Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What IS this??

Ooh sorry :) it means no scale victory.  Day 3 is on the left and on right Day 6 and Day 15.  I can really see a difference in my skin and eyes.  Yay :)

Over the halfway mark people.  I'm making chicken zucchini (courgette) poppers tonight and some wedges and salad.  I was craving cheese yesterday and dreamt about it eating a cheeseboard with a bunch of Tudors hehe!  I didn't have any in real life though so all good.

Happy day everyone

xxx

post-78442-0-61597400-1443532145_thumb.j

I've decided Whole30 would be much easier for me if I liked bell peppers. I hate them, but they're in SO many recipes. Avocados too. 

What foods do you wish you liked more to make your Whole30 food prep easier?

Fried eggs or boiled eggs bleurgh!  I'm happy to take it in a frittata, omelette or scramble but only if I make it. I'm really weird about eggs but hey you can't have everything :)

I do love avocado to a ridiculous amount and am taking great pleasure in indulging heavily :D

xxx

Ooh sorry :) it means no scale victory.  Day 3 is on the left and on right Day 6 and Day 15.  I can really see a difference in my skin and eyes.  Yay :)

Over the halfway mark people.  I'm making chicken zucchini (courgette) poppers tonight and some wedges and salad.  I was craving cheese yesterday and dreamt about it eating a cheeseboard with a bunch of Tudors hehe!  I didn't have any in real life though so all good.

Happy day everyone

xxx

attachicon.gifwhole 30 progress 1.jpg

Lovely! 

I attempted to make ghee yesterday. Go figure target was out of cheesecloth (really?!) but I remember seeing that you can use a coffee filter. Note to self: do not make ghee without cheesecloth! I made such a mess it was ridiculous. I THINK I made it correctly but I will know for sure when I use it to make dinner tonight.

My insomnia is still really bad. Been going on a week now. I can't fall asleep until 3 am and my alarm goes off at 5:50. I tried Unisom, Benadryl, and sleepy time tea but nothing has worked. I am chalking it up to post pregnancy hormones (had a D&C Labor Day weekend) because I suffered the same thing after I had my daughter. I put a call in to my dr to get a script for ambien filled. It's been a rough week :(

I attempted to make ghee yesterday. Go figure target was out of cheesecloth (really?!) but I remember seeing that you can use a coffee filter. Note to self: do not make ghee without cheesecloth! I made such a mess it was ridiculous. I THINK I made it correctly but I will know for sure when I use it to make dinner tonight.

My insomnia is still really bad. Been going on a week now. I can't fall asleep until 3 am and my alarm goes off at 5:50. I tried Unisom, Benadryl, and sleepy time tea but nothing has worked. I am chalking it up to post pregnancy hormones (had a D&C Labor Day weekend) because I suffered the same thing after I had my daughter. I put a call in to my dr to get a script for ambien filled. It's been a rough week :(

So sorry you're having trouble with sleep. I've had insomnia a few times at different stage of life and it seriously makes everything in life so much harder. It's so amazing you've kept up with whole30 and are taking care of yourself! I really hope your doctor will be able to provide some help. 

Jmcbn, thanks for the advice on the spiced coffee! I was actually doing that a lot last year and completely forgot about it! I've currently been enjoying coffee brewed with some cocoa powder in the grinds and it's delightful both black and with coconut milk. 

I've kind of noticed that I'm really ok without most things. Recently my cravings have only been lasting a few moments and honestly don't really bother me most of the time. It's only when I get emotional about food that it seems hard. In the morning I honestly don't miss the milk and sugar in my coffee, but when I walk past the coffee shop I guess I remember all the good times I've had getting lattes and spending time with friends. It's like having treats makes me feel special and I'm not sure how to get that special feeling without the treats.

I was feeling very emotional yesterday and I knew in the past I would have gone out for beer and pizza with my husband to feel better. I knew I didn't need beer and pizza and wasn't even really craving it, but I just couldn't figure out how to get that "feel good feeling" without it. I'm feeling good that we're over half way through, but right now I'm feeling like I'd need another 100 days to really figure out the emotional and psychological side of all of this! 

I'm sorry for your loss... I hope you begin to get better sleep soon. Hugs. 

