Starting September 7

giss7diaz

I didn't have much interest in doing a cookup this week, so I made some garlic cauliflower mash, and an eggplant/sausage strata thing and called it a day.  Oh, and spicy tuna cakes in the morning.  So I have *some* stuff.  Good thing I have a bunch of stuff frozen from previous weeks, because I am in NOPE NOPE NOPE mode today. 

My husband made me a spinach, mushroom and garlic omelet for breakfast, and then I made him waffles.  I didn't even feel tempted, which is pretty nice.  Although I had a dream much like giss7diaz's!  I accidentally ate a cookie and started to cry because I had to start over.  I don't remember these dreams from my first time, but maybe I had them then too.

We also went on a walk to see what might make a good route for me to start doing Zombies Run! (Or, more accurately, their couch potato to 5k program.)

Good job on rockin' out your Whole30 while out and about, Lauren.  That is an area in which I am still very hesitant.  I'm kind of a hermit anyway, so staying in is pretty normal....but I almost feel like I *can't* go out.  Maybe I'll follow your example and try a date night.

Congrats to everyone on completing their first week!

Zombies Run! is sooooo much fun!!!   enjoy!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome job everyone this weekend and completing week 1!

Yesterday was the thoughest day for me in terms of temptation. I went to a friend's house to watch football and for dinner everyone was getting five guys. I brought sparkling water and compliant snacks but was getting hungry. I researched five guys whole30 compliant options and was able to get a burger wrapped in lettuce with tomato, onions and mushrooms. The smell of the fries of my friends was soooo tempting but i didnt cave. After they all ate they were talking about how full and bad they felt that they ate all that food and it made me happy that i felt fine because i didnt eat the bad food. 

One thing that i've realized is that now i am more aware of the signals my body is sending me. I am more aware of when im actually hungry and when it is a craving. I am loving that!

Lately, i havent been sleeping as good as i did the first 2-3 days. I've been waking up in the middle of the night. I cant wait to be able to sleep better, its one of my goals for this whole30. 

Today i spent most of the day cooking!! Im exhausted, but i know it will be worth it when i save a lot of time during this week because of everything that i prepared. I made the chocolate chili, chicken fajitas (obviously no tortillas), shredded some sweet potato for breakfast hash and prepared some salads for lunches. What did everyone prep for this week?

I'm with ya G7D!! Spent the day prepping so much food... korean ribs from NomNom, beef paprikash, Ghee, garlic rosemary chicken, beef jerky and of course meals for the day (eggs & veggies for dinner, Adell's sausage & veggies for lunch)

I get the Whole30 Daily email & just today they talked about the importance of good sleep... in my last Whole30 it was week 3 before my sleep got better... but I remember how great it felt to sleep thru the night several nights in a row... sooooooooo restful!  You'll enjoy it when it comes :)

Hi everyone! I'm the last guest to arrive at the party - today will be my Day 1. This is my third Whole30. 

I did prep yesterday - big grocery shop-up, meal plan (I've been using http://realplans.com/), & I prepared Sweet Potato Quiche (http://grokgrub.com/2013/06/10/recipe-sweet-potato-quiche/) for this week's breakfasts. I modify the original recipe by reducing the sweet potatoes from 3 lb. to 2 lb. & adding whatever greens I have available (usually a few ounces of frozen spinach). 

So I had the quiche for breakfast with some avocado & strawberries. Lunch today will be Greek salad (without feta cheese, with marinated chicken) & for dinner I'm making a batch of Chocolate Chili from clothesmakethegirl.

I feel a little ashamed in that I haven't had any difficulties with this diet so far but it is pretty much what I would typically eat - when I take the time to prepare my meals.  This summer I got off track with meal prep and I let the sugar dragon take over.  So I'm surprised I haven't had any temptations or physical adjustments to go through but I'm sure they'll come.  We are in the middle of moving to a new house - so I don't have a lot of down time and that helps keep me on track.

