Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Quick breakfasts are on my neeeeed list too.  I ran into a similar issue this morning, but instead of making myself late and making something, I ran out the door with my cup of coffee.  I knew I had leftover raw veggies at the office..and a spoonful of almond butter, and called that breakfast.  Not great.  I'd love some ideas too!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Holleec.  That stinks.  My husband is the same way.  It's great and I'll even muster some encouraging words...but it better not affect me!  He doesn't want me to be stressed or more irritable and he wants to have "good" food..and enough of it.  It's an obstacle for sure!  

Somehow, it's working this time for us.  I'm somehow not as stressed about meal prep as I have been on my past "tries" for Whole30s.  I think it's my attitude that's changed.  I'm somehow more at peace with this whole thing this time around.  The husband does his own thing for Breakfast and Lunch..I'm just responsible for dinner (or supper as we call it).  It's usually completely Whole30...then a side dish of grains for him.  I think this time he's actually appreciating the healthier dinners.  

You can do this on your own!  You've made it through the toughest days..and the meal prepping / planning is "supposed" to be becoming more second nature...soon.  Keep it up!  You can do it!

For breakfasts I make a casserole it frittata and I have it for the week. Frittata can be eaten cold which is handy in the car and the casserole just needs to be warmed up and I eat it out of the Tupperware. Saves me SO much time in the morning during the week.

TGIF and happy day 12!

• Moderators

For all of you looking for quick breakfast ideas, google whole30 breakfast to go or something along those lines, it's been discussed in the forum multiple times.

Egg casseroles, frittatas, egg muffins, meatballs, burger patties, or cooked chicken can all be made ahead of time and either heated up or eaten cold. Keep raw vegetables chopped up in the fridge, if you're in a hurry just grab them to take with you, or if you have a few minutes, you can cook them. Salads (and not just the leafy green ones, try http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/27/belly-dance-beet-salad/) can be made ahead and packed up to grab and go. There are a lot of options.

Hey everyone! 

Days 10 & 11 were rough! On the morning of day 10 I felt great and even thought to myself "I can't imagine feelings like I want to quit, I just feel so great!" But for whatever reason things went downhill pretty quickly. By the end of the day I was cranky, fussy, and completely unpleasant to be around. Everything seemed like a bigger deal than it was and I just wanted some darn comfort food. My attitude the next day was still pretty ugly, but not quite as bad. I really think my brain was just starting to pitch a fit over all the things I couldn't have. I wasn't even having a craving, I just wanted to go out to a restaurant and eat as much as I wanted just because. 

Today is day 12 and I'm feeling SO MUCH BETTER. I think I might have just unfortunately experienced "The days you'll most likely quit" and "kill all the things" at the same time. Phew. 

Happy day 12 to us all! I also had a few moments yesterday, not craving anything in particular but wanting the ease of my former eating habits. My tummy is feeling a lot better though, which was the reason I wanted to try Whole30, so that's working as a powerful incentive. And in general I have a lot more energy, especially in the morning. Not dragging myself around when I get up is odd, but nice.

I will try googling for more breakfast ideas. Like others, my morning routine is a bit harried. I have discovered that leftover roasted acorn squash is delish for breakfast, drizzled with a little ghee. So this morning I heated that up with leftover grilled chicken and steamed kale. I'm getting used to eating dinner food for breakfast. Food is food, as it turns out.

Happy Friday everyone.

Hi.  I'm on Day 13 and jumping in on this thread.  All of you are awesome!  I just came home while my boys are at soccer practice.  Turned on some Pandora and grabbed a wine glass.  Squeezed some lime in and poured me some seltzer.  And i've got a side of olives going on too.  Having a Whole30 Friday night party!  Anyone else out there...?

Cheers to the end of Day 13.  

Here I come Day 14!

