Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 14 !!

I treated my dh and kids to pizza tonight and I ate left over spagetti squash and meat sauce. And I wasn't even mad about it. 

My husband has been really good this whole time about eating only what I eat and the grand kids were here all day so I figured they deserved a treat. 

Today I had a bit of the tiger energy I read about. I did a lot of sewing _ made both a pattern and a dress, and I went to the gym with my daughter.

Last friday's gym session made my arms so sore I could not straighten them which I guess is sort of a non scale victory, so today I just walked on the treadmill. 

So I can check another day off!

Have a great week every one!

@E_OKeefe,  I tried quoting your post yesterday about too much energy, but the quote function on here doesn't seem to like me.  Weird.

Anyways, I was trying to ask what your exercise routine is.  Part of the reason I want to increase my work-out frequency/intensity is because I have so much more energy.  Which makes perfect sense if you think about it.  Humans were not meant to live the sedentary lifestyles we live now.  So as we eat the food we were meant to eat, our bodies are appropriately fueled, and they want us to move.

Day #15: Thanks for the taming of the sugar dragon tips Vozelle, I really like the image of being a warrior against it, I have to hold my ground when the 'eat fruit again' cravings strike! Reducing fruit intake DID NOT happen today but it's still a primary goal right now. Apparently tomorrow is Day #16 when "Tiger Blood" hits. We shall see. I don't think it will be quite that dramatic for me. I've been finding that most days I do feel better and my energy is higher but I still have my moments. Environmental factors contribute a lot too. I work part-time and stay home with my two-year-old son the other days. He's freaking awesome but he's two. Period. Anyway, made a ton of roasted vegetables, chicken breasts, and bison burgers today so should be set for a few. Goal for the week: make 2 new recipes and reduce FRUIT. I'm loving the food but starting to get a bit bored so I need to mix it up.  Thanks gang, keep truckin'! 

SuzeEG told me a bit ago that I'd learn to like EVOO with ACV instead of my usual balsamic as salad dressing, and it happened! I like the taste of the actual salad ingredients now, where before, the thick syrupy balsamic covered it up and I was ok with that. One more NSV for the books!

He's freaking awesome but he's two. Period. 

OMG, this made me laugh! My girls are 30 and 33, but "two" still stands out! 

Thanks for responses about energy. I am not exercising, and I think that's the problem. I wanted to take this month to focus on getting my diet right and use October to work in fitness, but I may have to start now before I explode! We're almost halfway there, gang! (Congrats to the people all ready there! )

Day 14!  Wow!  

I'm tired and ready to call it a night but I need to say hey to all of you and get a few more steps on my Fitbit.

All is well without the hubs at home and with the job that keeps me wishing for more.  All is well because I'm eating some kick arse delicious food for every meal and it's so so so good for me!  And that's the cool thing that brings us all here.  I'm sad to read struggles for each of you and so happy to read triumphs.  We're all getting it done, aren't we?!?!

(Did anyone watch the Swedish Chef video tonight on the Whole30 daily email? Hilarious!)

A few of you have said you don't like to do food prep in the morning.  I do all of my food prep...packing lunches...after dinner.  For the boys and me and breakfast for me.  Then I clean the entire kitchen and close it down!  It's a nice way to relax after a day away from the house...for me anyway...it's my favorite room in the house.  :)

peace.  g'night!

Day 14. I am just lurking in the background right now. Loving all your posts, they're really helpful and full of encouragement. Thanks.

My dreams are so vivid and fun right now I don't want to get out of bed. I am at nap, just let me sleep. I did do a new Zumba class today. I was able to keep moving the whole hour, but definitely was not as graceful as the rest of the ladies. Kickboxing was cancelled today, so glad I did Zumba.

My husband and I went to Applebee's the other day and our waitress was awesome. I was asking a million and one question about the three meals I chose she even brought out a loose leaf notebook of the ingredients in every meal on the menu. I couldn't believe there was 22 grams of sugar in a balsamic vinegar dressing, I thought would of been compliant.