I spent both last weekend and this weekend prepping food for the week.  Yesterday I made "Lubia" - green beans, tomatoes, onions, beef cooked together and usually served on rice.  I at mine without rice and I was OK with that.  Also cooked chicken to use for salads for lunch.  I made an Asian soup to eat for breakfast: lots of veggies, chicken, homemade bone broth, swiss chard, cilantro, lime juice, and coconut milk - first time I made it and it's awesome!

Does anyone use an on-line food/menu planner?  I used to use ziplist until it was discontinued.  Last weekend I found plantoeat.com and it's great for menu planning, recipe clipping (you can copy the web address to store your recipes), and grocery lists.  It's free for the first 30 days and there is a charge after that.  Just wondering if anyone has come across a free planner?

Make it a great day!

Yooper_Chick, I've been using Real Plans for meal planning/shopping lists/storing recipes. I've been pretty pleased with it, but it's not free. Monthly, it's $14/month, paying quarterly works out to $11/month, & paying annually works out to $6/month. Also, you can pay ~$1/month extra & have a bunch of Nom Nom Paleo recipes available. Of course, you can also import NNP recipes or any other recipes you want. There's an app that goes with the website, which is really handy for grocery shopping (it has your list on the app & you check stuff off as you buy it).

I'm so happy that everyone seems to be doing well! There sure is a sense of empowerment when you eat right and do everything right for the day... at least there is for me. 

Yooper_Chick- Don't feel bad that you haven't had a lot of symptoms, that's a good thing!

Angleddge- Welcome to our group! I'm sure you will be a great resource for some of us first timers  B)

JNardin- I agree! I slept all through last night without waking up once and it felt GREAT! It's so nice to have your alarm go off and actually wake up feeling refreshed. 

Currently on lunch at work, eating some asparagus. I never thought I would EVER enjoy the taste of asparagus, but here I am eating it and actually liking it! I watched a few youtube videos from other W30ers as well as one from Melissa Hartwig (Spelling?). Needed that kick in the butt to keep myself in line and not let myself have a late night snack. 

Happy day 8! ^_^

It looks like everyone is getting into the swing of things. I have been really busy that I have not even had time to come on the website. Week 1 has not been too bad except that mid week I was getting stomach aches and mild headaches. But everything has disappeared closer to the end of the week and weekend. Thank goodness.

So far so good for me.

I am even managing to exercise. I found when I did my first Whole 30, I did not exercise but this time it is going smoothly!

I did a lot of prep yesterday and had lots of energy.

I am planning a Murder Mystery Dinner on Friday night, anyone have any awesome meals (casseroles preferably) that they have made that are tasty!   :unsure:

Let me know!

Was the RenFaire fun/ worth the price without being able to eat the food? I live in Springfield, VA and we went a couple of years ago and had a blast with our kids (I remember lots of pigging out on pretty terrible food).

Whoops, this was for IronGirlTrixie- apparently I didn't quote correctly!

It depends on what you're going for. I lean toward music and people watching. We were there for about 6 hours. I brought a scotch egg and dressing. Then bought a salad to go with it. My friends bought their meals and they knew I would be bringing things. One friend bought funnel cake fries. The sugar on them made my stomach turn just looking at it. So while she snacked, I wandered into shops. Also seeing the sundaes while in the past would've made me go yum... But I looked at it and remembered how it made me sick last time I had ice cream and I wasn't tempted.

I was highly entertained by the costumes people came up with.

But earlier in the season there are family days that might be better than say a lot of the debauchery and um.. exposure you're kids would be around. Although pirate weekend is next weekend....

A co-worker who is currently on maternity leave showed up today with homemade cakes for every department, which she then drizzled with honey.  Good thing I was leaving right at that moment! That is exactly the sort of thing I will rationalize because it is homemade.  Tomorrow I will be sure to eat a really good breakfast before I go in, I'm sure most of it will still be there.

Hope everyone is doing great!

I'm with ya G7D!! Spent the day prepping so much food... korean ribs from NomNom, beef paprikash, Ghee, garlic rosemary chicken, beef jerky and of course meals for the day (eggs & veggies for dinner, Adell's sausage & veggies for lunch)

I get the Whole30 Daily email & just today they talked about the importance of good sleep... in my last Whole30 it was week 3 before my sleep got better... but I remember how great it felt to sleep thru the night several nights in a row... sooooooooo restful!  You'll enjoy it when it com2es :)

sounds great! Can you please share your beef jerky recipe?

