Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Day 15!  I'm starting to feel better today.  This weekend I was not happy with the Whole30 and would have liked to throw in the towel a lot.  I choked down my breakfast, had a Larabar one day and was bitter I couldn't share in the fresh corn on the cob that was at a bbq I went to.  I just wasn't feeling Whole30 happy.

But then today happened.  I got out of bed feeling a bit more rested. I changed up M1 to chili instead of eggs.  I made myself a huge salad for M2 and added pistachios to it for some crunch in addition to the protein.  I worked out.  I had made a great dinner last night and I think that is what turned me around.  I did a flounder and the roasted broccoli from Ina Garten (omitted the cheese) and it was so good everyone in the family made it without a complaint.

Hoping I'm getting into the"sweet spot of Whole30" and will start to feel some Tiger Blood soon.

Cheers!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations everyone on reaching the halfway point!  I'm nearly sure almost everyone who made it this far during our June W30 finished the course and you can already see the optimism starting to shine back through which just lifts everyone and the best is yet to come!

I wanted to share a rather special (if slightly shallow) NSV today, I hadn't actually thought about it being the halfway mark but this is a good day for this.  I have had a dress hanging in my closet for no less than 12 years.  One of those things you instantly know will suit you and will wear for ages not to mention never go out of style.  And so in your enthusiasm you leave the shop with it somehow not noticing it won't even zip up.

You know the one.

And then for years you shuffle it to the back of your closet, never quite willing to cede the point and donate it to charity or sell it in a garage sale...and most years never even having a day where you bother trying it on because you know it won't have grown any extra inches out of boredom.  Tags just dangling listlessly.  This wasn't even just my skinny day jeans, this was like...I would need to time travel back to age 15 and even then, eh, maybe. 

Even at the end of my 60 days earlier this summer this wasn't an option...and I'm wearing it today.  I just got up, knew it was the day, zipped it right up, paired it with the perfect shoes, and headed out without a second thought.

This part might sound odd, but the best thing about it all is no one has really noticed.  Maybe one or two have commented, but I've dropped a good full three sizes in four months and not one person has asked what terminal illness I've acquired.  The change is slow but also steady and healthy looking to the point that it's nearly going undetected by those around me. 

I feel really good about that.

@Crimsann  I noticed!  I absolutely love love love your post.  Yes, I do know the one.  The dress.  The back of the closet.  All of it.  I'm so happy for you and proud of you.  You deserve to wear that dress.  You've done a lot of work!  Congratulations!!

Here on my Whole30 ranch things are moving along.  I'm feeling alright.  I am nervous that nothing is happening inside my body and that I'm dreaming this way of eating is going to change my life.  I'm having trouble trusting the process at the moment.  I think I'm having trouble because it all seems to good to be true.  I am liking eating this way and finding it totally sustainable unlike the juicing stint I did or the "raw 'til 4pm" stint.  This is easier.  There is no hangry.  Food prep is easier.  No one really notices I'm eating differently than they are.  My belly isn't as flat as quickly, but then again I'm not starving half the time.  

Hello Week 3!  Let's get this done!  So proud of all of you!

peace. 

Day 15 - very excited! For my NSV I am happy to say I am finally learning to cook more - trying new things and loving it!

Our favorites so far are:

• W30 Chili
  • W30 Brisket
  • W30 Spaghetti Squash and then we grilled a half turkey with EVOO and spices - DIVINE!
  • W30 Butternut Squash Soup - just made it and loved it, only thing was it did not thicken up as much as I thought it would - maybe more squash?

Tonight I am cooking Chicken Lemon Artichoke out of the Practical Paleo cookbook (my next adventure in cooking!)

I know I have lost some weight - although I have quite a bit to lose - but the best thing is I feel great, full of energy and over the sugar addition and liking food I never would have liked before. 

Love the forum - keep sharing, it is inspiring!

I prefer a frittata to the muffins, purely because you can add a good bit of ground beef into it, and way more veggies & even olives, and so it just seems more substantial as a meal. 

Make on a sunday, cool & cut into wedges, and it should last 4 days or so and is totally portable.

I make a frittata--at least that's what I call it and everything goes in, so far no meat but tons of veg/olives and top with a wee spoon of coconut yogurt--absolutely lovely. Even my husband likes it, it is now my go to breakfast, can take it with me if we are going to be away from home for a long time. Great. I find with that and a cup of bone broth I can go for hours.

...so no time for a real M1 - had the usual banana and almonds and coffee at my desk.

