Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Just checking in to say I added about a tbsp of cocoa powder and few shakes of pumpkin pie spice to my coffee grounds this morning and it tastes amazing! Had my coffee with coconut milk and it honestly felt as special as drinking a fancy latte, minus the sugar crash! 

Hope everyone is having a great week! 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first dinner out on this W30. It was last minute so I didn't get to pick or preview the menu. Luckily they could grill a steak with no butter or additives and i had my own oil and vinegar for a fresh salad. What was interesting was I thought my seltze/ lime would stand out in the drink orders but no one even noticed!

So I'm the one that started this thread, and oddly enough I assumed I would get emails if people responded and when I never got any emails, I completely forgot about it. Then I checked today and saw an AMAZING thread had formed! I'm working on reading through everything now. 

Beginning of Day 18 and going strong. I'm not feeling drastically better, but I'm definitely not feeling bad. Things are just good, clear, and safe feeling if that makes sense. I've been majorly tempted and almost succumbed a few times, but I continue to push through. 

I still have cravings though...like I'm not going to give in, but at THIS point I feel like abandoning the reintroduction process and I'm planning my meals for Day 31. I'm really hoping this feeling fades soon, because I don't want it to be like that. Anyone else still majorly missing old foods? (My biggest being CHEESE, also craving pizza)

-Meg | Read my updates here -> itsmegdean.com

• Moderators

So I'm the one that started this thread, and oddly enough I assumed I would get emails if people responded and when I never got any emails, I completely forgot about it. Then I checked today and saw an AMAZING thread had formed! I'm working on reading through everything now. 

Beginning of Day 18 and going strong. I'm not feeling drastically better, but I'm definitely not feeling bad. Things are just good, clear, and safe feeling if that makes sense. I've been majorly tempted and almost succumbed a few times, but I continue to push through. 

I still have cravings though...like I'm not going to give in, but at THIS point I feel like abandoning the reintroduction process and I'm planning my meals for Day 31. I'm really hoping this feeling fades soon, because I don't want it to be like that. Anyone else still majorly missing old foods? (My biggest being CHEESE, also craving pizza)

In your user profile, you can choose to receive emails about discussions you follow.

For the cravings, the single most important thing you can do to get rid of the cravings is to make sure you're eating plenty of food at your meals, and that your meals meet the meal template. Have at least a palm-sized portion of protein at each meal (a serving of eggs, if they're your only protein source, is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand). Have at least a thumb-sized portion of fat at each meal, not counting your cooking fat (you can drizzle olive oil or sesame oil over your vegetables, add mayo, have a heaping handful of olives or coconut flakes, make sauces to go on your food). Have 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal (aim for three, and if your veggies at a meal are all raw leafy greens, aim for even more, as those tend to wilt down to nothing as you eat and often will not keep you satisfied between meals). At least once a day, have a serving of starchy vegetables. If you work out, have pre- and post-workout meals as needed, in addition to your three meals a day.

Also understand that even if you do all of that, there may be times when you just crave stuff -- for most women, during the week leading up to their period, they find they are really, really hungry and craving carbs, and they need to eat even more than usual. That's fine. Add more starchy vegetables, add more fat, and know that that feeling will pass in a week or so.

I was just wondering this morning if you were in or out--glad you are in and thanks so much for starting this forum! It's been a great help to me.

Welcome back Meg.  This is a great group you started!  Can relate to missing pizza and cheese in general.  My poor kids....they have not had pizza since I started this.  Hasn't seemed to kill them though.  Ha.  The entire family is loving that I cook ALL of the time.  Me on the other hand.....wishes she had a full-time Whole30 chef.

I'm doing pretty good... but getting tired of roasted vegetables.  I'm ready to mix it up with some dried fruit and nuts.  Anyone know about W30 compliant dried fruit?  I can't find a good thread!  ;)

Yeah, with good reason - dried fruit is pretty close to candy & will feed your sugar dragon. The fact you're looking to add it in tells me you're not eating enough fat...

How are your typical meals looking? Are they keeping you full for 4-5hrs? Can you try adding in some greens for variety?

If you REALLY want to add in dried fruit & nuts try to incorporate them into meals (like garnish on salads) and limit them to every few days, otherwise we'll see you in 'Troubleshoot Your Whole30' in 10days or so  ;)

Yeah, with good reason - dried fruit is pretty close to candy & will feed your sugar dragon. The fact you're looking to add it in tells me you're not eating enough fat...