Gosh, I'm so sorry I missed this.... been there, done that sadly more than once - go easy on yourself & maybe up your starchy veg intake over the next few days - try keeping it to meals two & three & add in a magnesium supplement, or maybe try a relaxing bath in some epsom salts & see if that helps...

HolleeC teething sucks! How old? My daughter turned 2 August 8 so the only teeth we have left are her 2 year molars. She did great with all her teeth but the first molars. We used hylands teething tablets- all natural and very safe. She was never one to chomp on teething toys.

We are halfway done! I'm feeling pretty great about sticking within the Whole30 frame. My grocery budget was very limited this week so I am having to stick to the bare necessities which doesn't make it as exciting. Though I have carnitas in the crockpot for dinner and I'm SO looking forward to it. One of my favorite recipes.

Cbiggs85, thanks for the teething tablet suggestion. Last night, my 15 month-old son slept great!  Still woke up at 5, but slept through the night.  I'm sorry to hear about your rough week of sleep.  That really stinks!  I agree with kbkinn, it's awesome that you're still maintaining the Whole30 lifestyle.  I'm anxious to hear how your ghee turns out.  I have the cheesecloth, just not yet the ambition..and I, unlike you, actually managed to get some sleep!

Also, had my first dream of eating non-compliant food. In the dream I was eating corn chips, realized my slip-up and turned to eating a bowl of Cheetos! I woke up feeling so down on myself. It took a good minute or so to realize it was just a dream and there was no need to feel guilt.

So sorry you still aren't sleeping and especially to hear of your loss.  I've been through a D&C too and that stays with you.  You are doing exceptionally well and glad you are using this board.  The sleep is the one thing that affects my eating more than anything so I really feel for you.  Hang in there.  Hope your doc can help!

Update on me.  I've gotten a little lost on the posts and haven't been keeping up this week.  Still hanging in there but man it is hard for parents!!  I'm eating compliant but I'm not gonna lie.  I workout and still get hungry b/t meals.  I'm trying to eat bigger meals but I also come from the mindset of I can't make myself eat a ton if my stomach doesn't want it.  Forcing food is not healthy for me either.  I previously didn't eat a lot of fruit and now I am.  I consider that a good thing but often wrestle with is it okay or am I feeding the sugar dragon?  I know the answer from the moderators but I still feel like I am staying on program.  No Larabars for me this week which is a big step!

Last weekend was awful.  Driving kids all over the city for six games and/or practices for their sports.  Made it really difficult to prep food and found myself starving a couple of times.  Also had to give a presentation at a meeting Sunday night so didn't prep for the week.  Flying by the seat of my pants right now but am going to get food ready right now.  I just dislike spending my whole day dealing with food.  Bogs me down when really I need to be catching up on laundry, paperwork, etc etc.  Hoping the craziest of weekends is behind me and I can get organized once again.

Still keeping in mind we are over half way.  I too feel though that I need to go longer than 30 days for some reason.  Have convinced myself that restaurants have snuck dairy or sugar into my food somehow.  Ha, paranoia!  Just impossible to eat at home for 30 days.  At least I'm not dreaming of Cheetos.  :-)

Update on me.  I've gotten a little lost on the posts and haven't been keeping up this week.  Still hanging in there but man it is hard for parents!!  I'm eating compliant but I'm not gonna lie.  I workout and still get hungry b/t meals.  I'm trying to eat bigger meals but I also come from the mindset of I can't make myself eat a ton if my stomach doesn't want it.  Forcing food is not healthy for me either.  I previously didn't eat a lot of fruit and now I am.  I consider that a good thing but often wrestle with is it okay or am I feeding the sugar dragon?  I know the answer from the moderators but I still feel like I am staying on program.  No Larabars for me this week which is a big step!

Last weekend was awful.  Driving kids all over the city for six games and/or practices for their sports.  Made it really difficult to prep food and found myself starving a couple of times.  Also had to give a presentation at a meeting Sunday night so didn't prep for the week.  Flying by the seat of my pants right now but am going to get food ready right now.  I just dislike spending my whole day dealing with food.  Bogs me down when really I need to be catching up on laundry, paperwork, etc etc.  Hoping the craziest of weekends is behind me and I can get organized once again.