SuzeEG, I hereby (good-naturedly) challenge you to make a real M1, girl! You deserve to benefit fully from the Whole30 program, and having a real M1 is crucial... it has MAJOR benefits for your hormonal balance and metabolic health. At the very least, I challenge you to add a hard-boiled egg or protein portion to "the usual banana and almonds" tomorrow. But beyond that, how about making a packable breakfast the night before (fritatta or breakfast hash are both great portable meals), so that you can just grab-and-go, no matter what is going on in the morning? I used to think skipping breakfast was a great way to eat less calories in the day and stay trim, but I am forever changed now (and trimmer than I used to be) due to the Whole30. You can do it!! I hope this post inspires you!!  : )

This part might sound odd, but the best thing about it all is no one has really noticed.  Maybe one or two have commented, but I've dropped a good full three sizes in four months and not one person has asked what terminal illness I've acquired.  The change is slow but also steady and healthy looking to the point that it's nearly going undetected by those around me. 

Super DUPER stoked for you, Crimsann!! That is 100% shit-kicking fan-freakin-tastic. I love your words about the gradual changes... YES YES YES... that is what is so great about the Whole30 (but what many looking for quick weight loss balk against)... it is not a "quick fix", it is a gradual, sustainable shift, and the body does much better at this kind of reasonable pace. The poor body! It needs TIME to adapt, adjust and heal. The Whole30, 45, 60, FOREVER, etc. gives it that precious time. YAY for you!!   : )

I am liking eating this way and finding it totally sustainable unlike the juicing stint I did or the "raw 'til 4pm" stint.  This is easier.  There is no hangry.  Food prep is easier.  No one really notices I'm eating differently than they are.  My belly isn't as flat as quickly, but then again I'm not starving half the time.  

Yes again. See above. Slow and steady wins the race. Your metabolism THANKS you!

I feel like I've taken a few steps back. Tired, tired, tired... Or maybe I'm late for "I just want a nap," because I just want a nap. I could hardly crawl out of bed this morning, and I fell asleep sitting up on the couch last night before 9pm. Weird... But onward and upward. I will not let this get in my way!

Hi Nancy

I have wanted to respond to your posts since the beginning but only learned how now!!! Anyway, I think the tired is good your body is clearing out and regrouping, IMO. When animals are recovering from anything they slope off and sleep, we are doing the same thing. Everybody is different and every body is different so we are all going to be doing this on our own schedule using our own uniqueness. If you need to sleep, sleep when you can (not behind the wheel of a moving car though). I have spent so many years being unable to sleep that if I am the least bit tired off come the clothes on goes the nightie and I'm in bed. Love it. I do a proper nap whether it's ten minutes or an hour--love love love it. I have also been known to go to bed at 7:30pm since starting this programme.

We could have a pyjama party! 

SuzeEG, I hereby (good-naturedly) challenge you to make a real M1, girl! You deserve to benefit fully from the Whole30 program, and having a real M1 is crucial... it has MAJOR benefits for your hormonal balance and metabolic health. At the very least, I challenge you to add a hard-boiled egg or protein portion to "the usual banana and almonds" tomorrow. But beyond that, how about making a packable breakfast the night before (fritatta or breakfast hash are both great portable meals), so that you can just grab-and-go, no matter what is going on in the morning? I used to think skipping breakfast was a great way to eat less calories in the day and stay trim, but I am forever changed now (and trimmer than I used to be) due to the Whole30. You can do it!! I hope this post inspires you!!  : )

I will take that challenge, vozelle!  Now that company is gone - it was exhausting for me - I should have the time and energy to make something the night before.  I'm still struggling with finding something eggless (allergy) that sounds appetizing in the morning but will search tonight.  Maybe I can eat my breakfast while watching the ducklings tomorrow morning.  The goats won't be interested once they realize it contains meat :)

Congratulations everyone on reaching the halfway point!  I'm nearly sure almost everyone who made it this far during our June W30 finished the course and you can already see the optimism starting to shine back through which just lifts everyone and the best is yet to come!

I wanted to share a rather special (if slightly shallow) NSV today, I hadn't actually thought about it being the halfway mark but this is a good day for this.  I have had a dress hanging in my closet for no less than 12 years.  One of those things you instantly know will suit you and will wear for ages not to mention never go out of style.  And so in your enthusiasm you leave the shop with it somehow not noticing it won't even zip up.

You know the one.

And then for years you shuffle it to the back of your closet, never quite willing to cede the point and donate it to charity or sell it in a garage sale...and most years never even having a day where you bother trying it on because you know it won't have grown any extra inches out of boredom.  Tags just dangling listlessly.  This wasn't even just my skinny day jeans, this was like...I would need to time travel back to age 15 and even then, eh, maybe. 

