Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's getting chilly here in the DC area, so I made a pot roast over the weekend and plan to make pork chops and applesauce (from Whole 30 book) tonight. I'm finally getting into a rhythm with food prep, and learning how to make enough protein to last a few days. I don't eat eggs (never liked them), so without dairy I need to rely on meat for protein.

I have to say, I feel great. My tummy is much calmer than it was last week, and that might be a result of eating warm cooked fruits and veggies rather than raw. I'll keep an eye on that.

Everyone enjoy day 22.

HELLLLLOOOOO!!!!  Anyone else coming to realize that you can actually tolerate black coffee?.... and tea?  I am getting the hang of the black coffee and know that it is one thing I'll keep doing after day 30.  What is really exciting to me is that I now enjoy tea.  I used to add tablespoons of honey or Truvia, and even then... I really didn't get any enjoyment (or point) of drinking a hot cup of tea.  BUT NOW... everything has changed... i can actually taste the flavor, and it's good!  Now i see why so many people like tea.  I guess my tastebuds had been so out of whack.  Anyone else coming to the same kind of realizations for tea? or for anything else?  

Wrapping up 23 here and enjoying my tea,

TCT2015

Almost a week left! I have been having a heck of a time the last few days with my appetite. The med I am back on increases appetite as a side effect and boy is it ever. I am staying compliant but I have begun snacking which I know is not encouraged. I had a huge dinner. HUGE. potato, onion, broccoli, and red pepper hash topped with 3 fried eggs and 4 slices compliant bacon. 2 hours later my stomach was rumbling. Ugh. I'm trying!!

I'm feeling really well today.  I feel like I needed this so badly that my timeline was shifted WAY back (e.g., my kill all things was on day 8 or so, followed by carb flue and tiger blood on day 23).  Made myself a giant bowl of chicken salad with pecans, dried cherries, fresh oregano and crunchy celery with lettuce for wrapping for lunch.

Although I have other 'dragons' I'm grateful sweets isn't one of them. I've always taken my coffee and tea black so don't have that struggle. I do have a half bottle of wine in my fridge that calls me like a siren in the night...lol

Cbiggs85- you should try adding a little more fat to your meals... it may help you feel full longer?

I'm loving my parchment paper! It's been in the 40's here and I'm just too stubborn to turn the heat on this early so my weekend cook up has been roasted vegs. Roasted eggplant, red peppers, cauliflower, broccoli,green beans, spaghetti squash, carnival squash, zucchini. Did sauté mushrooms and onions. I'm set for a week's worth of Mel Joulwan's hot plates. My kitchen is toasty. But, oh the parchment paper! Reusing the same sheet. And, oh, the minimal cleanup! And the vegs taste so good this way.

LOVE love love parchment paper and heating the house with the oven like this. So much this!

HELLLLLOOOOO!!!!  Anyone else coming to realize that you can actually tolerate black coffee?.... and tea?  I am getting the hang of the black coffee and know that it is one thing I'll keep doing after day 30.  What is really exciting to me is that I now enjoy tea.  I used to add tablespoons of honey or Truvia, and even then... I really didn't get any enjoyment (or point) of drinking a hot cup of tea.  BUT NOW... everything has changed... i can actually taste the flavor, and it's good!  Now i see why so many people like tea.  I guess my tastebuds had been so out of whack.  Anyone else coming to the same kind of realizations for tea? or for anything else?  

Wrapping up 23 here and enjoying my tea,

TCT2015

Many years ago I went on a diet and stopped putting cream and sugar in my coffee. Like you, I learned to really like the taste of black coffee, and the darker the roast the better. I've been experiencing the same thing with a lot of other flavors during the Whole30. I feel like my brain was always going after sweet stuff, and now I'm paying attention to other flavors instead.

Many years ago I went on a diet and stopped putting cream and sugar in my coffee. Like you, I learned to really like the taste of black coffee, and the darker the roast the better. I've been experiencing the same thing with a lot of other flavors during the Whole30. I feel like my brain was always going after sweet stuff, and now I'm paying attention to other flavors instead.

