Whole30 fail ... made it 4 days

bepsue

I started a Whole30 on August 18. I am new to the concept but read all of the manifestos, rules, etc. and did great August 18, 19 and 20.

On the 21st, a Friday, I had brought some leftover salmon for lunch and when I heated it up, it dried out a lot and I couldn't choke it down. So, I had no protein for lunch. Long story short, by the time I got home from work that evening, I was so ravenous that I literally felt like I was losing my mind. I wolfed down a bowl of Cheerios with milk, and that was pretty much the end of my Whole30.

Fast-forward to today. I'd like to try again. Does anyone have any tips on avoiding the scenario above?

I could also use some advice on what to eat for Meal 1. I'm not sure I can bring myself to swallow another egg, even though I like them. A girl can only eat so many eggs.

Also, I have a 19-month-old and a husband who is always knee-deep in a project, meaning most of our daughter's care falls to me. His projects are worthwhile (usually renovating our house) and I love spending time with my daughter, but I'm seriously strapped for time and I am feeling discouraged that I can ever manage to plan in advance enough to complete an entire Whole30.

• Administrators

Hi bepsue,

The main trick to avoiding cheerios and milk being your fall-on meal when this sort of thing happens is to either make enough food that you always have leftovers in the fridge or run through this scenario before you start and mentally practice what you will choose. Did you have canned salmon or sardines in the cupboard? Could you have scrambled some eggs in less than 2 minutes? Could you have eaten an apple to take the edge off so that you could take a breath and think about making a meal? I suspect that cheerios was not your only option....but that your brain kicked a stink and you didn't have a plan in place for how you might handle such a situation.

You can google "Whole30 no egg breakfast" for tonnes of ideas on what to eat. The summary: anything you would normally eat at any other meal can be breakfast.

As far as not having a lot of time, welcome to almost everyone's situation. Not trying to be a crank at all, just that I don't know a tonne of people (anyone, actually) who have the luxury of no other draws on their time. So we figure out how to make it work with doing a huge pre-cook for a couple hours on the weekend or making twice the quantity of dinner so we have leftovers or ensuring the freezer has frozen veggies and that there is always hard boiled eggs or canned fishes available in a pinch.

Google "Whole30 weekly cookup" and you'll get lots of prep ideas!

Good luck!

• Moderators

You really do have to plan ahead and stock your pantry in order to do a Whole30. Once you've done this, you can go home to a cupboard full of good food to choose from (and relegate other people in the house's non-Whole30 food to a cabinet you never open).

1. Read/listen to Nom Nom Paleo's invaluable "Desperation Dinners" and act on her suggestions.

2. Stock up on food that takes little to no work to prepare:

canned tuna

canned sardines

canned salmon

canned olives

canned sweet potatoes

(read every label to be sure all ingredients are compliant)

3. I highly recommend Well Fed cookbook. It got me through my first Whole30 almost painlessly with the "Weekly Cookup" and the "Hot Plates" sections, not to mention the delicious, quick and easy recipes that never disappointed. Flavor overload! Here's a helpful preview.

Finally, spend the $15 for the Whole30 Daily. Well worth 50 cents a day to get a motivational email every day of your Whole30. Sign up the day BEFORE you start.

You can do this!

Plan, plan, plan. Don't put yourself in the position where you come home and open the fridge and wonder what to make for supper. I'm not a big "weekly" planner, but knowing what I'm making tomorrow night for supper is always the bare minimum. And I stock my fridge with things like eggs, coconut milk, tons of veggies, etc. 

The prep thing is huge. I'm only on day 3 and thought I was prepared. Uh, not so much. Now I'm having to play catch-up. 

Yesterday I couldn't have eaten every candy in the Halloween aisle at Target, but I grabbed a bottle of water and sipped it until I got home. A handful of unsweetened coconut flakes held me over until I get supper cooked and served at 7:30. (see, unprepared.)

I am cooking for my parents and my nephew, so I make extra of the things I eat and just enough of the things they eat. And put my extra in different containers in the fridge. 

As for Meal 1, I'm already so. over. eggs. Ugh. I've been "hiding" them in my breakfast. Sweet potato hash with onions and peppers, and then scrambling them in with a dash of cinnamon. Top with cubed avocado and you can't even taste the egg or the texture!

Thank you ladyshanny and ultrarunnergirl for the tips, too!

Good luck; you can do it bepsue!

As for Meal 1, I'm already so. over. eggs. Ugh. I've been "hiding" them in my breakfast. Sweet potato hash with onions and peppers, and then scrambling them in with a dash of cinnamon. Top with cubed avocado and you can't even taste the egg or the texture!

As well as ladyshanny's suggestion of googling Whole30 Non Egg Breakfast here's a great thread about what some people here have for breakfast - it just takes a little bit of a change of mindset.....

Hubby bought me a spiralizer last week and I have been spiralizing every veggie I can get my hands on, and I have been having spiralized salads for breakfast and lunch and zoodles and more spiralized noodlie goodness. Maybe go for something like that, rather than just eggs? I have meat either in my spiralized salads or along side. I am also a big one for leftovers for breakfast. Spiralized veggies even taste different than just sliced or chunked up veggies. 

One thing that helped me is in the book it said, "Grow up!" -- they said it to refer to people who don't like their vegetables, but I think that it is perfectly relevant here (and many of the "difficult" situation we just starting Whole30 find ourselves in) We don't always have to like our food.  Believe me if I can eat meat after 15years of being a vegetarian you can do it too!

I do totally sympathize with the no time thing though!  This is TIME-CONSUMING in ways I did not expect.

Archived