Even at the end of my 60 days earlier this summer this wasn't an option...and I'm wearing it today.  I just got up, knew it was the day, zipped it right up, paired it with the perfect shoes, and headed out without a second thought.

CONGRATULATIONS! How thrilling about your dress. I may be quite shallow--but that works for me. I have a few choice things waiting patiently. I am absolutely over the moon for you. Well done.

I have been worrying because no one is noticing I am losing weight but like your perspective on that so will back off and quit being so precious. :) Now if I can be patient enough to get into my lovely clothes! You are so inspiring. 

Wow, lots of great stuff going on! It feels good to have gotten to the halfway point and still be going strong. I may not have Tiger Blood yet, but I do feel good! Has anybody kept track of how many started and how many are still posting?

@misslindy I'm not much of a napper. I always sleep past the optimal time, and wake up groggy and crabby. But I have been known to crawl into bed very early, prop my Kindle next to my face, and fall asleep reading. I love that the screen of the Paperwhite isn't back-lit, so no awful glare.

@Crimsann Congrats on the dress!! I had one too. Wore it once, and then got pregnant (that's how hot I looked in it!). 

Too funny about the PJ party & pillow fight!!  :P  :D  :lol:

I can't believe we're halfway done! I've not been hitting the gym as much as I'd like to. (What--working out every Tuesday isn't good enough?) So, I'm taking this opportunity to add consistent exercise into the remaining half of this whole30! Thankfully, I haven' run into food boredom yet--quite the opposite. I live by myself, and so every time I cook it makes at LEAST 3 meals for me. I end up having to choose between more leftovers than I know what to do with, or sacrifice some of the adventure of cooking new things D: (third world problems, am I right? Not trying to be facetious here, but really...). On Sunday, I made the chili out of the whole30 cookbook, yesterday I followed the brisket recipe to make a chuck roast, and tonight I'm making pan-seared/baked porkchops! I've decided to just do what I do during the week, and make Saturday official leftover cleanup day. :)

This morning, I strayed from traditional "breakfast" food for the first time. (I know, I know: day 15 and she's JUST NOW implementing the Meal 1 mentality?! yeesh!) I had some taco meat to finish up, so I had a taco salad with lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, taco meat, salsa, and coconut cream! Fabulous!

Anyway, NSV: I get off work a little after 7 every night, and, before, if I didn't bring a snack, I was chewing on my arm by the end of the evening and would usually end up stopping by the nearest fast food joint to eat ASAP. Now, I'm noticing that I stay satisfied all afternoon, and even have a half hour or so to do any necessary food preparation before I'm feeling noticeably hungry!

I don't think I've made it to the Tiger Blood stage yet. I do think I'm falling asleep faster and sleeping better, and as a result feeling more well-rested in the mornings, just still not super energized throughout the day. But, I think it could kick in any day now--I can feel it!

So glad to read all of your experiences on this journey and glad that a lot of you are having similar experiences to mine!

@Crimsann:  YAY!!!!!!  That is so fantastic!  I was just about to post something similar but wanted to congratulate you first.  I think that's phenomenal!  Nothing good comes easy OR quick, right?   :D

My NSV is not your typical one.  It's one about feeling and emotion.  It's one about self-respect more than anything.  Okay maybe it IS your typical NSV  ;) :

Earlier, I was in the bathroom at work and looked down at my waistline area.  Mind you, this is only day 15 but I swear to goodness my muffin top has shrunk.  I felt startled at first--thinking, "what's going on?  Am I sucking my gut in?"  Short answer, no, I was not sucking my gut in (for once).  And I stood there a lot longer than I should have and thought, "I look really attractive today."  Shallow?  Definitely.  Something I've rarely, if ever, said to myself?  Absolutely.  Then it dawned on me that i was wearing my work pants that were normally the ones I had to breathe deep to zip up and left little for the tiny button that held everything together.  How it never shot off and hit someone in the eye is beyond me.  But I don't think I have to worry about that anymore.

There I was, in my company's bathroom complimenting myself.  I don't know what the scale will say and frankly, I don't know if I care too much.  It felt good to emotionally hug myself and say "WOW!" to my OWN body.

Hi all, haven't posted for a bit, I am leaving you and wanted to make sure you knew why!!! So many drop out, wish we knew why!?!?

I did a complete Whole 30 last Sept. My primary reason then was to get better sleep and more energy. I did the reintro methodically, and I did find that gluten causes my sinus problems and have been fairly gluten free ever since. Huge learning!!!! I also found my joint pain went away and my menopause symptoms mostly were gone!!! Since then I would say I have been 80% whole 30. Definitely gave up gluten, legumes, the only dairy I do is cheese and I do that a few times a week! And I love my dark chocolate and fruit and wine and rice or just a few corn products. I definitely splurge once in a while. I don't grill the servers at restaurants but I order fairly clean. But other than sleep, my other NSV's have continued - great year!

