Starting Thurs Aug 13

NY2LA2MONTREAL

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be starting WHOLE 30 on Thursday.  We can't wait - any tips you may have regarding the first few days other than repeating over and over I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN will be greatly appreciated.    Based on the recipes I have seen and researched we will be eating REAL unadulterated food - so what could be bad...my weakness is CRUNCH - any suggestions?

I'd suggest you repeat over & over again 'I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN'  ;) 

If something is your weakness then it's best not to feed that weakness in a compliant way, rather stamp the weakness out - the best way to deal with a craving of any kind is with protein & fat.

Welcome to Whole30  :)

I am also starting on Thursday, the 13th! This will be my second Whole30. My first was in January of this year. My husband and I did it together last time, and we switched our two boys to paleo around the same time. I had great success the first time. It was difficult at times, but I felt so empowered each time I chose foods that were good for me. I lost weight, but even better was how amazing I felt! I slept so well and had so much energy. I no longer felt bloated and my digestive system has never been better! After the Whole30, we stuck mostly to a paleo lifestyle. In the past few weeks though, things have gotten crazy. We over-indulged on a family vacation and haven't been able to get ourselves back on track. My oldest son starts school tomorrow so summer is over! We are back to a more consistent schedule so I am ready to hit reset on our eating. I can't wait to start feeling better and sleeping well!

• Administrators

I will be starting tomorrow as well. My challenge is eating breakfast since I'm out the door as early as 6am. It seems when I don't eat breakfast everything goes down hill. Wish me luck and all tips or advice are welcome.

Breakfast is really a huge part of the magic that people get further on in their Whole30.  There are lots of people that need that "grab and go" breakfast, take a look at some of these threads for help/inspiration!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15282-grab-and-go-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18677-breakfast-on-the-go/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6353-i-need-a-grab-go-breakfast-tired-of-egg-muffins/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1335-faston-the-go-breakfast-options/

Hi Everyone,

ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How exciting....I am looking thru the recipes in the book again....will be doing a  lot of cooking tomorrow.  I defrosted a lot of chicken and steak.  Going to get creative.  Also, I am making sure I always have hard boiled eggs available.

I am going to use the same game plan when I gave up smoking in 1990.  One day at a time and I did it.....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE....LET'S CHECK IN AFTER DAY 1

Enjoy your day!

I started today too!! I've got a virus, ear infection and sick baby but I was DETERMINED to start today (I got back from vacation yesterday). I didn't get three meals in but the two that I did were WHOLE and compliant! Having tea now!! Excited to slay my sugar (and wine) dragon.

Hi Jfitz,

I have a lousy cold and I too could not be deterred.   

You have to give yourself a big pat on the back....you had every excuse not to start -- that's inspiring.   My nemesis is sugar as well.

We just finished dinner.....here was my day

breakfast:  Steak, 2 sunnyside up egges, 1/2 sweet potato

lunch:  Salmon cakes and a big salad

Dinner:   chicken meatballs and sauteed veggies (onions, mushrooms and bell pepper)

I also made some clarified butter...

It is now 8:50PM EST and I am exhausted but a good exhausted.

My husband who is Type 2 diabetic - had consistent sugar readings today (good one's I might add) and I was thrilled.

What I am really appreciating about this program is the support from the people in the forum....if we ever have a problem there is someone there to help.

Let's check back with one another tomorrow.   Good Luck

and FEEL BETTER

Day 1- done and successful!!

M1- eggs, small amount of fruit

M2- mid-morning - raw veggies (I have never been able to handle veggies at breakfast... I know it's a mental thing, but ew. So I have veggies mid-morning.)

M3- chicken salad, raw veggies

M4- Pakistani Kima - a new recipe that was delicious! I had green beans I needed to use from the small garden in our backyard so I Googled Whole30 recipes with green beans and ground beef. It was a great find!

Feeling good! We used the last of our homemade mayo and ketchup today so that's on my cooking agenda for tomorrow. Great job to everyone for making it through Day 1!!