How are your typical meals looking? Are they keeping you full for 4-5hrs? Can you try adding in some greens for variety?

If you REALLY want to add in dried fruit & nuts try to incorporate them into meals (like garnish on salads) and limit them to every few days, otherwise we'll see you in 'Troubleshoot Your Whole30' in 10days or so  ;)

Actually I"m going to be traveling over several days.  On the lake with friends.  So I'm looking for something I can have immediately on hand.  Also, it's handy for after working out.   I wanted to have some cashews and dried fruit.

Actually I"m going to be traveling over several days.  On the lake with friends.  So I'm looking for something I can have immediately on hand.  Also, it's handy for after working out.   I wanted to have some cashews and dried fruit.

How about compliant jerky instead? Compliant baby pouches of veggies? Compliant tuna or salmon pouches?

The post workout recommendation is protein and optional carb: no fruit or fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

Chris has given you some good alternative options for travel & has explained the postWO recommendations.

I'd just add that fat postWO will slow down absorption of protein to the muscles needed for repair & growth, and the dried fruits will restore liver glycogen when you want to restore muscle glycogen.

Also worth noting is that the liver is the only organ which can process the fructose in fruits where it is stored as fat.

How about compliant jerky instead? Compliant baby pouches of veggies? Compliant tuna or salmon pouches?

The post workout recommendation is protein and optional carb: no fruit or fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

Ah!  I always forget nuts are fat and not protein.  I would love some jerky but haven't found any around here.  I love the baby pouches.  Haven't tried tuna or salmon.

So glad to see you. I've been wondering if you knew what you had started! Nice to know you're still on this adventure.

Happy Friday! I finally got put back on my old medicine so I slept last night. ALL NIGHT! what a relief after a week of this! I stayed home from work yesterday because of lack of sleep Wednesday night and my food was less than stellar. 100% compliant but I didn't eat much because I was SO tired. Today will be much much better.

Anyone have fun weekend plans? Sunday I'll be going to the local pumpkin farm but aside from that, nothing too crazy.

I've been feeling run-down the past couple days, with stomach pains and zero appetite. I've been eating a lot of cold or room-temp leftovers for lunch and dinner, and also a lot of raw veggies, and none of it appealed to me last night. So I made some hot food--roasted acorn squash, chicken drumsticks, and steamed green beans--and voila! my appetite, and my energy, returned and my stomach pain went away. I brought leftovers I can heat up for lunch and plan to have a hot dinner also. It could be that my chronic gut problems are related to eating a lot of raw fruit and veggies, which I do out of convenience.

With the weekend coming up, I'll be able to eat a lot of hot, cooked food and I'll see if I continue to perk up. This eating regimen continues to be a fascinating adventure!

Let's do this people!!!!  I'm wrapping up my day 20 right now.  I just made my fingers stop browsing my usual web sites.... and made my way back to this forum and all the conversations available to us.  Too many temptations out there so i've found my nights browsing this forum.  I feel so much safer with you guys!  I'm sipping on some Kombucha and seltzer ... in a WINE glass.  My husband makes fun of me when i randomly announce what day Whole30 i'm on.... i have sticky notes in our bedroom that i get to rip off every night... and even a set on my computer at work.  i love being able to 'cross action items' off.  Oh... and i've scheduled a massage for Day 31.  You?

Hanging' tough (at this moment in time!)

TCT2015

Hardest day EVER.  First....don't go perusing Pinterest!  Went on for the first time in a while as I was going to make Halloween treats for the kids for an event.  OMG...the sweets recipes.  I really haven't dealt with cravings and man did that bring it on.  I will say I got some great Whole30 recipes though so just do a search for that.  I am now obsessed with coconut milk & making curries!

Had our school carnival today and guess what event mine was to volunteer for?  You guessed it. The cake walk.  On top of that I went to the cupcake shop and picked up the yummiest cupcakes (or so they appear) for my donation as I didn't even want to attempt to bake. Talk about putting myself in major difficult situations.  (oh, and my kids won cakes so of course have sweets at home.  Luckily they both look gross. :)

Loving the fall weather and my clothes.  Helps to feel great on Whole30!