I went into this again, hoping to get better sleep. I am at the same point as last year. For some reason my sleep is worse, much worse, as it was last year at the two week point. And it never got better then. And believe me my sleep situation was bad to begin with. I applaud all of you who are getting the best sleep of your lives but for me a big NO - again. The other problem is the same thing that went haywire for me last year, my nails are peeling like crazy. I have very bad nails but they get worse on whole30 apparently. Yes I've tried bone broth (3 months last year) and all the internet, OTC, and prescription suggestions for both sleep and nails. I apparently follow my mom (who did live to 93!). And yes I followed the template religiously this month, I don't need to post my meals. I admit what I experience may be more mental than physical? Oh well. That is me, I accept it. ( Re the sleep thing, I am one of the few that Ambien and other sleep aids have the opposite effect on, so that tells me I'm in trouble!)

I was fairly Whole30 before I started this year, and definitely did not need to lose weight (I am probably a few pounds down - and I weighed in at about what I did in high school!) I did not notice too much difference the first two weeks (e.g no carb flu, etc) except not sleeping and peeling nails! I really did this hoping the sleep thing would kick in this year.

I find I do better with 5 -6 small meals a day, but yes they are somewhat mini template type meals. I'm 58 and as an example yesterday was tennis in the am, some time in my workout room, then golf in the afternoon. I just do better with my mini meals. Works for me. I am in no way a sugar gal, my main source of sugar I would say is my red wine here and there, and I do some fruit... So oops!!!!! Trying to work the PWO Post WO as is possible for me.

I want to encourage every one to stay the course - it is SOOO worth it. You learn so much about our food in this country, as well as what works for you. I am so much better for what I did last Sept. But I think I have it down for me. I need to get back to just bad sleep, not very bad sleep!

Peace... And good luck.

Congratulations, everyone, on getting through the first half!  I haven't been online much at all but I'm also having no problems with my Whole30.  I'm pretty used to it by now.  I hope everyone is doing well and gets rewarded with "tiger blood" tomorrow! 

Day #16: Gggggrrr baby very ggggrrrr!  :lol:  Teehee.

I don't have full on Tiger Blood but it was a good day in a sequence of many lately. Imagine: eating whole non-processed foods and removing potential allergens from your diet makes you feel better?!?! Whawhawhawhat?!?!

I started a Whole30 Log we will see how that goes. I historically don't do well with those things but was hoping to post it for a few days at a time to trouble shoot with moderators/advanced members. Again, my main goal is reducing my dependence on fruit, not eliminating it, I still will do 2-3 servings daily but THAT IS IT!

Anyway, whipped up this goodie for a quick dinner tonight after putting the munchkin (one of my toddler's many aliases) to bed at 7:30 p with hubby at a late meeting. Probably not the MOST nutritious but it is compliant, tasty and convenient. Check it: cut up chicken breast (pre-made in fridge); 1 T compliant mayo; herb roasted brussell sprouts (also left overs); 1 large cucumber; 2 slices pepperoni; 1/4 C pistachios: mix it cold, eat it, love it. Yum! On to day #17 yeah! 

Ok y'all. I've been feeling the tiger blood for two days now! And today I experienced the 'strangely happy' phenomenon. This was very notable compared to the bitter, grumpy, overworked, tired New Yorkers!! I hope I can keep this sort of motivation up during the crazy busy times. Also, confession: I am so addicted to stress! I'm always running out the door even when I don't have to be. This morning I had an appointment to be at, ended up waking up 2 hrs early!!(tiger blood)and I was still late. Any de-stress tips? I've been adding listening to music for fun and lighting a candle at night.

Whole30-ite in training? 

My nearly two-year old niece threw the ultimate, fall on the ground, weep disconsolately, throw your shoes around, temper tantrum on Friday...

...in the middle of our local butcher shop, because her Mom wouldn't buy her a rump roast.

Of course Auntie cracked a rib laughing.  Also the shop employees struggled valiantly to keep straight faces, I don't suppose they are used to their products being quite so passionately desired by the under-three set.

So for all of you who have nearly had melt-downs in the grocery, just know you are not alone, good food is serious business!

How gorgeous! She has her head screwed on right, hope no one talks her out of it. :)

Hello friends!!! How awesome are we- halfway there!!!!

I had a nsv: loose pants! I was so dumbfounded I stood in my closet repeatedly pulling at the top in awe!