Hello fellow Whole30ers! 

Happy day 9 everyone. I have a confession today... I accidentally ate deli chicken breast with dextrose in it. The ingredients were printed small at the bottom of the label and I saw it and stopped eating it immediately. From what I've seen from other forums, eating a small amount of dextrose on accident doesn't constitute reason to have to restart the entire program. So I'm going to keep going. 

I have been getting stomach aches after meals and I'm not sure what would cause this. Actually got my husband to start the Whole 30 today and he's going to see what benefits he can reap from it as well. 

Overall, I feel that I have more drive and am able to say no to my cravings much easier. I am starting to actually feel proud of myself for accomplishing this. I never thought I would be able to go this long without sweets. It's honestly an addiction and I'm happy to be kicking it! I have found that the busier I am, the less I have cravings and think about food. Today at work I was swamped and didn't think about food except for the designated times for breakfast and lunch. 

I have found that the W30 is actually a good excuse out of things you don't want to do. For example, some friends were going out for drinks tonight and I really am not big on drinking during the work week to begin with so I said "No, thank you.. I'm doing the whole 30." And I got the typical peer pressure of "Oh c'mon you can have one cheat day!" But I stayed strong and stood my ground. (Probably helped that I didn't feel like going anyway)

I would also love the beef jerky recipe! 

Hope everyone had a great day 9! 

Tomorrow means 1/3 of the way done!!  :)

Yesterday afternoon I was emotionally in the dumps. So this morning I put on a dress I haven't worn in awhile and I'm rocking it! It does all the right things in the right places! Non-scale victory! I'm also feeling very tired this afternoon.

I am also feeling very tired this afternoon and have a slight headache. Isnt this supposed to stop by now? 

I think the reason that i may feel tired is because i've been eating chocolate chili for lunch this week which is kind of heavier than a salad or something like that for lunch but all it has is compliant ingredients so im not sure. 

Cant wait for boundless energy!!

Sorry everyone, I slipped and fell. First, for no reason at all, a little cream in an iced coffee. The next day, too many nuts, today, I gave in and had wine.

Taking a day or two off, although off is mostly cleAn, and then starting again....all over. I know I want to eat thus way for the rest of my life, but I also know I need the 30 days to reset my system, nourish myself, and then gradually reintroduce foods to test how they suit me.

Good luck to you all. Hang in there because you WILL see great benefits...I did during my first Whole 30.

• Moderators

I am also feeling very tired this afternoon and have a slight headache. Isnt this supposed to stop by now? 

I think the reason that i may feel tired is because i've been eating chocolate chili for lunch this week which is kind of heavier than a salad or something like that for lunch but all it has is compliant ingredients so im not sure. 

Cant wait for boundless energy!!

You might want to post a couple of days' of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep over in the Troubleshooting section of the forum -- maybe someone will see something that you could change to make a difference.

In general, common things that people do that result in them feeling tired include not eating enough in general (be sure you include pre- and post-workout meals if you are working out), not eating enough fat in particular, not eating at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day, not drinking enough water (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, aim for at least 60 oz), and not salting their food.

*Off scale victory* My engagement ring is usually tight, but is slipping and sliding around my finger when I crochet or type. It's already a size 3, so I'm not sure how much smaller they could go! Might have to do something though, because I don't want it falling off... 

Really getting the hang of the eating thing. Trying to always incorporate protein and veggies into each meal with some fruit. So far, so good! One thing about the whole30 is that it's not cheap... produce is expensive!

This morning was a drag getting up out of bed to go work out. Still waiting to experience the "bounds of energy" that people talk about, although I do feel more charged each day. Today and tomorrow are the days that we're most likely to give up, so everyone keep pushing! We are almost to the half way point. It will feel great just to know that we did the challenge and made it through. 

And.. we get to take after pictures at the end and compare (lol).

Anyone got anything fun going on this weekend? Happy day 10!