Still keeping in mind we are over half way.  I too feel though that I need to go longer than 30 days for some reason.  Have convinced myself that restaurants have snuck dairy or sugar into my food somehow.  Ha, paranoia!  Just impossible to eat at home for 30 days.  At least I'm not dreaming of Cheetos.  :-)

Are you eating pre & postWO meals on the days that you work out? These will definitely help prevent hunger... I'm guessing you're maybe just not eating enough fat in general though - have you a food log? Or would you like to post a few days worth of yuor typical intake so we can troubleshoot? It's not just about eating compliant foods - how you compose those coompliant meals is just as important...

I'm a parent too btw and I can assure you that once you get into the zone the food prep becomes second nature as you find your go to meals - I've found all sorts of short cuts over the years that mean I'm not tied to the kitchen all the time, but still eating healthy, compliant meals... It's helpful to have options like tinned fish, jars of olives etc on hand so you can throw together a meal with very little thought. I also ALWAYS freeze one portion of everything I cook so that as well as the food in my fridge I also always have a mixture of proper emergency supplies on hand on the off chance I'm ill or have some event that I need to attend & don;t have time to do prep...

Also, had my first dream of eating non-compliant food. In the dream I was eating corn chips, realized my slip-up and turned to eating a bowl of Cheetos! I woke up feeling so down on myself. It took a good minute or so to realize it was just a dream and there was no need to feel guilt.

I had a similar dream last night that I slipped--it was a Heath bar that got me. I woke up feeling relieved, and it reminded me of the smoking dreams that I still have, even 25 years after quitting.

Cbiggs85 I used to suffer from insomnia but I realise now if was linked to amenorrhoea and hormonal problems. (Due to overtraining and inadequate diet). I saw many doctors and none saw that link. It took a very long time to realise I was overtraining and not replenishing my carbs adequately after a workout. This went on for over 10 yrs. Sweet potatoes or other starchy carbs in the evening completely changed how I felt and slept. I know that has been mentioned I just wanted to show how important they are. I did eat carbs during that time but needed them in the evening. I was also low fat during that time which also would have been a factor I'm sure (typical old style bodybuilding type diet). Anyways after yrs of hormonal problems a few tweaks to my nutrition and now I have 3 beautiful children :)

Also I wanted to mention that the whole 30 has been the best nutrition plan I have ever followed hands down. I have been training in the gym for the past 15 yrs and I'm five feet 4 inches and sit around 58 kg- a healthy weight. I am eating more real food and more food in general than I ever have and my skin is looking so much better (no more protein powders!).

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's been hard to have an appetite lately because of inadequate sleep- when I'm over exhausted I just don't want to eat. But I have been making myself. I picked up the script from my pharmacy so fingers crossed it helps.

Oh lady bless you and all praise to you to be sticking with this when you've been through so much.  You're clearly made of the good stuff :) I really hope the sleep sorts out soon for you and wishing you every success in your whole30.

xxx

Day 17 squee!  Still feeling good though I've had a headache before bed the last couple of nights but it's not been awful and I wonder if it's to do with the fact I didn't suffer too dreadfully from the carb flu.  Either way that dragon is remaining extinguished.  I wish it a happy retirement in the spirit of my good nature :)

I've just started meditating with headspace as part of this journey and I'm feeling the benefit. To have the stillness before the day starts or before bed. I'm just doing 10 minutes but it's surprising how relaxed it can make you.  I forget how much we zoom through life and  the stress that can cause.

As well I realised yesterday that I've been surrounding by people with the lurgy (virus) for the last week or so.  Even my housemate/bezza has been struck and yet I remain unscathed.  It could be luck but I like to think it that all this is improving my immune system no end :)

Happy midweek people

xxx

Your weekend sounds like mine. 

I just wanted to add that I work out 4-5 times a week and struggled at first with getting hungry. As jmcbn recommended, I find that having a little something to eat prior to working out does help (even though I generally never do that) and then once I upped the amount of fat in my breakfast, getting hungry before lunch isn't a problem. In fact, I often have to force myself to get up and grab my lunch because it's time. 