TCT2015

I went camping with my family last weekend and everyone came down sick. I even got tonsillitis along with my 7 month old. It has definitely been a challenge Sticking to whole 30 while caring for a sick (non sleeping) baby and a 3 and 5 yr old whilst being sick myself. I did stray a bit from the eating plan but stuck to compliant foods. I made a couple of curries with coconut and ground beef and ate plenty of fruit as it was pretty much all I could eat (oranges/papaya/mango ). I felt it was too much of a challenge sticking to template and had no desire to eat proteins for a couple days. I'm back on the template meals today...but will most likely extend my whole 30 anyway....I am proud of myself still Sticking to compliant foods as all I felt like making was tinned soup!

Thanks much KKT for your kind input. I really appreciate hearing about your experience. You're right, I can totally do this. We all can. We all are! Thanks to all of you for your stories and amazing encouragement.

After my initial morning frustrations, I ended up feeling really awesome; energized, productive, happy. Tonight made the coconut curry chicken with cauliflower rice -so good! I'm truly amazed with how well I'm handling avoiding evening snacks. That has always been my downfall, and now I rarely miss them. I'm definitely getting the difference between eating for hunger vs. eating out of habit or due to crunchy cravings.

How has everyone's weekend been? I did some food prep yesterday (roasting chicken drumsticks and making pumpkin soup) and today I'm going to possibly attempt making some ghee and make a frittata for breakfasts this week.

It's officially fall here in Chicago which means everything pumpkin- what I would do for a pumpkin spice latte right now :(

The weekend is going well, cooking a lot for the week ahead. Citrus carnitas from "Well Fed" are very yummy, even better the next day as the flavors mingle. I've been trying a lot more spicy dishes than in the past, maybe replacing sugar with spices. I'm still surprised that I'm not craving sugar, or anything else. Fascinating little journey. Happy 2-week mark to us all!

My work schedule has stayed crazy 7 straight 14 hour days with no end in sight until next weekend. So I'm doing easy meals. Bought a few bags of mixed fresh vegs that I steam/ sautéed. Roasted a chicken to toss in with the vegs for lunch. Finger food for breakfast - avocado, mini cukes, a burger from the dozen I cooked on the grill, eggs and veg for supper....what's amazing is everyone else looks so ragged from the hours and pressure. Someone asked me why I was looking so fresh, energetic and positive. I've told them 3 good meals, plenty of water and getting as much sleep as I can. No internet surfing, no tv..: It would have made sense to quit on this as my schedule is so wild, but now I'm seeing that this is actually helping me be successful during this very stressful stretch!

Cbiggs pumpkin is the best! I miss the autumn season living in Australia now after growing up in Canada. Franpfleiger those carnitas sound great will have to try. Mistyfire you are an inspiration doing all that on your schedule. I'm nearing the end of my maternity leave and I want to keep eating this way....but I know it will be a challenge. I always find it hard to stick to healthy eating when things get busy and stressful. Will have to start cooking on the weekend big batches.

My weekend was tough. I almost quit Saturday because I simply didn't have any groceries on hand and am sick of the food prep. I honestly don't think I'm eating enough because of it, and am feeling headachy and tired today. I had 16,000+ steps on my fitbit (4 mil running, 2 hrs kickball, gardening, shopping) and all I had was an egg scramble, a bowl of chicken salad and a bowl of chili all day (although I did get to watch my family eat takeout burgers and fries :P).  I did a pretty good job at the store yesterday though so will prep some meals tonight and think I'll have an okay week.  I wish we were further along than day 15 though.. I'm struggling. :( 

Sorry to hear you had a rough weekend frogtox. I was headachy and dragging yesterday too. I think you're right in the not eating enough. I squeezed in an extra mid-afternoon mini-meal and that seemed to help lift my energy. I also took a mini-nap, which I almost never do. After dinner (quick roasted potatoes and broccoli with avocado and grilled tilapia), I actually felt like cooking again, and have a Shepard's Pie waiting for me to pop in the oven tonight. After a rough night of my toddler's multiple wakings (he's teething -any suggestions on relieving that are welcomed!), having dinner figured out is so comforting! Here's to a hopefully, energized fabulous week ahead to you all!!