I'm tempted once in a while but can only imagine what it would be like to up close and personal with baked goods every day. It's easy for me to dodge them, but with kids I imagine it would be about impossible. Glad you're hanging tough jdubkc.

The past couple days I've been sticking with cooked veggies rather than raw and my tummy is so much happier. Same with fruit--in fact, I made the "fried apples with bacon and pecans (Well Fed p. 147) and it's amazing. Even better warmed up the next day. 

Happy day 20 everyone.

I'm tempted once in a while but can only imagine what it would be like to up close and personal with baked goods every day. It's easy for me to dodge them, but with kids I imagine it would be about impossible. Glad you're hanging tough jdubkc.

The past couple days I've been sticking with cooked veggies rather than raw and my tummy is so much happier. Same with fruit--in fact, I made the "fried apples with bacon and pecans (Well Fed p. 147) and it's amazing. Even better warmed up the next day. 

Happy day 20 everyone.

Warm apples sounds so delicious right now! 

I keep going back and forth between feeling like I'm cured of my cravings and having pretty intense cravings. I have noticed that my cravings are almost always related to feeling extra tired or emotional. Staying hydrated and making sure I'm getting enough fats and carbs definitely helps, but it's been a challenge. I've definitely found myself in the almond butter jar a few too many times over the past few days. I think I'll be leaving almond butter off the grocery list for next week. 

Just checking in. TMI TMI TMI I got my period Thursday so my cravings have been screaming. I know; eat more starchy veggies which I have been doing. I have definitely been eating quite a few nuts these past couple days which I have been so good about avoiding. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day!

I'm loving my parchment paper! It's been in the 40's here and I'm just too stubborn to turn the heat on this early so my weekend cook up has been roasted vegs. Roasted eggplant, red peppers, cauliflower, broccoli,green beans, spaghetti squash, carnival squash, zucchini. Did sauté mushrooms and onions. I'm set for a week's worth of Mel Joulwan's hot plates. My kitchen is toasty. But, oh the parchment paper! Reusing the same sheet. And, oh, the minimal cleanup! And the vegs taste so good this way.

I'm loving my parchment paper! It's been in the 40's here and I'm just too stubborn to turn the heat on this early so my weekend cook up has been roasted vegs. Roasted eggplant, red peppers, cauliflower, broccoli,green beans, spaghetti squash, carnival squash, zucchini. Did sauté mushrooms and onions. I'm set for a week's worth of Mel Joulwan's hot plates. My kitchen is toasty. But, oh the parchment paper! Reusing the same sheet. And, oh, the minimal cleanup! And the vegs taste so good this way.

Roasted veggies are my FAV. especially squashes and sweet potatoes. Yum

Just checking in. TMI TMI TMI I got my period Thursday so my cravings have been screaming. I know; eat more starchy veggies which I have been doing. I have definitely been eating quite a few nuts these past couple days which I have been so good about avoiding. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day!

Well done you lady! My period started the day I started this but I decided there was no ruddy going back! Go us :)

Hi all,

Just having a catch up.  This is such a lovely supportive thread and it sounds like everyone really is doing their best to dodge the slings and arrows.  I've been on the downlow because the wedding dress I was making has turned into an utter labour of love.  Making a dress out of silk satin is really ruddy hard.  I won't go into detail but it took me nearly 3 days to cut and sew the skirts but I'm out the woods now.  Many times I've wanted wine and a cigarette but I fought it and not fallen off the waggon food wise. I even ate olives, which are my nemesis!  I think we all have more willpower than we realise.  I also think I'm quite mad to be making a wedding dress, doing the whole30 and all during mercury retrograde.  Though I read a bit more about it yesterday and it is the time to rethink health and take better care of ourselves.

I can't believe as well how accurately my experience is following the timeline.  I had mad food dreams on Saturday night and woke up yesterday morning with cravings and a lump in my throat.  I felt so sad and wobbly but then I took a look at the timeline and there it was - day 21 the body will make a last ditch push for sugar- it's mad how it all works isn't it?!  I'm lucky in that I've alway been a good sleeper so that's no different but I can see changes in my skin and I'm not having any brain fog and no afternoon slumps.  So I think things are going in the right direction.

Well done us!  Happy day 22 lovely people :)

xxx

Archived