Hi guys,

Not trying to make any excuses but I have a new baby who is 2 months old; so sleep is almost non-existent and stress is always relatively high but I'm only 24 with high blood pressure so I need this program very much. I was really debating on whether I should post or not because I made major changes but still came up short in some areas and succumbed to some carbs and grains but today is a new day so I'm going to keep posting and trying to improve. Yesterday's meals:

M1-2 boiled eggs,mixed veggies,coffee with a small amount of creamer

M2-2 boiled eggs and green beans

Snack- 2 apples and graham crackers [naughty :( ]

M3- 1 hamburger patty, green beens, 6oz juice [also naughty :( ]

Yesterday I felt an energy and mood increase even though it was only day one. I can say I do feel less bloated and it might just be in my head but I feel like my stomach appears smaller. I am a scale junkie so I threw that out so yeah no weighing other than an initial one I took on my parents scale.lol. One day at a time and I know I will eventually get there.

• Administrators

Day 1- done and successful!!

M1- eggs, small amount of fruit

M2- mid-morning - raw veggies (I have never been able to handle veggies at breakfast... I know it's a mental thing, but ew. So I have veggies mid-morning.)

M3- chicken salad, raw veggies

M4- Pakistani Kima - a new recipe that was delicious! I had green beans I needed to use from the small garden in our backyard so I Googled Whole30 recipes with green beans and ground beef. It was a great find!

Feeling good! We used the last of our homemade mayo and ketchup today so that's on my cooking agenda for tomorrow. Great job to everyone for making it through Day 1!!

Congrats on Day 1!  I just wanted to let you know that your hormones and metabolism will thank you in spades if you can work your way through eating veggies at breakfast, thereby going 4-5 hours between meals.  Try roasting those raw veggies in some fat at a high temp which crispy-caramelizes them and leaves them tender and sweet on the inside.  Although today is day one, you might want to watch yourself with those raw veggies too, they can be pretty hard on the digestive system and your body is already going to be going through some transitions.  Just a tip.

Now, recipe/link for Pakistani Kima, please!  :)

Hi everyone,

How exciting.  I never thought I would be this excited about food.

My cold is getting worse :(.  But... ​

Made an incredible breakfast today.  Sauteed onions, mushrooms and bell pepper; made 3 sunny side up eggs; 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cucumber; 1/4 tomato and two left over chicken meatballs from last night....

Lunch:  left over salmon cakes and a big salad

HAVE A SUCCESSFUL DAY!!!!!

I so easily could have abandoned the whole deal today, but I stayed strong and resisted temptation! I provide childcare in my home and one of the dads showed up with six huge cookies from one of our favorite places. Also, my neighbor brought over chocolate covered strawberries as a thank you for some things we've done for them recently. Both were very nice gestures and very much appreciated, but boy was it torture to look at them all day!

Fixed hamburgers and roasted carrots for dinner. Our garden is almost empty so we've been light on veggies this week. I went shopping tonight and picked up a bunch of things. We'll get some more at the farmers market in the morning. We have a birthday party at a friend's house tomorrow evening so my plan is to eat a mini-meal at home before we go. Hopefully there will be something there that I can enjoy, but if not I can have another mini-meal when we get home.

Joyful,

a suggestion, bring a dish as a gesture...this way you are assured of something you can eat....

Hang in there

Just finished dinner --- made seared chicken breasts with roasted broccoli and cauliflower.  made the chicken in Coconut Oil Yuck  -- the chicken was fine but I am going to use Chicken fat - will get some from the butcher.   I had to take Caprylic Acid supplements years ago and it was coconut based and tasted like soap...so no more coconut oil...I will use chicken fat, gee and bacon....but no more Coconut oil

Hi! I started Aug 13 as well. Round 2 after a two year absence and creeping bad habits. I'm a big smoothie fan which helps with those breakfasts on the go and I swear I could swim in coconut oil... love the stuff... but I need to learn to make ghee. Another change for me is the long-dreaded Black Coffee. Last time around I just didn't drink coffee, but it was the first thing I grabbed after Day 30 (the wine came about a week later) so this time I will learn to like it black. :) You all sound like you are doing well. Yay for us!