HolleeC teething sucks! How old? My daughter turned 2 August 8 so the only teeth we have left are her 2 year molars. She did great with all her teeth but the first molars. We used hylands teething tablets- all natural and very safe. She was never one to chomp on teething toys.

We are halfway done! I'm feeling pretty great about sticking within the Whole30 frame. My grocery budget was very limited this week so I am having to stick to the bare necessities which doesn't make it as exciting. Though I have carnitas in the crockpot for dinner and I'm SO looking forward to it. One of my favorite recipes.

I think overall week 2 went really well. There were definitely some low points with my mood and a few instances of eating compliant foods out of a desire to snack as opposed to hunger. This week I'm really trying to focus in on why I want to eat food when I'm not hunger, trying to figure out if it's an emotional trigger or just out of habit/boredom. I didn't take any time to really meal plan for this week, but I have plenty of fresh meat and vegetables on hand so hopefully I'll be able to pull this off. I have Melissa Joulwan's best grilled chicken brining in the fridge, and everything I need for salsa chicken and carnitas (sounds like a bunch of us are having carnitas this week!).  Planning on cooking big enough batches for that to last us most of the week! 

I definitely hear everyone on missing out on the fall and pumpkin goodies! The grocery store nearby has a starbucks at the entrance and as I was walking in I thought to myself "oh I have a gift card! I'll just grab a pumpkin spice latte." The thought only lasted a second and I wasn't really that bummed when I realized I couldn't actually get one, but I do think I might try to make a pumpkin curry sometime soon just to get the taste of pumpkin haha. I did grab a box of the gluten-free pumpkin pancake mix from trader joe's for after whole30 though. It might not be the healthiest food out there, but it's kind of a tradition for our family and I'm excited to see if the gluten-free variety is more gentle on the tummy. 

Day 15 is starting out a little rough for me. I ate only about half my breakfast, and although I brought a great lunch (chicken drumsticks and beet salad), I just picked at it. Maybe the microbes in my gut are rebelling and wondering where their daily feast of dairy, grains, and sugar went. Here's hoping they get on board soon. I'm not feeling awful, just indigestion combined with no appetite.

Or it could be that I've been using hotter spices and more onions than I'm accustomed to. I might try dialing that back.

...definitely hear everyone on missing out on the fall and pumpkin goodies! The grocery store nearby has a starbucks at the entrance and as I was walking in I thought to myself "oh I have a gift card! I'll just grab a pumpkin spice latte." 

If you brew your own coffee you could always try adding some pumpkin spices (like cloves, cinnamon bark & nutmeg) to your coffee grounds prior to brewing..... I used to grind my own beans and would add whole cloves, bark & freshly ground cinnamon into my grinder before turning it on - works a treat!

Day 15 is starting out a little rough for me. I ate only about half my breakfast, and although I brought a great lunch (chicken drumsticks and beet salad), I just picked at it. Maybe the microbes in my gut are rebelling and wondering where their daily feast of dairy, grains, and sugar went. Here's hoping they get on board soon. I'm not feeling awful, just indigestion combined with no appetite.

Or it could be that I've been using hotter spices and more onions than I'm accustomed to. I might try dialing that back.

Onions can be problematic but don't usually cause a decrease in appetite - the lack of appetite can just be a phase for some people, but could it be that you are coming down with something?

If you brew your own coffee you could always try adding some pumpkin spices (like cloves, cinnamon bark & nutmeg) to your coffee grounds prior to brewing..... I used to grind my own beans and would add whole cloves, bark & freshly ground cinnamon into my grinder before turning it on - works a treat!

Onions can be problematic but don't usually cause a decrease in appetite - the lack of appetite can just be a phase for some people, but could it be that you are coming down with something?