So, I've been going through this thing so far with swagger. . . "I've done this before, this is easy....blah blah blah"  But these past couple of days, I have *cravings*  AND food seems gross.  My husband made me an egg scramble with veggies this morning and I couldn't finish it.  I think I had enough food, it was a BIG scramble...but everything seemed just yucky.  Yesterday's breakfast too.  I decided to look at the timeline, which I had mostly ignored my first go around and it seems to fit.  Except for the being grossed out by food part...don't know what that is about.  But that feeling in the morning pre-dated Whole30, I was just hoping it would stay away.  

I'm staying strong and I started my Zombies Couch potato to 5k this week, which feels nice.  But now I'm not quite so cavalier about the experience.  Yes, I can do it.  No, it won't be a breeze.  

Merg, are you  going to hang out with us still or are you taking a break form All Things Whole30 until you restart?  It's been nice having you around.  I'll be going again at the end, still haven't decided if I'm going to Whole 60 or take a week off and start another Whole30 then.  Maybe we'll see each other again in another forum.

Today is my Day 12.  Good luck everyone!

I actually use a "G's Hot Jerky Mixx"  spice mix from the Old Town Spice Shop in Fort Collins, CO.  ( https://oldtownspiceshop.com/ ) I mix it with ground beef, roll it to 1/8 inch thick & then I put it in my dehydrator for a bunch of hours. spicy yumminess!

That gave me an idea to look around a bit, since I'm not a super spicy fan [except in personality ;)].  I found a recipe I'm willing to try over the weekend.

http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/2011/02/really-tasty-beef-jerky-soy-free-gluten.html  and since I don't have the BBQ spice but have the ingredients for this

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/05/21/bbq-seasoning/  I'm willing to take on an adventure in the kitchen.  I'll let you all know how it goes.

Since my head was in let's play in the kitchen mode...

Another recipe favorite in case you were ready to try something new.  I was craving this one something fierce this week.

http://primalblissnutrition.com/2014/08/tuna-zoodle-casserole-with-smoked-paprika-by-primal-bliss-nutrition/

Currently my favorite kitchen tool:  the Inspiralizer.  Uses the whole veggie and super easy to use and clean.

Have a great day 11 folks!

How's everyone doing? 

I've had a tough week. On monday i went to a football game (falcons vs eagles) and it was my first NFL game so i was very excited to go. It was hard not to drink or eat anything. I was able to find some club soda with lime and just had that along with some compliant snacks i sneaked in. I ended up having a great time. Then this week at work there's been all kind of snacks, very tempting. Today there was a big box of doughnuts that i even opened to see what was in there, I really wanted one!! but i took a walk instead and had water. 

I also keep having mild headaches on the afternoons. I think its because im not drinking enough water. I've been super busy at work so i just forget. I need to do better on drinking water. 

I have an aunt staying with me with a couple of weeks and I have her eating whole30 meals. It feels good to share with others. 

I hope everyone is doing great!!

Beautiful Monster, thanks for responding...I totally get being sort of swagger/cavalier about I Know How To Do This.....a definite part of my attitude, and yet I find myself slipping in to snacking....drinking coffee (I know, compliant) but not great for me staying centered and on task. .....and then next thing you know, I say to my spouse: "sure, I will have a LITTLE glass of wine"....

And I keep trying the mindset of "I want to eat this way for the rest of my life" (more or less), which is totally TRUE...I would like to keep eating this way (and not drinking) because it make me feel GREAT.

But the mistake I have been making is when I think I can go out to eat and not interrogate the waitstaff about whether there is sugar in the salad dressing....or go to my fav take out place on the way home and pick up chicken salad without asking what kind of mayo they use, etc...

I don't like the hypervigilence of the actual Whole 30, although I LOVE the principles. That is the juggling act I've been doing and it just hasn't gotten me past day 10....on two tries....

So, thanks to YOU, I will jump back in tomorrow (ate corn chips today)...with BOTH FEET and a heart devoted to PURE compliance.

And MAYBE I can eat this way AFTER I nail a good solid Whole 30, although I suspect that I, also, would benefit from a Whole 60....and if I have a partner, I'll do much better. So, thanks for the encouragement. Let,s NAIL this.

Archived