Am I the only one putting almond milk in my coffee?  I still have two black coffees with almond milk per day but I now it is compliant.  I have not tried coconut milk.  Just seems like everyone is drinking their coffee black so I'm wondering if I'm off-base here.

Happy day 23 everyone.  I'm already considering continuing the whole30 after day 30.  Just too worried something bad snuck in there when eating out.  Paranoia.  I just feel like I need a little more time and know I can do it longer.

Am I the only one putting almond milk in my coffee?  I still have two black coffees with almond milk per day but I now it is compliant.  I have not tried coconut milk.  Just seems like everyone is drinking their coffee black so I'm wondering if I'm off-base here.

Happy day 23 everyone.  I'm already considering continuing the whole30 after day 30.  Just too worried something bad snuck in there when eating out.  Paranoia.  I just feel like I need a little more time and know I can do it longer.

As long as your almond milk is compliant, you're good to go.  I started using coconut milk because I couldn't find any compliant almond milk.

Hello everyone!  I've tried on SEVERAL occasions to post here, but for some reason I get an error message every time!  It's usually from my phone, so I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with that...VERY frustrating!

Anyway, Happy Day 23!  I don't know about you all, but I think we are kicking this Whole30's butt!  I can't express how GREAT I am feeling.  I must admit, I'm a bit apprehensive about the days following and the reintroduction process. I have no desire to reintroduce "food" that I have cut out at this point, but I'm very excited to be able to have a beer or glass of wine next week.  I'm just curious if anyone has continued on a modified Whole30 w/out doing a complete reintroduction right away?  I'd like to continue eating this way for another few weeks, or so, after our 30 days is up, but I have a few things planned that I won't be able to choose what seasoning is on my meat (meaning there will possibly sugar) and I'll surely want a beverage or two. Is it "legal" to only reintroduce alcohol initially? 

Btw, I have been craving pumpkin like crazy (tis the season) so I thought I'd share the recipe I made on Sunday.  This stuff is AMAZING!  I have been eating it cold each morning along with my normal sausage and egg breakfast casserole and it's truly heavenly. 

http://www.louisianabrideblog.com/2015/07/breakfast-pumpkin-custard.html#.VhQdGzbD-Uk

Day 24 almost done. Less than a week to go. It's the homestretch. I found when I did my first one that it was at this point that I began to question my readiness to end at 30 days. I'm not as apprehensive about it this time as I've seen in the months between my first and this one that a better way of eating pretty much did stay with me. How's everybody doing?

Less than a week indeed! Been having a great week with going to the gym- nervous about this coming to an "end." I will go back to eating paleo (pretty darn close to the whole30) with a little cheese here and there. My problem isn't eating clean- I can do that; it is stopping the bad eating once I have one unhealthy thing to eat. Kind of the "well may as well eat whatever at this point" mentality. I guess it can be categorized as binging...I really don't want that to happen. I want to have self control when I decide to treat myself which I know I will want to do with the holidays right around the corner.

This is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I just looked at the calendar and you are right not much longer to go. I plan to stick close to what I'm used to now. I may add a little dairy one in a while. A pasta for special treats...because spaghetti sauce in string beans just wasn't the same. I will have to watch portions more if I add these things back.

How long is it recommended between challenges?

I'm planning to continue on after the 30 days.  I just feel like I need to go longer.  Does anyone feel like they aren't losing much?  I do.  I can tell I'm not as puffy and think I'm a bit more muscular & probably dropped fat but I guess I think I had high expectations.  I still love it though.  Just wondering if anyone else feels that way.  I'm sure it's b/c I haven't totally given up the nuts.  Have also eaten a lot more fruit than I ever did before.  Hmm.

I'm planning to go by the book when it comes to reintroducing food, but like a lot of others I think I'll stick with a mostly paleo diet for a while. I feel much healthier, and the digestive issues are much better. Some of that might be a result of cutting way down on raw veggies and eating more cooked food, so I'll keep doing that during reintroduction. I don't really miss legumes, so I'll start with dairy next week. Hard to believe we're so close to day 30.