M1; 4 eggs, avacodo and salsa, black tea

M2; chicken spinach salad w/ vinegar

M3; pork chops, apples, and onions

I had a banana for a snack

Have a great day everyone .

Hey guys been a crazy week for me with work and a tennis tournie with my daughter this past weekend. Went out to dinner Friday night and was able to stay compliant. Day 16 for me. My daughter and I spent our afternoon in the kitchen yesterday making all kinds of cool things out of the cookbook- chimichurri, Romesco, herb mayonnaise, salsa, pesto... we really had a lot of fun and she was really proud of what she made :) I roasted two chickens, cooked off some grass fed tenderloins... Did not get to move as much as I would have like to this past weekend and was robbed of my run two times last week due to work emergencies.

Kind of feel like I am in auto pilot mode here... not really cranking it but cruising along... Going to try to go to bed in next fifteen minutes as I think the later nights are causing me some trouble... The sugar dragon was nagging me tonight. My daughter was eating a piece of my Moms Shrewsbury cake with milk and man it looked good. I think I am going to try and get pedicure tomorrow as a non food treat.

I have to figure out how to deal with the increase demands of work and totally not get derailed here. Thinking good thoughts for everyone. Especially those going thru some tough times. Best!

One question - I have learned recently I have an allergy to eggs, now that I have not eaten them the last week feeling a lot better but now what for breakfast...seem to be getting stuck in a rut.  Any great non-egg breakfast ideas out there?

Anything you have at the other two meals of the day you can have at breakfast. Start thinking about breakfast as "meal 1."

Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast for links to many past discussions on this topic. Also check out this thread:http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28832-lets-talk-non-traditional-breakfasts/

It's great to read how everyone is doing so well with the increased energy and/or increased willpower to keep fighting that sugar dragon!  

Food continues to taste better everyday.  Had leftover salmon over a bed of greens with EVOO & ACV for M2 and pork roast slow cooked with onions and apples with sweet potatoes and broccoli for M3.  Fell back into the rut of banana and almonds for M1, but plan to do better tomorrow.

Going to bed early as I'm just loving that sleep :)  Hasta manana!!

I love this freakin' group... I read ALL your posts and am touched by your various experiences, insights and shares. Thank you for being here. 2 weeks down, GREAT job everyone, we're still in the game!

I had a crazy busy social weekend, so no time for the recipe challenge... thanks to those who posted shares on the parsnips, etc. My weekend included hosting a huge BBQ potluck party and there were noncompliant dishes all around. Not junky stuff, but homemade organic delicious mouth-watering casseroles, baked goods, dips and other tempting items. I stayed the course with compliant foods, though the "3 squares" turned into 4 or 5 hexagons (or something).

I am holding strong and SUPER proud of myself for going without my beloved NUTS for so loooooong. Four whole days, wow. That's a lot for me. Here in California, there are fires burning everywhere, and a good friend lost her home of 40 years... so I am just feeling grateful to have a roof over my head, and for not having to evacuate with a only backpack of belongings to my name. Things like this help shift my perspective. NUTS, really??!! THAT'S what I thought was important a few days ago?? Ha ha lol...

Just finished Meal 3 on Day 15, so halfway there!  Theoretically at any rate.  DH tried to start W30 on the 1st, but with being stuck offshore until the 10th, he had zero control over what food was offered to him.  He did the best he could & ate food that would have been compliant if cooked in the right oils/spices/etc.  So, his day 1 was really 10 days behind mine,  I'm planning on making this a Whole 40 & do that extra 10 days with him, then we can do our reintroduction together.  We shall see though, he may have to go offshore again next week, in which case I'll probably just stick with the original plan.  As great as I feel, I do want to know if my lattes will be a part of my future or not.  

He's not 100% sure he'll have a chance to get a full 30 days onshore in 2015, so his plan is just to stay as compliant as possible when offshore, then be 100% compliant when he is home.   We're heading back to Texas to visit at Christmas & he really wants to impress everyone with his weight loss by then.  He is looking good  :wub:

Hey all.. Great reads all!