Thanks, it's very possible I'm catching something--lots of folks in my office have been battling the crud. I got back to eating my lunch at about 2:30, and my appetite is slightly better. I'll head to bed early tonight and keep drinking water (not in that order!).

My weekend was tough. I almost quit Saturday because I simply didn't have any groceries on hand and am sick of the food prep. I honestly don't think I'm eating enough because of it, and am feeling headachy and tired today. I had 16,000+ steps on my fitbit (4 mil running, 2 hrs kickball, gardening, shopping) and all I had was an egg scramble, a bowl of chicken salad and a bowl of chili all day (although I did get to watch my family eat takeout burgers and fries :P).  I did a pretty good job at the store yesterday though so will prep some meals tonight and think I'll have an okay week.  I wish we were further along than day 15 though.. I'm struggling. :(

Same here!  No plan is soooo bad for me.  Time to plan back up and push through.  I'm also sad that this is ONLY day 15...but it IS day 15!  I terribly need an attitude adjustment.  I've been having the no appetite thing too...and keep feeling like I'm hurting my metabolism by not eating enough.  I need to eat bigger breakfasts.  I'm over eggs.  Ok..thanks for letting me vent.  I feel better already :) 

I went camping with my family last weekend and everyone came down sick. I even got tonsillitis along with my 7 month old. It has definitely been a challenge Sticking to whole 30 while caring for a sick (non sleeping) baby and a 3 and 5 yr old whilst being sick myself. I did stray a bit from the eating plan but stuck to compliant foods. I made a couple of curries with coconut and ground beef and ate plenty of fruit as it was pretty much all I could eat (oranges/papaya/mango ). I felt it was too much of a challenge sticking to template and had no desire to eat proteins for a couple days. I'm back on the template meals today...but will most likely extend my whole 30 anyway....I am proud of myself still Sticking to compliant foods as all I felt like making was tinned soup!

Wow you're super dedicated good for you :) It's one thing to be doing it but to be doing it whilst sick and with a sick bubba. You're going all the way!

My work schedule has stayed crazy 7 straight 14 hour days with no end in sight until next weekend. So I'm doing easy meals. Bought a few bags of mixed fresh vegs that I steam/ sautéed. Roasted a chicken to toss in with the vegs for lunch. Finger food for breakfast - avocado, mini cukes, a burger from the dozen I cooked on the grill, eggs and veg for supper....what's amazing is everyone else looks so ragged from the hours and pressure. Someone asked me why I was looking so fresh, energetic and positive. I've told them 3 good meals, plenty of water and getting as much sleep as I can. No internet surfing, no tv..: It would have made sense to quit on this as my schedule is so wild, but now I'm seeing that this is actually helping me be successful during this very stressful stretch!

Go you! That takes some doing with all the hours but it's clearly paying off :)

xxx

Wow can't believe we are now over halfway! I'm still coming on well but have really a beer and a cigarette a good few times in the last few days but I've ridden it out. I still can't get my head round that I'm  not snacking and I'm okay with that.  I was eating about 8 times a day before. I've always been a grazer and a picker.  so do not be tied down and at the same time no being starving hungry feels great.

I've also had an NSV.  I can really see the change in my skin and face.  I feel like I'm glowing.

Happy Tuesday everyone

xxx

Awesome job everyone!!

We are getting there! I can't believe we've made it this far. Don't give up!!

This is my third whole 30 and my favorite one so far!! I thought I felt good the other times, but this one I feel even better and have so much energy!! It's just amazing!!

We do still have a couple weeks though, so I'll just have to make some different meals and switch things up a bit. Otherwise it gets tough and I'll want to quit.

I made hamburger vegetable soup today and that waS delicious.

I also splurged and bought espresso roast from Starbucks. It is so good as black coffee.

We will still have time to enjoy pumpkin treats and fall goodies, lattes, etc when we are through with this!

I am looking forward to that but am focusing on the benefits of whole 30 for now!

Thanks everyone!

Archived