I also feel like this way of eating is practically speaking, unsustainable especially for parents with little ones. You have to be more flexible than this plan allows. But, what my first one taught me is 1) how tightly my diet is connected to how I feel, 2) I'm worth spending a bit of extra time for when I have it and 3) how to prep new recipes and use new flavors (that's my favorite one). :)  Chances are you'll stray from the eating plan once you're done but you're learning a lot of valuable lessons about nutrition, physiology and will power that will last forever. 

Are you eating pre & postWO meals on the days that you work out? These will definitely help prevent hunger... I'm guessing you're maybe just not eating enough fat in general though - have you a food log? Or would you like to post a few days worth of yuor typical intake so we can troubleshoot? It's not just about eating compliant foods - how you compose those coompliant meals is just as important...

I'm a parent too btw and I can assure you that once you get into the zone the food prep becomes second nature as you find your go to meals - I've found all sorts of short cuts over the years that mean I'm not tied to the kitchen all the time, but still eating healthy, compliant meals... It's helpful to have options like tinned fish, jars of olives etc on hand so you can throw together a meal with very little thought. I also ALWAYS freeze one portion of everything I cook so that as well as the food in my fridge I also always have a mixture of proper emergency supplies on hand on the off chance I'm ill or have some event that I need to attend & don;t have time to do prep...

Thanks for the tips.  I do much of that.  Freeze a lot of the food I make.  

For breakfasts I am a typical egg breakfast girl.  Not into eating leftovers so I typical for me is two fried eggs, 1/2 avocado, sautéed chopped veggies (in coconut oil) or this morning it was potato/onion hash browns.  Maybe a little fruit at the end. 

Lunch is almost always leftovers.  Yesterday was chicken/beef meatballs in a tomato/veggie sauce (similar to spaghetti sauce) over baked spaghetti squash.  Some days I get a salad from the salad bar with grilled chicken, oil, & vinegar.

Dinner is always a Whole30 recipe.  Yesterday we had a chicken/veggie stew.  

I usually work out right after breakfast and then afterwards I have a couple of egg whites, often times a banana.  Coming home from a workout & having meat & potato is just not likely to happen with me.  I would do it more if I had some potatoes already cooked up that I can reheat.  I will say the last two days I've been snacking less but it is still likely that I may have black olives or almonds b/t lunch & dinner.

Preparation is the key for me but I've been making it work & haven't had a desire to go off plan.  Luckily.

Ok so I got decent sleep last night.  The doc put me on Lunesta which apparently has the side effect of a metallic taste in the mouth.  Drinking water tastes a little unpleasant but I'm trying my best to chug.

I have noticed that my jeans are feeling more comforable and that I am feeling less bloated, so I count that as NSV.  I haven't been to the gym as often as I would like but I physically can't on how little sleep I was getting.  Hopefully my sleep will continue to get under control the next couple days, giving me the energy to workout

Thanks for the tips.  I do much of that.  Freeze a lot of the food I make.  

For breakfasts I am a typical egg breakfast girl.  Not into eating leftovers so I typical for me is two fried eggs, 1/2 avocado, sautéed chopped veggies (in coconut oil) or this morning it was potato/onion hash browns.  Maybe a little fruit at the end. 

Lunch is almost always leftovers.  Yesterday was chicken/beef meatballs in a tomato/veggie sauce (similar to spaghetti sauce) over baked spaghetti squash.  Some days I get a salad from the salad bar with grilled chicken, oil, & vinegar.

Dinner is always a Whole30 recipe.  Yesterday we had a chicken/veggie stew.  

I usually work out right after breakfast and then afterwards I have a couple of egg whites, often times a banana.  Coming home from a workout & having meat & potato is just not likely to happen with me.  I would do it more if I had some potatoes already cooked up that I can reheat.  I will say the last two days I've been snacking less but it is still likely that I may have black olives or almonds b/t lunch & dinner.

Preparation is the key for me but I've been making it work & haven't had a desire to go off plan.  Luckily.

Try upping the eggs at breakfast. When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Instead of the banana post workout, do try to have potatoes or another carby veg instead. Fruit is not advised pre or post workout.

Until you get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours (play with the protein, veg and fat portions of your meals), if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein carb and fat, or at least two of those components. 

Archived