Another day in W30 Paradise (sincerely, no sarcasm).  Feeling good today.  Last night I did the newly announced (#3) workout for this weekend and i was fairly impressed.  I am sore today (new move I have not done in years) but I am still fully functional.  Then this AM, I woke up and did workout #2 for the second time (which was a triplet of jumps, dead-lifts and running - 200 M).  Two workouts in 8 hours and I am still feeling pretty good.  

Food was good yesterday but I did not feel like dinner at all.  My daughter needed to go to Girl Guides so rather than hurry and scarf down a dinner, i waited... While out we went shopping for food (with my Wife) and got home to help finish homework.  Still (now 9 PM) I was not hungry so at 9:30, I went out to do the #3 workout and then cooled off before eating at 10:30 PM.

I am not a fan of late dinners - eating then going straight to bed, but it seemed to work for me last night.  Dinner was sausage, salad and a few potato wedges (baked - homemade).

Today's Meals:

M1 - Poached eggs, potato wedges

M2 - Pork chops, salad and apple

M3 - TBD???

I don't think I have Tiger Blood but I do have even, steady, reliable energy (but not through the roof).  I have had "tiger blood" before but I much prefer the clean energy that comes at this stage of the journey for me.

Cheers

DJ

Day 15! I'm was crazy tired this morning and almost skipped the gym. I'm eating a hardboiled egg before class and I don't feel like it's enough for the workout I do. Any ideas that aren't too complicated?

PrWo-harboiled egg, coffee

PoWo-egg white and sweet potato

M1-Spinach frittata, sausage

M2-Carnitas salad.

M3-I'm thinking about making chicken curry with cauliflower rice.

I'm really trying not to snack but when I get home at 4 and start making dinner, I'm really hungry. I tend to grab nuts or fruit. :(

Ok you guys! Congrats on making it halfway! I'm in day 15 and I choose to non-food celebrate with a splurge at Whole Foods. I got a 12 oz Klean Kanteen because apparently I don't need 16 oz of coffee anymore! Also, I loaded up on new spices and oils. I also got a stock of Penderson's paleo bacon. P.S. Does anyone know if they are changing their formula to include brown sugar? I only found a couple old ones amongst their seemingly new recipe. Help!! I also am going to try baby food as emergency nutrients. (I know it's not whole30 recommended but it sounded like a good travel hack online). So maybe a little food related, but happy to be looking towards healthier options and seeking them out! Press on fellow Whole30ers!

M1- Scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms, half apple, half avacado.

M2- Green chili chicked from Stupid Easy Paleo, Sweet potato, half avacado

M3- Mosy likely a steak and salad

Trying hard not to snack.

I ate a snack yesterday afternoon and it didnt settle well with my CrossFit WOD. Lessons learned.

Looking foward to sprints this afternoon. Keep up the good work everyone!

Oh WOW, after 10 weeks of eating and enjoying the same breakfast every day (poached eggs w/summer squash & roasted root veggies sauteed in ghee), I got bored. It was bound to happen eventually!... so finally made the Sweet Potato Hash everyone talks about: 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs (scroll down page for recipe)

It was SUPER yummy, and SUPER easy!! What fun it is to eat an awesome new compliant thing!  : )

Ok you guys! Congrats on making it halfway! I'm in day 15 and I choose to non-food celebrate with a splurge at Whole Foods. I got a 12 oz Klean Kanteen because apparently I don't need 16 oz of coffee anymore! Also, I loaded up on new spices and oils. I also got a stock of Penderson's paleo bacon. P.S. Does anyone know if they are changing their formula to include brown sugar? I only found a couple old ones amongst their seemingly new recipe. Help!! I also am going to try baby food as emergency nutrients. (I know it's not whole30 recommended but it sounded like a good travel hack online). So maybe a little food related, but happy to be looking towards healthier options and seeking them out! Press on fellow Whole30ers!