To the lady with the diminishing muffin top, don't call yourself shallow! You deserve that confidence. High fives all around. Thank you all for your awesome posts!

@Crimsann:  YAY!!!!!!  That is so fantastic!  I was just about to post something similar but wanted to congratulate you first.  I think that's phenomenal!  Nothing good comes easy OR quick, right?   :D

My NSV is not your typical one.  It's one about feeling and emotion.  It's one about self-respect more than anything.  Okay maybe it IS your typical NSV  ;) :

Earlier, I was in the bathroom at work and looked down at my waistline area.  Mind you, this is only day 15 but I swear to goodness my muffin top has shrunk.  I felt startled at first--thinking, "what's going on?  Am I sucking my gut in?"  Short answer, no, I was not sucking my gut in (for once).  And I stood there a lot longer than I should have and thought, "I look really attractive today."  Shallow?  Definitely.  Something I've rarely, if ever, said to myself?  Absolutely.  Then it dawned on me that i was wearing my work pants that were normally the ones I had to breathe deep to zip up and left little for the tiny button that held everything together.  How it never shot off and hit someone in the eye is beyond me.  But I don't think I have to worry about that anymore.

There I was, in my company's bathroom complimenting myself.  I don't know what the scale will say and frankly, I don't know if I care too much.  It felt good to emotionally hug myself and say "WOW!" to my OWN body.

Don't you dare think you are shallow for appreciating how beautiful you are and how well your body is responding--that is massive. So many can't begin to love themselves and you are appreciating how wonderful you are and it is showing. Shallow! I disagree--celebrate celebrate celebrate. xxxL

...I want to encourage every one to stay the course - it is SOOO worth it. You learn so much about our food in this country, as well as what works for you. I am so much better for what I did last Sept. But I think I have it down for me. I need to get back to just bad sleep, not very bad sleep!

Peace... And good luck.

Good luck catching up on some zzzzzz's... may the sandman find you and bless you...!!

Hi all, haven't posted for a bit, I am leaving you and wanted to make sure you knew why!!! So many drop out, wish we knew why!?!?

I did a complete Whole 30 last Sept. My primary reason then was to get better sleep and more energy. I did the reintro methodically, and I did find that gluten causes my sinus problems and have been fairly gluten free ever since. Huge learning!!!! I also found my joint pain went away and my menopause symptoms mostly were gone!!! Since then I would say I have been 80% whole 30. Definitely gave up gluten, legumes, the only dairy I do is cheese and I do that a few times a week! And I love my dark chocolate and fruit and wine and rice or just a few corn products. I definitely splurge once in a while. I don't grill the servers at restaurants but I order fairly clean. But other than sleep, my other NSV's have continued - great year!

I went into this again, hoping to get better sleep. I am at the same point as last year. For some reason my sleep is worse, much worse, as it was last year at the two week point. And it never got better then. And believe me my sleep situation was bad to begin with. I applaud all of you who are getting the best sleep of your lives but for me a big NO - again. The other problem is the same thing that went haywire for me last year, my nails are peeling like crazy. I have very bad nails but they get worse on whole30 apparently. Yes I've tried bone broth (3 months last year) and all the internet, OTC, and prescription suggestions for both sleep and nails. I apparently follow my mom (who did live to 93!). And yes I followed the template religiously this month, I don't need to post my meals. I admit what I experience may be more mental than physical? Oh well. That is me, I accept it. ( Re the sleep thing, I am one of the few that Ambien and other sleep aids have the opposite effect on, so that tells me I'm in trouble!)

I was fairly Whole30 before I started this year, and definitely did not need to lose weight (I am probably a few pounds down - and I weighed in at about what I did in high school!) I did not notice too much difference the first two weeks (e.g no carb flu, etc) except not sleeping and peeling nails! I really did this hoping the sleep thing would kick in this year.

I find I do better with 5 -6 small meals a day, but yes they are somewhat mini template type meals. I'm 58 and as an example yesterday was tennis in the am, some time in my workout room, then golf in the afternoon. I just do better with my mini meals. Works for me. I am in no way a sugar gal, my main source of sugar I would say is my red wine here and there, and I do some fruit... So oops!!!!! Trying to work the PWO Post WO as is possible for me.

I want to encourage every one to stay the course - it is SOOO worth it. You learn so much about our food in this country, as well as what works for you. I am so much better for what I did last Sept. But I think I have it down for me. I need to get back to just bad sleep, not very bad sleep!

Peace... And good luck.

I am sorry to hear about your sleep and agree you need to do what is best for you. Will send some sleep angels and hope you come back to see us. L

Archived