Hoping to avoid antidepressant for PPD

SandJ

Not sure what to say. Forgive the lack of enthusiasm in my tone. Starting tomorrow. It's been an incredibly difficult year dealing with pretty severe postpartum depression. This is my last ditch effort to avoid anti-depressants and continue nursing for as long as possible. My sweet husband is doing it with me. My family deserves a whole mommy/wife. Hopefully the Whole30 can help give them that back. Good luck to everyone.

Hi SandJ - Welcome to Whole30!

Be sure to include plenty of starchy veg in your meals. Our recommendtion would be for at least a fist sized serving per day but I'd suggest you aim for a serving at two meals initially and see how you go. Also, embrace the fat - you need it for brain power, and for energy - and it will also help with moods.

As you are nursing don't be afraid to have a fourth meal, or at least a mini meal at some point in the day - and don't skimp on the water - you want to aim for at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Good luck - any questions just ask, and keep checking in for support....................!!  :)

You can take antidepressants while nursing mama and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm in the UK so the names will be different but there are several that are frequently prescribed here.

I hope your w30 helps you but if you need pharmaceutical support too it absolutely does not need to end nursing.

Not sure what to say. Forgive the lack of enthusiasm in my tone. Starting tomorrow. It's been an incredibly difficult year dealing with pretty severe postpartum depression. This is my last ditch effort to avoid anti-depressants and continue nursing for as long as possible. My sweet husband is doing it with me. My family deserves a whole mommy/wife. Hopefully the Whole30 can help give them that back. Good luck to everyone.

Just read your post and wanted to wish you luck and give you a big hug. The forum is a great source of support. So don't be shy.

• Administrators

As always, we are here to support your Whole30. But we are also here to support you as a human being and I want to remind you that there is no shame in taking a medication in order to help set right something that is out of balance in your body. Just as you wouldn't expect someone with a broken leg to avoid going to the doctor for assistance in setting it, no one expects you to suffer through this PPD without assistance.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for both you and your baby. We will support whatever choice that is, whether it's with or without medication.

Thank you all! I really appreciate the support and encouragement. I have the prescription and am prepared to take it if after this month I don't see some improvement. I know the whole30 won't be the 'be all, end all', but I'm hoping that it gives me some extra energy, helps me sleep better and improves my mood enough that I can do even more to help myself recover. I'm a little nervous about feeling worse and being grumpier. Our whole house needs to get back on track with clean eating so this can't hurt any of us. If things start to feel bumpy I may start the medicine and keep going with the whole30. I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing. Good luck to all. :)

• Moderators

If things start to feel bumpy I may start the medicine and keep going with the whole30. I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing. Good luck to all. :)

Just a reminder on anti-depressant medication... it takes around 2-3 weeks for it to build up in your system enough for you to start feeling better.... so if you feel you need it, take it... don't wait until it's a dire situation, okay?

I think I just commented to you on another thread - I just wanted to say you're absolutely not alone. 

There are also many online resources I can share with you if you need, I do a lot of volunteering w. many mom-support organizations. 

I don't want to share here because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to, today is my first day and I don't want to get in trouble. ;) 

But thinking of you and sending you well wishes. And as was mentioned earlier, medication is not bad, it is sometimes needed to help you get back to being you and feeling like yourself. Don't be afraid to find support in whatever ways work for you. 

• Administrators

I think I just commented to you on another thread - I just wanted to say you're absolutely not alone. 

There are also many online resources I can share with you if you need, I do a lot of volunteering w. many mom-support organizations. 

I don't want to share here because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to, today is my first day and I don't want to get in trouble. ;)

But thinking of you and sending you well wishes. And as was mentioned earlier, medication is not bad, it is sometimes needed to help you get back to being you and feeling like yourself. Don't be afraid to find support in whatever ways work for you. 

Feel absolutely free to share resources etc but if they are not Whole30 related, perhaps do so via PM so that we can keep the boards on point.  :)

Archived