I eat the baby food packets every so often. I'm in the military and find that they fit nicely in my cargo pocket. I know they are not ideal, but they are 123 times better than the MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat) they provide. Plus, I love the look that the younger Soldiers have when they see me eating babyfood.

Day 15! I'm was crazy tired this morning and almost skipped the gym. I'm eating a hardboiled egg before class and I don't feel like it's enough for the workout I do. Any ideas that aren't too complicated?

PrWo-harboiled egg, coffee

PoWo-egg white and sweet potato

M1-Spinach frittata, sausage

M2-Carnitas salad.

M3-I'm thinking about making chicken curry with cauliflower rice.

I'm really trying not to snack but when I get home at 4 and start making dinner, I'm really hungry. I tend to grab nuts or fruit. :(

Two hard boiled eggs?  ;) Seriously though, add some more fat - mayo, olives or nut butter & that should help.

I also think if you ate more in general you'd negate the need for that afternoon snack. You don;t mention portion sizes, but your meals all look a little on the light side to me.

Also, I loaded up on new spices and oils. I also got a stock of Penderson's paleo bacon. P.S. Does anyone know if they are changing their formula to include brown sugar? I only found a couple old ones amongst their seemingly new recipe. Help!!

I had a problem finding it at WF this past weekend too.  I was able to get it two weeks ago and last week all they had was the applewood bacon.  I was so sad. I was really looking forward to making that recipe floating around for quiche with the sweet potato 'crust' using that bacon. I'm going to use ground sausage instead but I am on a mission though because that bacon is so good.  :)

Posting mid-day today. Got out of my food boredom rut last night. Threw together soup with what I had on hand. Luckily I had cooked a whole chicken Saturday I used the carcass to make broth. Added shredded chicken, potatoes, peppers, onions, cumin, chili pepper, jalapenos, and lots of cilantro. It was wonderful with avocado diced on top. Just as good today with my roasted sweet potato with cinnamon and walnuts(had to have some fats). Didn't sleep well so I needed the extra carbs in place of caffeine. I hope the restless night is the cause of my back pain and headache today. The stressor/cause of less than ideal sleep is gone today. 

Oh WOW, after 10 weeks of eating and enjoying the same breakfast every day (poached eggs w/summer squash & roasted root veggies sauteed in ghee), I got bored. It was bound to happen eventually!... so finally made the Sweet Potato Hash everyone talks about: 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs (scroll down page for recipe)

It was SUPER yummy, and SUPER easy!! What fun it is to eat an awesome new compliant thing!  : )

I love that recipe!  I also found this one:  http://thehealthyfoodie.com/sweet-potato-and-chicken-hash/ and I kind of mix the two up a little bit.  I use a little ACV instead of the apple cider.  It's better after it sits in the fridge for a couple of days.  :)

Here we are half way through! I had doubts I'd make it this far but it is getting easier. With all the good food we have and the new recipes I've tried I don't miss a thing.

I had to make a dessert to take to quilting bee tonight and you'll have to believe me but these ladies only consider baked goods desserts. I made the mistake one time of taking a fruit bowl. Anyway, I decided to make a cake because sweets are not very tempting to me and most important, I couldn't take a cake with a piece cut out. I'll give it to one of my friends to take to work tomorrow if there are leftovers.

I'm finding the daily newsletters to be so helpful. I'm really glad I subscribed.

Well, we've had house guests for a week and a half now and the last of them was driving home today so I won't feel obligated to cook a full meal every night for a bit and we can eat some leftovers - yay!   Supervised my ducklings free-ranging this morning before work so no time for a real M1 - had the usual banana and almonds and coffee at my desk.  M2 was lamb and sweet potato over a bed of mixed greens with lots of EVOO and some ACV.  I might toast some leftover broccoli - for some reason that sounds really good - and have leftover pork roast and cauliflower rice with it for dinner.

Archived