With respect to reintroduction, it's really a good idea to take it slowly and add in things that are supposedly less of an issue (e.g., oats, beans). I was surprised last time when I ate dairy I could really tell... and for months afterwards dairy upset my stomach. So, the only way I learned to try to avoid it is by the slow reintro. 

I have a conundrum! A friend of mine is moving to another job role and we're having a get together at the local brewery next Wednesday evening. Yep, about five hours before the end of the Whole30. I would love to meet up with my friends and have a beer or glass of wine but I'm so anal I'm not sure I can do it! 

We are so close everyone! ... Yet so far. Just kidding. I'm having a tough day today so I thought I would write in here a little bit. Sometimes it helps to get my thoughts down.

Has anyone tried any new recipes they love lately?

I'm not really feeling the tiger blood today. I feel like I've become more sensitive to caffeine during this whole 30. How about anyone else??

Thanks everyone!

EACH OF YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION!!!  WE ARE SOOOO CLOSE TO PERSONAL VICTORIES!  We rock!  And, I agree with you guys... not as bad as I thought it would be, but I feel like I'm in hiding.  I've only told one friend, who I don't get to see very often, and my husband about my Whole30 expedition.  So actually...for me, the sugar dragon never knocked at my door, but friends, neighbors and work colleagues are BANGING at my door!!!!  I've been avoiding anyone and any event that could derail my mission.  No one has 'said' or 'confronted' me about my aloofness or all my excuses and declines... thank goodness!  But i'm sure they are wondering because my 'social behavior' these past 25 days has been completely out of character. 

One more weekend, guys!  I can do this.  I have to do this.  We can do this.  We have to do this!  We are stronger than we think!

TCT2015

[quote name="frogtox" post="343739" timestamp="1444324128"

I have a conundrum! A friend of mine is moving to another job role and we're having a get together at the local brewery next Wednesday evening. Yep, about five hours before the end of the Whole30. I would love to meet up with my friends and have a beer or glass of wine but I'm so anal I'm not sure I can do it!

Wednesday is actually day 31 if you started on the 14th, so you should be good to go! If I calculated correctly, anyway. Lol

Wednesday is actually day 31 if you started on the 14th, so you should be good to go! If I calculated correctly, anyway. Lol

Holy crap you made my day!! :lol:  I'm sure I'd have figured it out. Well, kind of sure.

Great job everyone. This is our last weekend... I'm looking forward to not spending quite as much time in the kitchen this weekend prepping for my week. :)

I'm so glad you can go and have a beer that's awesome! Wow day 26 go us! Woot woot!  It really does become second nature.  There's just aisles in the supermarket I don't even bother going down now. 

I actually think some of my lines round my mouth have smoothed out and so does everyone else who sees me.  Apparently I'm radiant :) I am looking forward to a drink though.  I've been really proud of myself as the last few weeks have chucked up some really stressful stuff in life and the wedding dress I've been working on hasn't been straight forward and I honestly thought I would cave and have a cig and/or a beer but no I dug deep.  I always said I was bad with commitment but turns out that isn't true :)

I'm not too nervous about reintroduction and I would really like to see some lentils and oats in my future but I'm going to steadfastly stick to limiting the sugar in my diet. It's so unnecessary and rubbish for you.

The day I hand over the wedding dress is my final day of whole 30 feels wonderfully symbolic.

Thank you all so much for you all help.  Here's to the last few days woot woot!

xxx

Holy crap you made my day!! :lol:  I'm sure I'd have figured it out. Well, kind of sure.

Great job everyone. This is our last weekend... I'm looking forward to not spending quite as much time in the kitchen this weekend prepping for my week. :)

First, do want to see the wedding dress!

Here are a couple of wonderful recipes I made this week.  This curry couldn't be easier.  Put it in the crockpot all day & dinner when you get home.

http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2015/04/slow-cooker-curry-cashew-chicken.html

Sick of raw or plain stemmed veggies?  This almond butter added to the vegetables was heavenly for a treat.  The kids LOVED it especially with some nuts sprinkled on top.

http://iowagirleats.com/2015/04/20/sesame-almond-butter-zucchini-noodle-bowls/

Archived