Hi Seafarer, welcome back.  My husband (Mr. Studio City)  and I just finished Day 2 and had a lovely breakfast this morning.  2 sunny side up eggs, 3 very small chicken scallopini, 1/2 huge tomato and a few chunks of pineapple.

Unlike you,  I cannot stand the coconut oil but I will use chicken fat and ghee.

I made clarified butter/ghee for the first time - it took a little time but I did it.  My next feat.....MAYO

FYI, I am posting a daily log on the forum - a way to keep me honest -- you might want to consider doing the same.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Hi everyone! Five days done! Weekends are always more difficult for me because we are not in our normal routine, but this was a good one. Everything went well at the birthday party Saturday evening. I found several things that I could eat and didn't need a mini-meal when we got home.

Today's meals:

M1- hard-boiled eggs, bacon, fruit

M2- big salad with tomato, cucumber, bacon, eggs, homemade dressing

M3- family ordered pizza so I got a big salad with chicken, tomato, cucumber, and also had a baked potato with bacon

HAPPY today.... I attended an away-from-home event & packed meals for myself, just in case. I was told I wouldn't need 'em, but I packed 'em anyway. Hooray for me.... the only other available "food" was a food truck. Happy for coolers and the admonishment to PLAN!

Hi! I started Aug 13 as well. Round 2 after a two year absence and creeping bad habits. I'm a big smoothie fan which helps with those breakfasts on the go and I swear I could swim in coconut oil... love the stuff... but I need to learn to make ghee. Another change for me is the long-dreaded Black Coffee. Last time around I just didn't drink coffee, but it was the first thing I grabbed after Day 30 (the wine came about a week later) so this time I will learn to like it black. :) You all sound like you are doing well. Yay for us!

Sorry, but Smoothies are not recommended on Whole30 for two reasons: they tend to be fruit heavy so can cause spikes in blood sugar,particularly when taken in the morning, and they are much less satiating than food that you chew as it is the act of chewing which kick starts the digestion process. Try making egg/veg muffins or a frittata that you can also grab & go. 

Hi everyone! Five days done! Weekends are always more difficult for me because we are not in our normal routine, but this was a good one. Everything went well at the birthday party Saturday evening. I found several things that I could eat and didn't need a mini-meal when we got home.

Today's meals:

M1- hard-boiled eggs, bacon, fruit

M2- big salad with tomato, cucumber, bacon, eggs, homemade dressing

M3- family ordered pizza so I got a big salad with chicken, tomato, cucumber, and also had a baked potato with bacon

Your meal one is missing veg and depending on how many eggs you had may also be low in protein. Bacon is a fat on Whole30, and a serving  of eggs when they are your only protein source is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is genrally 3-4. Fill up on veggies first (the recommendation  is for 1-3 cups per meal with 3 being optimal), and if you still have room then have some fruit - there is nothing you will get from fruit nutrionally that you won;t get in superior quantities from vegetables.

Well done on dodging the pizza!

Thanks jmcbn! I'm afraid I started the day with a smoothie again, but will check out the breakfast recommendations before tomorrow's breakfast. I do throw a handful of dehydrated kale (from my garden) and two raw eggs into my smoothies (& sometimes half a Shakeology pouch), which I suppose helps, but still isn't optimal, correct?

Thanks jmcbn! I'm afraid I started the day with a smoothie again, but will check out the breakfast recommendations before tomorrow's breakfast. I do throw a handful of dehydrated kale (from my garden) and two raw eggs into my smoothies (& sometimes half a Shakeology pouch), which I suppose helps, but still isn't optimal, correct?

Actually the Shakeology (or any kind of meal replacement) goes against everything that Whole30 stands for so it is definitely out for your 30 days.

Honestly, just eat real food.

Have you checked the ingredients on the shakeology? I know a lot of similar products contain oats or other grains in some fashion and artificial sweeteners etc...at least they used to here (it's been a while though so maybe it's all changed)

Yep, whey, pea & brown rice protein, quinoa, non GMO fructose & stevia for starters - all off limits during a Whole30.

And as I said above regardless of the ingredients it's a meal replacement - we're here to eat actual food not a list of ingredients purporting to be a superfood....

Archived