thing. I've always cooked, but never this much.  LOL.  I'm still spending way more time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning than I'd like to, but I have a nice long weekend ahead of me.  I'll definitely have some time to prep some meals and start freezing some things which will make the week much easier.  I'm also going to prepare more one pot and crock pot meals  which should help.  Last week I was traveling all week for work so I started the week a bit unprepared.

I love how everyone is sharing ideas and recipes.  It's been helpful and it's exciting to find new delicious recipes to try.  It's keeping things interesting and I like trying new things.

Last night for dinner I made the beef brisket from the W30 book, which was delicious. I also made butternut casserole which was amazing. The mix of spices  gave it an awesome flavor.  http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/

So far I've been feeling okay.  I'm a little tired, some headaches and overall achiness, but I'm pushing through.  Luckily, I haven't had too many cravings, which has been a nice surprise.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Ok, Happy Friday to the Americans, and have a great Labor Day weekend. So, today started out less than ideal. But I can't blame the diet.

My partner got up before I did and ate all the cooked veggies with breakfast. I can't eat raw veg, so I was left with raw cabbage...I guess I could have cooked it, but didn't have it in me...so, grapefruit instead of my usual veggie fest. I'd better do better at lunch. Time to restock. A kingdom for my dark leafy greens!

So, I suspect chili with said cabbage and plantains for lunch, and a lovely roast chicken and mystery veggies for supper. I work from home (as does my partner, who obviously gets the "early bird catches the work" award), so I do have flexibility. I really admire all of you brown baggers! You must have to work twice as hard to stay compliant.

So, I REALLY wish places such as Trader Joe's would start stocking non-sugar cured meats. I would be in hog heaven for some bacon, y'all.

1. Thank you to the moderator who wrote that we should embrace FATS. I had hard boiled eggs mashed with avocado and I drizzled it with EVOO for M1. I feel really satiated now. So different than yesterday which didn't include enough fat or protein and lead to marathon snacking. I don't work Thursdays so I was in my house all day yesterday (until I picked-up the kids) and I think that that contributed to the grazing. I read that willpower is aided by distraction. I need an anti-snacking distraction plan for for the days I'm home that's more amusing than housework.

2. Hubby is smoking two pork shoulders tomorrow for the start of college ball. (ATL-Jen: Go gators!) I bought the second one thinking this will make great leftovers.

3. Old friends are coming to town and they are big drinkers and party-ers so I imagine this will be a challenge -especially since we are heading to a hot, new restaurant tonight.

I facilitated a big meeting with catered lunch, so I had to work hard while everyone ate their sandwiches and dessert, avoided them, didn't get cranky, and make my delicious salad of leftover grilled chicken, leftover coleslaw, spinach, corn, sesame seeds and olive oil/vinegar.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but corn is out on a Whole30 as stated in the rules. No grains.http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

@lowreyredmond - Don't let this news get you down or set you back! Please stay with us!!... yes, technically it's a start-over, but what I would do if I was you is keep going without missing a beat, and add 3 more days on the end before you start reintroductions, so you have the full 30 days without corn. : )

OMG! I had a dream last night that we went out drinking and I drank! I was so disappointed in myself!LOL! I admit alcohol will be the hardest for me. I was already off sugar and mostly paleo but I like wine and social drinking.

Pre WO-hadboiled egg, coffee

Post WO-Hardboiled egg white and sweet potato

M1-2 egg omelet, spinich, mushrooms, leftover sausage and snap peas.

M1-Zoodles and ground turkey tomato sauce with peppers.

M3-Chipotle carnita salad. I'm seriously thinking about reintroducing avocado and seeing if I can handle it. I need that fat.

I'll probably have some raspberries because my raspberry bush is going nuts and it's too hard to pick them and not eat them as I'm doing it.

Hi everyone! I've been keeping up with all your great posts and taken on board tips and suggestions, this is my 2nd Whole30 and although I enjoyed my first in June I had to drag myself back kicking and screaming for this one- I think partly due to living on bread and cheese in France during August and partly due to rediscovering my love of baking and decorating cakes after making a 'viking longboat' cake for my sister in law! Also I have been struggling with a bad back/hip which has led to a resurgence of depression and have been using chocolate and wine as a temporary coping mechanism!!

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that I have remained compliant and actually quite enjoying it, like an old comfortable pair of shoes - I've not been very organised with cooking but I went shopping on Monday and got lots of salad and veg in- I've got a freezer full of meat so that's made it easier. I've had omelettes most mornings with various veg in and half an avocado on the side, lunch has been salad with some form of protein and a handful of olives. Dinner has been a little hit and miss but basically meat and 2 veg. I have managed to start (and so far stick to) a journal this time though which is one thing I regretted not doing in June, I'm just writing what I eat and a bit about how I feel - what time I eat and when I get hungry so I can get portion sizes right. 

Today I have had my first afternoon slump but a cup of coffee perked me up- @lowreyredmond - I'm with you on the coffee- I'll try and phase it out but one battle at a time!

On Sunday I plan to get a little bit more organised for the week ahead and hopefully try some new recipes from Well Fed which I got for my birthday :-) Keep at it everyone- we are awesome!!!

Quick post ...I found a new product today in local store called "Cracked Coconut" and it's coconut spread made with Coconut, dates and pink Himalayan Sea salt ... Not sure if they have them available in the US but I can't wait to try it when I get home tonight : 

Check out their website : 

http://www.crackedcoconut.ca/

Will let you know !! :D

How are you intending to use it?  I could see this becoming a potential "food without brakes."

I understand that it might be a "food without brakes" for some but not to everyone. I’ve tried it and the texture is not smooth and velvety, it’s grainy and hard since you have to keep it in the fridge. The taste is actually really rich and pleasant.

Chris, I’m not sure if you have ever seen the TV show called “Chopped”, where the participant gets a basket with mysterious ingredients and they have to cook a meal with all of them ? That’s how I play in my kitchen for each of my meals since I’ve started Paleo 2 years ago. I like working with new ingredients and that would be a good example of the kind of ingredient I love cooking and experimenting with.

When you are cooking with real food, it shouldn't be a chore or be boring, sometime you have think outside the box, be creative, original and especially have fun with it.

If you want to know, I won't be using it for baking or by the spoonful right out of the jar; I will be using it to make a sauce.

Cheer !

Happy Day 4! Try not to Kill ALL the Things, lol! (http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/). I've been going strong and rooting for everyone... love reading all your posts. For those of you experiencing the common yet uncomfortable symptoms (such as headaches, fatigue, cravings, etc), troubleshoot where you can and ride it out, because the end results are totally worth it!!

@Crimsann - I'm doing pretty good with the exercise goal so far, though it's been a tough/busy work week... how about you?

@abiswarbrick - Nice to see you here, June Whole30 sister. We're back in the saddle! : )

Woke up feeling a little better this morning. I've been doing 21 day fix extreme workouts and am thinking that I need to lay off the workouts for a few days. Yesterday was leg day and I spent all night in agony with muscle spasms and feeling exhausted. My husband decided to do whole30 with my this time because he saw how much it's done for me. The problem is, he's eating all my food! And he refuses to read the book, so thinks all my "rules" are crazy and is totally not getting the reasoning behind the all or nothing mentality. Sigh, going to make some compliant pinterest sausage patties and hide them :) Good work everybody and thanks for posting your meals, it makes it easier for this uncreative momma.

Archived